ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (2-5, 1-2) @ Liberty (6-0, 4-0) (CBSSN), 6PM, Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Remember that 14 point swing that should have been a fumble taken for a TD? And instead they kept the ball with Liberty? Looms large now that we are going to lose by 7....

And why are we throwing a 3 yard route into triple coverage when it's 4th and 9?

This is an infuriating team to watch. They show signs of being good and potentially really good at times....but then the situational football and decision making when it really matters is as bad as it gets.

I do not understand the 4th down play at all.

Why do you not use a TO to make sure you have your best call?

Why throw short of the sticks in traffic?

Why is that the read/route combination in that situation unless Nick just made the wrong read?

The decisions after the last first down make no sense at all.

Reactions: elamlee
They show signs of being good and potentially really good at times....but then the situational football and decision making when it really matters is as bad as it gets.

Spot on.

Team put it together for large parts of the game, but had absolute mental meltdowns you just can’t make.

Reactions: ewglenn
Meanwhile JSU has held WKU to 17pts with 5min left. Gamecocks down by 7.

EDIT...JSU just scored.

Remember that 14 point swing that should have been a fumble taken for a TD? And instead they kept the ball with Liberty? Looms large now that we are going to lose by 7....

And why are we throwing a 3 yard route into triple coverage when it's 4th and 9?

This is an infuriating team to watch. They show signs of being good and potentially really good at times....but then the situational football and decision making when it really matters is as bad as it gets.
it's an undiscplined squad - stupid penalties at inopportune times also have hurt us

Reactions: ewglenn
I do not understand the 4th down play at all.

Why do you not use a TO to make sure you have your best call?

Why throw short of the sticks in traffic?

Why is that the read/route combination in that situation unless Nick just made the wrong read?

The decisions after the last first down make no sense at all.
Have you met our coaching staff?

Worse was having a player extend a drive for Liberty that ended up being the game winning TD the very next play by getting an unsportsmanlike after one of our own players knocked down another one of our guys. Whether it’s 12 man on the field or that, Stockstill teams always lose focus and discipline at exactly the worst possible time.

100000% chance Stock says we competed, played well, just made some mistakes at the end that caught us.

Some of those mistakes were bad calls by you and your staff Rick. Not all, but some. This isn't all on the players. Refs were crappy too but I've said before, one play shouldn't make a W or L.

It is sickening listening to Stockstill's post game presser. He is such a loser with a loser's mentality.

And I'm just so sick of Chip kissing his ass and serving up softball questions/statements to him. You would have thought we just played Tom Brady and the Patriots in a close game in the super bowl the way these guys are talking.

This was a conference opponent that we should be able to beat and we were playing for our season at this point. We lost and we looked pathetic when the chips were on the table and we needed to go out and win the game. This piss poor dog shit coach is too afraid (or disillusioned) to come out and say as much. We got absolutely DUMPSTERED in the 4th quarter when the game was on the line.

Bad teams find ways to lose games. Good teams find ways to win them.

Last edited:
WKU loses to JSU on a walk off field goal.

So we are sitting at 2-6 with an 18yr coach in our 25th season in FBS while Jax St is at 6-2 with a 2yr coach in their 1st FBS season.

Reactions: elamlee
and down goes WKU

If MT had actually won tonight, they would have had a real chance to make the championship game if winning out. Jax St. is not eligible for championship game so you take them out of the equation. Liberty and WKU would have had 1 loss each with MT at 2 losses. If either of them lost again then tie-breakers come into play and we may could have got in.

But let's be real here. This is a 2-6 team trending downwards. Just put us all out of our misery at this point. I hate this program so much right now

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
and down goes WKU

If MT had actually won tonight, they would have had a real chance to make the championship game if winning out

But let's be real here. This is a 2-6 team trending downwards. Just put us all out of our misery at this point.
That's what is crazy. Now that JSU won, if we had beaten Liberty, and they beat WKU next week, we would have controlled our own destiny. Win out and we'd be in. At 7-5 no less.

Null and void now. I mean Bahamas was the goal all along, right?

Edit...now that I think about it, would WKU have to lose again? IDK....doesn't matter now anyway.

Give me his number or somewhere I can contact him and I’ll ask. I would love to have a chat with Murphy.
If they had any balls they’d have you on their Go5 guys podcast. But they won’t, because echo chambers and such

Edited because I think that’s kind of a good idea for these sports podcasts. A fan/alumni’s perspective vs hosts debate. I’d listen to that even if it’s not MT related

Last edited:
If they had any balls they’d have you on their Go5 guys podcast. But they won’t, because echo chambers and such

Edited because I think that’s kind of a good idea for these sports podcasts. A fan/alumni’s perspective vs hosts debate. I’d listen to that even if it’s not MT related
I'd 100% listen to that!

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
This is MTs Super Bowl. There are no meaningful games left after this one, at least for the players. I know the coaches will try and move heaven and earth to win out for 6 wins….but for the players….tonight is the night.
Their Bahamas Bowl

They had so many legit chances to actually win this game. I think they will win the nrxt 4 games to get B.E. Stock is gonna be hungry for that auto extension.

That's what makes this soooooo frustrating. We should've won several games this year and didn't. Stupid penalties. And that is 100% on the coaches for holding players accountable. Instilling emotional discipline.
The 2nd half play calling, especially 4th qtr I'd awful. Like we've said for years, the whole playing not to lose mentality instead of playing to win.

And there is zero accountability from the admin. No pressure on Stock to do better or make changes. It's just absolutely ludicrous the way the whole thing is run. Mind blowing.

We have some really good players. They just deserve a better staff than what we have. And I'd much prefer they stay snd the staff go.

Reactions: MTTim and Hop45
Bad teams find ways to lose games. Good teams find ways to win them.

I was going to say something very similar to this. At the end of the day this is what it boils down to. This is why Rick almost never beat teams with winning records.

I bet I heard the announcers say about three times - "that's first week of camp stuff" - on several of the huge mistakes that were made. Also, you should never give up 400 yards rushing. EVER. That's not just coaching. That really showed the failure in recruiting and disparity in talent. And these are all new FBS teams. Liberty. Jax St. Etc. dominating us in the trenches.

The data points are there. It's been there for a while. We have statistically significant data to tell us what we have in Rick and what we have in this program. It's not going to change. He's going to continue making his million to lose to the top two or three teams in the league and beating the bottom few teams in the league. Plodding along. Never achieving. Just existing. That's MT football. It just exists. So, there's no point harping on it. The administration allows it. They aren't going to do a damn thing about it. Even all of our competitors know it. The fans of our competitors know it. They see MT as a joke that is committed to nothing but mediocrity. They see it. They get it. Even the newbies to this league get it. That's amazing. The only people who don't get it or don't care are the ones in charge of the school, the athletics, and the football team.

We had so many chances to get back into and win this game, but just kept shooting our selves in the foot. Penalties, poor play calling, dropped passes, etc.

I was surprised with the very inconsistent play from our receivers last night. Some good catches, but then some you just have to make and they can’t. At times they looked like bad high school receivers. Also Nick was hit and miss. Big day in terms of stats, but he had several throws that were just crap.

Sadly it's pretty obvious our administration is ok with an empty & barren stadium
Pretty sure this stood out to everyone watching. It sure did for me
What an atmosphere. Midweek game, full stadium, national TV. We couldn’t get 1000 fans to a midweek game And the admin seems to be OK with that
Took a look at the Liberty website. It is awesome. Well put together and ties right in with what we all saw last night. Tailgate info, midweek ticket packages, etc. Compared to ours is telling to how bush league we really are and how far behind the 8 ball this program is.
Liberty lost a lot of players to the portal, but appears Chadwells staff was able to reload with talent and size. Their QB was a UT signee, who was on campus for a short time, got into some trouble, and wound up at Liberty
thats the type players they are getting. I counted 10 players on their roster from the state of Tennessee.
You are right, SAD. And McFailure, Massaro, and Smith are OK with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT