ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (0-2) vs Murray State (1-1), ESPN+, 6PM, Saturday, September 16, 2023

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
links are a work in progress

General Information

Founded: 1922 Enrollment: 9,456
Colors: Navy and Gold Nickname: Racers
Series: MT leads 37-29-3
Conference: Missouri Valley Football Conference
Stadium: Stewart (16,800)
Head Coach: Dean Hood (Ohio Wesleyan, 1986)
Record at MSU: 14-17 (4th) Overall: 69-55 (12th)
2022 Record: 2-9 2022 Bowl: None
Starters Ret./Lost: 12/12 Lettermen R/L: 20/21

Television: ESPN+, Play-by-play: Jake Rose, Analyst: Jeremy Kellem, Field Analyst: Justin Beasley

Radio: PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Joe Dubin, WGNS 1450 AM/100.5 FM/101.9 FM – 93.3 FM/95.1 FM - The Varsity Network App

Streaming:

Live Stats:

Newspapers: ,

Message Boards:
Racer Nation

Athletic site: goracers.com, goblueraiders.com,

Media Guides: , Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews:

Game Notes:
Murray State game notes, MT game notes, CUSA weekly notes

Game Previews: Preview: Q&A with Murray State Play-by-Play Announcer Neal Bradley,

Roster:
Racers, Blue Raiders

Last edited:
Murray State is in the first year of competition in the Missouri Valley Football Conference where they are picked 11th in preseason polling.

11. Murray State (2-9, 1-4 Ohio Valley) – The Racers’ struggles in their final OVC season didn’t bode well for their move into the MVFC, but coach Dean Hood’s squad lost standout QB DJ Williams to a season-ending injury in the opener. His team now has some influential transfers to take on the MVFC challenge. Among the returnees, DJ Jones and Jacob Frye will fortify the offensive line, and Cody Goatley and Cade Shupperd are a solid duo at linebacker. Lefty Jayden Stinson made eight starts behind center following Williams’ injury.

Last edited:
In their first 2 games Murray State is 1-1 beating Presbyterian 41-10 and losing to the Louisville Cardinals 56-0.

I'm going to go to the game. my kids just started, so I said I would go for parents' weekend.

Personally, I'm a fan of the weeknight games. It allows me to support both my kids without having to choose, at least for one month.

Reactions: ewglenn
taken from their game notes:

MSU is a young team with 48 freshmen (true & redshirt) on the roster and 72 total underclassmen.

MSU also brought in immediate help with a group of 32 transfers, of which 17 are from NCAA D-I schools.

While we are playing a former fellow ovc member in Murray State, we should take note of the passing of Boots Donnelly's Nemesis, Roy Kidd, former coach at EKU.

I think the last time we won in Richmond against Roy Kidd was 1984 when a Vince Hall led Blue Raiders actually won twice, once in the regular season and again in the 1-AA playoffs. From the mid 80's into the early 90's whomever had the home game between Middle and EKU was the likely OVC winner. Some of the games were epic between two well coached teams. I despised Kidd as a rival, yet have tremendous respect for the man and coach he was. RIP to a great one.

Ready to watch some live college football. The last time I saw us play Murray State, Dwone Hicks barreled over some poor linebacker or safety. I mean, creamed him and ran right over him into the endzone. Get out of my way type of run. The pic was featured in a media guide a couple years later...anyways.

Go Blue.

Ready to watch some live college football. The last time I saw us play Murray State, Dwone Hicks barreled over some poor linebacker or safety. I mean, creamed him and ran right over him into the endzone. Get out of my way type of run. The pic was featured in a media guide a couple years later...anyways.

Go Blue.
Lots of great players have come out of MT. Dwone would definitely be in my top 5.

Not sure if this was posted here, but Zack Dobson is back on the roster, looking forward to some explosive plays this season alongside DJ Chisolm.
Trying to wrap my head around that. I guess that is possible, the covid year messed up things for me understanding transfers and the portal just added to that.

Not sure if this was posted here, but Zack Dobson is back on the roster, looking forward to some explosive plays this season alongside DJ Chisolm.
2023 (Middle Tennessee) (r-Senior)
• Joined the program on Sept. 11 after his transfer paperwork was approved

2022 (Tennessee State) (Senior)
• Played in just four games and earned a redshirt
• Had 14 receptions for 210 yards and a touchdown, while returning six kickoffs for 140 yards (23.3)

2021 (Tennessee State) (Junior)
• Played in seven games
• Finished with eight receptions for 66 yards and had five kickoff returns for 106 yards
• Also had nine punt returns for 62 yards

2020 (West Virginia) (Junior)
• Did not play and was redshirted

Dobson gets a 4th chance. What will he do with it? I'm pretty sure that he regrets ever leaving. I'm sure that Decorean Patterson wished he stayed as well. He got 7 picks and 42 tackles last year and hasn't even seen the field at UCF yet. The portal is a doubled edged sword at times.

Last edited:
2023 (Middle Tennessee) (r-Senior)
• Joined the program on Sept. 11 after his transfer paperwork was approved

2022 (Tennessee State) (Senior)
• Played in just four games and earned a redshirt
• Had 14 receptions for 210 yards and a touchdown, while returning six kickoffs for 140 yards (23.3)

2021 (Tennessee State) (Junior)
• Played in seven games
• Finished with eight receptions for 66 yards and had five kickoff returns for 106 yards
• Also had nine punt returns for 62 yards

2020 (West Virginia) (Junior)
• Did not play and was redshirted

What a waste. Could have been a featured player here and had an epic career if he would stayed and worked.

I'm sure that Decorean Patterson wished he stayed as well.

mmhmm. Unless there is big money involved, you'd have to be a fool to give up a starting spot on a D1 roster to go roll the dice somewhere else. Especially for your senior season. Such a dumb dumb. Kids these days never cease to amaze me.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
MT is favored by 35.5

Over/under is 51

Projected score based on betting odds:

MT: 43
Murray St: 8

Raiders clear out the cobwebs from 1st 2 weeks, & cover the spread by winning by 40 or more tonight.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT