ADVERTISEMENT

MT AD Q&A in the DNJ for subscribers

MAssaro says he believes they have 90% of the funding for facility upgrades. He needs to completely open the books.

key excerpt:

"...We’ve got the plan. I think we’ve got funding of about 90% in place. We're in good shape with it. Good things will come out of that. I'm so excited about that. Our fan base will, I hope, be excited about it. They want to see movement and action and we’re ready to provide that."

Reactions: Raiderman1
Upon Massaro completely opening the books: "Oops! I meant we still NEED 90% of the funding. I think we can get funding for about that much with a few well timed bake sales and a new "Plasma Sale Fundraiser" we're rolling out this fall where we challenge all alumni and current students to go sell their plasma and donate all the proceeds to the athletic facilities."

True to form, he makes an announcement where only a sliver of the fanbase and alumni have free access to it. How many folks do you think will subscribe to the DNJ just to read his Q&A’s????

For me….
1) I don’t believe actual hard money in donations is there.
2) Winning and CUSA Titles are what fans “want”.

True to form, he makes an announcement where only a sliver of the fanbase and alumni have free access to it. How many folks do you think will subscribe to the DNJ just to read his Q&A’s????

For me….
1) I don’t believe actual hard money in donations is there.
2) Winning and CUSA Titles are what fans “want”
Massaro’s wording is … vague. Is 90% of the funding for the entire athletic village accounted for or 90% of Phase 1?

And, like you, I have a feeling most of the funding is “student fees.”

That said, when Casey and I had our sit down with Massaro a few years ago, he spoke of a white whale with MTSU connections.

After years and years of hearing and seeing promises, drawings, and video, and no ground being broken, my trust meter is pegged at zero.

My suspicion is that whatever comes of it, in true MT fashion, it will be slap dash, aluminum siding/trailer park 'construction' instead of something solid like we see at some of our athletic peers.

MAssaro says he believes they have 90% of the funding for facility upgrades. He needs to completely open the books.

key excerpt:

"...We’ve got the plan. I think we’ve got funding of about 90% in place. We're in good shape with it. Good things will come out of that. I'm so excited about that. Our fan base will, I hope, be excited about it. They want to see movement and action and we’re ready to provide that."
If you are at 90% why not break ground and start moving dirt?

I fully agree. It's just another reason, I don't trust anything I read about facilities...
right, you can do indoor and football buildings and stadium upgrades with the money, because if people actually saw things getting done. you would be able to raise the rest.

On a funding related topic, recently I was attempting to buy a tire cover for my Jeep and saw NCAA branded tire covers so I went to see if I could purchase a MTSU tire cover and nothing came up. Sadly WKU, Marshall, Memphis, ULM, Louisiana Tech, UAB...hell even Vermont were listed...just no MTSU. Makes you wonder if MTSU is missing out on money because they aren't doing licensing deals for certain products.

On a funding related topic, recently I was attempting to buy a tire cover for my Jeep and saw NCAA branded tire covers so I went to see if I could purchase a MTSU tire cover and nothing came up. Sadly WKU, Marshall, Memphis, ULM, Louisiana Tech, UAB...hell even Vermont were listed...just no MTSU. Makes you wonder if MTSU is missing out on money because they aren't doing licensing deals for certain products.
mcphee should read this.

Do we even have their personnel in office space on our campus?
This is what happens for a low ranking G-5 school when you outsource your branding. Look closely at the headline when you open the link. That guy is no longer there.
LINK:
Learfield MTSU Marketing and Branding

”Blue Raider Sports Properties is the local, dedicated Learfield IMG College team representing Middle Tennessee State University. In complete collaboration with MT Athletics, this team is committed to extending the affinity of the MTSU brand to businesses and corporations of all sizes looking to align with the undeniably loyal and passionate collegiate fan base. As exclusive athletics multimedia rightsholder, Blue Raider Sports Properties manages all aspects of the rights relationship, providing corporate partners both traditional and new media opportunities with the university. They can bolster their brand and garner maximum exposure through inventory such as venue signage; event sponsorships and promotion; corporate hospitality; television; digital engagement and visibility via the official athletics website; and radio game broadcasts and coaches’ shows on Middle Tennessee State Sports Network.”

Last edited:
When i got my Jeep in 2010, my wife went to Raider Tees to see if they had any. I believe she was told they could be ordered, but he had to order something like 25 at a time. He did not think he could seel that many, so it wasn't worth it from a business point of view. Hard to argue that logic....

When i got my Jeep in 2010, my wife went to Raider Tees to see if they had any. I believe she was told they could be ordered, but he had to order something like 25 at a time. He did not think he could seel that many, so it wasn't worth it from a business point of view. Hard to argue that logic....

I remember when they had the Lightning's Locker Room contract. Was 2013 I went to the Marshall game. The one we won 51-49 and it was like single digits by the end of the game. (Of course I stayed jumping up and down while my now wife and daughter sat under a blanket).

The next day I went to Raider Tees and he mentioned just that. That it was really hard with the Nike contract due to them requiring such large minimum orders. Ended up being one reason he quit that and stuck with his own thing. Like you said. Totally understandable business logic. I deal with that in my work too.

You would think the AD would understand that and help with the orders and spreading them across multiple vendors.

One question...
Does anyone know of anyone still subscribed to the DNJ... I don't know of a single family still taking the DNJ... Each person/family said when their coverage locally subsided after being sold, they were very put out and canceled...
Maybe the reason the DNJ was the only information avenue was by design...

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
One question...
Does anyone know of anyone still subscribed to the DNJ... I don't know of a single family still taking the DNJ... Each person/family said when their coverage locally subsided after being sold, they were very put out and canceled...
Maybe the reason the DNJ was the only information avenue was by design...
A guy I work with does. He got in on some special deal for like $1 per month. He did it strictly to get the crossword puzzle. Doesn't care squat about the rest of that rag!

FWIW this article was repeated in the Sunday edition of "The Tennessean". First full length article in the paper on the Blue Raiders in months. Of course, this is a slow news period.

I used to subscribe to the DNJ when I lived in Christiana, but now live in Wisconsin and cancelled my subscription. I will say I hate it when you can subscribe online, but have to call to cancel.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT