ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee @ (RV) Missouri, SEC Network+, 6PM, Saturday, September 9, 2023

PlayerPOSInjuryStatus (Updated)Notes
Missouri
BaileyLBSuspensionElig Sept 16(08/28/2023)Bailey is serving a one-game suspension for an off-field incident. He is also recovering from an unspecified surgery, and he is eligible to return against Kansas State on September 16.
BloodWRUndisclosedQues Sat(09/08/2023)Blood is dealing with an undetermined ailment, and it remains to be seen if he will take the field Saturday against Middle Tennessee.
CarliesDBUndisclosedQues Sat(09/08/2023)Carlies is nursing an unreported issue, leaving his status for Saturday's battle with Middle Tennessee in question.
CoxRBUndisclosedQues Sat(09/04/2023)Cox missed the last contest with an unknown injury, and it is uncertain if he will dress for Saturday's clash versus Middle Tennessee.
HoustonWRUndisclosedQues Sat(09/04/2023)Houston was held out of the last contest with an unspecified injury, and it is up in the air if he will play versus Middle Tennessee on Saturday.
ThompsonDBLower Bodyout for season(08/22/2023)Thompson will sit out the entire 2023 season with a lower-body injury.

I think it's a bizarre situation all around.

When high level athletics comes into play, there's supposed to be a certain ingrained level of competitive-ness, drive, willpower, and pride to try and do your very best. It's sort of what you assume is part of the good faith bargain when you hire a coach.

It's almost unfathomable to think that doesn't exist in a person who's involved in sports. Yet, look at that mug.

So, I could totally see a scenario where the AD sets sort of a minimum expectation, with the idea that coach is going to still strive to do his utmost to exceed those minimums. They then got worked over by the agent and coach. In that case, the AD is just dumb, but incompetence is not the same thing as nefariousness.

But regardless of who's set the level of expectations, at the end of the day, Stockstill's the one with the control over whether or not we succeed as a football program. His intentional and continued minimum efforts to elevate the program is nothing short of fraud.
Re : Stock / MT FB.

Stock is totally dependent on the guys around him. He’s not a “scheme” guy so he’s not going to outscheme someone. He’s not an “energy” / sales guy so he’s not going to randomly call in sports radio just to chat, nor is he going to try to go to Rotary Club meetings just to meet people / talk MT FB.

His success (or lack of success) is dependent on the guys he hires. In 2009, he managed to have the best OC & best DC at the same time. Take away the OC / DC and things crash back down to earth. A few years later, he manages to re-hire the OC but the DC isn’t the greatest so a 10 win season is an 8 win season.

I don’t know if any of you have read up on the idea of leadership quotient (LQ). Basically, the LQ looks at the range of physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual / inspirational qualities that we have. Some coaches have a higher LQ (Saban, Smart). Some coaches don’t.

IMO, Stock’s leadership quotient (LQ) isn’t the same as Jeff Brohm, Hugh Freeze, Gus Malzahn, and other HC that he’s coached against so that’s why he’s struggled against coaches with a higher LQ.

Guys with a lower LQ lack the ability to push through the “glass ceilings” & stagnate (Stock) or implode (Butch Jones) under the pressure.

On top of that, Stock hasn’t shown a willingness to make the difficult choice to upgrade specific on-field / off-field coaches to address weaknesses.

The last time I watched a football game in Columbia, MO was 5 years ago. It was a 65-33 blowout of Memphis in Mike Norvell’s 3rd season as a college Head Coach.

Let’s hope this trip in Season 18 for Stock turns out better. Go Blue!

Last edited:
Re : Stock / MT FB.

Stock is totally dependent on the guys around him. He’s not a “scheme” guy so he’s not going to outscheme someone. He’s not an “energy” / sales guy so he’s not going to randomly call in sports radio just to chat, nor is he going to try to go to Rotary Club meetings just to meet people / talk MT FB.

His success (or lack of success) is dependent on the guys he hires. In 2009, he managed to have the best OC & best DC at the same time. Take away the OC / DC and things crash back down to earth. A few years later, he manages to re-hire the OC but the DC isn’t the greatest so a 10 win season is an 8 win season.

I don’t know if any of you have read up on the idea of leadership quotient (LQ). Basically, the LQ looks at the range of physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual / inspirational qualities that we have. Some coaches have a higher LQ (Saban, Smart). Some coaches don’t.

IMO, Stock’s leadership quotient (LQ) isn’t the same as Jeff Brohm, Hugh Freeze, Gus Malzahn, and other HC that he’s coached against so that’s why he’s struggled against coaches with a higher LQ.

Guys with a lower LQ lack the ability to push through the “glass ceilings” & stagnate (Stock) or implode (Butch Jones) under the pressure.

On top of that, Stock hasn’t shown a willingness to make the difficult choice to upgrade specific on-field / off-field coaches to address weaknesses.

You guys are on it.

M&M set a minimum standard in Stock’s contract as a result of Andy Max.

Stock’s a low LQ that hits hovers at the as expected results.

There is a hope to win championships, but no demand / expectations to win championships.

They have built in excuses for not achieving more (lack of fan support/facilities).

We have an odd combination of valuing continuity which has led to complacency. McPhee is a top 10 longest tenured president at an FBS school. Massaro is a top ten longest tenured AD at a FBS school and Stock is now the 4th longest tenured HC in FBS. We are outside the norm in all 3 positions in FBS….at the same school. We are completely outside the norm and have no championships to show for it.

At 99% of FBS schools, Stock is fired after 2011, 2019 or 2020. Here we have secret contract renewals for ridiculously low standards. M&M. Massaro’s value of continuity (his words) given low standards has created complacency.

I honestly would be embarrassed to be McPhee, Massaro or Stock. They either don’t care or lack self-awareness. Does it never occur to them that maybe they have been in the same job at the same school for too long?

anyone here going?

10+ years ago, it was fun to see you all at road games.

Used to be a sizable amount of board peeps that would go.

Another barometer of fan engagement

I have stopped going to away games. I swore off non-vandy road games after the beat down @wku years ago (2015). I made one exception, the N.O. Bowl in Brent's senior year. Never again, as long as Stock remains on the sideline, even if that means the rest of my life.

Too much aggravation and wasted time, plus unnecessary expenses on this nonsense. I remember one year I made all but one road game. Thousands of dollars spent on travel, tickets, tailgating supplies. I don't know if there are enough years left on earth for me to regain my enthusiasm, as it once existed, for football, but I know it won't as long as Stockstill is permitted to coach here.

MT RB TFL down to 12 yd line

2nd down MT goes to 17 yd line

3rd and ten and incomplete pass

MT has to punt from deep

another mizzou penalty

Mizzou back to the 11

Cook sacked!!!

Down at 21

FG attempt

FG is good from 39 yds

5:21

Mizzou 3
MT 0

Good stand, just turned the game on when I got home. I know Missouri has a really stout defense. Have we moved the ball any?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT