ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee @ Vanderbilt (SEC Alternate), 6:30PM, September 1, 2018

I do think Ke'Sbawn Vaughn is better than the 2017 version of Ralph Webb. Ralph was never healthy last season and the toll of running for 4 years in the SEC finally caught up with him. Webb in 2016 was really good.

The key to the matchup for me will be whether MT can establish any run game at all. That's been the difference in the last 3 matchups. MT hasn't been able to run it at all. If they can, Stockstill and the RPOs become a lot more dangerous.

If you look at Webb when he played, Vandy was a much better offense. They just were. Like I said, we've faced Vaughn before and Webb in the same year. Webb was a sophomore while Vaughn was a freshman I believe. No comparison. Not saying he won't be good but Webb was a special player that knew how to carve us up. While the 2 are somewhat similar on paper, they are totally different players and Webb's instincts are far better. Webb knew how to adjust his body to get to the second level. He was patient and knew when to explode through a block and then knew when to properly adjust to a defender in order to get extra yards. He had natural instincts and other intangibles you simply can't teach or duplicate. You can't say Vaughn is better because he hasn't done anything yet and he hasn't had a healthy season since 2015.

Not having Webb and 2 of your better WR's is gonna hurt VU this year. It will all be on Liscomb. If he gets hurt, VU is done for 2018 period. He is now your version of our Richie James last year. James was the main weapon to begin the year and we had to overcome a lot in order to replace him after the injury. By the end of the season and in our bowl win, we finally did. In the SEC, VU won't get that chance.

You made a great point about our run game and that's a key area where we will improve this year. Thomas is 6'4 240 lbs. When he got called up to play mid season last year, he made an instant impact. He's actually better this year so far. West and Anderson are right behind him. This is the best true backfield we've had in a long time. However, the line will be the biggest improvement. We have more experience this year and more beef up front with some newcomers that will be in the rotation.

It's gonna be a good game.

I read thread. We actually are better this year. Surprise will be ours. I do worry about us at the OT position. Do we really have that fixed with a 6-2 280 lb. kid?

Yeah, that one poster is an idiot. We will be a much more complete squad this year. It was funny that he mentioned Richie. Richie only played in 4 games last year. We got better as a team when we stopped leaning so heavily on him. That has helped the transition to some of our other upcoming WR's. Run game will be better. Our O-line is way better.

The 6-2 280 lb. kid you mentioned is playing center I believe and that's a normal size for a center. Here's the beef of the line and most of these players will be in the rotation...

55 . Carlos Johnson . OL . 6-3 . 338 . SR . Nashville, TN
73 . Chandler Brewer . OL . 6-6 . 320 SR . Florence, AL
62 . Jack Mitchell . OL . 6-2 . 297 . SR . Murfreesboro, TN
71 . Angelo Owens . OL . 6-4 . 295 . SR . Deerfield Beach, FL
72 . Josh Fannin . OL . 6-3 . 281 . JR . Hoschton, GA
54 . Ty Watkins . OL . 6-1 . 291 . SR . Oklahoma City, OK
63 . Eric Golston . OL . 6-3 . 307 . JR . Long Beach, CA
-- Jacob King . OL . 6-4 . 313 . FR . Brentwood, TN
79 . Cole Kirby . OL . 6-4 . 313 . FR . Franklin, KY
60 . Jahlil Ryles . OL . 6-3 . 314 . FR Phenix City, AL
61 . Eric Seay . OL . 6-1 . 319 . FR . Albany, GA
70 . Tyler Falvey . OL . 6-4 . 321 . FR Altamonte Springs, FL
59 . Dawson Bragg OL . 6-6 . 303 . FR . Goodlettsville, TN
65 . Marcus Greer . OL . 6-3 . 299 . FR . --

There is one more area that if we improve in, we will have a great year and that's turnovers. If we can take care of the football, we will be in position to win every game we play in this year with the exception of UGA.

Here's another article that questions the seriousness of vanderbilt regarding their football stadium's severely needed upgrades. It mention's Middle Tennessee's plans regarding it's athletic complex, along with other non $ec program's upgrades...

Is Vanderbilt serious about renovating football stadium?

I don't think Vaughn is as good as Webb but I don't remember us shutting him down either. I think he got around 90 yards, off the bench, when we played at Illinois.

Looks like we didn't do a good job of spacing OL scholarships out. Next year will be rough.

I don't think Vaughn is as good as Webb but I don't remember us shutting him down either. I think he got around 90 yards, off the bench, when we played at Illinois.

We had a punt blocked and gave up a TD and missed a very makable FG. We lost by 2 points. We didn't lose because of him. We lost because we were sloppy on special teams. That was a Nix D running base as well not a Shafer attack style D. When Webb played we lost because of him period. See 2015 in the last 2 minutes, 2016 hurdle jump completely over our defender and 2017 when he caught a TD out of the backfield. Webb completely broke our backs every time we played him. Vaughn hasn't even played in 2 years.

Last edited:
Luckett supposedly is starting at RT. He is 6-2 267

Even if he starts, there's a thing called a rotation of players and adjustments will be made with a lot more beef than we've had in a long time if not ever. This is the most 300+ pounders that I've ever seen on the roster at OL. Also, look at Vandy's line now. They aren't exactly tipping the scale.

Also, the new S&C coach will be a factor as I have heard that he has been an upgrade with a different training approach combined with improvements in nutrition. This is an unknown variable that could yield great returns.

Reactions: MTsumner92
excerpt:

...The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders will look to build on a decent 2017 campaign that saw MT finish with a 6-6 record, including a 4-4 mark in C-USA play to finish in a 3-way tie for 3rd in the C-USA East division, giving the Blue Raiders a berth in the Camellia Bowl where Middle Tennessee defeated Arkansas State by a final score of 35-30. Brent Stockstill is back under center for the Blue Raiders after being injured for part of last season, but still threw for 1,672 yards, 16 touchdowns and 8 picks on 57.7% passing last season. Ty Lee is back to lead the receiving corps after far and away leading the Blue Raiders in receiving with 79 catches for 955 yards and 5 TDs last season. Defensively, the Blue Raiders boasted one of C-USA’s best defensive units after allowing 357 yards and 25 points per game last season with a solid pass rush and the best part for Middle Tennessee is that eight of the 11 starters are back for this season. The key to MT’s success this season is can the team stay healthy because the parts are all there on both sides of the ball to do some serious damage this season.

The Vanderbilt Commodores will look to bounce back after a frustrating 2017 campaign that saw the ‘Dores finish 5-7 with a 1-7 record in SEC play, finishing only ahead of Tennessee who didn’t win a single conference game last season in the SEC East division. Kyle Shurmur leads the Commodores under center once again after leading a Vanderbilt offense that put up 24.6 points and 351 yards per game last season. The problem is that the Commodores have to replace Ralph Webb after Webb moved on to the NFL leaving a Vandy offense that racked up just under 1,300 yards and 14 touchdowns on the ground last season. The ‘Dores will rely on Illinois transfer Ke’Shawn Vaughn to be the physical back in the Vandy backfield. Defensively, the Commodores will have to be better after allowing 34 points per game in seven of their last ten games to finish the 2017 campaign, each of those seven games Vanderbilt lost by the way. Vanderbilt lost 8 of their top 13 tacklers from last season, but Jordan Grifin is back in the linebacking corps after finishing 3rd with 62 total tackles last season, including 8.5 tackles for a loss. Only time will tell if this is the time for Vanderbilt to shine or if the Commodores will revert back to old habits a la 2017.

Middle Tennessee is 2-6 ATS in their last 8 games against the SEC and 1-5 ATS in their last 6 road games while the under is 9-3-1 in their last 13 games overall. Vanderbilt is 12-1 ATS in their last 13 games against C-USA and 1-4 ATS in their last 5 home games while the under is 4-0 in their last 4 non-conference games. The road team is 5-1 ATS in the last 6 meetings between these two teams.

Historically, Middle Tennessee has regressed in this matchup, most recently losing 28-6 in last year’s matchup, which initially had me leaning towards Vanderbilt at home. However, while Shurmur has plenty of experience under center for the Commodores, the fact is that Vanderbilt still has a ton of question marks and holes to fill after losing quite a few starters from last season. Middle Tennessee had a ton of success down the stretch with Stockstill back under center, and this is the Blue Raiders’ best chance in a while to pull off the upset against their in-state rivals.....

This was an interesting tidbit in the article.

"There are still some decisions to be made, though. Most notably, competition will continue for the next few practices along the offensive line and in the receiving corps offensively, and defensively, some injuries to linebackers and defensive backs have bred more contests."

What injuries?

Looks like the coaches are shuffling around some offensive lineman. I have always loved Kirbys film and Martin was a Juco all-american. Surprised one of these two have not cracked the starting line-up.

Let Kirby or Martin play Left Guard and move Behanon to Right Tackle. That would make me feel better. Behanon was solid at LT during the end of the season.

I still have nightmares about the Vanderbilt game last year where Carlos Johnson and Luckett were absolutely embarrassed. They looked like flat footed high school junior varsity tackles out there going against NFL all pro's. I cringed every time the ball was snapped. In all my years watching MT football I have never seen our offensive tackles dominated and man-handled in the way they were last year against Vanderbilt. If that happens again, you can expect similar results or worse on the scoreboard.

Franklin was very complimentary of Johnson during camp so hopefully he's better than last year. A lot better. Because he and Luckett were absolutely DOMINATED last year.

Looks like the coaches are shuffling around some offensive lineman. I have always loved Kirbys film and Martin was a Juco all-american. Surprised one of these two have not cracked the starting line-up.

Let Kirby or Martin play Left Guard and move Behanon to Right Tackle. That would make me feel better. Behanon was solid at LT during the end of the season.

Martin looks alright on film. Of all the linemen we signed, Wil Gilchrist's film really stood out to me. Dude looks like an absolute bully out there on the field. Plays with great leverage, clearly has exceptional upper body strength, and can play anywhere on the line despite not having a prototypical frame of a tackle. I suspect Gilchrist will be plugged in as an interior lineman, but he could easily play tackle and play it well IMO. Quite surprised he didn't receive more attention on the recruiting trail.

Who was the lineman who was injured in camp? torn ACL or something? Hopefully wasn't Gilchrist. Gilchrist can help us this year if healthy.

What is our section? im buying 8 tickets for my family and some more MT alums coming in from Memphis

If Massaro does somehow manage to get this series renewed, he needs to hire Slappy Mac as Vandy Game Coordinator and give Stock that week off, and do not let him anywhere NEAR the practice facilities or game. MacPhee needs to use his connections with the Bahamas and send him there for the week

Reactions: Iback????
Vaughn had 6.2 yards per carry that time. But they didn't have a decent QB like Vandy seems to have. The QB rating of the Illinois guy that day was an abysmal 18.5

The only good win for Illinois that season was a 14-13 defensive struggle upset over Nebraska. Not that all of this make a huge difference in 2018, but something makes me not like our chances too much on West End. They seem to get momentum when they end the previous season with a win over the little orange.

Stockstill just guaranteed on that coaches show that Vanderbilt will not "out-compete" us on Saturday.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

This is the most confident I ever heard stock be in a press conference

True.

This game really is quite simple in my eyes. Can Luckett and Johnson hold up at the Tackle positions? We were absolutely destroyed by their front 7 last year and were lucky to not lose by more. If our offensive line cannot block again this year or open any holes for the run game, we'll put up single digits again and get blown out and laughed out of Nashville. Our offensive line has to man up here or we got no shot.

Offensively, Tony Franklin and his style of offense have traditionally not fared well against Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt's man coverage and press man traditionally give Air Raid offenses issues, especially in the red-zone. TF also employs a lot of zone based concepts in his run game which again, Vanderbilt's style of defense is good at shutting down. To beat a team like Vanderbilt, you've gotta line up and physically whip them. It's difficult to "out coach" their defense because they have a very athletic group that is disciplined with great sideline-to-sideline speed.

With regards to our defense, I believe our defense will do a better job this year versus last year, especially in the 1st quarter. Our defensive line is insanely talented and deep, and despite losing DJ Sanders, I don't think we miss a beat at LB. We've got 2 all conference safeties in Blankenship and Jovante Moffit. Obviously, we are replacing 2 corners so that's going to be tough. I'm not totally sold on Darryl Randolph personally and I think they will try to pick on him.

I'm expecting a low scoring game, with probably a special teams deciding play late in the 2nd half that determines the outcome.

Last edited:
Vaughn had 6.2 yards per carry that time. But they didn't have a decent QB like Vandy seems to have. The QB rating of the Illinois guy that day was an abysmal 18.5

The only good win for Illinois that season was a 14-13 defensive struggle upset over Nebraska. Not that all of this make a huge difference in 2018, but something makes me not like our chances too much on West End. They seem to get momentum when they end the previous season with a win over the little orange.
Yawn. Webb was a force. 2 different RB's. Apples and bowling balls IMO. People are making Vandy out to be some massive upgrade over Illinois. LOL. They both are kinda the same IMO. We haven't played Vandy very well lately so I hope we can show up but it's not because we didn't have the talent or ability. Last year a week after the VU game, we went up to Syracuse and beat them and they went on to beat Clemson and cost them another shot at a NC.

Ralph Webb owned us. It will be different this year without him.

Last edited:
Vaughn had 13 rushes for 80 yards, 6.2 yards per carry.

Webb who played us one week later that year had 155 yards and literally broke our back. He singlehandedly won that game that we had in the bag. He was and is twice the running back. I love how these fans think they are just gonna replace a guy like Webb who was one of the best backs in the SEC collectively. They better hope Vaugn is as good because if he's not, they are done before they ever start.

Webb who played us one week later that year had 155 yards and literally broke our back. He singlehandedly won that game that we had in the bag. He was and is twice the running back. I love how these fans think they are just gonna replace a guy like Webb who was one of the best backs in the SEC collectively. They better hope Vaugn is as good because if he's not, they are done before they ever start.

Vaughn came off of the bench later in the game. The starting RB had 83 yards. They had 163 yards combined. Has absolutely zero impact. Webb was a tremendously tough runner with great vision, but wasn’t nearly as big as Vaughn. He took a beating as the season went on, which isn’t surprising. This is Vandy’s deepest stable of RB’s that I’ve seen in the last 20 years or so. We’re going to need young WR’s to step up. 4-star Cam Johnson from Brentwood Academy has been impressive as well as C.J. Bolar. However, they are young. Jared Pinkney, TE, has NFL ability, but disappeared late last year. X-factor to me is going to be the OL. It’s the deepest group we’ve had at some time. Reagan and Skule will play in the league. Special teams is concerning, but it is every year.

Vaughn came off of the bench later in the game. The starting RB had 83 yards. They had 163 yards combined. Has absolutely zero impact. Webb was a tremendously tough runner with great vision, but wasn’t nearly as big as Vaughn. He took a beating as the season went on, which isn’t surprising. This is Vandy’s deepest stable of RB’s that I’ve seen in the last 20 years or so. We’re going to need young WR’s to step up. 4-star Cam Johnson from Brentwood Academy has been impressive as well as C.J. Bolar. However, they are young. Jared Pinkney, TE, has NFL ability, but disappeared late last year. X-factor to me is going to be the OL. It’s the deepest group we’ve had at some time. Reagan and Skule will play in the league. Special teams is concerning, but it is every year.

I was at the Illinois game my friend so I remember it well. LOL. I saw both Vaughn and Webb in person and there is no contest. You're on crack if you think a kid who hasn't played in 2 years is gonna come out and outrun Webb. Vaughn got hurt in 2016 so he's not iron man. LOL. I do agree that he has talent but Webb had the X factor. You can have all of the depth in the world but production is the key. I also agree about your OL being good but this is a line that won 5 games last year not 10. We won 7 including a bowl game with most of our play makers injured and an inexperienced OL. VU is not Bama. The key to this game in my eyes is stopping VU from getting a quick start like last year. After the first quarter, we only allowed 7 points so I think we will fare much better than we did last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT