ADVERTISEMENT

It's been a long time coming - I'm pulling back . . .

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
. . . - Not completely going away, yet.

I was going to write a three part epistle on my Blue Raider fandom (1. Just how I am pulling back; 2. How I became a BR fan, things I have done, what it has meant to me; 3. The ups and downs of being a MT fan and what specifically has brought me to this place) but I have decided to make it (somewhat) short and sweet.

Being a BR fan has been a huge part of my life and has brought me much enjoyment and happiness but recently it's just not much fun. I hesitate to call being a MTsU fan my #1 hobby but other than family and career it has been in my thoughts and actions more than any other endeavor. I've dabbled in various activities throughout my adult life but following the BRs has been a constant. Now, I must pull back. It's not illness, it's not old age, it's not other activities taking it's place. What it is, to you younger folks, is realizing one gives up various things during life (some very enjoyable and some not so much) and as you give up something if frees you to focus on other things. I've come to the realization that I need to devote time and resources to other things although I have no idea what they are.

I think I would be happier if MT had never left the OVC and had Walker, Donnelly, and Fowler not had higher aspirations for the athletic program. The move in FB to D-1 gave me hope; No, not really hope but the expectation that MT would be relevant throughout the mid-state, as relevant as VU in the mid-state (especially outside of West End and Belle Meade) and as relevant in the mid-state as UT-K is from Mountain City to Lake Co. Since I first heard Dr. Walker say that the athletic program was the front porch of a university I just knew we would grow academically, alumni support would explode and the endowment would grow because of the notoriety the athletic program would bring. And, since men's BkB is my favorite sport I just knew a side effect of moving to D-1 in FB would be that we would no longer be just another %#&-major and would join Memphis and the two $EC schools as a member of the Tennessee Big 4 basketball schools.

For the first decade of being D-1 in FB we had enough successes to think it could happen, my school would be relevant and would be extensively covered in the mid-state media, fans would stream into M'boro for games, FB tailgating would be covered by local stations (had two for a few years), the teams would be talked about at the water cooler, between Sunday school and Church services, at the bar after work, and at the gas stations throughout the mid-state. I started to be apprehensive when we apparently didn't raise the measly $80 million expected from the 100th anniversary Centennial Campaign, when we failed to capitalize on the N. O. Bowl victory, when we couldn't fill the stadium for name opponents, and when men's BkB continued to flounder until Davis finally hit his stride. (As an aside: The last few years of Davis' tenure were my most enjoyable since the Bruce Stewart days but we still have failed to make a deep NCAA run which was my dream 50+/- years ago.) Among other huge disappointments were the 4 game FB series with VU, the removing of MT FB and BkB from WMOT, and the wasted "regional ready" BB stadium.

I realize many of you posters will place the blame for the athletic department's downfall in the offices in Murphy and Cope and they are not blameless for some obvious missteps. However, I tend to place more of the blame on the explosion of funding for "power" schools along with changes in the mid-state population, the media, and society as a whole; things over which the school has no control. It's a shame that to the casual mid-state fan the move to D-1 has been completely wasted and the image of the school's athletic program is similar to where it would have been should the resources used to move to D-1 in FB have never been spent. IMHO the image of the academic program along with the entire university has regressed over the last decade.

It's not the one "straw which broke the camel's back" which has caused me to realize that MTsU will never be where I hoped the school to be academically or athletically. Instead, There are four relatively recent developments which have caused me to realize my support, limited as it is, is not going to affect the future of the school in the least.

First is the most recent: The University of Tennessee - Southern was approved by the UT Board on Friday. The acquisition of Martin Methodist (which should be University of Middle Tennessee - Southern IMHO) shows the lack of political and financial clout surrounding MTsU. Another UT-K reality was from a UT-K alumni whose most recent visit in several years to the Knoxville campus was a college visit with his daughter. Of course the tour guide was from M'Boro and the father raved about the looks of the campus ("like a park compared to the time I was in school") and the new buildings (with many funded partially by alumni). (and we can't keep the drain gutters on the Murphy Ctr. wookiee steps swept during BkB season). And let's not forget as far as athletics: UT-K golf was 2nd in the $EC (division?) with a MT coach, transfers, and signees. How do you compete with a school which receives $23 million from their conference office in "Covid relief" funds?

Belmont - where to start? Even during the best of Davis' tenure Belmont and Byrd were right there tagging along (or were we tagging along with them?). And now both Belmont BkB teams have left us in the dust. Not only do they have a law school and a pharmacy school but they are adding a third Nashville medical school. Not to forget they have hosted 2 recent presidential debates. We should be glad they don't have FB (LOL). When I became a MT fan/supporter Belmont was a NAIA school whose star player made a 6 (a SIX) on their ACT and now they are going to have a medical school.

And as far as adding programs: We don't have the political power to accept a law school which was to be donated. What does this tell you about our support and the number of forces allied against our progress. Since the mid-state doesn't have a publicly supported law school and there is not one from Knoxville to Memphis I guess we'll see one soon at UT - Southern (LOL).

Lastly, the inability of the men's Basketball program to maintain even a small level of respectability after Davis left has been truly devastating to me. After Bruce Stewart left MT under the cloud of NCAA sanctions from which it took 20 years to recover I had thought it couldn't happen again but I'm not so sure and there are no sanctions this time. I can't wait another 20 years to once again enjoy MT BkB.

MTsU is what MTsU is - a regional (directional?) state supported university with a 4 letter acronym feebly trying to compete at the highest level of athletic competition, still primarily a "suitcase" college, a college for which few if any area academically ambitious students see as a "stretch" school - probably not even a "fall-back" school, a school without any professional programs, and a school which few of the area's high profile athletes even consider attending. MTsU's primary purpose is to provide mid-managers for businesses, knowledgeable employees for various trades, and public servants (teachers, nurses, law enforcement, etc.). Many students see MT as similar to the high school they were zoned to. Few come for the college "experience". It is what it is and it's not going to change any time soon, if ever.

It's a sad time for me, I've lost sleep and just a few tears over the time I've thought about this post. I must back away. No more promoting the school, no more donations, no more letting the athletic schedule rule my life, and no more checking this message board every time I sit down to the computer (a habit since the old Delphi board). I'll still follow the Blue Raiders, just not as closely. My message board activity will be limited unless I feel I have something important to add.

I could go on-and-on but I'll leave with this admonition to you few posters here: Be True to Your School - Go Blue Raiders!

. . . - Not completely going away, yet.

I was going to write a three part epistle on my Blue Raider fandom (1. Just how I am pulling back; 2. How I became a BR fan, things I have done, what it has meant to me; 3. The ups and downs of being a MT fan and what specifically has brought me to this place) but I have decided to make it (somewhat) short and sweet.

Being a BR fan has been a huge part of my life and has brought me much enjoyment and happiness but recently it's just not much fun. I hesitate to call being a MTsU fan my #1 hobby but other than family and career it has been in my thoughts and actions more than any other endeavor. I've dabbled in various activities throughout my adult life but following the BRs has been a constant. Now, I must pull back. It's not illness, it's not old age, it's not other activities taking it's place. What it is, to you younger folks, is realizing one gives up various things during life (some very enjoyable and some not so much) and as you give up something if frees you to focus on other things. I've come to the realization that I need to devote time and resources to other things although I have no idea what they are.

I think I would be happier if MT had never left the OVC and had Walker, Donnelly, and Fowler not had higher aspirations for the athletic program. The move in FB to D-1 gave me hope; No, not really hope but the expectation that MT would be relevant throughout the mid-state, as relevant as VU in the mid-state (especially outside of West End and Belle Meade) and as relevant in the mid-state as UT-K is from Mountain City to Lake Co. Since I first heard Dr. Walker say that the athletic program was the front porch of a university I just knew we would grow academically, alumni support would explode and the endowment would grow because of the notoriety the athletic program would bring. And, since men's BkB is my favorite sport I just knew a side effect of moving to D-1 in FB would be that we would no longer be just another %#&-major and would join Memphis and the two $EC schools as a member of the Tennessee Big 4 basketball schools.

For the first decade of being D-1 in FB we had enough successes to think it could happen, my school would be relevant and would be extensively covered in the mid-state media, fans would stream into M'boro for games, FB tailgating would be covered by local stations (had two for a few years), the teams would be talked about at the water cooler, between Sunday school and Church services, at the bar after work, and at the gas stations throughout the mid-state. I started to be apprehensive when we apparently didn't raise the measly $80 million expected from the 100th anniversary Centennial Campaign, when we failed to capitalize on the N. O. Bowl victory, when we couldn't fill the stadium for name opponents, and when men's BkB continued to flounder until Davis finally hit his stride. (As an aside: The last few years of Davis' tenure were my most enjoyable since the Bruce Stewart days but we still have failed to make a deep NCAA run which was my dream 50+/- years ago.) Among other huge disappointments were the 4 game FB series with VU, the removing of MT FB and BkB from WMOT, and the wasted "regional ready" BB stadium.

I realize many of you posters will place the blame for the athletic department's downfall in the offices in Murphy and Cope and they are not blameless for some obvious missteps. However, I tend to place more of the blame on the explosion of funding for "power" schools along with changes in the mid-state population, the media, and society as a whole; things over which the school has no control. It's a shame that to the casual mid-state fan the move to D-1 has been completely wasted and the image of the school's athletic program is similar to where it would have been should the resources used to move to D-1 in FB have never been spent. IMHO the image of the academic program along with the entire university has regressed over the last decade.

It's not the one "straw which broke the camel's back" which has caused me to realize that MTsU will never be where I hoped the school to be academically or athletically. Instead, There are four relatively recent developments which have caused me to realize my support, limited as it is, is not going to affect the future of the school in the least.

First is the most recent: The University of Tennessee - Southern was approved by the UT Board on Friday. The acquisition of Martin Methodist (which should be University of Middle Tennessee - Southern IMHO) shows the lack of political and financial clout surrounding MTsU. Another UT-K reality was from a UT-K alumni whose most recent visit in several years to the Knoxville campus was a college visit with his daughter. Of course the tour guide was from M'Boro and the father raved about the looks of the campus ("like a park compared to the time I was in school") and the new buildings (with many funded partially by alumni). (and we can't keep the drain gutters on the Murphy Ctr. wookiee steps swept during BkB season). And let's not forget as far as athletics: UT-K golf was 2nd in the $EC (division?) with a MT coach, transfers, and signees. How do you compete with a school which receives $23 million from their conference office in "Covid relief" funds?

Belmont - where to start? Even during the best of Davis' tenure Belmont and Byrd were right there tagging along (or were we tagging along with them?). And now both Belmont BkB teams have left us in the dust. Not only do they have a law school and a pharmacy school but they are adding a third Nashville medical school. Not to forget they have hosted 2 recent presidential debates. We should be glad they don't have FB (LOL). When I became a MT fan/supporter Belmont was a NAIA school whose star player made a 6 (a SIX) on their ACT and now they are going to have a medical school.

And as far as adding programs: We don't have the political power to accept a law school which was to be donated. What does this tell you about our support and the number of forces allied against our progress. Since the mid-state doesn't have a publicly supported law school and there is not one from Knoxville to Memphis I guess we'll see one soon at UT - Southern (LOL).

Lastly, the inability of the men's Basketball program to maintain even a small level of respectability after Davis left has been truly devastating to me. After Bruce Stewart left MT under the cloud of NCAA sanctions from which it took 20 years to recover I had thought it couldn't happen again but I'm not so sure and there are no sanctions this time. I can't wait another 20 years to once again enjoy MT BkB.

MTsU is what MTsU is - a regional (directional?) state supported university with a 4 letter acronym feebly trying to compete at the highest level of athletic competition, still primarily a "suitcase" college, a college for which few if any area academically ambitious students see as a "stretch" school - probably not even a "fall-back" school, a school without any professional programs, and a school which few of the area's high profile athletes even consider attending. MTsU's primary purpose is to provide mid-managers for businesses, knowledgeable employees for various trades, and public servants (teachers, nurses, law enforcement, etc.). Many students see MT as similar to the high school they were zoned to. Few come for the college "experience". It is what it is and it's not going to change any time soon, if ever.

It's a sad time for me, I've lost sleep and just a few tears over the time I've thought about this post. I must back away. No more promoting the school, no more donations, no more letting the athletic schedule rule my life, and no more checking this message board every time I sit down to the computer (a habit since the old Delphi board). I'll still follow the Blue Raiders, just not as closely. My message board activity will be limited unless I feel I have something important to add.

I could go on-and-on but I'll leave with this admonition to you few posters here: Be True to Your School - Go Blue Raiders!

I’m sorry to say but you are correct on all points. I’ve lived Blue raiders all my life. I’m still a blue raider for life. Things just aren’t right in our athletic program not entirely their fault we have absolutely no expectations. Hoping for the best in future. Go blue raiders

Best thing I have seen written in a while. Spot on, on all points.

I sympathize with you. My own earliest memories of Blue Raider athletics are from the mid 70's. Since, I have lost sleep from sheer excitement. I have lost it from frustration and anger.

There was a time that I too felt we could be a national player, a name everyone would recognize. There have been glimpses of that. But otherwise we have endured more heartache than garnering headlines.

I too don't fully place blame on the administration leadership positions. Just like technology has changed at a rapid pace in my lifetime, so has the college sports landscape. We don't have the financial support to be a national player, whether that comes from the fanbase or checks written to the Power 5. The divide is widening and, no matter who we have in the leadership positions, I don't know that there is a way to catch up.

That said, I do fully support a change. I don't know that anyone else would provide better results but I don't see a lot of effort from those in the power positions, mainly our AD and President. Our President (who should have been fired for his issues years ago) doesn't have the clout to get a free law school gift. The biggest effort I have seen from our AD was getting his a$$ on the beach while taunting the fan base who couldn't afford a last minute bowl trip to Hawaii with his infamous love my job, day at the office pic .

Instead of working to unite the fanbase, they have and continue to alienate them. The acceptance of mediocrity baffles me. Maybe we can't do better, but I'll be damned if we can't put some effort in and try. Maybe we sink like a rock but there was a time I would run through a brick wall for the Blue Raiders. Now, I have to drag myself to the games . After not missing a home football game in 30+ years, I quite simply have little desire to go. The lack of success coupled with the "that's ok, here's an extension pat on the back" from the administration tells me that they really just don't care. And I can't stand that.

As was mentioned above, as you age you find out that other things are important too, and some things that were important, not so much anymore. Regardless of your stance, the college landscape continues to change at lightning speed. And the competition for fans in the stands is more and more challenging. People have other things to do, not to mention a better seat in their homes for just about any game in the country.

I don't know what the answer is. I don't know that there is one. It's gonna take someone special and creative to pull us out of this hole, and even if they come along, such a feat will most likely earn them a promotion elsewhere. I have come the accept that this is the case, probably always will be. As long as we are trying to make it happen, I am satisfied. We will have our moments. Right now, I am not satisfied. Apathy has set in from the powers that be and it has infiltrated the fanbase. Like Kermit (or Bruce Stewart) we caught lightning in a bottle for a brief time. We were headliners on ESPN and it was a wonderful moment in time for the Blue Raider faithful. Yet those times are few and far between. I have learned to enjoy the moment and savor it when it happens, for it may be 20 years before it does again.

I will always root for Middle. Whether we end up in the SEC or back in the OVC, my loyalties will always be Blue. Hats off to MYFNBY5 for the post. I greatly respect your stance, rationalization and opinion. We share a lot of common emotions. Good luck to you. Hope to see you back during happier times. Go Big Blue!

I’m also a Belmont grad and they have left MT in the dust. Memphis Football recovered after some major boosters took control and cleaned house.

Middle Tennessee State just keeps doing what we do.

Last edited:
Appreciate the thoughtful content of your post MTFNBY5. I would encourage you to come by this forum as much as you can. You are truly valued here. There's not many of "us" left that really care about MT athletics. Come by as often as you can!

Your thoughts and stance on MT Athletics should be the biggest red flags of all red flags for our administration/leaders. You are a life-long supporter and as True Blue as they come and you're throwing in the towel.

While I wholeheartedly agree with your thoughts, for me, personally, as a former Letterman, I will try to attend one of the events to support my Fellow MTSU Letterman/Brethren.... In no way, however, does this mean I have changed my mind about shape our program has fallen to... I am still very disgruntled and believe HEADS SHOULD ROLL...

While I wholeheartedly agree with your thoughts, for me, personally, as a former Letterman, I will try to attend one of the events to support my Fellow MTSU Letterman/Brethren.... In no way, however, does this mean I have changed my mind about shape our program has fallen to... I am still very disgruntled and believe HEADS SHOULD ROLL...
I can appreciate your loyalties as well. That said, just yesterday, I had a phone conversation with a client, friend, former Memphis player. He shared with me a conversation he had with one of MT’s current assistants at a Hall of Fame dinner. This MT assistant bragged to my friend that he loves his gig at MT because he is able to do what he wants, build his retirement and doesn’t have to recruit.

Last edited:
In some form or fashion, I feel like a lot of of are teetering towards this path.

I have been trying to think of POSITIVE items that this AD department has done in the last four years but I have absolutely nothing.

I am frustrated that we lost the law school and that a student from UTK had a decision on MT's future. I am really dumbfounded on the contract given to our football program that stifles success. I am watching what happens on the basketball side of the house.

I have taken the position of why should I care if they do not.

You have got to be 💩 me.

I can appreciate your loyalties as well. That said, just yesterday, I had a phone conversation with a client, friend, former Memphis player. He shared with me a conversation he had with one of MT’s current assistants at a Hall of Fame dinner. This MT assistant bragged to my friend that loves his gig at MT because he is able to do what he wants, build his retirement and doesn’t have to recruit.

I'm sorry MTFNBY5 that it has taken you this long to acknowledge the truth about Middle Tennessee State University. When I tried to reveal the truth about the university, I was always vilified on this board. The problems that Middle Tennessee State University has inherited are not all due to its directional name because Western Michigan University also has a directional name, yet it recently received a $550 million donation, the largest single gift ever given to any public university in the nation.
Of course, I fully expect to get the typical blistering response from the Blue Raider faithful, but that will only validate what I have been stating all along.

Last edited:
You have got to be 💩 me.
Sadly, I’m not. And after watching those video clips yesterday of our HC and his right hand man and college roommate, I had this mental image of them sitting in their staff meetings laughing and yukking it up about how good they have it at good old MTSU. Zero accountability or expectations. None.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hop45
I'm sorry MTFNBY5 that it has taken you this long to acknowledge the truth about Middle Tennessee State University. When I tried to reveal the truth about the university, I was always vilified on this board. The problems that Middle Tennessee State University has inherited are not all due to its directional name because Western Michigan University also has a direction name, yet it recently received a $550 million donation, the largest single gift ever given to any public university in the nation.
Of course, I fully expect to get the typical blistering response from the Blue Raider faithful, but that will only validate what I have been stating all along.

How in the world did they secure $550 million over 10 years from "anonymous alumni?"

That's crazy! Good for them though. Middle Tennessee couldn't get 10% of that commitment over 10 years if I had to guess.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
How in the world did they secure $550 million over 10 years from "anonymous alumni?"

That's crazy! Good for them though. Middle Tennessee couldn't get 10% of that commitment over 10 years if I had to guess.
They do have some very wealthy alumni.

I've kept my vow to not post for a week and to check in on this forum only once a day. I want to sincerely thank each of you for the "likes" and for the comments. It's gratifying to know that many of you commiserate with me.

To abarnett: Even though your locations are several counties away from me I'm hoping to try to give you some business in a few months. To Blue Raider Lightning: Thanks so much for your appreciation of my post and for your extensive comments. Your post was obviously heartfelt and you made many points much better than I could have.

I would like to paraphrase from a blogger I just read this morning who is drawing back from an activity he has been pursuing for some time: To continue letting Blue Raider fandom be such an important part of my life is "making me stress out over things I can't do anything about". Trying to be a Blue Raider superfan is "pointless masochism".

As I said I'm pulling back but not going away. I have a few comments to make this morning and some posts on things you may have missed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT