ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (2-6, 1-3) @ New Mexico State (6-3, 4-1), 5PM, Saturday, November 4, 2023

Does anyone think MT's record under Stockstill would be equal to Liberty's or NMSU's record with their schedules. After 18 years of the same BS, if you think so, you haven't been paying attention.
Bingo.

Just look at WKU. Same strength as us, yet they could be 8-4 and in the champ game.

Where are we?

• Sad
Reactions: RaiderDeez
Where are we? We're looking for where we placed our checkbook so that we can write another $1M to CRS.
WKU has no chance to win vs. Liberty and if Jax St. would be there too if it wasn't for the stupid rule. WKU might be there but didn't earn it so it's a moot point. They are a half step up from us in reality.

May I ask a question? Who has NMSU played? They have had a cupcake schedule. They've lost to Hawaii and UMASS. The 6 wins they have had are against the worst teams in our conference including West Illinois. We have had BAMA, MIZZOU, JAX, WKU and Liberty. They have only faced Liberty so far. Even CSU is better than every team they've played except Liberty. Anyone will look good facing their schedule thus far.

They may very well lose their next 4 games to go 6-7. Not exactly world beaters.
Fair assessment

A very true and valid point. I look at it this way. A coach's job is to win the schedule they are given. We haven't. Is it on Massaro? Yes. Is it on Stock for not having his team ready? Even moreso. I agree though this two or three power teams a year mess needs to stop.

No one cares Liberty hasn't played anyone. Air Force's strength of schedule is 131/133 yet they are in the top25 of the CFP and possibly a NY6 bowl. They nor Liberty nor NMSU have a power team this year.

Regardless of how long Stock has been here, it is his job to win. Vs Mizzou we were 3rd & 8 needing a TD with 3min left to win at their 42. Got a 10yrd holding call. Coaching. We blew 2nd half leads against CSU, Jax, and Liberty. Coaching.

NMSU is avg only 5.44 penalties per game. We are at 7.25 and avg over 62yds per game. Air Force, 24. That's coaching.

Can also view it this way which I think paints the most accurate picture. Remove FCS and you have the following avg strength of schedule.
* Liberty 133....8-0
* Jax 102....5-2
* NMSU 99...5-2
* JMU 96....6-0
* Air Force 92....7-0
* UNLV 92....5-2
* Troy 88....5-2
* WKU 86...3-4
* Miami OH 85....6-2
* Toledo 83...7-1
* Tulane 80....6-1
* MT 78....1-6 (w/o Bama 97....1-5)
* Fresno 71....6-1
* SMU 62....5-2
This is true. My point is however, give us that schedule and we would probably be 6-3 as well or even 7-2. NMSU hasn't played the meat of the conference yet. In our conference, no other team had to play 2 SEC teams to start their season nor start with the 3 toughest teams in the conference. I'm not defending Stock at all but the deck was stacked against us from the start of the season. We were locked in to the 4th quarter and could have won at least 4 of those losses we have. NMSU lost to Hawaii who even Vandy beat this year and UMASS at home. How good can you be losing to UMASS? If we win vs. NMSU, Stock will roll on to go 6-6. Y'all know that he will and get another season added to the ol contract. LOL.

Reactions: ewglenn
Or refuse to admit the truth.
Liberty's? no. NMSU, definitely. UMASS and Hawaii over BAMA and MIZZOU? Give me that all day. We played Liberty better than anyone else in the conference so far. We've had 2.5 weeks to get ready for NMSU. I think we win.

WKU has no chance to win vs. Liberty and if Jax St. would be there too if it wasn't for the stupid rule. WKU might be there but didn't earn it so it's a moot point. They are a half step up from us in reality.
WKU has in no way lived up to expectations of this season. Their fan base has to be as frustrated as we are.

WKU has in no way lived up to expectations of this season. Their fan base has to be as frustrated as we are.

I don't think so!

Edit: Let me clarify that. It is inconceivable and implausible that wkcc or any fan base can be as frustrated as this one is. Our attendance bears this out when you look across the stadium on gameday.

Last edited:
The thing is wku may be having a disappointing season, but in no way is what they are experiencing is a normal situation for them. What we have is a regression or reverting to the normal or maybe worse. How is this any different than most seasons under stockstill? I think I posted earlier this year or at the end of last season that the 8 wins was the ceiling for this program under stock, we've not seen any better in the last decade. In no way is that comparable to wku in the same period.

The thing is wku may be having a disappointing season, but in no way is what they are experiencing is a normal situation for them. What we have is a regression or reverting to the normal or maybe worse. How is this any different than most seasons under stockstill? I think I posted earlier this year or at the end of last season that the 8 wins was the ceiling for this program under stock, we've not seen any better in the last decade. In no way is that comparable to wku in the same period.
Heck, let's just say last 5yrs even. Since iur division crown and since WKU hired Helton. They have an overall winning record, multiple 9 win seasons, a champ game appearance, and 1 losing season.

We have none of that and are possibly going to hit our 3rd losing season in those 5yrs.

I don't think so!

Edit: Let me clarify that. It is inconceivable and implausible that wkcc or any fan base can be as frustrated as this one is. Our attendance bears this out when you look across the stadium on gameday.
That's true... They do have more butts in seats.

Their expectations were considerably higher than ours.

Welp I am going to have to predict a win on this one, then they win out, get an extension for the Stocktract and then get throttled in a Bowl Game vs a Sun Belt team.

• Angry
Reactions: RaiderDeez
On another note, Kennesaw St is currently leading SHSU 21-7 part way through the 3rd. The same SHSU team that took Liberty to the wire. They are 16.5pt favorites over KSU today.

Jax is tied with S. Carolina 28-28 start of 4th.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Jax loses on a last minute pick six. Now 7-3

SHSU comes back and wins on a last second field goal 24-21. No longer winless.

end of first quarter, no score

Game Comparison
STATMTNMSU
Total Yds27105
Pass Yds576
Rush Yds2229
Penalties0-03-30
1st Downs26
3rd Downs1-41-3
4th Downs0-00-0
Total Plays1318
Avg Yds/Play2.15.8
Avg Yds/Completion2.510.9
Avg Yds/Rush3.74.1
Sack-Adj Rush Yd(Avg)22 (3.7)29 (4.1)
Red Zone0-00-0
Time of Poss5:079:53
Turnovers (Def Pts Off)0 (0)1 (0)
Fumbles-Lost0-00-0
Sacks (Def Yds)0 (0)0 (0)
TFL (Def Yds)0 (0)0 (0)

Last edited:
Too much to ask for a spy on the QB? Dude runs it every other play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT