ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING MT lands 1st commit of '18 class

Good pickup. Kid reminds me a lot of Austin Grammer if I'm being honest. Not in love with his throwing motion, but he's accurate with the ball (64% completion rate last year) and can really move his legs. All in all, a solid 3-star player to start off the recruiting season!

Tony Franklin personally visited the kid last week and watched him throw. He offered him right after. If Tony Frank signs off on a kid, I think you all would be hard pressed not to like him!

Anywho, here's a quick write up for you guys to enjoy!

MT lands first commit of '18 class

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Also, it's SHIFLETT, not SHIFTLETT.

I've already butchered the poor kids name 10 times tonight. Let's all learn it now so we avoid another Grammer/Grammar situation :D:D:D

Dalton Daily Citizen:

Shiflett commits to Middle Tennessee

Shiflett said the school had several aspects that influenced his decision.

"They came to practice (Wednesday), then (offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Tony Franklin) called and offered me after practice," Shiflett said. "I talked to my family and coaches about it. We liked the town of Murfreesboro. Coach Franklin is great at spread offense, he's one of the fathers of it. That was a good part. It's near Nashville, it's a really good city. I'm comfortable with the offense they have. It's easy for friends and family to come watch. I thought it was a good choice."

Last season, Shiflett threw for 2,330 yards and 24 touchdowns with eight interceptions, leading the Bruins to a runner-up finish in Region 6-4A and a win in the first round of the state playoffs. He also rushed for 741 yards and nine touchdowns.

He is ranked the 32nd dual-threat quarterback recruit in the nation by 247sports.com.

Middle Tennessee State is a Division I FBS school that plays in Conference USA, one of the Group of Five conferences. Last season the Blue Raiders finished 8-5 averaging 39.6 points a game. They finished third in the conference's Eastern Division at 5-3 and played in the Hawaii Bowl where they lost to the host Hawaii Warriors.

Shiflett also had offers from Army, Charleston Southern, Columbia, Georgia Southern, Kennesaw State, Mercer and Troy, among others. His decision came down to Middle Tennessee and Kennesaw State, and that "MTSU was the best one for me."

"MTSU was actually the first camp I went to last summer, I went to it around Memorial Day," Shiflett said. "That was the first school I really looked at hard. I've been to a basketball camp there for high school and I just really love the campus. I just fell in love with it."

Murfreesboro is outside of Nashville on I-24, about a two-hour drive from Tunnel Hill. Shiflett said the location played a big role in his choice.

"In the state of Georgia you have Georgia Tech and Georgia, those are both Power 5 schools and really hard to get recruited to," Shiflett said. "Murfreesboro is probably only two hours away and they play really good football, the conference is really good. I just thought it was a good location."

Shiflett is not the only Whitfield County standout who plans to suit up for the Blue Raiders. Dalton High School wide receiver Zeke Cobb signed with the school and will begin as a freshman this fall.

"He's a really good receiver," Shiflett said of Cobb. "He's been our rival, but throwing to him is going to be really fun."

Shiflett said he's glad to have the decision made early so he can focus on the upcoming season.

"I've been really thankful for the offers I've had, but MTSU is one I really, really wanted," he said. "Already being committed I get to focus on my team more now and I think that will benefit us down the road." .....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT