ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (1-2) vs Colorado State (0-2) (ESPN+) Homecoming/Hall of Fame , 6PM, Saturday, September 23, 2023

I go to Senior Day, at a minimum, every year just so there is one more butt there in the stands for the players.
Now this I can support. I will never blame the players. Even the worst player in all of FBS can be taught a few things and improve with proper coaching. Hell, even little ones. My 8yr old is in his second season and they brought in a former college lineman to help the kids a few games in to this season. Since he has arrived, he has done wonders with my son.

It all is coaching. Not on the players.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Mrs Stockstill is that you? To answer your question the fan base has been run off by the people who have destroyed any semblance of legitimacy to this university and its athletics program. through incompetence, ignorance, arrogance, complacency, and paternalism. They have left us no choice but to leave. That’s why I said in another post it’s a travesty and it’s sad what has become of us.
No to your 1st question! LOL
I respect your choice to leave, however know that any true fan who loves their team never truly leaves!

I respect your choice to leave, however know that any true fan who loves their team never truly leaves!
That’s your opinion. The same could be said that a true fan would not sit and watch complacency be rewarded. Money talks but our AD is too stupid to listen. Just look at all the crap Chelsea Floyd likes and comments on Twitter. There needs to be massive changes at MT. Spitting in the face of fans is not going to help.

Reactions: Hop45
I appreciate your ardent support to the Raiders players. I believe your point of reference is however coming from a different perspective as compared to the other posters on board. Their comments are not to disparage the players, but to the powers that be whom have put these young men in an unfortunate & failing program. I could be wrong but I anticipate you may be a newer younger member to this sight. 1st thing I would say is welcome aboard. All messages are welcome & never frowned upon.
For many of the members here they have proudly followed some or all variety of MT athletics for as little as 5 years to over 50 plus years of fan devotion. And have proudly invested thousands upon thousands of $$ through those years towards their football program. For these members to see a once proud program assembled by men such as Bubber Murphy & Boots Donnely to be destroyed by men whose own selfish interests are to pad their own retirements has become terribly painful for them. Hopefully that in retrospect that's something you & a few others can see when looking at things a bit differently.
Back to your side note. You brought up WKU's fan engagement & facilities compared to ours. Well, there you go. Western got started on the whole fbs football thing a bit later than we did. But what you saw was an administration that cares about providing its fans a strong & successful football program. They have won & won big in a relatively short period of time. What you see when looking at the stands at Floyd Stadium in comparison for the rest of this year will be the results of an administration & coaching staff that enjoys counting their paychecks without any accountability to a failed program they themselves have created.
In closing, some of us have moved on while others will probably never be able to until those in charge are dismissed or retire. But one thing to assure you is I don't think anyone here ever had bitter feelings towards any of our players. Whether in wins or losses their efforts will always be admired & appreciated by all Blue Raider fans.
Somewhat new, but definitely not young. I’ve been around the game for 50 years and come from a family of HCs, OCs & DCs albeit from the HS ranks, but highly successful. Our #1 issue right now is OL play. That is handicapping our play book immensely. At this point they need to trust the QB early in games & quit waiting until the 2nd half to go more vertical. Way too many screens. Take handcuffs off the emerging playmakers & get them the ball in motion. Our biggest gains minus the Willis TD vs CSU (great move off the screen) have been down field. We did it again vs WKU but not until late in 3rd qtr. This team can move the ball in a hurry & why we don’t do this more often I do not know. The 1st TD called back vs WKU early was vertical to Metcalf. Phantom holding call. Completely messed up & have zero idea what the ref saw there. Also missed call on Holiday catch that got the WKU TD called back. Under review it was not even a catch. WR clearly did not control the catch in bounds. Bobbling & should have been incomplete. One of their INTs was a trapped ball that was assisted by nose of ball on the ground. Terrible officiating mistakes that clearly makes the WKU game much closer & a highly possible win for MTSU. Terrible play calling on 1st & goal. Again MTSU should be 4-1 at worse 3-2. I guarantee you we see some changes going forward. Nobody can watch this film & not see the errors of their ways. In the off season this team’s recruiting focus should be getting some veteran portal OL & defensive secondary pieces. This team could have a Jerry Rice in his prime & it not matter. Can’t protect QB to execute. Hopefully the DC realizes playing 7-8 yards off a receiver is not working. Get them up there defending the short passes & the heralded safeties should help over the top. Defense 101. If you don’t have the DBs to do this go get some.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Somewhat new, but definitely not young. I’ve been around the game for 50 years and come from a family of HCs, OCs & DCs albeit from the HS ranks, but highly successful. Our #1 issue right now is OL play. That is handicapping our play book immensely. At this point they need to trust the QB early in games & quit waiting until the 2nd half to go more vertical. Way too many screens. Take handcuffs off the emerging playmakers & get them the ball in motion. Our biggest gains minus the Willis TD vs CSU (great move off the screen) have been down field. We did it again vs WKU but not until late in 3rd qtr. This team can move the ball in a hurry & why we don’t do this more often I do not know. The 1st TD called back vs WKU early was vertical to Metcalf. Phantom holding call. Completely messed up & have zero idea what the ref saw there. Also missed call on Holiday catch that got the WKU TD called back. Under review it was not even a catch. WR clearly did not control the catch in bounds. Bobbling & should have been incomplete. One of their INTs was a trapped ball that was assisted by nose of ball on the ground. Terrible officiating mistakes that clearly makes the WKU game much closer & a highly possible win for MTSU. Terrible play calling on 1st & goal. Again MTSU should be 4-1 at worse 3-2. I guarantee you we see some changes going forward. Nobody can watch this film & not see the errors of their ways. In the off season this team’s recruiting focus should be getting some veteran portal OL & defensive secondary pieces. This team could have a Jerry Rice in his prime & it not matter. Can’t protect QB to execute. Hopefully the DC realizes playing 7-8 yards off a receiver is not working. Get them up there defending the short passes & the heralded safeties should help over the top. Defense 101. If you don’t have the DBs to do this go get some.
Oh bless your heart. You must be newer to MT football than me. “I guarantee you we see some changes going forward” your heart is about to be broken.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Changes in play calling & scheme both sides of the ball. I could care less about administration at this point. They don’t play the game.

O-Line has been the primary issue for years now. THAT is squarely on the coaching. Either bad recruiting or piss poor development. Or both. Zero changes within the coaching ranks in this area. Stuff like this is why folks like us are no longer invested.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Just read the rest of your post. Same answer. All deficiencies you mention have been present for YEARS! Those who can fix do not seem to care, otherwise some improvement should be noted. There is none.

Leave is a subjective term. I'm done until changes are made. Haven't been on campus in almost five years. And no intent to come back until things are drastically different.

We've had the same problems with OL for 15 years and the same coaches for the last 10 or so. This is not hyperbole either. Mallory & Polly have played hot potato coaching the OL for the last decade but it's been a mess with both of them. Rick refuses to fire them because they're so close with each other now. They've been through marriages, heart attacks, and who knows what else together. Rick will take bullets for them and will not fire them unless his own job is at stake, and he knows that's not possible with his albatross of a contract. He's had McPhee and Massaro by the balls since 2009.

Stockstill, West, Polly, Mallory, and Brent Brock are basically family at this point. He will not fire them under any circumstances. They've simply been together for too long. Wouldn't surprise me if they spend holidays together nowadays.

Lastly, they have so much influence on the program beyond just being coaches. Rick has donated substantial sums of money to the program and to help build blue. Mike "12 men on the field" Polly's wife is a major fundraiser for Build Blue and has been a part of the university for going on two decades. She's helped raise over a million dollars for the new construction stuff. The coaches and their families have been here so long they're ingrained into the community and have support from the decision makers. McPhee, Steve Smith, Massaro, et al. The coaches families are also probably half the people in the stands for these last few games, the other half being players families.

It would take total destruction of the program and several 2-3 win seasons before they would actually consider firing somebody. Nobody is going anywhere as long as we maintain around .500 - We are "Middle" Tennessee after all.

**I could see Massaro getting froze out and fired. He's a bit of a goof ball and the definition of a beta. Would be the perfect fall guy for McPhee and Rick. Ultimately, firing Massaro wouldn't change anything though.

Last edited:
We've had the same problems with OL for 15 years and the same coaches for the last 10 or so. This is not hyperbole either. Mallory & Polly have played hot potato coaching the OL for the last decade but it's been a mess with both of them. Rick refuses to fire them because they're so close with each other now. They've been through marriages, heart attacks, and who knows what else together. Rick will take bullets for them and will not fire them unless his own job is at stake, and he knows that's not possible with his albatross of a contract. He's had McPhee and Massaro by the balls since 2009.

Stockstill, West, Polly, Mallory, and Brent Brock are basically family at this point. He will not fire them under any circumstances. They've simply been together for too long. Wouldn't surprise me if they spend holidays together nowadays.

Lastly, they have so much influence on the program beyond just being coaches. Rick has donated substantial sums of money to the program and to help build blue. Mike "12 men on the field" Polly's wife is a major fundraiser for Build Blue and has been a part of the university for going on two decades. She's helped raise over a million dollars for the new construction stuff. The coaches and their families have been here so long they're ingrained into the community and have support from the decision makers. McPhee, Steve Smith, Massaro, et al. The coaches families are also probably half the people in the stands for these last few games, the other half being players families.

It would take total destruction of the program and several 2-3 win seasons before they would actually consider firing somebody. Nobody is going anywhere as long as we maintain around .500 - We are "Middle" Tennessee after all.

**I could see Massaro getting froze out and fired. He's a bit of a goof ball and the definition of a beta. Would be the perfect fall guy for McPhee and Rick. Ultimately, firing Massaro wouldn't change anything though.
Unless Lee replaced him. Then it would still be difficult to get out of Rick’s contract.

Massaro is a robot. I don’t know if he’s human. The assistant AD needs promoted and fill the AD role. This team needs ripped. I mean ripped then play the ones who can handle it. Ball isn’t getting to the playmakers often enough. When they do get it, we move the ball in chunks!!! I’ve never seen an offense with only 2 pass protections. HS’s have 4-5 or at least they do if they are “air raid”. That would be a nice start. Need more pass protections if you even want to think about protecting QB against modern day defenses. QB1 is being hung out to dry. It’s getting to him. He deserves better! Another note: WRs need to stop going backwards trying to get extra yards. Costing us 1st downs. Metcalf, Willis & Olsen that’s the playmakers consistently all season & numbers don’t lie. It’s a shame we can’t get it to them more often. Regardless of the issues, Coach Stock needs to have a come to Jesus moment with his staff or “family” or he’s not doing his job. Players, fans, etc. deserve better…much better.

The Rams were down 30-10 with 4:02 to go in the fourth. They came back and beat Boise St 31-30. Wow…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT