ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Camellia Bowl: Middle Tennessee vs Ark. State (ESPN), 7PM, Saturday, December 16, 2017

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Bowl game thread, links are a work in progress:

DQuDZB4X0AcN2-4.jpg

Bowl: Raycom Media Camellia Bowl
Teams: Middle Tennessee vs Arkansas State
Kickoff: Saturday, December 16 at 7 p.m. (CT)
Tickets:Order onlineor call 615-898-5261. Ticket Packages are available!
Live Coverage: ESPN HD, ESPN3, ESPN Radio, Blue Raider Network, TuneIn

Middle Tennessee:
Game Notes | Schedule | Roster | News | Statistics | Bowl Guide | Media Guide | Website

Arkansas State:
Game Notes | Schedule | Roster | News | Statistics | Bowl Guide | Media Guide | Website

Opponent:
Arkansas State
Founded: 1909
Enrollment: 14,074 Undergrad 10,080 Postgrad 3709 Doctoral: 245
Acceptance rate: anybody or anything with a pulse
Colors: Scarlet, Black and White Nickname: Red Wolves (Indians 1931–2008)
Mascot: Howl and Scarlet
Fight song: ASU Fight Song
Series: MT leads 9-5
Stadium: Centennial Bank Stadium (30,382)
Head Coach: Blake Anderson (Sam Houston State, 1992)
Record at ASU: 31-20 (4) Overall: same
2015 Record: 8-5 / 7-1 T1st Bowl: 2016 Cure Bowl - Arkansas State 31, UCF 13
Starters Returning: 9 (5 off./4 def.) Starters Lost: 13 (6 off./7 def.)
Lettermen Returning: 48 (22 off./24 def/2 spec.) Lettermen Lost: 27 (15 off./10 def./2 spec.)

Weather Forecast:

Where: Cramton Bowl, 1022 Madison Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Stadium Policies (prohibited items):

Ticket Notes:

Television:
ESPN, Taylor Zarzour (play-by-play) Andre Ware (analyst) Olivia Harlan (sideline)

Radio: PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Wes Counts, WMOT FM 89.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS AM 1450 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 100.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 101.9 (Murfreesboro), WPRT FM 102.5 (Nashville), (TuneIn app)

Streaming: Audio, Video(Watch ESPN and the ESPN app)

Live Stats:

Newspapers:

Message Boards: , , , , , ,

Blogs: ,

Athletic site:
, goblueraiders.com

Media Guides: Ark State, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: 2017 SBNation Preview, (Orlando Sentinel # ), Middle Tennessee 2017 SBNation Preview, Middle Tennessee (Orlando Sentinel #73),

Game Notes: ASU game notes, MT game notes

Game Previews: Camellia Bowl Preview and Prediction: Middle Tennessee vs. Arkansas State, 2017 Camellia Bowl Preview: Arkansas State vs Middle Tennessee

Roster: Red Wolves, Blue Raiders

Twitter: @CamelliaBowl, @AStateFB, @AStateRedWolves, , , ,

Hashtags:
#CamelliaBowl, #WolvesUp, #weHOWL, , ,

Facebook:
, ,

Youtube: ,, , ,

Instagram:

Last edited:
I listened to some of the Stockstill show tonight. They talked about how we were very injured on the offensive side of the ball this year. Of course I didn't hear much about it during the season. Top secret stuff. They don't have many back so don't expect anything from the offense this Saturday. They built a case for struggling against AK St. this Saturday. They set expectations very low.

Ugh. The coaches show is just so underwhelming. I feel like Rick never gets excited for anything. I get the vibe that we are just happy to be there, and if we win then we win, no biggie. And if we lose, no biggie.

I just don't get any sense of fire or passion (not sure why this surprises me). Was hoping this "second life" would light a fire under our staffs and players asses' - But I'm not getting that vibe.

This is a big game. It's big for recruiting. It's big for carrying momentum into the off-season. It's big because it's a nationally televised opportunity for us to make a statement (instead of getting embarassed). And I just don't get the sense from the Coach Speak that this is all understood very well.

Reactions: MTsumner92
excerpt:

...The Camellia Bowl features the MTSU Blue Raiders facing the Arkansas State Red Wolves in college football action.

The MTSU Blue Raiders won three of the last four to close the regular season and receive an unexpected Bowl invite. Middle Tennessee was supposed to challenge for the CUSA crown but when star quarterback Brent Stockstill was injured, surviving became the goal of this team. Stockstill returned for the final four games but the offense as a whole wasn’t explosive at 24.8 points on 398.9 yards although the team still threw effectively with an average of 252.7 yards per contest. The Blue Raiders leaned on a solid defense more then expected but the unit generally held up with 24.2 points allowed on 349.3 yards with top 50 numbers against both the run and pass.

Despite missing half the season Stockstill still threw 204 times and connected on 58.3% for 1,440 yards with 14 touchdowns and five interceptions so MTSU will continue to live or die on the passing attack in their Bowl. Ty Lee is the top Blue Raiders receiver with 75 receptions for 916 yards and five scores but five other caught 20+ passes so the passing game does spread the ball around. Middle Tennessee didn’t run the ball a lot but were effective none the less with Brad Anderson and Tavares Thomas combined for 1,000+ yards on 166 carries with Anderson catching 33 balls out of the backfield.

The Arkansas State Red Wolves went 2-2 in their final four games which dropped the team to third in the Sun Belt. Arkansas State was impressive offensively with 498.4 yards and 38.5 point. Most of the Red Wolves production came through the air with the #6 passing game averaging 341.2 yards. The ASU defense was sturdy as well with just under 25 points given up on 381.5 yards. If the Red Wolves had a weakness it was against the pass with opponents averaging 242.3 yards because either couldn’t run or had to throw because they were behind.

Red Wolves quarterback Justice Hansen was the focal point of opposing defenses yet he succeeded by taking whatever he could get whether it be long, short or anything in between. Hansen completed 274-430 for 3,635 yards with 34 scores and 15 picks and averaged around 8.5 yards per attempt. Arkansas State had plenty of receiving options with the trio of Justin McInnis, Chris Murray and Blake Mack combining for 131 receptions and over 1,350 yards. Warren Wand was the top back with 660 yards on 124 touches but the offense wasn’t know for cranking out rushing yards.

Over is 7-0 in MTSU last 7 games after scoring more than 40 points in their previous game and MTSU are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 neutral site games and over is 4-0 in MTSU last 4 games following a straight up win of more than 20 points. Under is 12-2 in Arkansas State last 14 games after accumulating more than 280 yards passing in their previous game and under is 6-1 in Arkansas State last 7 games following a straight up loss and under is 14-3-1 in Arkansas State last 18 games on fieldturf. Favorite is 9-1 ATS in their last 10 meetings and home team is 5-1 ATS in their last 6 meetings and MTSU are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 meetings.....

Ugh. The coaches show is just so underwhelming. I feel like Rick never gets excited for anything. I get the vibe that we are just happy to be there, and if we win then we win, no biggie. And if we lose, no biggie.

I just don't get any sense of fire or passion (not sure why this surprises me). Was hoping this "second life" would light a fire under our staffs and players asses' - But I'm not getting that vibe.

This is a big game. It's big for recruiting. It's big for carrying momentum into the off-season. It's big because it's a nationally televised opportunity for us to make a statement (instead of getting embarassed). And I just don't get the sense from the Coach Speak that this is all understood very well.

First of all, Stock is always down playing everything, except our opponents. I think the key for us is having a healthy Johnson. When he can run the ball, our offense is close to being pretty good. I think we need to score 30 points to win. The last four games of the year we averaged 36 points, gonna need similar production on Saturday; our D will stop their run but they will pass the ball for a lot of yards, need some turnovers and hopefully a few drives will be FGs instead of TDs.

Look they are the better team this year, but we have a good chance. No expectations, just anticipation on my part.

Reactions: Hop45 and MT Glenn
Superfancoolers.com:
http://superfancoolers.com/arkansas...-media-camellia-bowl-prediction-game-preview/
Arkansas State vs. Middle Tennessee: Raycom Media Camellia Bowl Prediction, Game Preview

excerpt:

...Three Honest Thoughts On The Raycom Media Camellia Bowl
– Middle Tennessee, it’s time to win a bowl game again. The program has lost its last four and five of its last six – and badly. Outside of the win over Southern Miss in the 2009 New Orleans Bowl, since the team has gone bowling again after a long layoff – going from 1964 to 2006 without an appearance, starting out with a loss in the 1956 Refrigerator Bowl to Sam Houston State – all five of this losses since 2006 have been double-digit blowouts.

This is Arkansas State’s seventh-straight bowl appearance and eighth since 2005. There were two close wins – the 2012 and 2013 GoDaddy.com Bowls – and the other five were blowouts. Combine this with Middle Tennessee’s history of ugly bowl losses, and it’ll take a historical aberration for this to be another fantastic Raycom Media Camellia Bowl.

– This caps off an important day for the Sun Belt and Conference USA. Troy – one of the Sun Belt’s co-champions – is taking on North Texas from C-USA in the first bowl of the day in the R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, Georgia State gets a shot against WKU in the AutoNation Cure Bowl, and then there’s this. Troy should be UNT, but that will be a battle, and WKU is supposed to beat the Panthers.............

Danny Kannell said Arky st. has been rolling. They were 2-2 in their last 4 games. How in the world is that rolling? Arky st. is 7-5 and has a FCS win so in reality, they have 6 FBS wins and so do we. Plus, they lost to freaking South Alabama. Sorry Danny, not buying it. They played a 4 win power 5 team well but..... they lost. We beat a P5 team.

If Thomas, Anderson and West are playing with a clicking pass offense, I like us in this one.

Reactions: MTLynn
Danny Kannell said Arky st. has been rolling. They were 2-2 in their last 4 games. How in the world is that rolling? Arky st. is 7-5 and has a FCS win so in reality, they have 6 FBS wins and so do we. Plus, they lost to freaking South Alabama. Sorry Danny, not buying it. They played a 4 win power 5 team well but..... they lost. We beat a P5 team.

If Thomas, Anderson and West are playing with a clicking pass offense, I like us in this one.

On paper , were at least as talented.

That said, Stock's track record in bowls shows that these games are minimal effort affairs.

I'm not optimistic, but here is another opportunity to do something that would move this program forward and setup some positive momentum going into offseason.

I think Danny K was referring to the last 2 games, we’ve rolled up almost 1,400 yds of offense.

Yet you still went 1-1 and won 7 games (6 FBS) with a healthy QB thoughout the entire season while ours had a 300lb DL crack his sternum and separate it from his collarbone and still managed to come back to finish the season. Color me unimpressed with Arky st. Whether we step up or not is the question. We know Arky st.'s staff well enough and our D is much different now. We'll see how it goes.

All I know about Ark St is the last time I watched Stock coach against them, Hugh Freeze hung 45 points on him. 45-19.

And it was cold.

Same thing happened the following season except Stock got shutout 45-0.

This will be ugly.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Damn right it will be ugly! Revenge is dish best served cold so arky state better get ready for a frozen plate of $&@$. Stock is pissed and is about to unleash the beast! Get your DVR’s ready you are going to want relive this epic bowl game ass kicking for years to come!

Betting public always gets the mid majors right. . Load up boys parlay the money line to the over and you will be all good!

Damn right it will be ugly! Revenge is dish best served cold so arky state better get ready for a frozen plate of $&@$. Stock is pissed and is about to unleash the beast! Get your DVR’s ready you are going to want relive this epic bowl game ass kicking for years to come!
That hasn’t happened for nearly 8 seasons.

The biggest factors for MT going into this game, that were missing through the middle of the season, are Brent, Thomas and West

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT