ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (0-2) vs Murray State (1-1), ESPN+, 6PM, Saturday, September 16, 2023

end of 1st quarter

MT 14
murray 0

Game Comparison
STATmurrayMT
Total Yds22158
Pass Yds1977
Rush Yds381
Penalties3-203-30
1st Downs15
3rd Downs1-41-3
4th Downs0-00-0
Total Plays1414
Avg Yds/Play1.611.3
Avg Yds/Completion3.211
Avg Yds/Rush0.413.5
Sack-Adj Rush Yd(Avg)20 (4)81 (13.5)
Red Zone0-01-1
Time of Poss6:326:41
Turnovers (Def Pts Off)1 (0)0 (0)
Fumbles-Lost1-10-0
Sacks (Def Yds)0 (0)2 (17)
TFL (Def Yds)0 (0)4 (21)

taking advantage of our poor play at right corner. deonte stanley leaving a lot to be desired

21-7

Penalties, Penalties geez

Game Comparison
STATmurrayMT
Total Yds162318
Pass Yds86163
Rush Yds76155
Penalties4-256-55
1st Downs513
3rd Downs2-71-5
4th Downs0-10-0
Total Plays3133
Avg Yds/Play5.29.6
Avg Yds/Completion7.212.5
Avg Yds/Rush4.29.7
Sack-Adj Rush Yd(Avg)93 (5.8)155 (9.7)
Red Zone1-21-1
Time of Poss14:0115:59
Turnovers (Def Pts Off)1 (0)1 (0)
Fumbles-Lost2-10-0
TFL (Def Yds)1 (1)7 (25)

Corner play gonna have to be better if we want to beat WKU and Liberty

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: SpaceRaider
starting to look like Murray is going to win this game

We are not a good team. Thankfully, Murray State can't stop trying to lose the game.

I think we will pull it out, but not because of great playing.

I bet we commit more false start penalties than any other team in the country every year.

This does not look like a good team.

Undisciplined play (penalties). Predictable play calling ( screen / bubble).

A few good athletes but not an impressive performance at this point.

Glad I did not take the bet to cover. We have a few good pieces, but that's it. We are a below average G5 team, but after watching us play against the MVC's preseason cellar dweller we at least may rate as an average FCS team. 11 penalties for 100 yards!?! What the hell???
Will be the first to announce I'm ready for basketball season!

Murray State lost 56-0 to Louisville. The world beaters that they are. And Bama beat USF 17-3... should've been 10-3 but they scored with 30 seconds left... The same Bama that beat these Raiders 56-7. I am sorry but this may be a 1-11 team.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Murray State lost 56-0 to Louisville. The world beaters that they are. And Bama beat USF 17-3... should've been 10-3 but they scored with 30 seconds left... The same Bama that beat these Raiders 56-7. I am sorry but this may be a 1-11 team.
They played like a 1-11 team. Pathetic effort. Out played, at certain positions Murray was better. But never mind that Murray is projected to be an 11th place team in the FCS Missouri Valley...

Reactions: MTFAN61
Game Comparison
STATMurrayMT
Total Yds401508
Pass Yds194291
Rush Yds207217
Penalties6-5012-110
1st Downs1621
3rd Downs5-145-12
4th Downs1-30-1
Total Plays7060
Avg Yds/Play5.78.5
Avg Yds/Completion8.410.4
Avg Yds/Rush5.48.3
Sack-Adj Rush Yd(Avg)224 (6.2)217 (8.3)
Red Zone2-42-3
Time of Poss35:4624:14
Turnovers (Def Pts Off)3 (7)1 (0)
Fumbles-Lost4-31-0
TFL (Def Yds)2 (3)8 (28)

mmhmm. Unless there is big money involved, you'd have to be a fool to give up a starting spot on a D1 roster to go roll the dice somewhere else. Especially for your senior season. Such a dumb dumb. Kids these days never cease to amaze me.
Yup, same for Greg Grate when he went to JSU and never saw the field. What did Mobley do?

Still a 21 point win. Penalties were out of control. Secondary is horrible. I think we’re a decent team that had a bad game. Still I think we get exposed when we play a prolific offense.
If we get the same, or remotely close, CSU team last night, we will get boat raced.

If we get the same, or remotely close, CSU team last night, we will get boat raced.
I think CSU thew the entire kitchen sink last night trying to win. Horton may be impossible to stop but those underneath routes are really obvious. Their QB is a turnover machine so that could help. Their TE is a beast too. It's gonna be a tough game. We played Mizzou to the wire and they beat Kansas freaking State yesterday so who knows anything anymore?

south bammer 33
oklahoma state 7
Kane Womack head coach for South Alabama. This is his 1st head coaching job, & he's only 36 years old in just his 3rd year there. They went 10-3 last year & lost by 1 point at UCLA. This year South Alabama just dismantled Oklahoma State. Is anyone listening in our administration?

Kane Womack head coach for South Alabama. This is his 1st head coaching job, & he's only 36 years old in just his 3rd year there. They went 10-3 last year & lost by 1 point at UCLA. This year South Alabama just dismantled Oklahoma State. Is anyone listening in our administration?
Yes. They read the boards. They know the climate. They know the public opinion re: Stock.

But there’s no way out of the albatross of a contract with Stock. Stock is HC at MT until he walks away / retires.

I don’t think that was the expectation / design when the contract was written. IMO, the expectation is that they’d keep Stock a few more years before he was grabbed by a Wake Forest / low level ACC type school. Stock stayed. And stayed. And stayed.

Without significant concessions (like raise pay significantly), I don’t think there’s a way to redo the contract / write a new one that lowers buyout & removes the auto-extend clause.

Next coach needs to be young, energetic, and needs to engage people / fan base.

Yes. They read the boards. They know the climate. They know the public opinion re: Stock.

But there’s no way out of the albatross of a contract with Stock. Stock is HC at MT until he walks away / retires.

I don’t think that was the expectation / design when the contract was written. IMO, the expectation is that they’d keep Stock a few more years before he was grabbed by a Wake Forest / low level ACC type school. Stock stayed. And stayed. And stayed.

Without significant concessions (like raise pay significantly), I don’t think there’s a way to redo the contract / write a new one that lowers buyout & removes the auto-extend clause.

Next coach needs to be young, energetic, and needs to engage people / fan base.
I talked to friends in The Grove Saturday and a mutual friend of ours who used to own a box stopped coming because of Stock and the administration. This is an Alumni who I thought would never stop supporting and has deep pockets.

Reactions: Predarat
I talked to friends in The Grove Saturday and a mutual friend of ours who used to own a box stopped coming because of Stock and the administration. This is an Alumni who I thought would never stop supporting and has deep pockets.
A buddy of mine works for a small business that used to advertise on the Jumbotron (one of the businesses that had a special promotion for specific situations) & he used to serve on various MT related boards.

To my knowledge, the business no longer gives $$$ & he's all but unplugged. He'll go to a game or two a year (maybe), but he's not going out of his way for it. He has a chat with other MT folks and many of them have unplugged.

I am amazed at the work Lee & his team have done under the circumstances. Can't wait to see how they continue to work.

At this point, if I was in AD, I'd have a talk with Stock about "retiring" to a position like "Associate AD for Student-Athlete Success" (focus on taking those things he's learned that have made MT FB successful on the academic side & apply it to ALL programs) and tell him that MT will work with new HC to ensure Brent has a spot on the staff.

Hopefully, Stock will retire to a beach home in FL sometime soon

A buddy of mine works for a small business that used to advertise on the Jumbotron (one of the businesses that had a special promotion for specific situations) & he used to serve on various MT related boards.

To my knowledge, the business no longer gives $$$ & he's all but unplugged. He'll go to a game or two a year (maybe), but he's not going out of his way for it. He has a chat with other MT folks and many of them have unplugged.

I am amazed at the work Lee & his team have done under the circumstances. Can't wait to see how they continue to work.

At this point, if I was in AD, I'd have a talk with Stock about "retiring" to a position like "Associate AD for Student-Athlete Success" (focus on taking those things he's learned that have made MT FB successful on the academic side & apply it to ALL programs) and tell him that MT will work with new HC to ensure Brent has a spot on the staff.

Hopefully, Stock will retire to a beach home in FL sometime soon
I would not offer to keep Brent on staff. I don't like the idea of shoving the former coach's son down the throat of a new coach.

Many I've talked to said they would be open to coming back once Stock and Massaro are gone. They didn't have glowing reviews of the board either.

I think we should clean house when Stock retires. I like Brent but that should be up to the new coach on if they’d like to keep him or not.

Lee and team have done an outstanding job considering what they’re up against. I have talked with a lot of alumni and they are in the same boat. We desperately need some new life in the program. I want someone that is determined to win a championship.

Good isn’t good enough if it can be better and better isn’t good enough if it can be best. I’ve lived by that saying and tell my team at work that constantly. I want leadership at all levels of MT that believe that. I understand we’re not Bama but we absolutely could be better with the right people running the show.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Bringing up coaching staff, last weekend I was asking myself how long has it been for the coaches since they last coached or played on a conference championship squad. I am thinking the next time it happens will be the first time for a lot of them and that it won't be with a Stockstill coached team. Given the advanced age of a lot of them, they'll never know what it's like to be a conference champion. They'll be sitting in their rocking chairs at the senior citizen center reminiscing about those Bahama Bowls, but not a conference championship.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Brent can find a job on his own. Yeah he's the coach's son, but he has been competent enough to find a job elsewhere and work his way up on his own.

It's time to start fresh and rebuild.

I think the admin "may" realize the predicament they are in with Stock and his contract, but it was too recently renewed for me to 100% believe they really think a change is needed. Especially with the way CM harps that longevity and consistency is such a big deal in head coaches for him.

A large part of me thinks change will occur in 2026. McP's contract is up Dec of that year, Stock will have just finished his 20th year (2025 will be CM's 20th), and Board should have changed hands by then too (Smith's original appointment was to end this past June, so don't know what happened there).
Just seems like a good year to make it start fresh, spend the '25 season celebrating the accomplishments of the three of them (and admit it, they do have some), and start 100% fresh top to bottom.

Brent can find a job on his own. Yeah he's the coach's son, but he has been competent enough to find a job elsewhere and work his way up on his own.

It's time to start fresh and rebuild.

I think the admin "may" realize the predicament they are in with Stock and his contract, but it was too recently renewed for me to 100% believe they really think a change is needed. Especially with the way CM harps that longevity and consistency is such a big deal in head coaches for him.

A large part of me thinks change will occur in 2026. McP's contract is up Dec of that year, Stock will have just finished his 20th year (2025 will be CM's 20th), and Board should have changed hands by then too (Smith's original appointment was to end this past June, so don't know what happened there).
Just seems like a good year to make it start fresh, spend the '25 season celebrating the accomplishments of the three of them (and admit it, they do have some), and start 100% fresh top to bottom.
I was told at the tailgate Saturday that Stock is pushing for Brent to take over for him whenever he retires.

I have no personal knowledge if true, but I can only hope it was just speculation and not true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT