ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS The Facilities Announcement

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country

Reactions: Bolt_Up_72
Seeing how no significant capital investment in facilities for football and basketball have been made for over two decades, this is playing catchup to where our peers were ten years ago.

By the time phase one is finished we will find our facilities even to what Tennessee Tech will have.

Long overdue. Not enough.

Last edited:
For one time in my life, I would like for MT athletics facilities to have something that other peers are envious of and thinking they need to do that. Unfortunately, I don't think that will be the case once all these 'phases' are completed. MT doesn't have leadership with the kind of vision for that to happen.

For one time in my life, I would like for MT athletics facilities to have something that other peers are envious of and thinking they need to do that. Unfortunately, I don't think that will be the case once all these 'phases' are completed. MT doesn't have leadership with the kind of vision for that to happen.
At this point, I'd settle for anything that removes aluminum and the wooden bleacher seating...

Less high school. More division I.

Because, quite frankly, the moment the paint dries on the facility, it's going to be out of date. Someone - somewhere (and likely in the conference) - will have one-up'd MT. It's part of the arms race that is FBS football right now.

Reactions: MT Glenn
At this point, I'd settle for anything that removes aluminum and the wooden bleacher seating...

Less high school. More division I.

Because, quite frankly, the moment the paint dries on the facility, it's going to be out of date. Someone - somewhere (and likely in the conference) - will have one-up'd MT. It's part of the arms race that is FBS football right now.
If we're actually participating in the arms race, we're the equivalent of Nicaragua.

Ummmm.....how does this quote from McPhee not set off major alarm bells?

“The importance of enhanced facilities became clear to me during the shifts in the national collegiate landscape prompted by the realignment of athletic conferences,” McPhee said. “The decision we made to remain with Conference USA aligns squarely with our desire to bring about meaningful change in our athletics campus.”

I mean, I don't even know what to say. Everyone, and I mean everyone, has known realignment is coming. It's been talked about for over a decade. But just now, he understands how important it is to take athletics seriously, after you get passed by all of your conference peers? LOL! How could you not prepare for realignment? How could you sit by idly and let others amass war chests, build beautiful facilities, deliver results on the field/hardwood, and then literally sit around while your major programs went on epicly bad losing streaks and high schools built nicer facilities than ours. Ohhhhhh, now that we are up shit creek without a paddle, Dr. McPhee wants to take things seriously......HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAH

I am truly speechless. Some of you talk about McPhee being a person installed by the state/UTK system to ruin MT/keep it in its place. I used to think it was hogwash conspiracy talk....but now....I'm actually on board with it. There's no way one man who is supposedly a well educated president of a major university can be that ****ing stupid.

No sane, logical, competent individual could sit in a position of power like that and not have the foresight and knowledge that you have to take athletics seriously and invest in them if you want to succeed at the D1/FBS level.

I cannot put into words how infuriating and depressing it has been being a fan of MT since coming to campus as a freshman student in 2003. I was hooked after my first game, where I saw FAU win on a last second 62 yard TD pass for their first ever win over a D1 program (Go figure that would be my first game, huh?). I've said it before and I will say it again, our "leaders" make it impossible to be a fan of this university. There is just so much to hate and be discontent about. And this goes way beyond your regular message board bellyaching where people are mad about offensive play calling or whatever. This is flat out incompetence at the highest levels of our administration and leadership and it's been going on for decades. These are people that are supposed to be on our side and working for the betterment of our university/athletics but instead are actually sabotaging it. And it's been allowed to flourish for decades....It makes all the caring and effort and investment feel so futile. They have destroyed athletics and the soul of our university, and I suspect they are too ignorant and surrounded by too much groupthink to grasp it all.

My only hope at this point is that, god willing, I will out live these ****ing leeches.

Last edited:
To me his Comment was more towards the fact they need the exit fee money to get anything done. They knew they had to keep up and the realignment was the only way they felt they had a chance to keep up

To me his Comment was more towards the fact they need the exit fee money to get anything done. They knew they had to keep up and the realignment was the only way they felt they had a chance to keep up

They could always have tried the old tactic of putting together a winning, entertaining product led by charismatic coaches and leaders who wanted to sell the program.

But nah, this works too I guess.

Does anyone know what the overall capacity of Floyd stadium will be when they remove the upper deck behind the endzone?

Are they going into any details when they give the presser prior to the WBB vs Vandy?

Hopefully change out the scoreboard...

Ummmm.....how does this quote from McPhee not set off major alarm bells?

“The importance of enhanced facilities became clear to me during the shifts in the national collegiate landscape prompted by the realignment of athletic conferences,” McPhee said. “The decision we made to remain with Conference USA aligns squarely with our desire to bring about meaningful change in our athletics campus.”

I mean, I don't even know what to say. Everyone, and I mean everyone, has known realignment is coming. It's been talked about for over a decade. But just now, he understands how important it is to take athletics seriously, after you get passed by all of your conference peers? LOL! How could you not prepare for realignment? How could you sit by idly and let others amass war chests, build beautiful facilities, deliver results on the field/hardwood, and then literally sit around while your major programs went on epicly bad losing streaks and high schools built nicer facilities than ours. Ohhhhhh, now that we are up shit creek without a paddle, Dr. McPhee wants to take things seriously......HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAH

I am truly speechless. Some of you talk about McPhee being a person installed by the state/UTK system to ruin MT/keep it in its place. I used to think it was hogwash conspiracy talk....but now....I'm actually on board with it. There's no way one man who is supposedly a well educated president of a major university can be that ****ing stupid.

No sane, logical, competent individual could sit in a position of power like that and not have the foresight and knowledge that you have to take athletics seriously and invest in them if you want to succeed at the D1/FBS level.

I cannot put into words how infuriating and depressing it has been being a fan of MT since coming to campus as a freshman student in 2003. I was hooked after my first game, where I saw FAU win on a last second 62 yard TD pass for their first ever win over a D1 program (Go figure that would be my first game, huh?). I've said it before and I will say it again, our "leaders" make it impossible to be a fan of this university. There is just so much to hate and be discontent about. And this goes way beyond your regular message board bellyaching where people are mad about offensive play calling or whatever. This is flat out incompetence at the highest levels of our administration and leadership and it's been going on for decades. These are people that are supposed to be on our side and working for the betterment of our university/athletics but instead are actually sabotaging it. And it's been allowed to flourish for decades....It makes all the caring and effort and investment feel so futile. They have destroyed athletics and the soul of our university, and I suspect they are too ignorant and surrounded by too much groupthink to grasp it all.

My only hope at this point is that, god willing, I will out live these ****ing leeches.
That man is so TONE DEAF...

Reactions: Hop45 and Blue_H
Are there additional or better pictures of the renderings for the football stadium? From the photo in the article I can't really see much.

Are we moving towards a building in the endzone, rather than seating? It's a common look in stadiums and looks really good I think. I just can't tell from the drawings.

Are there additional or better pictures of the renderings for the football stadium? From the photo in the article I can't really see much.
the video is the one from 4 years ago, and about the 1:30 mark the north end zone is shown with what I assume is something close to what they plan. One thing I've learned in years of stuff like this is the end result never comes close to resembling the 'vision' portrayed in renderings/videos.

Reactions: MTTim and MT Glenn
Thank you. that looks really good.

A few disappointing things though - we are sticking with mtSU, rather than just MT or Middle Tenn. I would prefer to drop the SU part.

Logo - now is the time to redo the logo and either modernize the pegasus or get something different. I suppose they will still have time to do that if they want, but that's more $ to swap things out all over campus.

A few disappointing things though - we are sticking with mtSU, rather than just MT or Middle Tenn. I would prefer to drop the SU part.

Well, that will never change as long as McPhee is here, and the sob has plastered the mtxx all over everthing that has been put in place since he's been here. I can not wait until the clown retires.

Logo - now is the time to redo the logo and either modernize the pegasus or get something different. I suppose they will still have time to do that if they want, but that's more $ to swap things out all over campus.

I remember years ago on some radio call in show, Massaro was answering ???s (imagine that in the last 8 or 9 years). I called in and asked a question about doing a refresh or reboot of our logo, and he said he didn't see any need to do it.

Hopefully by the time the paint does dry we will have new coaches and some new excitement will be breathing in the programs along with some $.
With M & M in charge no telling what the final product will look like. Heck the paint scheme may even change by the time it dries. Our school colors may be blue, white with a touch of green.

Last edited:
Well, that will never change as long as McPhee is here, and the sob has plastered the mtxx all over everthing that has been put in place since he's been here. I can not wait until the clown retires.

I remember years ago on some radio call in show, Massaro was answering ???s (imagine that in the last 8 or 9 years). I called in and asked a question about doing a refresh or reboot of our logo, and he said he didn't see any need to do it.
I saw a need from the day they introduced that garbage.

As a student when that thing was introduced, majority of student body hated it. Can't speak for now...

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I saw a need from the day they introduced that garbage.

As a student when that thing was introduced, majority of student body hated it. Can't speak for now...

100% agree. When we jumped up the thing was on every t-shirt you could buy. They even had it on the Raiders font. So in 98 i had no choice but to wear it. I remember one day asking why and was told the whole aerospace thing. It was really one of those wtf

Thankfully at least the font is gone from the endzone.

When they had a "surprise add" of Stock at the end, I thought, here it is. Retirement. Started talking, kept thinking it.

Till he said he "can't wait till in 2-3 years when our guys come back and see these buildings and see the looks on their faces"

Dammit. 2-3 more years!?!?

Missed most of it, but did they mention anything specific facility wise, like improvements to stadium or is that in another phase?

When they had a "surprise add" of Stock at the end, I thought, here it is. Retirement. Started talking, kept thinking it.

Till he said he "can't wait till in 2-3 years when our guys come back and see these buildings and see the looks on their faces"

I thought exact thing. He was donating a million and retiring...

It sounded to me like he has no intention of going anywhere.

Iceberg ahead.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT