ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (4-5) vs Missouri State (6-2), 6:30PM, Tuesday, December 5, 2023

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
athletics.jpg

MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY
Enrollment: 24,224
Arena: Great Southern Bank Arena (11,000)
Conference: Missouri Valley
Colors: Maroon & White Nickname: Bears
Head Coach: Dana Ford Record at School: 89-66 (6th Season) Career: 146-131 (10th Season)
2022-23 Record: 17-15, 12-8 2022-23 Finish: 6th MVC Postseason: MVC Quarterfinals
Starters R/L: 3/2 Letterwinners R/L: 6/4
Roster: Bears
Series: MSU leads 2-1 Last Meeting: MSU 75, MT 51 (11/19/22)

ESPN+ (Jake Rose, Daron Park)
Radio: Classic Hits 93.3 - 95.1 - WGNS 101.9 FM/1450 AM/100.5FM

Last edited:
from a preview of the MSU Bears:

THE OUTLOOK

Missouri State has the look of a conference contender this season. The Bears are old and bring a ton back from a year in which everything about the roster was brand new. The returning players are hungry, and Ford has the track record as proven by his 37-19 conference record over the past three seasons.

Ford is confident in his rotation now, and that means fans should see a more consistent product on the floor. Last season, Ford played so many guys simply due to the fact he was trying to figure out rotations and give his talented newcomers equal opportunities to prove their worth. Guys that should have played more didn’t, and some who should’ve sat more got extra burn. That all changes in 2023-24.

Said Ford, “Being a cohesive team is more important than being a deep team.” Missouri State is a deep team this season. But, more importantly, it’s a cohesive team.

I'm honestly already checked out. I have not watched a game since the UAB fiasco and have no plans to do so. The team is not only bad, they are extremely boring and predictable and thus painful to watch.

It is also infuriating to me to see these pathetic performances in OOC play. I personally enjoy and value OOC even more than conference play because it is the OOC schedule that gives your conference schedule it's worth and value.

If CUSA (including MT) just gets shit all over in OOC play....then who cares who wins the CUSA pillow fight ? I don't see much joy in winning a league if it's one of the worst leagues in the nation, do you ???...That's why the OOC schedule is so important.....And here we are losing by 30 to UIC, 12 to Ohio, at home to Wofford, at home to UAB, at home against the mighty Western Carolina, barely scrapping by UMKC a bottom tier program.....We havn't played a single P5 team and won't all year and we can't even stay above .500......And this is a team that was picked first in our league and Year 5 of a coach that was supposed to be good....

What is Massaro waiting for ? We have seen enough.

Last edited:
I'm honestly already checked out. I have not watched a game since the UAB fiasco and have no plans to do so. The team is not only bad, they are extremely boring and predictable and thus painful to watch.

It is also infuriating to me to see these pathetic performances in OOC play. I personally enjoy and value OOC even more than conference play because it is the OOC schedule that gives your conference schedule it's worth and value.

If CUSA (including MT) just gets shit all over in OOC play....then who cares who wins the CUSA pillow fight ? I don't see much joy in winning a league if it's one of the worst leagues in the nation, do you ???...That's why the OOC schedule is so important.....And here we are losing by 30 to UIC, 12 to Ohio, at home to Wofford, at home to UAB, at home against the mighty Western Carolina, barely scrapping by UMKC a bottom tier program.....We havn't played a single P5 team and won't all year and we can't even stay above .500......And this is a team that was picked first in our league and Year 5 of a coach that was supposed to be good....

What is Massaro waiting for ? We have seen enough.
Actually this is year 6, but everything else 👍

#PlayerPos.ListedYearMPGPPGRPGAPGSPGBPGFG%3PT%
15Matthew LeeG6-0Sr.19.05.02.54.00.50.530.820.0
1Alston MasonG6-2Jr.27.09.92.32.80.60.039.130.5
0Chance MooreG6-6Jr.21.810.63.90.50.80.543.034.2
5Donovan ClayG/F6-8Sr.32.011.95.53.60.71.046.830.0
4Cesare Edwards*F6-9Jr.7.82.21.90.20.00.256.40.0
10Damien Mayo Jr.G6-3So.20.64.52.71.00.50.543.620.0
33Dawson CarperF6-11Sr.13.94.62.70.30.10.656.5
21Nick KramerG6-3R-Fr.
35N.J. BensonF6-8So.9.42.82.50.20.10.453.4
3Tyler BeyF6-8Fr.
2Davion HillG6-2Fr.
11Raphe AyresG6-5Jr.8.51.40.80.10.30.038.533.3

Team has not shown us any reason to feel good about tonight's game. Missouri State will have more fans watching on ESPN+ than will be in the stands.

Reactions: ewglenn
I was excited about BB this year. Wanted to make it down from Nashville for games and just have no desire now after watching on ESPN+. Time to get McD fired. I’m sure in about 8 years it will be done.

KenPom rates Missouri State (114th in the country) as the second best opponent MT has faced thus far (SFA is first at 105). Middle is coming off a bad loss to Wofford (246), the second worst D1 team they have faced thus far (UMKC is worst; 281). Coming off the SFA win MTSU was ranked 117th, but a few weeks later they have free fallen to 229th. What's particularly scary is this has all happened at home or neutral sites, because we know how bad their play has dropped off on the road the last few years. That's right, there is reason to think this might get worse...

The Bears were picked to finish 6th in the MVC poll and 4th on The Almanac. Coached by Dana Ford, formerly of Tennessee State. Simplifying their statistical tendencies, they shoot pretty good and they are forcing their opponents to shoot very bad. However, they turn it over quite a bit and don't really force many opponent turnovers.

The Blue Raiders offense is absolutely abysmal, ranking in the bottom-75 in almost all offensive categories. Out of 362 teams, they are 345th in shooting the 3. Missouri State is 19th overall in defending the 3. So my advice to the Blue Raider men tonight is to.... wait for it... not shoot 3s.

I was astonished to see Middle Tennessee rank 358th in tempo on the season. Thats fifth to last. For reference, last year's 195th tempo ranking was the lowest any McDevitt team has ever finished during his tenure in Murfreesboro. That has to change, and tonight would be a great time for it to start given Missouri State's prowess in defending the half-court.

Force turnovers. Get fast break points. That is the recipe to win. This would be a major victory for MT all things considered. Could go a long way in changing the trajectory of the season. I am not optimistic, but I am always hopeful.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
only reason its basically a pick is because of our crazy @ home record the last few years

Mo St. is the better team and definitely the play here. MT only wins with an outlier shooting night.

Raiders doing well up 6 with 3 to go. However MO State hasn’t been called for a foul the ENTIRE SECOND HALF which is ridiculous but might be an issue for them if they need to foul and make us shoot FTs

Can't say I've seen this too many times, we have to inbound the ball multiple times to get fouled and rinse/repeat. Normally there aren't that many fouls to give

Team Comparison
STATISTICMSUMT
FG%41%39%
FGs24-5928-72
3FG%31%33%
3FGs8-2612-36
FT%89%53%
FTs17-199-17
TOs136
PtsOffTO99
TotReb4440
DefReb3628
Off Reb812
2ndChPts611
BenchPts516
PtsPaint3226
FstBkPt117
Blocks26
Steals27
Assts713
Times Tied:2
Lead Chg:7
LeadTime6:3536:48

Unfortunately free throws have cost us at least two home games. But this was a pretty good win.

Reactions: Hop45
Really looked forward to start of the season. Absolutely love watching a well schooled & talented college basketball team, but I've pretty much stopped watching these guys.

Slightly off topic:
Saw Texas A/M is setting #21 in the top 25
Made me think about how is Eli fitting in there.
After 9 games,
Eli Lawarence: 3 points per game, 32% from field.
Hope you're enjoying Texas buddy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT