ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (10-2) vs Georgia State (6-4), 6:30PM, Wednesday, December 21, 2016

MT really needs to bounce back and win this one tonight. It would be nice for the Blue Raiders to be able to have this holiday time off and practice with a win instead of the bad taste of a loss. Getting back on winning track heading into conference play would seem quite beneficial.

I'm kind of hoping the Blue Raiders take out their VCU loss on the Ga State game tonight.

I thought it was possible that the VCU game could take something out of us. It looks like it may have.

Really ticked off about this one. This put a big dent in our at large chances if we don't win the conference.

Terrible. They'll recover, but at large chances diminished if not gone. This team that looked like a top 25 team last week, looks like a middle of the road Sunbelt team tonight.

Really concerned about this game after the VCU loss.

I guess that is what they call getting beat by VCU twice.

Any shot at an at-large has is pretty much gone now. I wouldn't say impossible, but incredibly improbable now.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Ugly, piss poor effort. There was no time in the game where the players showed any intention to win this game. Most god awful passing I have seen.in ages. Typical Middle.

You could tell Kermit was upset in the post game interview. Probably the closest to top 25/ national recognition outside of an NCAA upset in his fifteen years.

He said he could smell this coming.

Do we blame this one on fatigue. I don't think we have much productivity from our reserves. The big 3 have been ballin out of control for 9-10 games. At some point fatigue sets in.

I think that's a big part of it. It's unfortunate we have to be almost flawless with this tough schedule to even get votes or considered for an at large.

I commend Kermit for getting this kind of schedule. Imagine what our record would have looked like with the teams from 8 and 9 years ago.

Both Corey and Reggie had off games. Giddy was ok.

Gotta have two of those three playing decent in order to win.

That was pretty ugly. Ga State was so loose, we were tight. The zone they ran with there big guy up top on both the zone and the press gave us fits. GSU effort reminds me of us when we are balling. Hopefully this was just one of those games.

On a good note, if any of us would have said we would be 10-3 before the season at this point, all of us would have taken it. Lets not get to down on the team, we still have a long way to go.

speechless.....lost to a 6-4 Ga. State team on OUR floor? Where we never lose?

So long at-large bids. Regular season meaningless now. All about the CUSA Tournament.

Ugly game. They chopped us everytime we did something. Not sure what the problem is but maybe a slump after some November success.

Potts had some great steals and was solid defensively. Our turnovers and numbers on offense was brutal. Low percentages.

I enjoyed myself. Kids had a great time. Can't win em all. I hate 630 tip offs coming in from outside the boro. Will never make it on time.

Last edited:
An acquaintance I saw at the game last night was at his first game this year. His first comment early in the first half was: "Ga. State has better athletes."

A quick look at the stars given by verbalcommits.com will confirm this. (Before some of you go off I am aware that stars don't mean everything and that there are exceptions to every rule - verbal commits is a composite of Rivals, Scout, and ESPN.)

MT's overall team stars: 2.125 - Ga. State's 2.667

MT has three players with over a 2.0 rating (which can be anything from a walk-on who never plays to a Giddy Potts.):
Williams 2.7, Upshaw 2.3 and the redshirt Thomas @ 2.5
Ga. State has players with: 4.0, 3.7, 3.3, 3.0, 2.7, 2.7 and 2.3 star ratings

We were beaten by a team with better overall talent, a team for whom the game meant more, a team who followed their defensive game plan effectively, a team who shot very well, and a team with a respected coach on the %$&-major level. We had just come off of what could be argued was the most important three game run in school history and suffered a heart-breaking loss in the last game. I'm not as much disappointed at the loss as I am that we haven't been able to attract better players who might have been able to overcome the poor play last night.

And as an aside: Even after our success over the last five years every, let me repeat that: EVERY signee in next year's class is rated as a 2 star player.

Last edited:
I agree about the better team winning. And they won decisively. Starting to wonder if we really are as good as we think we are.

We had an off night that reminded me of the TSU game. They may have been rated low, but Upshaw and Potts are physical as anyone. UAB will tell us where we are with Norton and their 7'- 6'9 guys.

Were not good enough to have multiple off nights against average OOC competition. We've got nobody to blame but ourselves if we don't win the CUSA tournament for the NCAA bid because CUSA will not be getting two bids now. No way.

Wow. I get that the loss was frustrating and all. Now all of a sudden the rest of the regular season is meaningless and MT has inferior talent? I think there might be some overreaction here. I really wanted MT to win these last two games. If MT had won both games, I think we'd be talking about a top 25 ranked team right now. Frustrating and disappointing? Yes, but there is still an incredible season to be achieved in front of this team. Let's face it, we are talking about the basketball team, not the football team. I would understand if all of this reaction was regarding football.

For starters, had MT even won that game an at-large still would have been difficult. Admittedly, the Ga State loss now makes it highly improbable. Not impossible, albeit sort of close. What would happen if MT went on to win 10-15 straight from here? I think it would get some attention in addition to garnering some votes in the polls. Sure it would be extremely tough to make that at-large bid, but a lot could still be gained by impressive play from here. Not the least of which is seeding if MT can pull off the conf tourney championship. I'd say right now, MT has as good of chances as anyone in the conference of winning the conf tourney.

Before this season started, I too had concerns about recruiting and recruits' ratings following the recent success. I then heard an excellent interview Kermit did back in the summer/fall where he really went into his approach. I know that interview went a long way to addressing most of my concerns. It's hard to argue with his success using his approach. I think it is pretty clear that Kermit's system is mostly responsible for all of the success. Being that Kermit's system is sort of old school physical, extreme effort, constant hard work, and toughness, not a ton of today's young recruits could hack it in Kermit's system. I think that it was evidenced in those 5 years or so of average performance and lots of players leaving the program.

About 6 years ago, Kermit started to more effectively land the type of players that are a good match for his system. That system is his approach in recruiting. He's looking for talented athletic players who fit his system instead of just higher rated recruits. Now that Kermit is establishing success, more players are willing to work hard in his system now that it is being proven successful.

My opinion of the Ga State loss is that the VCU loss was unusually mentally taxing on the team. As such, the team had a hard time getting themselves mentally ready to put forth the intense effort required to put away a team like Ga State. At this level, G5, you almost have to be perfect to get into the top 25. Even though the Blue Raiders are a really good team, it's understandable that they are going to have a couple of games where they are off. For P5 programs, an off night or two is a lot more easily overlooked due to bias for the top 25 in my opinion.

Reactions: bluefutcpa
An added thought regarding recruiting and ratings.

I don't know the exact ratings or rankings of players like Upshaw and Potts, but I think they have more than proven they were underrated. Both were generally in the 2-star range I gather. In my opinion, they have more than proven they were worth more of 3 or even 4 stars. There may be a handful of 10 or 12 teams nationally where those two guys wouldn't start.

Kermit finding that talent in addition to their toughness and work ethic to fit into his system is what's key for Kermit's program.

Have to say we must win C-USA Tournament to be sure!! Not saying regular season is meaningless (tournament seeding), but we need 17-1 or 16-2 in right circumstance in C-USA to make at large. Remember Murray State couldn't get in as a bridesmaid to Belmont by one point in OVC Tournament Championship. They had a perfect 16-0 OVC regular season in 2014-15 (same team defeated us soundly in November 2014). They were ranked #25 at end of 2014-15 season in one poll. Point is that it is so hard for a"G5 member" or the dreaded "mid major" moniker to make it while an $EC or B1G team can at just over .500 in many years...that is the real lament. Further proof is Louisiana Tech had only 6 losses before their C-USA tournament loss in 2013-14 and didn't make NCAA. Blue Raiders tied at 13-3 for the regular season crown--with Tulsa and La Tech. Tulsa made the dance that year. Blue Raiders be just fine if we maintain our poise and win the Tournament come March. Don't trust the selection committee, just win the automatic bid!

Definitely not time to panic. We will have a few more losses but come tournament time the guys will be ready.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT