ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS The Facilities Announcement

I missed it as I was still at work. Did it look like a bad infomercial or one of those commercials that's supposed to try and trick you into thinking you forgot you were watching a talk show you'd never seen before?

I missed it as I was still at work. Did it look like a bad infomercial or one of those commercials that's supposed to try and trick you into thinking you forgot you were watching a talk show you'd never seen before?
I probably should move my take on it that I posted in the FIU game thread.😂

The people are voting with their feet and their wallets. This #BuildBlue “campaign” announced today supposedly was the brainchild of the current FAMU Athletic Director four years ago while employed as the interim BRAA Director. If you don’t believe it just go read his bio HERE

”While overseeing an annual $36 million operating budget, Gosha also led and developed the #BluePrint $120 million athletics facility master plan. As a championship administrator, Gosha continued to elevate the department to unprecedented heights when he cultivated and secured a $1,000,000 gift on behalf of Athletics.”

If true, then what the heck have the folks in Cope and Murphy been doing all this time??? All of a sudden this sense of urgency and WOW factor are supposed to inspire me to donate given the performance of the two major revenue generating sports the last 3 years? And they wonder why alumni like me are skeptical of anything they throw out there?????

Regardless of my desire for a new coach, I can’t deny that this is very generous of Stock.

And that's why I've kept my mouth shut on Twitter as I follow/follow me several former players. I'd get my a$$ handed to me.

He is a good man (ignoring the using us as a retirement fund argument) as in he does truly run a clean program, great great APR, men graduate and those men will be grateful to Stock the rest of their lives. He is admires by the players players other coaches.

But...the win thing. I mean I'm not sorry to say I command more than bowl eligible from my Alma Mater. I command 10 win seasons and division championships every 2-3 years. Conference championship every 4-5 years. 7-5 is a rebuild year. Of which technically after 16 years there should never be a rebuild year. It should always be next man up after a system being installed for that long. You have two losing seasons in a row after year 4, and you are gone.

I command a MBB post season appearance EVERY year. Which means minimum NIT. Dance at minimum every other year. Round of 32 minimum each time and to me, Sweet 16 at least once every 4-5 years.

But apparently winning doesn't matter to those in charge. Does APR come first, absolutely. But you can do both.

The people are voting with their feet and their wallets. This #BuildBlue “campaign” announced today supposedly was the brainchild of the current FAMU Athletic Director four years ago while employed as the interim BRAA Director. If you don’t believe it just go read his bio HERE

”While overseeing an annual $36 million operating budget, Gosha also led and developed the #BluePrint $120 million athletics facility master plan. As a championship administrator, Gosha continued to elevate the department to unprecedented heights when he cultivated and secured a $1,000,000 gift on behalf of Athletics.”

If true, then what the heck have the folks in Cope and Murphy been doing all this time??? All of a sudden this sense of urgency and WOW factor are supposed to inspire me to donate given the performance of the two major revenue generating sports the last 3 years? And they wonder why alumni like me are skeptical of anything they throw out there?????
maybe he was actually working, while everyone else was just bs'ing. I know he has raised some money at FAMU the past 2 years. and upgraded facilities

That means were not getting rid of him anytime soon.
I have no doubt.

What it means, I strongly suspect, is CRS will leave on his own terms and timing. On the off chance MT was going to buy him out at some point, the half million is a investment from him to allow him to finish out his contract as he wants. Compare it to the diversion of his pay previously that allowed the extension of his contract that got us to this point.

I won't be surprised if this is actually part of a renegotiated extension or terms of his contract. If it is, I suspect it will take an FOIA to make it public knowledge.

Excuse me for being so cynical...

I have no doubt.

What it means, I strongly suspect, is CRS will leave on his own terms and timing. On the off chance MT was going to buy him out at some point, the half million is a investment from him to allow him to finish out his contract as he wants. Compare it to the diversion of his pay previously that allowed the extension of his contract that got us to this point.

I won't be surprised if this is actually part of a renegotiated extension or terms of his contract. If it is, I suspect it will take an FOIA to make it public knowledge.

Well, they won over Austin again with this move so I doubt it (FOIA) will happen.😂

The love for Stockstill reminds me of the old Charles Barkley line..."If the first thing you say about a person is that they have a great personality, that means they are ugly."

If the first thing you say about a coach is that he is a great person, that means he ain't a winner on the field. Sorry, that's just the facts.

When MT realizes college athletics are a business, then I think we can talk again, but until then all of this nonsense that should have been done 5-10 years ago while the iron was hot is just too little, too middle, and too late.

Oh that's cringe. Didn't age well.

Anyone notice the new renderings have a Pegasus statue at the new entrance?

Reactions: ewglenn
And that's why I've kept my mouth shut on Twitter as I follow/follow me several former players. I'd get my a$$ handed to me.

He is a good man (ignoring the using us as a retirement fund argument) as in he does truly run a clean program, great great APR, men graduate and those men will be grateful to Stock the rest of their lives. He is admires by the players players other coaches.

But...the win thing. I mean I'm not sorry to say I command more than bowl eligible from my Alma Mater. I command 10 win seasons and division championships every 2-3 years. Conference championship every 4-5 years. 7-5 is a rebuild year. Of which technically after 16 years there should never be a rebuild year. It should always be next man up after a system being installed for that long. You have two losing seasons in a row after year 4, and you are gone.

I command a MBB post season appearance EVERY year. Which means minimum NIT. Dance at minimum every other year. Round of 32 minimum each time and to me, Sweet 16 at least once every 4-5 years.

But apparently winning doesn't matter to those in charge. Does APR come first, absolutely. But you can do both.
Yes, Stock's a good man, but do you know who else is a good man? ME. Can I get that kind of money to lose football games?

I wouldn't be surprised if his donation triggered another 5-year extension.

An Indoor Practice Facility should be Phase 1, actually it should have been Phase 10-15 years ago.
And why the hell is not an indoor track included in the IPF??? This drives me nuts. If you're going to spend all this money and apparently track won't be happening after Murphy Center renovations in Phase II, are we putting our track program on the shelf or at a disadvantage???

I have no doubt.

Have to give credit to a head coach or anyone in leadership making a significant financial investment. Think at face value this move is respectable.

That said, the timing and optics are very interesting. I will leave it with others to draw their own conclusions to what was going through mind(s) of Stocksill’s in making this gesture…be it business, civic, charity, job security, or good public relations with the university. Who knows exactly?

Win, Lose, or Draw—will definitely say it was an excellent ♟ chessboard move on his part at an impeccable timed moment in Blue Raider History!

Reactions: ewglenn
Alright, nice big check. If you are sticking around, could you at least get rid of a couple of line coaches? Really, anyone else not hitting recruiting hard constantly. Something, anything to contradict the ongoing commitment to empty seats. Despite the big check, people are not excited about attending MTSU football games.

Call me cynical, but one could argue that this move is a commitment to empty seats by surrendering stadium capacity. A tacit admission that the leaders have no desire to max out home crowds. Once those seats are gone, it will be a 20 - 30 year acknowledgment to smaller goals and expectations. It's lowering the bar. Classic little middle thinking. Because even if some future coach were to succeed significantly with packed crowds, it would take years or even decades for MT to ever possibly add more seats to the stadium.

On the upside, sellouts of the smaller stadium could be something similar to achieving bowl eligibility.

Alright, nice big check. If you are sticking around, could you at least get rid of a couple of line coaches? Really, anyone else not hitting recruiting hard constantly. Something, anything to contradict the ongoing commitment to empty seats. Despite the big check, people are not excited about attending MTSU football games.

Call me cynical, but one could argue that this move is a commitment to empty seats by surrendering stadium capacity. A tacit admission that the leaders have no desire to max out home crowds. Once those seats are gone, it will be a 20 - 30 year acknowledgment to smaller goals and expectations. It's lowering the bar. Classic little middle thinking. Because even if some future coach were to succeed significantly with packed crowds, it would take years or even decades for MT to ever possibly add more seats to the stadium.

On the upside, sellouts of the smaller stadium could be something similar to achieving bowl eligibility.
Smaller sellouts is way better than the empty aluminum we got now. WKU is killing it right now and they didn't half fill their place when they played us. I was there.

I'm glad it takes us getting snubbed in realignment for our "leaders" to finally figure out what we the fans and literally EVERYONE ELSE IN CFB have known and been saying for a decade +. Now they're like, "Oh crap! Guess we'd better actually try now! Let's start this campaign and actually do something and maybe no one will say anything and everyone will forget about our negligence that ruined our 2 biggest sports." I'm still kind of mad no one with any kind of voice in the administration or media is even acknowledging the monumental failure of it all. That's how bad all this really is. No one cares and they've been milking it. I wish I could mail it in with my job for 10 years + and still make bank. It's so corrupt there should be an investigation.

The trouble I’m seeing from these ♟ chessboard moves is message clarity. Sure, we have a $66 million project or $100 million campaign to enhance athletics. Many in public who have a modicum of engagement with university will “ooh and ah” about investment made and having CRS as the campaign spokesperson with his milestone gift. Again, it’s honorable to see coaches and leadership take an investment role, but optics and intent can certainly be debatable whether it’s charity, civic, self preservation, or a good PR move made in part by the university. Others are better to make that call.

The real message I see is MT being left behind at train station by peers that matter—namely UTK and Vanderbilt’s of the world with investments and budgets. Even Tenn. Tech and APSU makes significant investments these days; our efforts are right there with fill in the blank university from FCS or OVC. This news conference was feel good tonic or a revolutionary diet craze, but long term provides little nutritious value for growing fan base in a growing city of 156,000. Supporters will pay themselves on the back and detractors will credibly point out it’s a move to stay barely relevant in FBS.

At the end of the day, is it better to have a 30,788 seat stadium that actually garners Oakland or Riverdale crowd numbers? Or, should we invest to make experience and results better even though seating capacity may ultimately shrink in Floyd or MC? Our problem is MT don’t know how to market product well plus quality of said product isn’t really to P5 or G5 specifications. Leadership has determined it requires too much effort, investment, and resourcefulness to sustain…that’s why we largely have the scale of problems we do. It’s not “let’s go get it” it’s “come here and see” with window dressings and little sizzle.

The late Lee Iacocca said it best “Lead, Follow, or get out of the way”. C-USA reformulated is tantamount to “getting out of the way “ in markets that really matter. Make no mistake, C-USA ceiling is basically being #19 with a 12-0 record in football and a #12 seed in MBB NCAA Tournament if MT ever achieves 27-4 record in basketball again —provided we win our automatic bid. And last rule goes like this: don’t ever lose in quarterfinals or semifinals expecting that at large bid…that’s entering NIT land!

And now back to regular programming!

Last edited:
Reactions: MT Glenn
I understand the hesitation about losing seats but I think MTSU needs to realize what it is. We’re never going to be a P5 school. We can however carve out a nice G5 spot. Our stadium is too big for what we need. Realistically, 25k would be perfect. We’ve only hit that 9 times and I highly doubt that was butts in seats. I think losing some of the upper deck and adding chair backs to the home side are a couple of ways to do that. Also, we should be scheduling TSU more often. They would be an easy win and would sell tickets. Getting Memphis, Vandy and Troy on the schedule should be a priority too.

1. 30,502 Georgia Tech 9/10/11
2. 28,105 Memphis 9/12/09
3. 28,010 Troy 10/5/10
4. 27,568 Tennessee State 9/5/98
5. 27,519 Southeast Missouri 9/28/02
6. 26,717 Vanderbilt 9/2/17
7. 25,908 Minnesota 9/2/10
8. 25,766 Florida Atlantic 9/30/08
9. 25,411 Vanderbilt 10/3/15
10. 24,911 WKU 9/13/14

I haven’t heard of any coach donate to their athletic program like this. Honestly I can’t. I don’t know whether to feel like it is a nice gesture or strange.
He is doing this team and the university a disservice to keep coaching.

I understand the hesitation about losing seats but I think MTSU needs to realize what it is. We’re never going to be a P5 school. We can however carve out a nice G5 spot. Our stadium is too big for what we need. Realistically, 25k would be perfect. We’ve only hit that 9 times and I highly doubt that was butts in seats. I think losing some of the upper deck and adding chair backs to the home side are a couple of ways to do that. Also, we should be scheduling TSU more often. They would be an easy win and would sell tickets. Getting Memphis, Vandy and Troy on the schedule should be a priority too.

1. 30,502 Georgia Tech 9/10/11
2. 28,105 Memphis 9/12/09
3. 28,010 Troy 10/5/10
4. 27,568 Tennessee State 9/5/98
5. 27,519 Southeast Missouri 9/28/02
6. 26,717 Vanderbilt 9/2/17
7. 25,908 Minnesota 9/2/10
8. 25,766 Florida Atlantic 9/30/08
9. 25,411 Vanderbilt 10/3/15
10. 24,911 WKU 9/13/14
Only four times above 24,000 since our Centennial celebration! Don’t have objections to reduce seating capacity—we no longer have one unified graduation ceremonies either at stadium or in Murphy Center. Our teams performance and footprint really doesn’t warrant an expansion or really what we have. Many times, we have not needed any bleachers for our basketball games. Pulling them in/out is high risk now they are a half century old next year (one set was lost to collapse years ago week after a Easter service held in arena).

MT needs to be selling game day experience and excitement on and off the field whatever space best affords atmosphere. If that means dropping capacity 2,500 seats at the stadium or about 1,250 seats in Murphy Center, to create it so be it. 28,000 and 10,000 respectively is plenty for 97% of our event needs; MC no longer hosts A-level concerts anymore so we’re not on map for those major events that brought a generation to our campus and attractive to being a student here in 70s and 80s. There is so much potential on our campus, but somehow it’s not quite used effectively…story of where MT is in 2021.

Last edited:
The phrase "for decades to come" in the tweet below, on the heels of two decades of doing nothing after the late 90s stadium expansion, just strikes me wrong.

Mixed feelings about all this. The Stockstill 500k donation is.....interesting. I think Stockstill is a great man and a great person. I believe he wants to win just as much as anyone, but maybe also realizes he isn't the best coach on the block. Donating half a million dollars is an eye popping thing to me for many reasons.

First and foremost, that's damn near a whole year's worth of salary after you factor in taxes and such. $500,000 is a lot of money for Rick to donate. Would any of you consider donating damn year one year's worth of your take home pay, especially when you know said pay may end this year or only last a few more????? It's a lot of money to donate guys, even for Stockstill. Yes we all know he makes $900,000 a year BUT how long has he made that much, and how much longer will he make that much? It's not like he will be making 900k a year for the rest of his life. He has decided to give up a substantial portion of his personal and families future wealth to Blue Raider Athletics (not just football). Do we know of any other coaches in the country who have donated such an amount?

It's very conflicting. I've always liked Stockstill as a person. I was a student in one of his classes which he only showed up and talked to us a few times, mostly taught by his Director of Operations Danny Lewis at the time. He called me one time when I helped Hutton run this site over some drama that was going on that I don't even remember what the drama was about it was so damn, but we squashed it and BS'd on the phone for a while. He is a super down to earth and likeable guy.

I have always believed, even going back to 2006 when he first came on board, that we were at a disadvantage in recruiting. And that disadvantage has grown year after year as others schools have poured millions into their facilities/coaching staffs. But even going back to when he first got here, Troy routinely was beating us on the recruiting trail (and subsequently on the football field) almost every time we came up against recruits that both schools wanted. I know because I talked to these kids. Troy had very nice facilities circa 2007 for a Sun Belt program and almost had their pick of the litter when it came to SBC recruits, and the results followed. These issues have magnified since we joined CUSA and others have built new stadiums, new IPF's, new athletic complexes, spent more money on coaches, etc. while here at MT we build new softball fields and tennis courts. I have always believed we have sent Rick to a gun fight with a knife in his hand when it comes to recruiting.

But you have to look at the results despite the poor facilities. There are other schools that don't have great facilities that have had good results. So you cannot always blame the facilities. And at some point, if we are not going to invest in new facilities, doesn't the administration need to try something different? The answer is yes they do. Stockstill has obviously not delivered the results we have all wanted, however; the lack of results and the failure is above him. It's Massaro, and by extension it's McPhee. They are ultimately the problem here. They are ultimately the ones who kept him around and said it was good enough. So I don't have any ill will or anger towards Stockstill. He's just doing his job and his bosses are keeping him around for said job, regardless of the results. We have rehashed the past a million times over, and we all know it's been a massive failure by our administration so I'll leave it at that.

Moving forward, we have two excellent coordinators in my opinion, maybe a little early to say that about Dearmon, but Shafer is the real deal and Dearmon's play calling has been on point this year. Then you move on down to assistant coaches and position coaches and I think that's where we all get a little upset. We have routinely been beaten at the lines of scrimmage for a while now, both on defense and at the OL. Why wasn't a change made? Special teams has been terrible until this year. Shouldn't we have tried something different? I think there's some stubbornness there and the nepotism regarding his friends/family being on staff that really bother us, and rightly so. If we were winning championships then it's not a problem, but we're not. We're getting our asses kicked 90% of the time we play a team with a pulse.

No idea what happens next with Stockstill. I can't see us firing him. He might retire? I really don't believe it means a whole lot. Until we get better facilities and until we get better leaders/administrators, it won't matter who the coaches are.

Last edited:
In regards to coaches that have donated to their schools CCU is the only one that immediately comes to mind. He did a smaller gift while there (I can’t remember how much) and just gave a “generous” gift a few months ago (excoach now, estimated 10 million).

Mark Richt gave UM a million the year before the wheels feel off

Nice gesture by Richt.

From a % standpoint (Annual Salary vs. Donation amount) I would be willing to bet Stockstill's donation is one of the largest % wise, if not the largest, in history from a head football coach to his university.

Personally, I think it says a lot about his desire to win here at MT, both now and well into the future when he is gone. Very admirable

It also says a lot about the piss poor state of our athletic department and endowment/big money boosters. Our head football coach should not have to be one of the biggest contributors to our new facilities projects. Almost makes me wonder if Stockstill is the one who really got the ball rolling by offering up half a million

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT