ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Cancun Challenge -Middle Tennessee (3-1) vs. Rider (2-3), 10:30AM, Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Fun opportunity for the team. Anyone know how these games are paid for? Does the team foot the entire bill or the host site chip in some money too?

I'm showing an early line of Rider -1. Essentially a pick'em.

We should never be a pick'em against a MAAC school unless it's Iona in their prime. Yikes.

I'm confused as to what time the game will start. Goblueraiders.com says 11:30 AM ET (LINK), while the website for the Cancun Challenge shows 12:30 ET?

MT -1 with 15 cents on them where I book. -124 on the ML. Looks like some late money coming in on the Blue Raiders or Vegas likes them.

For a second right before both National anthems, I thought I was listening to the wrong game when Chip said we were getting ready to tip-off against Drexel.😂

Why did Sims come back? Better still, why did McDevitt let him?

0 for 6 FG
0 for 3 3pt
1 asst. to 4 TO for a PG
This in one half,
And this 5th year player should be your team leader.

Credit where credit it due: Better 2nd half from Sims

Last edited:
So we play the winner of Bucknell/Mercer tomorrow at 3ET. Which while Bucknell is 1-3 they look to be the stronger of the two.

Glad to have this W.

So we play the winner of Bucknell/Mercer tomorrow at 3ET. Which while Bucknell is 1-3 they look to be the stronger of the two.

Glad to have this W.
I think you’re wrong. Mercer is a much better team. I fully expect them to win.

I listened to the audio stream and that was the absolute worst piece of crap to listen to. Just awful.

Good win I suppose. Any win for the team is a good one going on four years into this regime.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Good win- will be interesting to see who they play tomorrow.. Mercer should've beat Winthrop as they were up 9 with under a minute to play in regulation before the Bears sh!t the bed (turnovers, missed FT's) and ultimately lost in overtime..

MT today had two 6th year players with 5 TO's each- gotta get a handle on that.. shooting % still poor but I couldn't watch to see what the shot selection looked like (i.e bad decisions/hero shots vs good looks that didn't go down in a weird conference hall setup like many of these tropical venues)

kingaling42: It often looks like we jack up 3s any time we are open. Shots are taken with the player not being in a good shooting posture (not squared up and no follow through) and not within any team flow. Hard to understand why we frequently look so disjointed on offense.
Once the younger players get some PT and the substitution patterns are set hopefully this will show improvement.

crposton: In the postgame it was stated (McDevitt?) that a starter was left home for each team. Millin for MT and the starting post for Rider. If the reason was given I didn't catch it.

In the postgame it was stated (McDevitt?) that a starter was left home for each team. Millin for MT and the starting post for Rider. If the reason was given I didn't catch it.

Chip earlier (pre-game?) made reference to heavy precautions in place down there and I wondered if players not vaccinated might be a reason....

Reactions: ewglenn
kingaling42: It often looks like we jack up 3s any time we are open. Shots are taken with the player not being in a good shooting posture (not squared up and no follow through) and not within any team flow. Hard to understand why we frequently look so disjointed on offense.
Once the younger players get some PT and the substitution patterns are set hopefully this will show improvement.

crposton: In the postgame it was stated (McDevitt?) that a starter was left home for each team. Millin for MT and the starting post for Rider. If the reason was given I didn't catch it.
Initially this year I don't think that this team is a great shooting team, the sample size is increasing and the percentages are about the same from the perimeter, plus you can look at FT% and make a decent read on who is more likely to be consistent from deep- in instances when we are wide open there's only 2 guys that I feel like 'that's going in'- we have some streaky guys that can get going but none of these guys strike me as the type of guy that you say, give him attempts and he'll shoot himself into a streak... that said this team needs to be more consistent and learn what good shots are- this is D-1 ball not all of these attempts should be wide open but shots under control, good defensive balance in case of misses, and in the flow of whatever action we're running..

Again, I didn't see this game so I'm not sure what the shot selection looked like.. on paper Sims' was 1 for 7, Jefferson, Buford, & King were each 0 for 3- so that's 1 of 16 right there alone; compounded today by poor FT shooting 11 of 21 with Dishman mainly dragging those numbers down.. having watched all of the other games there have been stretches of good ball movement, making the extra pass and shots simply not falling.. we saw that early in the SFA game, several stretches vs Winthrop for instance.. late in the SFA game you saw most of the team trying to shoot themselves back into the game with ~4 minutes remaining and subsequently the SFA lead ballooned and it looks bad- real bad... I try not to compare this team to other year's teams but that was very similar to what we seen before.. I get that teams want to try to shoot themselves back in a game when there is 1-2 minutes remaining but I was disappointed in seeing that happen with so much more time remaining in that game for example. If MT is going to lose any games with this group, I'd rather see them go down executing at a higher level for as close to 40 minutes as possible.. young players have to learn what a good shot is at this level- not all of these guys are young players though.. I'm looking at guys like Sims and Jefferson to help the younger guys figure that out.. I'd also like to see Dishman and the BIGs more involved in the post, getting touches and looking to kick the ball out if pressure comes or the defense collapses down; he's a decent passer/decent vision but get's in trouble with TO's when the defense doesn't double and he's hesitant to make an offensive move- inside out shots are the best..

This team does have some distinct differences from other teams for those paying more attention to the details than simply the results..
- Team has been exceptional at converting TO's into points- 25 pt off TO's today
- Bench scoring has been consistent this year- haven't had much of a bench to speak of for years so getting 26 points (43% of total points) from the bench today is a huge lift and keeps team fresh

Lots of work still to be done but some distinct differences thus far from my vantage point..

Mercer took care of Bucknell- Alvarez is their guy but Haase is a smart player down low.. gonna have to be play smart to win tomorrow

Reactions: Hop45
Didn't get to watch the game. A win is always nice but it's concerning to me we can't muster more than 60 points of offense and continue to shoot terribly against a middle of the pack MAAC team that's one of the worst conferences in basketball.

Loving the defense we have but we have got to find a way to score the ball.

Iona will likely win the conference (5-0 this season so far). They lost in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament last year with Rick Petino in his 1st season.

It must be nice to have a coach take the team to the NCAA tournament in his first season.

Iona will likely win the conference (5-0 this season so far). They lost in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament last year with Rick Petino in his 1st season.

It must be nice to have a coach take the team to the NCAA tournament in his first season.
Iona returned 3x the amount of scoring from the previous season compared to CNM/MT's first season and Inoa had a 1st team all-conference player on the roster- seems like apples to oranges..

You're seriously comparing Pitino to CNM? That's apples to grapefruits... That's funny...

Reactions: subkyle
That would be like us hiring Art Briles for football. Art would win a lot of games here. That isn’t the issue. The issue is all the baggage you take on just to win some games.

Iona returned 3x the amount of scoring from the previous season compared to CNM/MT's first season and Inoa had a 1st team all-conference player on the roster- seems like apples to oranges..

You're seriously comparing Pitino to CNM? That's apples to grapefruits... That's funny...
I am not comparing them. I'm pointing out the greatness of Petino.

Now, as far as McDevitt, I think he should have had a winning record his first season, at a bare minimum. Not only did it not happen, but the records got worse in the following seasons.

11, 8 and 5 wins for a season looks incompetent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT