ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (0-2) vs Murray State (1-1), ESPN+, 6PM, Saturday, September 16, 2023

I was told at the tailgate Saturday that Stock is pushing for Brent to take over for him whenever he retires.

I have no personal knowledge if true, but I can only hope it was just speculation and not true.
In the words of Smokey from Friday....aww hell naw.
Its Friday GIF by HBO Max

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I know in some places that coaches are treated like royalty but a war was fought to free us from that garbage. As much as I appreciate his time as a player here, Brent needs to prove himself elsewhere. Maybe a decade, or two, and after a couple of additional coaching stops and a couple of. or more, coaching changes here, He might have the resume needed. or not.

I know in some places that coaches are treated like royalty but a war was fought to free us from that garbage. As much as I appreciate his time as a player here, Brent needs to prove himself elsewhere. Maybe a decade, or two, and after a couple of additional coaching stops and a couple of. or more, coaching changes here, He might have the resume needed. or not.
I agree... Go get some seat time...

Go be a position coach somewhere like Bama, Clemson, UGA or another national power then we can talk with Brent. He is just too new and the fans desperately want new blood. It would rub a lot of people the wrong way if they went immediately to Brent.

Go win a championship, get Mitch Stewart hired away, promote Brent to OC, then go win another championship. Then we can talk. That’s at least after 2 championships, preferably 3.

This shouldn’t even be a thought of a thought right now. Brent still has a lot to prove as a coach.

I'm not sure Brent would be a bad choice.

I think we're fine coaching wise. I don't think there's anything wrong with the X's and O's.

The problem is that we have too many old guys who are here only to pad a retirement. It's going to come across like I used "old" as a negative - it's not - someone like Saban clearly has the passion and fire to go all out. Ferentz, Mack Brown, age is just a # if you want it to be.

But our staff are guys who are 100% here only because you can get away with bare minimum work and they don't care about winning. They've landed at the one job in any sport anywhere on the planet that has no performance demands.

If you swapped out Stockstill and replaced him with a guy who had a drive to recruit and a guy who wanted to win at the highest level and wanted to be great here (even if it was to get a bigger job somewhere else) - even if you changed nothing else - I think we'd turn it around quickly.

Is Brent that kind of guy? Who knows. But just by looking at his age (29), I don't know too many 29 year olds who wanted to forgo all ambition and competitiveness and were just looking for a an easy coast to retirement.

I'd take Brent right now over the old man 10/10 times! Results can only improve.

I would not offer to keep Brent on staff. I don't like the idea of shoving the former coach's son down the throat of a new coach.

Many I've talked to said they would be open to coming back once Stock and Massaro are gone. They didn't have glowing reviews of the board either.
That's a fair point.

But the choice is : Keeping Brent, avoiding the buyout & moving on from Stock vs. Keeping Stock another year, I'm doing what I can to keep Brent. Saves $$$.

Brent is a good coach. A solid recruiter.

But I do understand the desire for a clean house.

Reactions: Hop45
I was told at the tailgate Saturday that Stock is pushing for Brent to take over for him whenever he retires.

I have no personal knowledge if true, but I can only hope it was just speculation and not true.
At this point, I don't think there's an honest way you can trot Brent out as the next HC & expect to energize the fan base.

I like Brent. Brent's a talented coach. But going from daddy Stock to Brent Stock would set the fan base on fire.

Honestly, the conspiracy theorist in me can see a situation where Stock retires in July, hands the reins over to Brent as interim HC. Brent gets a year as interim HC to "prove himself."

At this point, I don't think there's an honest way you can trot Brent out as the next HC & expect to energize the fan base.

I like Brent. Brent's a talented coach. But going from daddy Stock to Brent Stock would set the fan base on fire.

Honestly, the conspiracy theorist in me can see a situation where Stock retires in July, hands the reins over to Brent as interim HC. Brent gets a year as interim HC to "prove himself."
Oh, not that... You are right, the fanbase's heads, mine included, would explode.

I would take Brent right now if it meant that the following conditions were included:

1. CRS retires foregoing any future salary (including the $7M or whatever he's owed right now)
2. Brent's contract is for four years (and the buyout starts at $500K and goes down $100K each year he's here).
3. Brent's contract base salary and media comp amount to no more than $500K
4. Brent's contract is loaded with incentive bonuses for winning conference championships, Top 25 finishes, and making the CFB Playoff.
5. No auto extensions short of one of those three things in #4.

I would take Brent right now if it meant that the following conditions were included:

1. CRS retires foregoing any future salary (including the $7M or whatever he's owed right now)
2. Brent's contract is for four years.
4. Brent's contract is loaded with incentive bonuses for winning conference championships, Top 25 finishes, and making the CFB Playoff.
I would be ok with that. No auto extensions for sure.

2. Brent's contract is for four years (and the buyout starts at $500K and goes down $100K each year he's here).

This.

Brent could be a way out of Rick's albatross contract. We give Brent a fair chance for 2 years, and he's gone if he doesn't have the chops. Coaches don't need 3-4 years anymore to turn a roster around.

I would sign up for Brent at 500k for 4 years if that gets us out of Rick. I think Brent could be a good coach but who knows. I’m not doing that deal if Rick stepped down voluntarily.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT