ADVERTISEMENT

false alarm?

Space: I do see that Perry has been added to those players with MT offers on verbalcommits.com. Now up to 21 offers for the zero scholarships we have to give (based on current info) for next year. I do so wish I could understand MT men's BkB recruiting philosophy under Davis.

I have seen the site (verbalcommits.com) remove players from our offers list as soon as they sign or commit to another school so I know they do try to keep up. But I do wonder just how accurate their offers list is. Do you have any opinion on this?

Also, just what kind of contingencies do you think are attached to some of these offers. Just can't believe they are all of the first come, first accepted variety.

According to verbal commits, we received a commit from Quavius Copeland, a JUCO PG today.

One thing you always have to remember about reported offers is that they come exclusively from the players. Coaches are not allowed to comment. So it's hard to tell who really has an offer and who is just saying they have one. Players can do that to try and up there stock. I have seen plenty of kids listed as having offers that never sniff D1 ball. I don't think they all had their offers pulled. I think a lot of them never had one. I remember a story a couple of years back about a kid doing the presser hat dance and everything committing to Cal. One problem. Cal nor anybody else had ever recruited him. Take those lists with a grain of salt. Unless it's Casey of course...

And unless I'm wrong, and I do try to keep up, verbalcommits did not have Copeland with an MT offer until he committed.

Certainly not as an impressive a list of offers for Copeland as some of the other point guards we are (were ?) allegedly "in on". No disrespect to our friends in Lafayette but if an offer from the Cajuns is the only other offer I don't think we are reaching high enough to seriously improve our talent.

Verbalcommits has Perry with an offer and Copeland as having committed as of 8:00 pm. Guess they're just a little behind.

Not too excited about either but of the two I would prefer Perry - more size and a high schooler. Guess it'll all start becoming more clear by Wed.

I got this email earlier from the guys over at JucoJunction. Just a quick hitter writeup on Copeland:

"The plan was to leave after just one season of junior college basketball.

Gulf Coast State College point guard Quavius Copeland will play at Middle
Tennessee State University next season.

Copeland, a Greenville, SC native, will have three years to play for the Blue
Raiders.

Copeland averaged 10.4 ppg, 2.2 rebounds and 3.9 assists this season
for the Commodores.

The Commodores finished the season at 19-10 and gave eventual NJCAA National Champion Northwest Florida State College both of their losses this season.

Gulf Coast State College is located in Panama City, FL."

So the belief is that both Perry and Copeland have committed? And a short time ago (before Richmond's dismissal and the more urgent nature of Ivory's concussion problem) the only needs anyone including Davis had mentioned was to get more "bigs" and now we've got two commits from perimeter players. And let's not forget the "light coming on" for Jones late in the season which somewhat negated the need for more guards for next year.

Gotta say this, based on what those of us "outside" the program see, MT men's BkB is very confusing.

Not confusing to me as I just leave it to the staff to know what they need. Before this past season we all thought we had way too many guards and by the end of the year we had barely enough. Would love a big man or two but those guys at our level are typically either projects or players with a past.

I'm sure the staff knows what is on their wish list, what the priorities are, and which players they are "in on" they most fervently covet. But it's gotta be a constant: Do we take this 2 star player who is willing to commit? Or do we wait on this 2.5 star that we are still actively recruiting, hasn't told us no, but has a couple of "power" offers? Do we take a 2 star JUCO or take a high schooler which we project has a great chance to be a much better player by his soph. year? How do our prospects in the next class affect who we try to sign this year? etc., etc., etc. . . .

I'm also sure how the staff has contingency plans on how to handle being "oversigned" depending on which players have been recruited over.

They know all of this and we don't, and with the few fans on message boards which MT has there is little to no speculation and discussion on recruiting. At times like this (recruiting periods) I wish I was a fan of an elite program where more info is available and there are many more comments from fans on message boards.

There are just under 1500 people registered to this site. I Can't make em post, but feel free to tell your friends!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

This post was edited on 4/14 6:42 PM by cbow0328

I like the video I've seen of Perry. He looks like an athletic and physical player with good instincts. Copeland is listed at 6 feet, 175 pounds. Not as big as Massey was but hopefully he can be a good playmaker for us. I was feeling really good about our future at PG with Ivory but with his continuing struggles with health issues I fear that he will not get to realize his full potential. I would love to hear an offseason update on him.

While having all the inside scoop on recruiting would be nice, I see it as one of those things we really shouldn't know all the details. If we, as fans, know it then so does our competition. If we are in on a kid flying under the radar and it is announced on a message board, then a power school might swwop in and take them away. I understand the frustrations, but on the flip side, it's probably better that we NOT know all the info.

Article up now on DNJ on the signing of both Copeland and Perry. Verbalcommits.com also just moved Copeland from verbal to signed and Perry from having an offer to signed.

Surprising, or not, it that Duran has apparently not signed even though he committed much earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT