ADVERTISEMENT

BRAA Membership Drive

blueraider315

True Blue
Nov 20, 2006
BRAA membership drive is underway. If you haven't renewed for next year, NOW is the time to do it. If you haven't given before, join for as little as $100. Benefits start July 1, 2024 for a full 12-months.

Help the student athletes out by becoming a member or renewing your membership.

No thanks. I’m not giving money to an administration that thinks removing an average coach they kept a decade too long and making an even dumber move by repeating that mistake with a coach that isn’t even close to average. I really wanted to believe they were going to start doing the right things for the fan base and alumni but incompetence always wins the day with incompetent people and I can’t in good conscious give money to that.

I will be making my first visit back to Floyd in six years; however. That I can do. Probably come for the kennesaw game and I know you all have anxiously been awaiting that decision. lol But I’m not financially supporting the slowest moving train wreck in history.

No thanks. I’m not giving money to an administration that thinks removing an average coach they kept a decade too long and making an even dumber move by repeating that mistake with a coach that isn’t even close to average. I really wanted to believe they were going to start doing the right things for the fan base and alumni but incompetence always wins the day with incompetent people and I can’t in good conscious give money to that.

I will be making my first visit back to Floyd in six years; however. That I can do. Probably come for the kennesaw game and I know you all have anxiously been awaiting that decision. lol But I’m not financially supporting the slowest moving train wreck in history.
That’s a fair statement. Glad you’ll be back in Floyd this fall! If they let Nick go after next season would you change your mind with the BRAA?

That’s a fair statement. Glad you’ll be back in Floyd this fall! If they let Nick go after next season would you change your mind with the BRAA?
I gave for nearly 20 years. Spent thousands and thousands on travel/airfare just to go to home games.

I made a sizeable five-year commitment to my other alma mater this spring after that decision for the first time since I graduated in '97, so I'm not going to be itching to give to MT. I need to see either sustainable change in culture or a change in people before I will give again. And what makes you think they will make a change next year if they wouldn't this year? What if he goes 18-13. They'll be like would you look at that marvelous turnaround. That's three + .500 seasons in the past four years.

The issue is not about that one decision. It's that they aren't actually making decisions consistent with what they claim. You can't say we're here to win championships when you hired Mason and then turn around a few months later and retain a coach no other school that's actually trying to win championships would keep. We have a culture at this university of good enough for govt work where the "leadership" attacks and admonishes the fans for demanding more than mediocre. How ungrateful we all are to not see how well they've done at being consistently average. Remember as Rick always said winning is hard. So, who is willing to do the hard work? Well, the tennis people are. WBB. I see flashes of it with the new FB regime, so I'm generally hopeful there.

While I respect the individual coaches and programs that are bucking the trend of this institution's culture, I believe for us to excel (at least the way I would like to see) is where that culture is established at the top and it filters down to each program and if your program fails in spite of that winning culture being instilled well then - that's on you as the head of that program - and we'll make a change and find someone who will fit that culture. At MT we retain average and bad coaches because THAT IS the actual culture that is instilled from the top.

If you want a perfect example of this look to the east over in Knoxville where in spite of multi-million dollar athletic budget they squandered a decade or more with piss poor leadership. Look at what happened there since they removed the dead weight at the top and instilled Randy Boyd as the President and Danny White as the AD. Tennessee is now consistently a top 10 team in football, basketball, and baseball. They had a 60%+ win pct womens BB coach but that didn't fit their culture so they made a change there. The baseball team is currently #1 in the nation. Softball #2 in the nation. Tennis too? Yeah, top 10 advanced to super regional. The point is not to suggest that MT is ever going to be top 10 across multiple sports but look how bad UT has been at most everything for the 10 to 15 years prior to these changes. Even with all that money they were nothing but a terribly run university and athletics dept. There's a lesson in that for me. Which is don't give more money to bad leadership. It never leads to better decisions or outcomes.

I gave for nearly 20 years. Spent thousands and thousands on travel/airfare just to go to home games.

I made a sizeable five-year commitment to my other alma mater this spring after that decision for the first time since I graduated in '97, so I'm not going to be itching to give to MT. I need to see either sustainable change in culture or a change in people before I will give again. And what makes you think they will make a change next year if they wouldn't this year? What if he goes 18-13. They'll be like would you look at that marvelous turnaround. That's three + .500 seasons in the past four years.

The issue is not about that one decision. It's that they aren't actually making decisions consistent with what they claim. You can't say we're here to win championships when you hired Mason and then turn around a few months later and retain a coach no other school that's actually trying to win championships would keep. We have a culture at this university of good enough for govt work where the "leadership" attacks and admonishes the fans for demanding more than mediocre. How ungrateful we all are to not see how well they've done at being consistently average. Remember as Rick always said winning is hard. So, who is willing to do the hard work? Well, the tennis people are. WBB. I see flashes of it with the new FB regime, so I'm generally hopeful there.

While I respect the individual coaches and programs that are bucking the trend of this institution's culture, I believe for us to excel (at least the way I would like to see) is where that culture is established at the top and it filters down to each program and if your program fails in spite of that winning culture being instilled well then - that's on you as the head of that program - and we'll make a change and find someone who will fit that culture. At MT we retain average and bad coaches because THAT IS the actual culture that is instilled from the top.

If you want a perfect example of this look to the east over in Knoxville where in spite of multi-million dollar athletic budget they squandered a decade or more with piss poor leadership. Look at what happened there since they removed the dead weight at the top and instilled Randy Boyd as the President and Danny White as the AD. Tennessee is now consistently a top 10 team in football, basketball, and baseball. They had a 60%+ win pct womens BB coach but that didn't fit their culture so they made a change there. The baseball team is currently #1 in the nation. Softball #2 in the nation. Tennis too? Yeah, top 10 advanced to super regional. The point is not to suggest that MT is ever going to be top 10 across multiple sports but look how bad UT has been at most everything for the 10 to 15 years prior to these changes. Even with all that money they were nothing but a terribly run university and athletics dept. There's a lesson in that for me. Which is don't give more money to bad leadership. It never leads to better decisions or outcomes.
I wasn’t as involved with MTSU or donating as long as you but I did jump in with both feet after graduation in ‘05. I agree with your assessment of the current leadership and their commitment to mediocrity. It’s why I went back to Memphis on Saturdays like you and UTK. They cleaned house in 2012-13 from the President down and since then, FedEx has responded with huge commitments to winning, especially for Tiger Football.

If this were a true sports organization where leaders were held to standards and continually reviewed and compared to their peers for progress, I would have a lot more respect.

The truth is is that these are appointed positions within the organization and making bad decisions after bad decision on our revenue generating coaches.

I hope that they have a stellar year with BRAA memberships but quite frankly, I just don't care.

Last edited:

I'll make an appearance or two at Floyd this fall just because Mason has given me a bit of hope in the football program, but that's all I'll do. No monies will be given to BRAA in the future until we get a change in Prez, AD and BOT head. You can't cure cancer unless the entire tumor is removed along with some surrounding tissue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT