ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (3-7, 2-4) vs UTEP (3-7, 2-4) (Senior Day), 1PM, Saturday, November 18, 2023

That's one thing I don't get...what benefit does the BOT get or see from our Athletic program cratering? It's mind-blowing.

Or is this another theory of the UTK's and Memphis's keeping the other in-state FBS program down?
Memphis has no issue with MTSU. They are back on the schedule. They even recovered from the beatdowns taken from MTSU on Tommy West after making their first Cotton Bowl in 2019.

That’s a fair statement but this is where they are located:

Alcoa
Murfreesboro (x2)
Memphis
Maryville
Nashville (x2)
Collierville
Cleveland
Germantown

So for a lot of them we would be “going away” but still close to home. At the end of the day there is no reason to not at least offer. Let the kids decide that not us.
I get your point. So looking at this list, go ahead and remove the Murfreesboro and Nashville ones because they meet my point.

So then what does a kid from Alcoa, Memphis, Maryville, Collierville, Cleveland, or Germantown see in coming to this program in 2023/24? Unless they're getting a guarantee to start right away, I wouldn't come if I were them either.

And again, I'm not saying that the staff shouldn't be offering, because I do believe they should offer almost every 3-star-and-up prospect in the state, unless we're stacked at certain positions (and let's be honest, given where we are as a program, we are NOT stacked at ANY position).

The die hards were at the game enjoying a win for MTSU. If you no longer support, you are no longer a die hard. Frustrated or not die hard fans show up. Just ask due hard TN fans. Not trying to be argumentative or make anyone mad, but this is the God’s honest truth! You want better, voice it but still show up. Or play a part in killing a program.
Bro, don’t bring that BS up in here.
You have no clue what each individual Die hard has invested in this program. Time, money, travel, and for alums, blood,sweat and tears. We all want change, and if I see fit to not attend a game to show my disgust with this clown show I will do so. So don’t question my my Die hardnesss. If you choose to sit in an empty stadium with 25K aluminum fans, I can respect that. I did it for years before I decided I could no longer enable this program.
And as for die hard UT fans showing up. Do I need to remind you of Derek Dooley and Butch Jones? I remember a lot of those die hard staying home and voting with there pocket books.

Just did some quick scanning. Noticed we're talking about the Die Hard movie. Cool, one of my favorites!
Sometimes as a Raiders fan I feel like poor Mr. Takagi & our "Big 3" are Hans Gruber making a mess of my Blue Raider gear I'm wearing. Only thing is we have no John McClane on the way to save the day this Christmas.

It was a beautiful late November Day that I enjoyed at home. I only left to go to the MBB game even if it was against a NAIA opponent. As I approached the campus I was wondering if I would be able to park near Murphy Center as I usually do because of the football 'crowd' - No need to worry it was like any other weekend. No problem.

As I got out of my vehicle, the football game was ending. Literally, a handful of people were leaving Floyd. When I was having my phone (e-ticket, have I mentioned how much I hate them?) scanned, the person doing it asked if I was coming inside from the football game I laughed, and told him even though I had season tickets to football, I'm not attending another football game as long as Middle Tennessee refuses to fire Stockstill. the guy scanning my phone smiled and chuckled.

The die hards were at the game enjoying a win for MTSU. If you no longer support, you are no longer a die hard. Frustrated or not die hard fans show up. Just ask due hard TN fans. Not trying to be argumentative or make anyone mad, but this is the God’s honest truth! You want better, voice it but still show up. Or play a part in killing a program.

Hilarious take

Until the King of the BOT grows weary of sitting in our near empty football stadium and basketball arena, nothing will happen.

It is what it is. Which is why I (along with many others) have chosen to stay away. Those Tweeted crowd pics from yesterday and cartoon tweets mocking football attendance when compared to Oakland vs. Riverdale are pretty embarrassing. But it’s impossible embarrass those in charge who continue to spew propaganda like yesterday’s attendance numbers.
He wants to be the big fish in a small pond.

Bro, don’t bring that BS up in here.
You have no clue what each individual Die hard has invested in this program. Time, money, travel, and for alums, blood,sweat and tears. We all want change, and if I see fit to not attend a game to show my disgust with this clown show I will do so. So don’t question my my Die hardnesss. If you choose to sit in an empty stadium with 25K aluminum fans, I can respect that. I did it for years before I decided I could no longer enable this program.
And as for die hard UT fans showing up. Do I need to remind you of Derek Dooley and Butch Jones? I remember a lot of those die hard staying home and voting with there pocket books.
This die hard is done.

Ok. First that’s simply not true on so many levels. My tailgate/clan grew from a few up to twenty, growing eventually to securing a spot in RV row, then securing an open air box. Almost none of these people are coming to any of the games. I’m 750 miles away and flew in for most games for a long time.

Second, your statement implies a normal situation. I suffered through three straight losing season with Mcollum, the 2-10 season with Stockstill. The other losing seasons with Stockstill. I kept buying plane tickets. How many people you know routinely flew in for games? But the point I’m making is that all that was normal. Losing seasons happen. Die hard persevere through bad seasons. You’re missing the point of what this is. It’s not just a couple of bad seasons. It’s unprecedented. Watching a few bad seasons isn’t the same as the destruction of a program. I won’t fault anyone for attending but you’re enabling the destruction if you do. And also likely if you don’t. But I personally can’t justify supporting the acceptance of obvious failure and incompetence for perpetuity.

Yeah. Horrible take. I'm beyond diehard. And I'm over 300 miles away. For years I came to one home game a year and multiple away games. And I don't fly. Nearly every shirt in my closet is blue, my house is covered in MT stuff, and hell, I even have a MT tattoo. Can you get more diehard than a permanent mark on your body?!?

I have issues truly stepping away. I do. I want to support the players, and my school. But I can't give anything to an admin that thinks what is happening with football is ok. I've given to BuildBlue, BRAA, and if I had millions I'd give them an ultimatum. But I don't. So my full several thousand a year between donations, merch, tickets, travel, etc will just have to be enough.

In my mind, holding back makes me more of a diehard because I'm not supporting mediocrity and demanding more. Don't ever question my devotion to this school.

My guess would be about 3000 in attendance. Suites/club looked pretty crowded. Hung in beer garden b pregame. Light crowd there. Filled in more as game went on, but not as busy as normal. More people there total than I actually expected, to be honest. Walking in to hoops, heard several families being happy with free admission. A lot of people did leave at halftime.

I get your point. So looking at this list, go ahead and remove the Murfreesboro and Nashville ones because they meet my point.

So then what does a kid from Alcoa, Memphis, Maryville, Collierville, Cleveland, or Germantown see in coming to this program in 2023/24? Unless they're getting a guarantee to start right away, I wouldn't come if I were them either.

And again, I'm not saying that the staff shouldn't be offering, because I do believe they should offer almost every 3-star-and-up prospect in the state, unless we're stacked at certain positions (and let's be honest, given where we are as a program, we are NOT stacked at ANY position).
With the new facility coming, you should be able to get some top kids in here. There is no reason you shouldn't be bringing in 10 to 15 Portal Kids a year. You can't consistently win with young players, this is a older kid and young man's game now.

I, like many others, tried it the diehard's way. We owned season tickets, gave to BRAA, bought merch, all of it. Still, the program continued to decline and even after speaking out, no changes were made. The return on my investment was zilch. Heck, I have a kid that goes there.

Watching my money go down the proverbial drain, I chose to speak again with the only other voice I had left, keep my money in my pocket. I tried it the other way and it didn't work. I came to the conclusion that as long as we all keep giving and going, they think all is well and we don't care. I genuinely feel for the athletes, it's not their fault, but I am using the only voice I have left.

I, for one, am sick of hearing that people need to keep giving and going to make it better. I tried that and we all see what that got us. If this administration and staff have no pride in the logo, then why am I expected to? Giving more money to this inept staff does not make them smarter and less lazy.

Going back to recruiting, offer these kids. Make them tell you no. Schools take scholarships away all the time after offering too many. A good one might need a fall back.

I did see McPhee take a stab at the community at the end of Massaro's speech about how much MTSU contributes. While true, this city and county makes up over 50% of the student body. What if every Rutherford County kid chose to go elsewhere? They both help each other out.

Does anyone know why most of the fraternities left Greek Row? I've been told there is considerable bitterness toward leadership regarding that fiasco. If anyone can shed some light on it, I'd be curious to know.

Sorry, but no.

At this point, if you're still going, you are an enabler.

Go ahead and kill the program. It literally does nothing for the school. Looking at that crowd, it could be a detriment as an embarrassment. It's simply a vehicle for the three cronies to line their pockets until retirement.

At least the new construction caused them to finally take down those tired “Bowl Champion” end zone tarps. 😂

Yea, I hated the "we competed" banners...
I'd rather see tarps than empty stands. I'd be fine with tarping the lower endzones. You can hide the sidelines on TV, not the endzones. It's why I've said under the new SAPC should become the home of the band and the beer garden expanded in the other.

But I agree the whole participation thing is ridiculous though. If you didn't win, don't make a banner. If we make the CFP and lose, I'm ok with that banner. But that's it. At least they have replaced the tunnel tarps.

I'd rather see tarps than empty stands. I'd be fine with tarping the lower endzones. You can hide the sidelines on TV, not the endzones. It's why I've said under the new SAPC should become the home of the band and the beer garden expanded in the other.

But I agree the whole participation thing is ridiculous though. If you didn't win, don't make a banner. If we make the CFP and lose, I'm ok with that banner. But that's it. At least they have replaced the tunnel tarps.
Exactly, I don't want to see the "We got throttled by App State in New Orleans Bowl" banner hanging there.

The beer garden, IMO, has so much potential if they did it right. Gut the end zone bleachers and build an actual beer garden but looking down on the field. Maybe build a new visitor locker room and put the beer garden above it. It all doesn't have to covered but, maybe build a brick-and-mortar concession area where the beer is sold, some brats, and snacks, hang some TV's. They already have the standing pub tables.

I feel like I have been robbed of any school pride and excitement that I could have felt the last decade or so. It's really kinda sad.
I can’t imagine the disgust you Almuni must have regarding the state of athletics at MT
I’ve said may times, that I’m just a guy who moved here, bought a blue shirt, and bought in. But you alumni- you guys gave a part of your DNA to this school. Got your degrees from here, and many made careers out of your time and experiences here. To have a president, BOR, athletic director and athletic department show blatant lack of leadership to fix this is beyond anything that I can imagine. The school talks about getting alumni involvement, but why in the hell would any alum want to get involved with this clown show? Let’s just raise the student fee and everything will be OK.
I applaud you guys school pride and you deserve better than what you (we) are getting. You have every right to be Pissed.
To reward you for your effort, Massaro and McPhee will continue to go on Bahama vacations, Stock will continue to cash a check for mediocrity, the BOR will eat rubber chicken and act like everything is fine, and the media will wag the dog.
And we as fans and alumni will continue to get the shaft

Hard to believe it’s been over 18 years since I got my MBA at MTSU. I was late to the alumni party in my mid-40’s but was pretty active from 2006-2015 and with tickets, donations, attendance etc. until they gave Stock that idiotic contract. Most alumni forged lifelong relationships, Greek affiliation and school pride at MTSU during their undergraduate years like my friend BRaiderDave. I have other school relationships that I developed much the same way. That said, it’s still disappointing to see what’s gone on unchecked with zero accountability now for 18 years.

Exactly, I don't want to see the "We got throttled by App State in New Orleans Bowl" banner hanging there.

The beer garden, IMO, has so much potential if they did it right. Gut the end zone bleachers and build an actual beer garden but looking down on the field. Maybe build a new visitor locker room and put the beer garden above it. It all doesn't have to covered but, maybe build a brick-and-mortar concession area where the beer is sold, some brats, and snacks, hang some TV's. They already have the standing pub tables.
Every time I hang in the beer garden, I agree with this more. I've also mentioned to my buddy how awful and small our visitor locker room is. Great idea to build a new one under a renovated beer garden.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
I think taking out the end zone and replacing it with an expanded beer garden is the way to go. A roof top patio with built in concessions would look great. I’ve said many times we need to lower our capacity. It cost too much to maintain and we have no need for 30k seats. I look at CCU and WKU as great examples of what we need. 21-23k seats with simple but nice features. Make premium seating options the priority. I think the entire lower area should be chair back and leave the upper deck to general admission tickets.

I think taking out the end zone and replacing it with an expanded beer garden is the way to go. A roof top patio with built in concessions would look great. I’ve said many times we need to lower our capacity. It cost too much to maintain and we have no need for 30k seats. I look at CCU and WKU as great examples of what we need. 21-23k seats with simple but nice features. Make premium seating options the priority. I think the entire lower area should be chair back and leave the upper deck to general admission tickets.
You can only say that because this administration has turned this burgeoning ranch into a trailer park. Every single one of these would have been more than your highest range. Notice how more than half were non-power conf opponents and 9 out of the 10 were 2015 or before. Not trying to be to be a prick, but you consistently miss the big picture and want to fix a symptom instead of a root cause. Just because you weren't around for them doesn't mean it didn't happen and isn't possible...

1. 30,502 Georgia Tech 9/10/11
2. 28,105 Memphis 9/12/09
3. 28,010 Troy 10/5/10
4. 27,568 Tennessee State 9/5/98
5. 27,519 Southeast Missouri 9/28/02
6. 26,717 Vanderbilt 9/2/17
7. 25,908 Minnesota 9/2/10
8. 25,766 Florida Atlantic 9/30/08
9. 25,411 Vanderbilt 10/3/15
10. 24,911 WKU 9/13/14

Reactions: RaiderDeez
You can only say that because this administration has turned this burgeoning ranch into a trailer park. Every single one of these would have been more than your highest range. Notice how more than half were non-power conf opponents and 9 out of the 10 were 2015 or before. Not trying to be to be a prick, but you consistently miss the big picture and want to fix a symptom instead of a root cause. Just because you weren't around for them doesn't mean it didn't happen and isn't possible...

3. 28,010 Troy 10/5/10
10. 24,911 WKU 9/13/14
I don't completely disagree, but the vast majority of these were before you could catch every game on TV or a streaming service. And I'd like to think that has something to do with it, but maybe not...

3. 28,010 Troy 10/5/10
10. 24,911 WKU 9/13/14
I was there for every one of them except ‘98 and ‘02.

3. 28,010 Troy 10/5/10
10. 24,911 WKU 9/13/14
Pretty sad to look at all these games & all the varying years involved & to think did any of these seasons represent a team with at least 9 wins?

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
It was that Vanderbilt game in 2015 that I decided I was d o n e with Rick. I was on a family vacation sitting in a parking lot listening to the ending. I was done.

I was at all of those games except the two candy games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT