ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (12-17, 6-8) vs Liberty (17-12, 6-8), 6PM, Tuesday, March 5, 2024

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
LIBERTY UNIVERSITY

Enrollment: 15,000
Arena: Liberty Arena (4,000)
Colors: Red & Navy Blue Nickname: Flames
Head Coach: Ritchie McKay
Record at School: 226-113 (11th Season) Career Record: 367-242 (22nd Season)
2022-23 Record: 27-9, 15-3 22-23 Finish: 2nd ASUN 22-23 Postseason: NIT Second Round
Starters R/L: 3/2
Letterwinners R/L: 10/5
Roster: Flames

ESPN+
Classic Hits 93.3 - 95.1 - WGNS 101.9 FM/1450 AM/100.5FM

Last edited:
Halftime

MT 33
LU 30

Team Comparison
STATISTICLUMT
FG%60%33%
FGs12-2010-30
3FG%40%46%
3FGs4-106-13
FT%50%88%
FTs2-47-8
TOs135
PtsOffTO414
TotReb1614
DefReb158
Off Reb16
2ndChPts07
BenchPts43
PtsPaint166
FstBkPt09
Blocks30
Steals26
Assts47
Times Tied:5
Lead Chg:4
LeadTime10:135:54

I have enjoyed attending the tourney live. I never went to a game at Frisco but going down to Birmingham is not the worst trip to watch good tourney basketball.

I don't think we are going to make a lot of noise but I would love to be surprised.

My parents live just north of Huntsville and my mom works part time at the VBC as a bartender. Looking forward to this conference championship.

Last night was good. i thought a few times they may give up, but they never do. Interesting end to the game as well. Liberty didn't go into fouling, and then we just held the ball to get a turnover and they just inbounded it and closed out the game.

Reactions: GMClemson33
Didn't watch but when you look at the box score, that is winning basketball.

13-14 from FT line (93%)

9 turnovers to 12 assists

10-23 from 3 (43.5%)

Won rebounds 32-31

I'm surprised we didn't win by more. It's a shame this team plays so much differently on the road.

Reactions: ewglenn
100% Blue Raider Basketball to play its best towards the end of the season. I guess thats better than the flipside of that. La Tech likely to be a harder out.

100% Blue Raider Basketball to play its best towards the end of the season. I guess thats better than the flipside of that. La Tech likely to be a harder out.

Indeed. So frustrating though to go back and look at some of these OOC performances earlier in the season. Some terrible losses to some terrible teams like UIC, Wofford (dog shit conference, bullied us on our home floor), Southern Utah, Murray State.

If you take away the D2 scrimmages we are still just 11-17 vs. D1 competition. They've won just one true road game all season.....insane. And we havn't played a single Power 5 school. Every game should have been a winnable contest except maybe the trip to St. Mary's....

The team is admittedly playing better now (at home) but still hasn't been a good season overall and I'm highly suspect of any meaningful results in the conference tournament.

Unless we somehow win the tournament and make the NCAA's, we still need to move on from McDevitt. This isn't anywhere close to good enough for a coach that's been here 6 years. I'd like to think we have some standards....

Not sure why they think they can get 100 percent buy in when management of the basketball program is so bad.

New direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrueBlue147
....Unless we somehow win the tournament and make the NCAA's, we still need to move on from McDevitt. This isn't anywhere close to good enough for a coach that's been here 6 years. I'd like to think we have some standards....
Let's assume we lose to LaT (it is away). We most likely would have to play them again if we get a 4/5 or 8/9 seed. There is a scenario we get the 3, but unlikely. We are playing better but so are they, and they were better to begin with.

I personally don't see us winning it all and see McD finishing with a losing record for 4 of 6 years. IDK how if they keep him they have any kind of standards at all.

Heck, depending on Sat and if we have to play the 8/9 game, even if we won the tourney he could still have a losing record on the season.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
Chris has said multiple times that he goes off conference records. We’re 7-8 there. I’m hoping to go ahead and lose out so hopefully they make a change.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Chris has said multiple times that he goes off conference records. We’re 7-8 there. I’m hoping to go ahead and lose out so hopefully they make a change.

There is no way an AD is going to look at one season and make a determination on all of that. Massaro will make a decision based upon the totality of the circumstances. If he does that that there is absolutely no way Massaro could bring him back for another year. If he does do so then a) it would defy any logic to retain when weighing the totality (which is not a good luck for CM) and b) any good will he conjured up by finally ridding us of Stockstill will evaporate quickly.

You all know my position on this situation for sometime. Frankly, he shouldn't have been the coach this year. And when you're picked to win your very bad league but can't get to . 500, have as weak of a non-conference schedule as we did but still can't get to .500, and come into the season with what a 30-40% win pct, this is more of a no brainer than firing Stockstill.

There is no way an AD is going to look at one season and make a determination on all of that. Massaro will make a decision based upon the totality of the circumstances. If he does that that there is absolutely no way Massaro could bring him back for another year. If he does do so then a) it would defy any logic to retain when weighing the totality (which is not a good luck for CM) and b) any good will he conjured up by finally ridding us of Stockstill will evaporate quickly.

You all know my position on this situation for sometime. Frankly, he shouldn't have been the coach this year. And when you're picked to win your very bad league but can't get to . 500, have as weak of a non-conference schedule as we did but still can't get to .500, and come into the season with what a 30-40% win pct, this is more of a no brainer than firing Stockstill.

I expect CM to justify keeping CNM based on going 7-9 this year after losing Cam and then look at the winning conference record over the past 3 seasons combined while ignoring the first 3 years in CNM’s tenure.

Not that I disagree with you at all. I think CNM should have been fired after year 3.

I just never expect Chris to do what seems like the obvious choice.

I expect CM to justify keeping CNM based on going 7-9 this year after losing Cam and then look at the winning conference record over the past 3 seasons combined while ignoring the first 3 years in CNM’s tenure.

Not that I disagree with you at all. I think CNM should have been fired after year 3.

I just never expect Chris to do what seems like the obvious choice.

I think your math might be a little off. He’s only had two 500+ conference records. And one of the two was barely so at one game (11–9). He’s had one surprise good season out of six. The rest have been mostly atrocious. Pretty easy to project a loss to Tech so that will put him at 46-60 in league play over six years. There is no way to sugar coat this. He’s had way more than enough time. No coach should be given this many years with that kind of performance - EVER.

For comparison sake Randy Weil was significantly better overall (84-90) and that was a terrible tenure. I know a good number here see it and know he should be gone but there are some others who think more time is deserved. This fan base gets conditioned to losing and seems to just lie down and accept it.

I think your math might be a little off. He’s only had two 500+ conference records. And one of the two was barely so at one game (11–9). He’s had one surprise good season out of six. The rest have been mostly atrocious. Pretty easy to project a loss to Tech so that will put him at 46-60 in league play over six years. There is no way to sugar coat this. He’s had way more than enough time. No coach should be given this many years with that kind of performance - EVER.

I am not arguing with you that Nick McDevitt should be gone. He should have been fired after 2020-2021. I am saying I don’t think Massaro will fired him.

I believe Chris will make an excuse like this: he will say Nick has an overall winning conference record over the past 3 years (31-22 with one game left) and will excuse this year’s 7-9 or 8-8 due to injuries.

It comes across like you are arguing with me when we agree: Nick McDevitt should not be our coach. I am just predicting the weak excuses I expect CM to use to justify not firing McDevitt this year.

I am not arguing with you that Nick McDevitt should be gone. He should have been fired after 2020-2021. I am saying I don’t think Massaro will fired him.

I believe Chris will make an excuse like this: he will say Nick has an overall winning conference record over the past 3 years (31-22 with one game left) and will excuse this year’s 7-9 or 8-8 due to injuries.

It comes across like you are arguing with me when we agree: Nick McDevitt should not be our coach. I am just predicting the weak excuses I expect CM to use to justify not firing McDevitt this year.
Fair enough. Thought you were saying he had three seasons with a winning record in conference. If he does what you think he will then my other two prior comments apply. Lacks no rationality for an AD to keep a coach with this kind of performance over six years AND it would unwind any good will created over Stockstill/Mason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT