ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL UAB @ Middle Tennessee, 5PM, Sunday, January 1, 2017

I agree this has a chance to be a good rivalry, maybe some reluctance on their part. They look big this year.

I was at the1986 game in Birmingham. MT had beaten Michigan the night before. That game was specifically mentioned when MT got the NCAA at large over Louisville that March. MT should've beaten UAB except for the officials who took the game over at the end to ensure uab and Gene Bartow got the win. It's the nearest thing to a rape on the basketball court I've been witness to. I have never been so angry at a basketball game as that one. To top it off, when I got to my car, I tuned in to the uab post game show and just about went postal at Bartow's comments. He was saying how badly the officials had nearly cost uab the game. Didn't say one positive word about MT . I was screaming back at the radio, using every expletive I knew. If I could have reached through the radio I believe I could have choked him then and there. Had absolutely no respect for the man from that point forward. I know uab and Memphis fans revere the sob but all I remember is that night when the Blue Raiders got raped in Birmingham.

Still pissed three decades later.

all you drunks should be over your NYE hangover by Sunday afternoon. Get your sorry asses to Murphy Center to cheer the Blue Raiders on against UAB. The Blazers are due some payback from last year's sweep.
Look at the gauntlet UAB has had to run so far....

-Kansas
-George Washington
-ST Mary's
-Auburn
-Memphis
-Texas

Reactions: SpaceRaider
excerpt:

The UAB Blazers will travel to the Murphy Athletic Center to take on the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders this Sunday afternoon in College Basketball action.

The UAB Blazers Improved to 7-6 on the season after defeating the D-II Miles Golden Bears, 98-66, this past Wednesday. UAB had no trouble cruising to victory after the Blazers dominated the 1st half and went into halftime with a 46-26 lead. UAB was outstanding on the offensive end as the Blazers shot 57.1% from the field and 55.0% (11-20) from beyond the arc. Leading the way for the Blazers was Chris Cokley who had 21 points, 3 rebounds, and a steal. On the season, UAB is averaging 73.7 ppg on 46.5% shooting from the field. The Blazers are averaging 5.6 three-pointers per game on 33.6% shooting from beyond the arc. Offensively, UAB has been led by Chris Cokley (12.4 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 1.3 apg), Dirk Williams (11.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 1.2 apg), William Lee (11.3 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.2 apg, 2.9 bpg), and Hakeem Baxter (8.2 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.1 apg). Defensively, UAB is allowing their opponents to average 71.1 ppg on 41.7% shooting from the field. The Blazers have a rebound margin of 4.8 and a turnover margin of -2.5.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders lost their 2nd straight game and dropped to 10-3 on the season after being defeated by the Georgia State Panthers, 64-56, on December 21st. Middle Tennessee struggled on the offensive end throughout the game and couldn’t fight back after falling behind by a 33-25 margin at halftime. Middle Tennessee shot just 35.3% from the field and 26.9% (7-26) from beyond the arc in the loss. Leading the way for the Blue Raiders was Giddy Potts who had 19 points, 6 rebounds, 6 steals, and a block. On the season, Middle Tennessee is averaging 74.3 ppg on 48.3% shooting from the field. The Blue Raiders are averaging 6.3 three-pointers per game on 37.3% shooting from beyond the arc. Offensively, Middle Tennessee has been led by JaCorey Williams (18.0 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 1.9 apg), Giddy Potts (16.6 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.8 spg), Reggie Upshaw (13.9 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 3.4 apg, 1.5 spg), and Edward Simpson (5.4 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 2.7 apg). Defensively, Middle Tennessee is holding their opponents to average 65.5 ppg on 42.5% shooting from the field. The Blue Raiders have a rebound margin of 2.4 and a turnover margin of 4.3.

The Blazers are 5-16 ATS in their last 21 games following a straight up win however, are just 1-5 ATS in their last 6 road games. The Blue Raiders are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games overall and 7-3 ATS in their last 10 home games.

UAB hasn’t had the start to their season that they expected however, the Blazers have been above average on both sides of the ball as UAB has the 94th ranked FG% and 126th defensive FG%. Middle Tennessee came into this season with a lot of expectations after upsetting Michigan State in the NCCA Tournament last season and although they’ve lost their last 2 games, the Blue Raiders have been very good as they have the 67th ranked scoring defense and 40th ranked FG%. Middle Tennessee is a tough place to play however, UAB is an experienced club that should come into the Murphy Athletic Center with the expectations of coming out with a win. As long as UAB can limit their turnovers and don’t settle for three-pointers on the offensive end, UAB will be able to keep this one close and UAB and the points are the play.....

We are leaving in about an hour. I will probably get food at the arena. Hope the guys come ready to play today!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT