ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Kickoff Event on Saturday

Aug 14, 2021
We need you guys to come out to watch the first full-padded Spring Football practice/scrimmage on Saturday at 12:30 p.m.! All money goes to our new NIL collective, Raiders Rising. Here's more info from Coach Mason:

If you need more info, here's what Sam Doughton put into his weeklly Notebook today:

Join us for the Raiders Rising NIL Kickoff practice on Saturday!

Raiders Rising – the official NIL Collective for MTSU Athletics – will host the "Raiders Rising NIL Kickoff Practice" at Floyd Stadium on Saturday, March 23. Ticket purchasers will get to experience the first full-padded Spring practice and scrimmage for Blue Raider Football under Head Coach Derek Mason. Tickets are $50 for a pair and $35 for a single ticket, with all proceeds from this exclusive event going directly to MTSU student-athletes through Raiders Rising.

This fundraiser, which kicks off the Blue Raider's official partnership with Raiders Rising, begins at 12:30 p.m. with an introduction from Coach Mason followed by a scrimmage at 1:00 p.m., which is closed to the public. With the purchase of tickets, fans will have the opportunity to meet Coach Mason and his staff, watch practice and the scrimmage from the sidelines, interact with the Football student-athletes, and be entered into a raffle to be an Honorary Coach for the Blue & White Spring Game on April 13th. Fans can purchase additional tickets to improve their odds of winning the raffle for $35 each.

Don't miss out on this exciting opportunity to support Blue Raider student-athletes and get an inside look into the MTSU program under Coach Mason's leadership. "I'm so excited about partnering with Raiders Rising to generate more NIL deals for our student-athletes," said Mason. "This Raiders Rising NIL Kickoff Practice on the 23rd is a great way to help Raiders Rising build the funding needed to help us stay competitive in this critical space."

Raiders Rising provides student-athletes from all 17 varsity teams at MTSU with opportunities to build their brands and earn income for their name, image, and likeness. This organization was founded by MTSU alums and former student-athletes and is led by Jonathon McGuire, CEO of McGuire Management Group. "We're really looking forward to this NIL kickoff event on the 23rd," said McGuire. "It will give Blue Raider fans a sneak peek into all the exciting things going on with our Football program and help generate more funds for our collective to distribute to MTSU student-athletes."

To purchase tickets or for more information on how to become a member of this new collective, visit RaidersRising.com. Be sure to follow Raiders Rising on X (formerly Twitter) at @RaidersRising.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Bad timing on the ask.

I don’t blame you, you are doing your job and it’s a different sport. However, I find it somewhat insulting that the athletic program asks/wants resources from fans, but they won’t even publicly address the biggest concern of fans, which is Nick McDevitt.

I wish I could adequately express just how disappointed with our leadership. The lack of transparency and accountability. It is so disappointing.

Reactions: BlueraiderSC
Bad timing on the ask.

I don’t blame you, you are doing your job and it’s a different sport. However, I find it somewhat insulting that the athletic program asks/wants resources from fans, but they won’t even publicly address the biggest concern of fans, which is Nick McDevitt.

I wish I could adequately express just how disappointed with our leadership. The lack of transparency and accountability. It is so disappointing.

Football has nothing to do with basketball.

I also disagree about the "biggest concern"....it's basketball. If I came home from work and they were playing in my basement, I still wouldn't watch.

They're trying to get the new football staff off on the right foot. I wish i could make it in from Knoxville. I don't think we should knock it.

Reactions: AustinLewis
There are issues but what the football program has done so far with D Mase is fantastic. Issues with one sport shouldn't prevent people from supporting another, especially one like this that the $ goes to the players.

$35 is a heck of a deal to watch practice from the sideline. I wish I could make it down. I hope someone takes come good pics!

Football has nothing to do with basketball.

I also disagree about the "biggest concern"....it's basketball. If I came home from work and they were playing in my basement, I still wouldn't watch.

They're trying to get the new football staff off on the right foot. I wish i could make it in from Knoxville. I don't think we should knock it.

Like I said it has nothing to with football and it’s not Lee, I wish he was our AD.

Look at the posts on this board. The biggest concern right now for MT Athletics (today) is McDevitt. Just because you don’t care about basketball doesn’t make it collectively less important at the moment.

I don’t appreciate someone asking to trust/support/give to part of their athletic program while they blatantly show disregard for our opinions on another part of the athletic program they manage.

How hard is it to either fire a coach or make a public statement acknowledging concerns and explaining yourself? If you want my money, you cant bother yourself to even make a statement?

Bad timing on the ask.

Almost feels like a distraction….get people talking and thinking about something else ….

Can you imagine if they secretly extended McDevitt after the last FOIA GoMiddle did thus we don’t know about it ? (And they of course will not tell us shit)

Some crazy times around here

Like I said it has nothing to with football and it’s not Lee, I wish he was our AD.

Look at the posts on this board. The biggest concern right now for MT Athletics (today) is McDevitt. Just because you don’t care about basketball doesn’t make it collectively less important at the moment.

I don’t appreciate someone asking to trust/support/give to part of their athletic program while they blatantly show disregard for our opinions on another part of the athletic program they manage.

How hard is it to either fire a coach or make a public statement acknowledging concerns and explaining yourself? If you want my money, you cant bother yourself to even make a statement?

You're not wrong...for the moment because everyone is basketball crazy - it's march after all..

But at the end of the day, Football drives the bus though, and I do think they deserve some credit for what they've done for football. I don't think it was easy from either a financial standpoint or from personal standpoint to show Stock the door.

I totally understand if basketball is your main thing and that's the scope on how you view how they should be running the AD. If that's the case, then you're totally right on. It's kind of a Stockstill situation as well - 6 years and no tourney - makes it tough to justify a 7th season. I don't even follow BBall, but I think we should be making the tourney at least once every 4-6 years.

I know it's hard and we've been beaten up enough for the past 10+ years, but we can't be so negative that we don't recognize the changes being made for the better. They've clearly tried to get football going and they're making the right moves there. Just my two cents here.

Let's see what happens in BBall. From my limited perusal of the board, it appears that McDevitt has one year left. That's untenable. They either can the guy, or extend him. If they extend him (or did it in secret), feel free to riot.

I get the frustration re: MBB. I really do.

But getting NIL / cooperative is absolutely crucial for Mason’s success at MT, for WBB, and even MBB.

IMO, getting angry about the co-op kick off because MT hasn’t addressed MBB is kinda like a kid getting mad because he got a PS5 & didn’t get the new XBOX as well.

I get the frustration re: MBB. I really do.

But getting NIL / cooperative is absolutely crucial for Mason’s success at MT, for WBB, and even MBB.

IMO, getting angry about the co-op kick off because MT hasn’t addressed MBB is kinda like a kid getting mad because he got a PS5 & didn’t get the new XBOX as well.
I didn’t attend nor will I ever. But I would imagine it was attended similar to a Blue Raider Blitz in Franklin.

Instead of a “wow” hire for football, they hired a Vandy castoff and still no news on how to fix the MBB “problem.”

I didn’t attend nor will I ever. But I would imagine it was attended similar to a Blue Raider Blitz in Franklin.

Instead of a “wow” hire for football, they hired a Vandy castoff and still no news on how to fix the MBB “problem.”
We all have to make decisions on what to do with our time / money. I get that. And MBB is a problem. Won't deny that.

Mason might not be who we might have hired, but he is doing ALL of the right things. He's showing up in the community. He's energetic. He's engaging.

I don't know if he'll win. Or win big here. But he is doing what MT fans have asked.

And, just for fairness, I have my concerns re: Mason. I'm not entirely certain that MT can be successful offensively & keep up with WKU / Liberty running this offense. I could be wrong. I'd be happy to be wrong. Would have preferred to have someone a little more dynamic (think Brohm's offense).

To this point, Mason has exceeded my expectations. And the early returns are promising. Players seem bigger. Stronger. Faster.

FWIW, hiring a castoff isn't always bad. NE hired a Cleveland castoff. A HC that went to playoffs 1 time in 5 years as HC. He won multiple Super Bowls. Andy Reid was fired. He's won a Super Bowl in KC. Same of Pete Carroll.

Or, if you so choose, Lane Kiffin was fired at USC, rehabbed with Saban, won at FAU & is now doing quite well at Ole Miss. Mike Locksley was terrible at New Mexico, rehabbed & is doing a solid job at Maryland.

Reactions: BlueAlpha
I get your take Austin.

Here’s my simple take:

I considered giving with the CDM hire, but their handling McDevitt and not even bothering to make a statement is a big F you to anyone who thinks he should not be our coach. Seriously, how hard would it be for Massaro to write a letter acknowledging fans and discussing his plans for next year? Even if I disagree with him, and I will, I could at least respect him. Instead Massaro’s silence is a big F to our fanbase.

I don’t voluntarily give money to anyone I think makes bad decisions and that tells me to go F myself.

I would like to support CDM and the university more. I love the school. I just can’t with M&M in charge. They’ve had chances to change my opinion, but either don’t care or choose not to bring us back.

I was about as negative towards the Derek Mason hire as anyone could be. However, I have to say that I love everything this guy has done so far. He has already proven me wrong. He brought Boots back y'all. He personally called him and got him to come back.

He and his staff built a refuel station and purchased the nutrition products to go in it and engineered a deal to keep it stocked. He's showing up and out at every Blue Raider event and organization. Stock did NONE of this, especially in the last 7-8 years. As far as being a 180 from Stock, they hit a home run. Mason was the second most successful coach at Vandy in over 40 years and the only coach to have beaten UT 3 times in his tenure. What does all that mean? I gotta give him a chance. I love the work ethic and the level of care so far. The coaching staff is hungry and the S&C guy is over the top good. Having him alone has already made us better.

MBB is another matter. I think CNM should have been fired a while ago but I have no control of that. I think the injuries may have bought him another year. The portal movement should be alarming but again, that's up to Massaro and co.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT