ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL Middle Tennessee (16-21, 4-11) vs TN Tech (20-14, 10-8), 6PM, Wednesday, April 20, 2016

I feel like this team is much better than they have played to this point, but it's almost as if they've bought into the notion that they're just not good.

There's some decent talent, young talent, but not enough, our batters can not string any hits together and our pitching is absolutely, woefully inconsistent.

I've accepted that this team is not going anywhere this year.

Reactions: MidTnBlues
Very young. I noticed Friday vs Charlotte, we started 4 freshman and 1 sophomore. If we can find some depth at pitching, we will be pretty good the next 2-3 years.

We are in our longest streak w/o an NCAA over the past 40 years.

We are in last place in our conference.

Four years in & McGuire's career record is now barely 3 games over .500.

I just can't see how McGuire has earned another 2 or 3 years to see what he may can do with our young talent. Just frustrating.....

Just got an extension last year, after being named CUSA coach of the year. I have not been happy with the lack of quality hitting or pitching. Hoping the freshmen can improve over the summer in the leagues they play in and come back and have us in contention. Need a infusion of talent to complement the youth.

Just got an extension last year, after being named CUSA coach of the year.

I understand he got the CUSA coach of the year last year, but even with a good regular season in conference we were only 32-27 overall.

Realistically, I know CM will NEVER fire a coach at MT with a .500 record. I wish CM had higher expectations, but that's a different topic.

It's just very frustrating where we are as a program, the overall results of McGuire's tenure, and that we are left hoping that in the future, we may have a good team. In 40 years, we never went more than 4 seasons w/o a postseason appearance. We are in year 7 now. My expectation for a MT coach is to simply maintain what we have accomplished for the past 4 decades.

It seems like the baseball team has been trending down since Petersons last few years

Article by Sparks in the Tennessean prior to the VU/UT-K weekend series: "Rise of Vandy Baseball coincides with UT's slide"

Discusses the success of the Urenge in the decade prior to Corbin's arrival at VU and how the two clubs have had a a "shift in power". I would add, not that $EC centric fans would care, that the team from Sparks old beat has suffered a similar downturn as UT-K over the same period. It's amazing, considering the Dore's alleged high academic standing and entrance requirements, that every mid-state high profile BB recruit signs with VU. I know of one mid-state player who signed with Corbin who was clearly not a high-academic prospect according to one of his teachers. There must be others. Some of these mid-state players Stanford and Peterson were able to bring to MT. Has Corbin failed to land any player he wants? Are there not some mid-state players we can sign that can't get into VU? Wish I knew.

And yes MIke, I thought the 5 or 6 million dollar investment in the stadium was to be the panacea for MT BB. And still we are not consistently better than the mid-state OVC schools. I'm not a huge BB fan but in the mid-state area BB counts and I want MT to do well. Although a lot of prior players and others connected to the program supported McGuire it appeared that at the time Massaro wanted to go elsewhere. Perhaps he knew something.

Tommy Raffo, the arkansas state coach was the guy Massaro wanted. Looking at his record the last several years, he has not done much of anything in jonesboro.

Tommy Raffo, the arkansas state coach was the guy Massaro wanted. Looking at his record the last several years, he has not done much of anything in jonesboro.

Raffo was a horrible choice as well. Having ties to Miss St., I can tell you Ron Polk wanted Raffo as his successor in Starkville. It should tell you something when MSU had Raffo as assistant that Ron Polk wanted as a successor & MSU past.

I remember arguing with some on here that we should not settle on McGuire because he paid his dues. I agree with MTFNBY5, I just want MT to do be the best we can be & we should be better than we are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT