ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (2-6, 1-3) @ New Mexico State (6-3, 4-1), 5PM, Saturday, November 4, 2023

No, it is weaker. Substantially weaker by every metric out there.
Out of all of the teams that went to the AAc, only one team has done well. 3 of the new teams that have joined CUSA hve 7 wins already. JLiberty and ax st would mmurder every one of those teams except maybe UTSA. They's murder the SBC defectors as well. NMMSU would probably beat them too so I can't see how we are any weaker than we were. None of those teams that left did a dang thing to help this conference be better. UTSA had 2 good years right before they left. They sucked eggs before that. Samme for FAU, UAB was so bad they canceled their programm. They comme back and were good but where were they from 02-2015? UNT was booty, Rice had one good year and has been booty. I could go on. Perception and reality are hardly ever on the same page. G5 rakings are worthless anyway because it's all about the mmoney anyway.

Out of all of the teams that went to the AAc, only one team has done well. 3 of the new teams that have joined CUSA hve 7 wins already. JLiberty and ax st would mmurder every one of those teams except maybe UTSA. They's murder the SBC defectors as well. NMMSU would probably beat them too so I can't see how we are any weaker than we were. None of those teams that left did a dang thing to help this conference be better. UTSA had 2 good years right before they left. They sucked eggs before that. Samme for FAU, UAB was so bad they canceled their programm. They comme back and were good but where were they from 02-2015? UNT was booty, Rice had one good year and has been booty. I could go on. Perception and reality are hardly ever on the same page. G5 rakings are worthless anyway because it's all about the mmoney anyway.
That’s because they are in a tougher league. All the other teams they are now playing are more challenging than playing us and what’s left here. The new teams here are doing well because this league is weak and sucks.

The comparison that Im referencing was conference to conference not whether those that came in were any better or worse than those that left. Though we would certainly still be losing to North Texas, FAU, Marshall and ODU this year the point is probably moot. I would imagine any one of those teams would be playing Liberty in the title game. The fact that a team that hasn’t gone to back to back bowls in 60 years is vying for the conference title with a few weeks left in the season ought to be a pretty good signal of how weak this league is now. And yet we’re sitting here with one FBS win.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaiderDeez
What’s Rick’s buyout if we fired him after the end of the year? I feel like it should be in the 5 million range.

That’s because they are in a tougher league. All the other teams they are now playing are more challenging than playing us and what’s left here. The new teams here are doing well because this league is weak and sucks.

The comparison that Im referencing was conference to conference not whether those that came in were any better or worse than those that left. Though we would certainly still be losing to North Texas, FAU, Marshall and ODU this year the point is probably moot. I would imagine any one of those teams would be playing Liberty in the title game. The fact that a team that hasn’t gone to back to back bowls in 60 years is vying for the conference title with a few weeks left in the season ought to be a pretty good signal of how weak this league is now. And yet we’re sitting here with one FBS win.
Those teams sucked in our conference and they will suck there because they suck. Every now and then they will win but they consistently suck overall. They suck even worse than us consistently over a 10 year span. That's how bad they are.

Jerry Kill received a $25,000 bonus for reaching his seventh win.

Had Rick defeated NMSU and won out to get to his sixth, his contract's value would have increased by almost a million dollars. This is the most f'd up thing I've ever seen.
His contract is how Stock's should have been. Very incentive laden with $ bonuses for beating rivals, power teams, and bowls. A shorter contract, and no auto extensions.

It even has void clauses in it if the AD leaves and next in line isn't promoted, and if certain facilities upgrades aren't completed. NMSU did it right.

The original contract was probably written the way it was because CRS was a hot commodity at the time. ECU, Memphis were all sniffing around. I think the admin expected him to leave and we would receive a substantial buyout to let him go. Unfortunately, didn't work out that way and REALLY does not explain the recent re-structuring. We're just f'd.

The original contract was probably written the way it was because CRS was a hot commodity at the time. ECU, Memphis were all sniffing around. I think the admin expected him to leave and we would receive a substantial buyout to let him go. Unfortunately, didn't work out that way and REALLY does not explain the recent re-structuring. We're just f'd.

That's not how it was structured. All we would get out of the deal was a return home game from where ever he went had he left or a low sum from the new school (like $200K IIRC). That's a fraction of a guarantee.

There was never at any point in the past, present, or future that a coach should ever receive a contract like this. Ever. It's never happened before and shouldn't have happened here. It's inexcusable. That said, I could have lived with and let go of decision on the original contract, because the automatic extensions and raises were capped after five seasons. Ok. Low bar, but at least there is a cutoff and a ceiling.

But then they just decided to say F it who cares if we destroy this program and its fane base.. It was the, I'll give you a $100K a year for three years in exchange for three extra seasons PLUS respawning the auto extensions. That's a pretty good deal for Rick. He doesn't even have to give up to the $300K. He simply has to delay its arrival in exchange for an additional $2.7M guaranteed and the chance to earn millions more just by getting to a very low bar of seven wins. So, that's one. Second, the absurd secret deal done that made his auto extensions for perpetuity AND they freaking lowered the bar back to six wins. How bout growing the program? Nah let's just see if we can set a regression model in place. They might as well have lowered the win total after each year he hit. Hit six wins this year? Just five next year. That's literally the only thing they could have done worse. It's just an epic spitting in the face of all of us when the administration knew this is a huge problem for the entire fan base and what drove people away.

There's a valid reason why people think this is intentional. Only Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne could have come up with a worst plan and thought it was brilliant. But then again maybe that's exactly what we have. Dumb and Dumber. With Gomer being the smartest one.

His contract is how Stock's should have been. Very incentive laden with $ bonuses for beating rivals, power teams, and bowls. A shorter contract, and no auto extensions.

It even has void clauses in it if the AD leaves and next in line isn't promoted, and if certain facilities upgrades aren't completed. NMSU did it right.
We're stuck with Massaro who is as big an idiot as Stockstill.

In '09 we'd just finished a 10 win season, our first bowl win, and our coach was wanted (although I wonder if Stock's agent talked that up a bit) and a contract extension made sense. Setting the bar as bowl eligible made sense.

It's the later contracts that are awful as MT01 said. Not only maintaining that only bowls are good enough, but lowering the wins to the bowl bare minimum. They should've increased as contracts were signed, extensions made. Win requirements weren't though. Start off with bowl eligibilty a few years as the benchmark. Then make it 9 wins. Then champs only. Common sense. How this was ever a good idea I'll never know.

I've said it before and even told Lee this. I'd guarantee that
A...not paying the $6m buyout is doing more than $6m harm to the program
B....they'd recoup a large large chunk of that $6m the second Stock is gone. Another third when CM is gone, the rest when McP is gone. Move up Lee and Hans and they'd come out in the black from that $6m buyout.

I really like Barry Odom's contract at UNLV
Making the Mountain West Conference Title Game: $50,000.
Winning the conference title: $50,000.
Making a bowl game: $50,000.
Getting into the Top 25: $25,000.
Winning Mountain West Conference Coach of the Year: $25,000.

Though I would flip making a bowl and getting into top 25. The latter is much difficult. So, just look at that aside from his base salary. He earns $100,000 for winning a conference championship. Think about it for just a moment. He gets $100K for winning a title. Stock gets almost a million for not even sniffing a title so long as he gets five fbs wins plus an fcs win. It's so utterly absurd. Now, think about this a little bit more, because UNLV hasn't had a winning season in a decade. They've literally had nine consecutive losing seasons. Odom, in his first year with a incentive laden contract? They are 7-2 and have a very good shot at playing for a MWC title - something they have never done.

If I were an AD I would set it up very similarly to this.

Making Conference Title Game: $50,000.
Winning the conference title: $50,000.
Making a bowl game: $10,000.
Getting into the Top 25: $25,000
Finish Season in Top 25: $50,000
Making Major Bowl: $75,000
Making Playoff: $100,000
Undefeated Season: $250,000
Winning Conference Coach of the Year: $25,000.

In '09 we'd just finished a 10 win season, our first bowl win, and our coach was wanted (although I wonder if Stock's agent talked that up a bit) and a contract extension made sense. Setting the bar as bowl eligible made sense.

It's the later contracts that are awful as MT01 said. Not only maintaining that only bowls are good enough, but lowering the wins to the bowl bare minimum. They should've increased as contracts were signed, extensions made. Win requirements weren't though. Start off with bowl eligibilty a few years as the benchmark. Then make it 9 wins. Then champs only. Common sense. How this was ever a good idea I'll never know.

I've said it before and even told Lee this. I'd guarantee that
A...not paying the $6m buyout is doing more than $6m harm to the program
B....they'd recoup a large large chunk of that $6m the second Stock is gone. Another third when CM is gone, the rest when McP is gone. Move up Lee and Hans and they'd come out in the black from that $6m buyout.
I feel sorry for Lee and Hans. I question if they truly knew what they were getting into when they took the jobs.

I just feel they had to be misled about the state of the department.

I feel sorry for Lee and Hans. I question if they truly knew what they were getting into when they took the jobs.

I just feel they had to be misled about the state of the department.
I've wondered that as well which is all the more reason I want them to have a shot at fixing it. We all know they will leave eventually. We are a G5 after all. But what they have done under the circumstances is just absolutely incredible. Imagine what they could do with the right coaches in place and winning in the two major revenue sports.

They deserve a shot. I just hope they get it.

I've wondered that as well which is all the more reason I want them to have a shot at fixing it. We all know they will leave eventually. We are a G5 after all. But what they have done under the circumstances is just absolutely incredible. Imagine what they could do with the right coaches in place and winning in the two major revenue sports.

They deserve a shot. I just hope they get it.
Absolutely...

Interesting call with Justin and Darrin.

The Michigan guys call was ok. He’s a relatively new fan and he misses the point entirely on why it’s so bad here and I wish these guys knew more to really present the solution and how we got here.

They kinda circled around it at the end…but

What a mess this program is in.

The Michigan guys call was ok. He’s a relatively new fan and he misses the point entirely on why it’s so bad here and I wish these guys knew more to really present the solution and how we got here.

One of the callers mentioned that their friends / family don’t want to go to games b/c of current state of program. That’s what I keep hearing from folks “back home.”

Right or wrong, that’s where the program is at this point and it won’t change until Stockstill is gone.

Hate it for the players. Hate it from a $$$ standpoint. Hate it for the program.

Reactions: ewglenn
One of the callers mentioned that their friends / family don’t want to go to games b/c of current state of program. That’s what I keep hearing from folks “back home.”

Right or wrong, that’s where the program is at this point and it won’t change until Stockstill is gone.

Hate it for the players. Hate it from a $$$ standpoint. Hate it for the program.
mASSaro wrote that contract that has us in a permanent headlock. 7 Wood signed off on it. It simply is what it is. There is no solution and fans have options . It's a business and they run it like a government or a charity.

J&D missed a golden opportunity to address the elephant in the room and whiffed badly. They said they were going to “talk about” Michigans comments after the break but did not. Both caller touched on what us long timers are feeling but no one in the media what to shine alight on the problem. They just mirror what the administration says. Everything is fine nothing to see here

J&D missed a golden opportunity to address the elephant in the room and whiffed badly. They said they were going to “talk about” Michigans comments after the break but did not. Both caller touched on what us long timers are feeling but no one in the media what to shine alight on the problem. They just mirror what the administration says. Everything is fine nothing to see here
If the media actually did their homework, they would see. He said "it's hard to fire a coach winning bowl games". We are on our 3rd losing season in five years. On EVERY metric, vs winning teams, vs rivals, bowl record, champ record, he has a losing record. And I wouldn't be surprised if he is under .500 after this season.

How in the hell anyone can justify keeping a coach with a losing record in everything is beyond me. All the media looks at is "oh, he's making bowls and is at .500. Good for a G5 in SEC territory.". Look at Troy. In the same freaking state as Alabama and Auburn. Don't see them being "good for a G5" do you?

What do you mean right or wrong? What's happening here is unprecedented. It's never happened in the history of Division I football before. The only thing wrong right now is what's happening on campus, the decision making that led us here, and the decision making that enables and fosters it. The culture is wrong not the fans, not the alumni, not the community. Not a single person should be judged for avoiding that place like the plague. And I say this not as someone who is personally boycotting but as someone who legitimately expressed some degree of disappointment or sadness every game we had poor attendance. It literally used to hurt my heart to see it.

Yeah, it was an epic waste of my morning.

I used to listen to 104.5 most of the day, and about a year ago I switched to 102.5. MT talk is rare, and I understand why. The athletic program fumbles most all opportunities to give people a reason to talk. However, Im surprised they never talk about what’s going on with the contract situation. It’s interesting in the world of college football in that it’s so bad and rare. I wish the local media would start talking about this and put a spotlight on the athletic department

I used to listen to 104.5 most of the day, and about a year ago I switched to 102.5. MT talk is rare, and I understand why. The athletic program fumbles most all opportunities to give people a reason to talk. However, Im surprised they never talk about what’s going on with the contract situation. It’s interesting in the world of college football in that it’s so bad and rare. I wish the local media would start talking about this and put a spotlight on the athletic department
I used to listen to various sports talk, because I was in and out of the car as I traveled across the midstate each day until I finally retired a few years back. I remember when MT MBB got into the play in NCAA game in Ohio and a couple of the 104.5 guys traveled to cover it, that and the MSU win a few years later were the most MT talk I heard.

I heard a portion of this live y'day and searched for it when I got home from the basketball games last night. I wish the guys calling in had been more aware of what the issues are.

Those teams sucked in our conference and they will suck there because they suck. Every now and then they will win but they consistently suck overall. They suck even worse than us consistently over a 10 year span. That's how bad they are.
Seriously bro’, you used the word “suck” 5 times in 3 sentences. Might want to up your game from a grammar standpoint 😳😊😎

• Haha
Reactions: ewglenn
What do you mean right or wrong? What's happening here is unprecedented. It's never happened in the history of Division I football before.
Right or wrong = fans reaction & response to Stock (not buying tickets, not coming to games).

I get BOTH sides of the argument. I won’t look down on a fan who continues to attend, but I won’t look down on a fan who doesn’t go.

if I lived in the Boro, I’m not sure I’m making time to go to EVERY game. Quality of play just isn’t worth it.

FWIW, I think folks in the Boro area are incredibly lucky to have a FBS program so close. It takes me about 90 minutes to get to the closest FBS program (Sam Houston) and probably 2.5 hours to get to an established FBS program like Houston, Baylor, & TAMU,

We just left Murfreesboro and moved. We never missed a game or a tailgate. After leaving I felt like I wasted a ton of money and time. The time spent with friends was awesome. The product stunk. I wish it was different. I’m done until real change occurs.

Reactions: MarJac23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT