ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL The great FBS split.....NCAA giving in?

MidTennMtneer

All American
Nov 13, 2013
$30k per year to each player. Just like I've said, within the next decade there will be a split. And it wouldn't surprise me if a variation of this discussion starter from Baker ends up being the plan, some current Power schools will drop down and join us.

The NCAA will introduce a proposal that would grant certain schools more power to compensate athletes in a new way.

Last edited:
So we just have a semi pro football organization. If they want to do that, then they can pay their own way through school. I mean, they are here for college and an education.

So we just have a semi pro football organization. If they want to do that, then they can pay their own way through school. I mean, they are here for college and an education.
If you think athletes are here for college and education you’re pretty blind. Hopefully this split happens honestly. Liberty showed a team like ours in our conference can go undefeated and have no shot at a title. I’d rather let the 50 or so top spenders have their thing and everyone else have our level with an actual playoff and a chance to win a national title. Not that we have many to lose but I don’t think this would affect our fan base negatively and being able to make playoff runs could actually help.

If they decide to fund all athletes, say it's 400 at each school, that's 12 million a year. So The P4 will also provide full cost of attendance, so that another 10k to 20k a year. They will have budget barriers that most G5 can't afford, so the top G5 and FCS will be back together without having to spend the 5 million. The low end FCS will go back to D2. I'm sure each level with have benchmarks you have to do to stay at each.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
If they decide to fund all athletes, say it's 400 at each school, that's 12 million a year. So The P4 will also provide full cost of attendance, so that another 10k to 20k a year. They will have budget barriers that most G5 can't afford, so the top G5 and FCS will be back together without having to spend the 5 million. The low end FCS will go back to D2. I'm sure each level with have benchmarks you have to do to stay at each.
I think this is where it's headed. Cutoffs for each group. Whether that is 3 D1 groups or still do like you said, some shuffling will occur either way. D3, no scholarships. D2 scholarships only. D1 group 1 scholarships/$5k etc.

CM has always said he wants us in the 2nd group, even now. When some variation of this comes to fruition I think we still can be in the 2nd from top group.

I just want a level playing field where we can compete for national titles. Period.

EDIT...
I mean there are some current Power schools that in no way can afford $30k a player. Think Wake could pull that off? Iowa State? Idk if WVU could. Heck, even UCLA athletic dept is in the red. There will be major major shuffling around.

Right now this is just a proposal and I can’t see those schools like you identified being okay with this as it stands. And for the big name brands if you don’t have the lesser schools to beat up then you can’t go undefeated every year or make the playoff as one of the best

….make the playoff as one of the best

Pay players = Players Union & Revenue Sharing.

P4 will have a 12 team playoff with 3 auto bids per league. They will collude…plan with ESPN to set their conference and inter conference games against each other.

Bowl games own and controlled by the highest bidding network will be played one per day from Xmas through New Years, making sure not to compete with NFL or the playoff games.

America loves football. We love NFL and we love college. People will watch. Purists will watch FBS-2 and FCS

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT