Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
SATURDAY 11.9.19

WKU @ Arkansas 11 a.m. Fayetteville, AR Live Video Live Audio TV: SEC Network

UTSA @ Old Dominion 1 p.m. Norfolk, VA Live Video TV: ESPN3

Charlotte @ UTEP 2 p.m. El Paso, TX Live Video TV: ESPN+

UAB @ Southern Miss 2:30 p.m. Hattiesburg, MS Live Video Live Audio TV: NFL Network

North Texas @ Louisiana Tech 3 p.m. Ruston, LA Live Video Live Audio TV: Stadium Facebook

FIU @ Florida Atlantic 5 p.m. Boca Raton, FL Live Video TV: Stadium

This game is personal for Helton and they are destroying ARKY. Chad morris pretty much just got fired.

Arky will go after Norvell. That would be my no. 1 option. Same recruiting area an all. Norvell would have instant success there.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
This is personal for Storey too. Arky was his former team. He has to be loving this. Just went to the 4th quarter.

Good Job WKU, my have they turned it around from their loss early this year.

Meanwhile, off topic...I am watching Minn vs Penn St. - Just curious about PJ Fleck...he has a starting OT that is 400 lbs...it just isn't fair.

Their sites tend to think Mike Leach, Matt Rhule or PJ Fleck.

Fleck ain't goin nowhere.

Rhule and Leach are mistakes. Leach is a nutjob. Norvell is in their recruiting backyard with high school connections all over the place. It would literally be plug and play for them. Anyone else is a huge mistake in my opinion. ABC just had a primetime game in Memphis where they took out an undefeated team for pete sakes. Memphis would beat Arky by 70 points right now. What more do they need to see? That dude has been winning since he's been there.

Fleck is a boat rowing SOB. :) Minny is gonna lock him up. He's winning and that environment is off the chain now. Why would he walk right after getting Minny's program where he wants it? Minny was already in his recruiting zone that he built at WMU. It was more plug and play. He's a Big10 yankee. He would be a fish out of water in hog land. Minny is gonna drop a boatload of cash on his porch now. He's gonna stay put.

Reactions: Blueraider_Mike
Norvell is a good coach but not sure he would win at Arky. Whole different level in the SEC than where is is now. As Lou Holtz says you have to be able to recruit well in Texas and Oklahoma to be successful at Arky.

Fleck is a boat rowing SOB. :) Minny is gonna lock him up. He's winning and that environment is off the chain now. Why would he walk right after getting Minny's program where he wants it? Minny was already in his recruiting zone that he built at WMU. It was more plug and play. He's a Big10 yankee. He would be a fish out of water in hog land. Minny is gonna drop a boatload of cash on his porch now. He's gonna stay put.

I think Fleck stays at UM; I think he got a contract extension this week. However Arkansas did get Brett Bielema from Wisconsin after 3 straight Rose Bowls and Fleck’s annual salary is only 3.6/yr even after the extension. I could see Arky offering 5 per year.

If Norvell recruits Memphis alone, he could have major success at Arkansas. Right now, he owns the Memphis area.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I think Fleck stays at UM; I think he got a contract extension this week. However Arkansas did get Brett Bielema from Wisconsin after 3 straight Rose Bowls and Fleck’s annual salary is only 3.6/yr even after the extension. I could see Arky offering 5 per year.

Fleck just signed an extension this week. It’s 4.6 a year first year. Incentives out the wazoo, raises for his assistants, plus bonuses on top of that for division/conference champs, bowl wins, etc and they just beat the #4 team in the country. He ain’t going nowhere. He’s a Midwest guy.

Fleck just signed an extension this week. It’s 4.6 a year first year. Incentives out the wazoo, raises for his assistants, plus bonuses on top of that for division/conference champs, bowl wins, etc and they just beat the #4 team in the country. He ain’t going nowhere. He’s a Midwest guy.

I didn’t say he was. Just that Arkansas folks had mentioned him & they have gotten coaches from P5 schools that had been to the Rose Bowl for 3 straight years. I doubt many thought Arkansas could get Bielema when he went there.

The main point I was making is that Arkansas can throw around crazy money and will go after a P5 coach(s) prior to going to Norvell. They may end up with Norvell, but it won’t stop them trying.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
If Norvell recruits Memphis alone, he could have major success at Arkansas. Right now, he owns the Memphis area.
There is not enough talent in Memphis to field a championship team. What is there will go to Alabama, Tennessee. Big drop off after that. You can't win on Memphis talent alone.

There is not enough talent in Memphis to field a championship team. What is there will go to Alabama, Tennessee. Big drop off after that. You can't win on Memphis talent alone.

Trust me, Norvell would win way more games in Arkansas than anyone theyve had there since Easy Rider Petrino.

Trust me, Norvell would win way more games in Arkansas than anyone theyve had there since Easy Rider Petrino.

I've wondered if the present structure of college football makes it harder for P5 programs that have fallen on hard times to get back to where they were. I am getting that impression. utk, arkansas, and others seem to cycle through coaches with no improvement. It's like the old commercial, 'I've fallen and can't get up.'

Reactions: Blue_H and MT Glenn
He's good enough to win. Would not take much to win more than Petrino. Norvell is waiting on the big opportunity.
Your statement was if he recruited Memphis alone he could win. That is simply not true.
They have been good in the past in basketball however in their glory years it was with talent outside of Memphis. Tons of talent but most can't add 2 plus 2.

I've wondered if the present structure of college football makes it harder for P5 programs that have fallen on hard times to get back to where they were. I am getting that impression. utk, arkansas, and others seem to cycle through coaches with no improvement. It's like the old commercial, 'I've fallen and can't get up.'
You are spot on. The lower tier P5 is really no better than the upper G5. They get about 20 mil more per year but cannot produce a team that is consisently better than the top 10 G5s.

He's good enough to win. Would not take much to win more than Petrino. Norvell is waiting on the big opportunity.
Your statement was if he recruited Memphis alone he could win. That is simply not true.
They have been good in the past in basketball however in their glory years it was with talent outside of Memphis. Tons of talent but most can't add 2 plus 2.

My point is that an influx of memphis talent would be an upgrade over what Morris has there now. Memphis has been top 25 ranked and such. Naturally Norvell would recruit all over and he would get talent to come there. His biggest strength is that he adjusts his gameplan to what talent he has around him. The best coaches do this every year. This is why he is my no. 1. He already recruits against Arky now. He's right up in their pipeline. It probably makes too much sense for them to do it.

I've wondered if the present structure of college football makes it harder for P5 programs that have fallen on hard times to get back to where they were.
I think it's just a matter of finding a coach who can build a winner - bammer struggled until they brought in Saban, and vanderbutt sucked, like they always have, until they hired Franklin, etc.

Back to the G5. We need an actual QB coach. If Franklin left, I wouldn't mind him being the OC. He did fine at SMU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT