ADVERTISEMENT

Something has got to change

Rick needs to save face and retire. He is losing so much integrity by staying in the game.

I was hoping we would pull a win against western. I live closer to WKU than the boro but no way in hell I was going to sit in that.

Still waiting for the press conference from cope or the murph to clean house.

Not gonna happen. At best, Stock fires a couple dudes. We are stuck until he leaves on his own. Massaro thinks everything is great since he makes 6 figures and such. Nothing is gonna go down. TF needs to leave. His offense is unimaginative and predictible. Our S&C coach needs to be put on notice. 29 injuries is a sign that bad training is happening. Silvory, Mallory and the other Ol coach needs to be gone.

Over the past 14 years the team has had injury's, new coaches and new players but the on-field play and year-end records have changed little - typically 5 to 8 wins.

I doubt MT will see more than 8 wins until Stuckstill leaves

Something in the water (culture) causing MT to regress both academically and athletically.

We continually fail to meet expectations (see this year's CC team), have defections or a rash of injuries (or a combination - see this year's LR BkB), have entire squads decimated by transfers (see Men's golf), have long periods of mediocrity in major sports (20 +/- in men's BkB, MT FB under Stock), fail to make inroads into mid-state recruiting (see Belmont BKB with major contributors from Fayvetteville and Thompson's Station), and when we get the rare big donation to improve facilities it does nothing to impact the success of the targeted sport (see baseball). And let's not forget the drawings for a facility upgrade but no fund drive or timeline announced. Waiting for the entire amount to be raised; Please!!!

And it not just athletics: We have a huge Centennial Fund drive but donors have no idea how much was raised, where it went, or why the endowment didn't go up substantially. We like to promote concrete management and the new fermentation degree (do they improve the academic reputation?) but can't get a donated law school approved which displays our obvious lack of political influence.

We have discussed ad nauseam what's holding back MT. And yes, there are many factors but the onus is in Cope and Murphy Ctr.

We have a president who (probably because of his background) seems to care more about MT's international reputation rather than how we are thought of in the hamlets of Middle Tennessee or the halls of the state legislature (really doesn't want to rock the boat after keeping his job after the "incident" by being the only BOR minority president at the time). As for McPhee's support of athletics: He and his "church lady" wife (see the cartoon Curtis) like photo ops and hobnobbing with what few fans we have but he doesn't have any idea how to grow the program (Where's a Dr. Walker when we need him?).

And as for growing the athletic program did anyone think Massaro would be successful after his attempt at a lateral move to Ga. State. He's apparently a good man and very personable one-on-one but it's obvious he's done all he can do.

Yep; something has got to change

So you started the thread and titled it 'Something has got to change' and you say you've talked with Massaro in recent weeks. Tell us, what 'has to change' ?????

Except for Shafer (who has two more years on his contract), the entire staff needs to be purged. If Stock bows up, then make a case for insubordination. Anyone with half a brain can look at the attendance and determine that something has to be done to re-energize the fan base. And the $6 million dollar man needs to lead the charge without the same old coach speak, “EATT, compete, played their guts out, didn’t run what was called from the sideline” crap.

And Dr. McPhee needs to support it 100%. CM was not going to to make any changes until after all hope of a bowl eligible season was lost. Well, it’s time.
The good ol boy favoritism has to be blown up. It’s costing the program dearly right now and for any future hopes of getting anyone excited about giving again.
Mike Norvell turned over nearly 100% of his staff after last season. Look at how he reloaded this year. He works at very hard at building a quality staff. He vetted his new assistants very hard. The Special Teams assistant is up for the Broyles Award. He poached the DC from Marshall.
The responsibility lies with a concerted effort between CM, RS and SM.
I’ll be interested to see who still has an office in Murphy Center on Monday afternoon. When Tommy West lost to ECU in 2006, he fired Joe Lee Dunn before mid season. When he lost to FAU in 2007 in the NOLA Bowl, he fired DC, Rick Kravitz before they ever left the Riverfront Hilton.
A purge is needed. A big one. We’ll see what happens this week.

Doubt he fires anyone. He's got all his friends on coaching staff with him. Nepotism at it's finest but I don't think he cares because he is comfortable surrounded by all his buddies.

Honest question. Does anyone think Stockstill really cares about MT and Murfreesboro or is this just a job for him? I could be way wrong, but I tend to think that it is just a job for him and that he cares very little about the university or the community. I think as soon as he is done here he is gone to South Carolina or Florida to retire and we won't here from him again. How much longer will he continues to drag us through these losing/average seasons with all his buddies on staff, despite the harm it causes the football program and university. Is the fact that he continues to do that the answer to my question.

I wonder if Stock has something in his contract where he gets total control of assistants? Hopefully not but in the various re writes he might have got CM to put that in.

I guess one could argue that he may not care enough since he seems content to allow the football program to languish in mediocrity.

I suspect that coach stock & Massaro et al have allowed themselves to be convinced that due to facilities etc MT just can't be expected to do much better. It's a self deceptive rationalization in my opinion.

Reactions: RaiderDawg78
I guess one could argue that he may not care enough since he seems content to allow the football program to languish in mediocrity.

I suspect that coach stock & Massaro et al have allowed themselves to be convinced that due to facilities etc MT just can't be expected to do much better. It's a self deceptive rationalization in my opinion.

Every time I read Massaro blame facilities, I can’t help but think of this

We have a president who (probably because of his background) seems to care more about MT's international reputation rather than how we are thought of in the hamlets of Middle Tennessee or the halls of the state legislature (really doesn't want to rock the boat after keeping his job after the "incident" by being the only BOR minority president at the time).

I was doing a search on line and using a few key words (mtsu, mediocrity, etc) and came across this old opinion piece from 15 years ago

The Sidney McPhee Problem

Reactions: MTTim and MT Glenn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT