ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (3-12, 0-2) vs. Southern Miss (8-7, 0-3), 7PM, Thursday, January 10, 2019

I would contend that there were several positives last night other than the fact that Sims had a career night.

We had a small run in the 2nd half and actually outscored a team in the 2nd half.
Unforced turnovers were way down, I don't remember over two passes to the point from the wing being intercepted.
Massenburg got a few minutes without totally screwing up and looked, well, he looked like a player who perhaps can on occasion fill in inside in brief stretches.

Had we played as well on the recent home stand as last night we quite possibly could have sneaked out a victory, but dadgummit; We are limited. Worst problem IMHO is that two of our outside players, who must play, can't shoot a lick. Opposing teams don't have to defend them past 10 ft. We can be really helped if Butler, once he is cleared to play, can score.

Reactions: crposton
Only 12 turnovers... Sims had none. Gotta have more guys play well at the same time.

One thing I will say about Massenburg is he is pretty good on the defensive end and a pretty good shot blocker.

Reactions: C-Bow
One thing I will say about Massenburg is he is pretty good on the defensive end and a pretty good shot blocker.

Not sure what he is...He hustles but Its like playing BB is a foreign concept to him, he never looks comfortable out there. I hope he improved enough to fill 8-10 mins a game - if not, he need to play somewhere else next year. I realize he is only a F, we need him to develop.

Just watching Massenburg run up the floor and move on O or D makes me wonder how some thought he was a 3 star prospect coming out of high school. That said, often "bigs" who are not that athletic are able to make important contributions to a team.

About Massenburg possibly playing somewhere else as a Soph. Depending on what the two red-shirts are showing (reports are promising) and how the three signees are progressing we could need some scholarship room.
Additionally, I wonder long term about Farquhar and Johnson (Possibly Crump also, we haven't seen enough of him to make any judgement). Perhaps both of them could use a year at a JUCO. Guards who have absolutely no range are a huge liability at the D-1 level. I realize that McDevitt had to take players who were left when he got this class but if there is no improvement . . .

Reactions: SpaceRaider
In my opinion all 3 guards under normal conditions would be redshirt candidates. Farquhar and Johnson are both very athletics but can’t shoot at all. In fact as a whole we aren’t very good shooters but this road trip was better from the field.

Just watching Massenburg run up the floor and move on O or D makes me wonder how some thought he was a 3 star prospect coming out of high school. That said, often "bigs" who are not that athletic are able to make important contributions to a team.

About Massenburg possibly playing somewhere else as a Soph. Depending on what the two red-shirts are showing (reports are promising) and how the three signees are progressing we could need some scholarship room.
Additionally, I wonder long term about Farquhar and Johnson (Possibly Crump also, we haven't seen enough of him to make any judgement). Perhaps both of them could use a year at a JUCO. Guards who have absolutely no range are a huge liability at the D-1 level. I realize that McDevitt had to take players who were left when he got this class but if there is no improvement . . .

I have the same concern about our roster. It sucks that we had to take whoever was left last year just to fill out the roster. We now have these player taking up roster spots that should be at a lower level. In my opinion Farquhar, Crump, Johnson, Massenburg, and maybe even Butler should not be on our team in a normal situation. None of these players can shoot at all and that's not something that you ever get better at. They might improve slightly but you can either shoot or you can't for the most part. Have you seen some of the freshman around CUSA? The kid at Marshall, Bassey at Western, that 6-8 kid for La Tech, and many others that come in and play really well right of way. In my opinion we can't afford to have these players taking up roster spots for three more years. McDevitt is going to have to figure something out.

Do you really believe you can't get better at shooting? Shooting is one thing that can be taught. I suppose you think throwing a football is also something that cannot be taught. You can either throw or you can't. I am not saying you can teach someone to throw the ball 80 yards because that is a natural ability, but you can change things to make them more accurate. Same with shooting. Some shooters are going to be naturally better than others, but all shooters can improve their shot. Why would so many coaches and players spend time practicing shooting if you cannot improve your ability to shoot? Would seem to be a waste of time. It is much more difficult to make someone taller or more athletic than it is to make them better shooters.

Do you really believe you can't get better at shooting? Shooting is one thing that can be taught. I suppose you think throwing a football is also something that cannot be taught. You can either throw or you can't. I am not saying you can teach someone to throw the ball 80 yards because that is a natural ability, but you can change things to make them more accurate. Same with shooting. Some shooters are going to be naturally better than others, but all shooters can improve their shot. Why would so many coaches and players spend time practicing shooting if you cannot improve your ability to shoot? Would seem to be a waste of time. It is much more difficult to make someone taller or more athletic than it is to make them better shooters.

Why are you arguing with me? Re read my post. You're basically saying the same thing as I am. Yes, you can marginally improve in shooting, but like I said you can't drastically improve shooting. By the time you get to college you can either shoot the ball or you cant. Coaches work with them to improve but there can only be marginal improvement. If shooting could be drastically improved by coaching as you say. Than every player in the NBA would be excellent shooters because of all the coaches, training, and money they have to spend on it, but their not. Like I said, you can't just make anyone a shooter.

Why are you arguing with me? Re read my post. You're basically saying the same thing as I am. Yes, you can marginally improve in shooting, but like I said you can't drastically improve shooting. By the time you get to college you can either shoot the ball or you cant. Coaches work with them to improve but there can only be marginal improvement. If shooting could be drastically improved by coaching as you say. Than every player in the NBA would be excellent shooters because of all the coaches, training, and money they have to spend on it, but their not. Like I said, you can't just make anyone a shooter.
Well I guess what I was saying is these guys do not need to be the next Giddy. Johnson just needs to be good enough for the defense to respect his outside shot to allow him opprtunities to drive. Junior the same thing to drive and dish or in some cases score. We need better shooters, but these guys do not need to be. I was not trying to argue, just give a different perspective.

Farquhar has the potential to develop into an all conference player. He was an extremely highly recruited player with several impressive offers who only ended up in our lap because of serious grade issues and an injury history. If McDevitt cannot develop Farquhar into an all conference player, it is an absolute indictment on his ability (or lack of) to develop talent. I think Farquhar will be a great player here at MT.

I still think McDevitt' going to develop some talent and have success here. It will 100% be based of off recruiting though (Captain obvious here). McDevitt's style of play, IMO, just doesn't work well with average players. Davis could take an average player and make them good, and then put 4 good players on the floor + a superstar transfer and we could go to work. McDevitt is going to need a lot of talent to succeed in this league IMO. Much more than Davis ever brought in.

So it'll all come down to recruiting talent. If he can consistently recruit 3 star talent here and maybe grab a 4 star here and there, I think we'll be OK. If we keep signing transfers from Eastern Kentucky & Missouri State, we will continue to have single digit winning seasons.

Serious question and I am not arguing or anything, but how are transfers from Missouri State and Eastern Kentucky different than UT - Rio Grand Vally or wherever Green was from? No one seems to have a problem with that transfer because he is a good player. Scurry is not a great player, but he is solid for an undersized forward. We are hearing good things about Dishman also. I don't think where they came from should matter as much as are they good players. At this point getting a couple of guys that averaged around 10 points per game at the D1 level was a positive. I don't think that is what McDevitt wants to make a habit of, but I have no issues with him doing it in this situation. I do agree we will have to bring in better talent, but getting those transfers will help in the next couple years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT