ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee @ (RV) Missouri, SEC Network+, 6PM, Saturday, September 9, 2023

Much better game. I went in to this really thinking we could win it. Still super pissed. We beat ourselves with several dumb penalties.

If we play like this in conference play with a few adjustments, we will be fine. Need to shore up on open field tackling, for sure need better routes for the receivers, and of course the never ending issue of the OL. Between Nick running for his like and Peasant getting frustrated, the issues are apparent.

Game Comparison
STATmtum
Total Yds285316
Pass Yds214204
Rush Yds71112
Penalties6-415-50
1st Downs1621
3rd Downs9-187-13
4th Downs2-30-0
Total Plays6565
Avg Yds/Play4.44.9
Avg Yds/Completion9.714.6
Avg Yds/Rush2.42.4
Sack-Adj Rush Yd(Avg)92 (3.7)143 (3.4)
Red Zone3-33-3
Time of Poss28:0032:00
Turnovers (Def Pts Off)0 (0)0 (0)
Fumbles-Lost0-01-0
Sacks (Def Yds)4 (31)4 (21)
TFL (Def Yds)7 (35)12 (46)

It's crazy how close those stats are.

It just comes down to one team making a play here or there (or in our case, not making the play).

These are the type of games MT has to win consistently to make progress as a program. Yes, effort was commendable and opportunities were present to win in Missouri. But, “almost” is one of the most heartbreaking words in all the English Language. Bottom line at the end of the day it’s still 0-2 for the season. Best thing left for MT to do is win this conference outright with no excuses. The question now is how bad do we want to win it? The talent is there to make noise; now we need to show it each week and be very consistent.

These are the type of games MT has to win consistently to make progress as a program. Yes, effort was commendable and opportunities were present to win in Missouri. But, “almost” is one of the most heartbreaking words in all the English Language. Bottom line at the end of the day it’s still 0-2 for the season. Best thing left for MT to do is win this conference outright with no excuses. The question now is how bad do we want to win it? The talent is there to make noise; now we need to show it each week and be very consistent.
App St is 3-10 vs P5 programs since they moved up in 2014. The difference is they’ve been close in well over half of those losses. People remember them and they do make a difference. We’re 3-16 in that same span.

Reactions: tyler90wm
Still cautiously optimistic for the season even at 0-2 right now; all the season goals are still in sight. I would say the offensive play calling is improved from previous years; seems to be more vertical passing than I remember.

illegL SUB BY mt ON 3RD DOWN

In looking back, there were about three crucial plays in the game that we’re deciding factors but this one alone probably cost us the game. Because Missou would have punted back to us and at worst we go into half up 7-3.

This cost us the game. Kind of things that can’t happen if you want to beat an SEC team.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Still cautiously optimistic for the season even at 0-2 right now; all the season goals are still in sight. I would say the offensive play calling is improved from previous years; seems to be more vertical passing than I remember.

I kind of feel the same way.

All due respect to O'Hara and Cunningham, but I really think we got ourselves a dynamic QB for the first time since Brent. O'hara could run, but wasn't much of a threat with his arm. Cunningham was good - he didn't hurt us, but, IHMO, I never felt he was really a guy that could elevate his game to a higher level - kind of a like a manager.

Vatiatto has a good, accurate arm, and he combines it with the mobility to move around (much needed with our shite offensive line).

Next week we should roll. After that, CSU will be a fair test and then WKU will tell us whether or not the rest of the season is worth watching. WKU looks good this year.

Reactions: Hop45 and ewglenn
Watched some of FCS Austin Peay frustrate & outplay Tennessee yesterday. Late in the game it was 23-13 Tennessee before pulling it out 30-13. So much of football is coaching & preparation.
How much better could we have looked in our 1st 2 games if we had been better prepared by the coaching staff to avoid early season mistakes. If only our 2 star coaching staff had the same desire & effort in preparing our players for early season action we wouldn't be half bad.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Stock’s postgame presser was full of more coach speak than Butch Jones in his on-field halftime interview down 24-3 to Memphis. “Resilient….compete……blah blah blah.”

Vatiatto has a good, accurate arm, and he combines it with the mobility to move around (much needed with our shite offensive line).

Good chance he gets stolen after this season IMO if he keeps playing like he is. MT will never be able to match what some of these other mid level P5's can offer our kids. Jaylin Lane took the money and ran. He's playing well at Virginia Tech now, all for a whopping 100k. I see a very similar fate for Vattiato. We are just dirt poor. I don't think we could even match 50k.

Good chance he gets stolen after this season IMO if he keeps playing like he is. MT will never be able to match what some of these other mid level P5's can offer our kids. Jaylin Lane took the money and ran. He's playing well at Virginia Tech now, all for a whopping 100k. I see a very similar fate for Vattiato. We are just dirt poor. I don't think we could even match 50k.

This is going to be life for any program that's not at the top of the food chain.

Even P5 teams lose them - Wake's QB went to ND.

Just got to get good at replacing them.

Reactions: Hop45 and ewglenn
App St is 3-10 vs P5 programs since they moved up in 2014. The difference is they’ve been close in well over half of those losses. People remember them and they do make a difference. We’re 3-16 in that same span.
For what it’s worth, that’s is statistically true.

However, take a look at Appalachian State’s conference championship resume and it’s heads and shoulders above the Blue Raiders. I remember more recently a 13-45 shellacking of the Blue Raiders in the 2018 New Orleans Bowl. Mountaineers have two outright championships and two co championships since moving to FBS in 2014. They also have three FCS/I-AA championships to our none in their history. The best we can say anywhere near that timeline is an 1992 OVC outright Championship and two co-championships in 2001 and 2006 and a CUSA championship game appearance against UAB that we lost to 12 men on the field. Every now and then it will look respectable enough to play close or get one of those rare wins.

Our mantra: We compete to get bowl eligible year after year. Coach gets a year for his lifetime contract.

Other peer schools: We play for championships and occasionally do win. Sometimes we even get ranked in the final polls.

The late Lee Iacocca had it exactly right regarding success: “lead, follow, or get out of the way”. Doesn’t matter if one is leading Chrysler Motors or a FBS football team. It’s refreshing to see Deion’s transformation leadership at Colorado. That’s what a championship mentality looks like. Colorado Buffaloes may not win it in 2023, but they’re coming. It doesn’t look like MT Blue Raiders is coming and the window is already beginning to close at 0-2. By mid October we’ll know our championship prospects for sure!

Mizzou tied with #15 Kansas St 27 - 27 with the ball & minute left

Dang, would have been a nice one to grab last week. I still have no idea what kind of team we have this year or how they will compete in conference.

Reactions: ewglenn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT