ADVERTISEMENT

I think I'm done with college athletics

Make players employees and collective bargain with TV revenue sharing takes care of antitrust laws.

You can get around Title 9 by making people employees. Revenue generating employees are different than scholarship student athletes. You can hire and negotiate revenue sports and set salary based on revenue. I negotiated a much higher salary as a professor than my colleagues I was hired in with due to my revenue / grant money. Same will apply for athletic department employees. If you employee revenue athletes, then for Title 9 women scholarships athletes will far out number male scholarship athletes. Making some sports employees actually makes you more compliant with title 9.

You can pay employees huge salaries, bring in tons of revenue and maintain non-profit. See Battelle.

You can require student employees to go maintain academics as conditions s for employment.

Insurance and workers compensation will be negotiated as part of collective bargaining with players union that will start.

It doesn’t help MT at all, but moving to employee versus student athletic model helps legality for schools. It’s just they will have to pay and revenue share, which they have been avoiding.

Make players employees and collective bargain with TV revenue sharing takes care of antitrust laws.

You can get around Title 9 by making people employees. Revenue generating employees are different than scholarship student athletes. You can hire and negotiate revenue sports and set salary based on revenue. I negotiated a much higher salary as a professor than my colleagues I was hired in with due to my revenue / grant money. Same will apply for athletic department employees. If you employee revenue athletes, then for Title 9 women scholarships athletes will far out number male scholarship athletes. Making some sports employees actually makes you more compliant with title 9.

You can pay employees huge salaries, bring in tons of revenue and maintain non-profit. See Battelle.

You can require student employees to go maintain academics as conditions s for employment.

Insurance and workers compensation will be negotiated as part of collective bargaining with players union that will start.

It doesn’t help MT at all, but moving to employee versus student athletic model helps legality for schools. It’s just they will have to pay and revenue share, which they have been avoiding.

I used the wrong term by just saying non-profit. What we're really applying to this is the tax exempt status as a 501(c)(3). You can't do any of that in that way and still maintain tax exempt status. To be a 501, you must abide by certain rules to maintain that status. This includes charitable or other entities that provide valuable community services government can't. Types of entities that meet this criteria, among others, include:
  • Hospitals
  • Religious entity
  • Educational institutions
  • Scientific organizations
  • Public safety testing
  • Groups that foster national or international amateur sports competitions
I seriously doubt paid "Football" is going to make the list. Look at that last one. Once you pay players you lose the "amateur" clause and thus your ability to maintain 501 tax exempt status. In fact payment of players is the exact opposite of amateur sports competition.

Last edited:

Not interested.

I'll stick with the pro leagues if I want to watch professional sports. They're much better managed, forced parity, highly competitive, long-term deals for vast majority of players, and on and on.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
I used the wrong term by just saying non-profit. What we're really applying to this is the tax exempt status as a 501(c)(3). You can't do any of that in that way and still maintain tax exempt status. To be a 501, you must abide by certain rules to maintain that status. This includes charitable or other entities that provide valuable community services government can't. Types of entities that meet this criteria, among others, include:
  • Hospitals
  • Religious entity
  • Educational institutions
  • Scientific organizations
  • Public safety testing
  • Groups that foster national or international amateur sports competitions
I seriously doubt paid "Football" is going to make the list. Look at that last one. Once you pay players you lose the "amateur" clause and thus your ability to maintain 501 tax exempt status. In fact payment of players is the exact opposite of amateur sports competition.
That's why one of the many many ideas being floated is that football goes independent under its own entity and those teams "license" their associated school name, colors, and the like. Another part of that floated is that each be sponsored by an NFL team, kinda like AAA baseball.

That would allow them to avoid the whole legal mess of it as the kids wouldn't be getting paid by the school, but by the football conference that is totally independent.

Not saying I support that at all. Just that if the big $ people want to make it work, they'll find a loophole.

Your whole thoughts on a G5 split have me thinking too. I honestly hadn't factored in general exposure as I'll be a fan regardless.

That's why one of the many many ideas being floated is that football goes independent under its own entity and those teams "license" their associated school name, colors, and the like. Another part of that floated is that each be sponsored by an NFL team, kinda like AAA baseball.

That would allow them to avoid the whole legal mess of it as the kids wouldn't be getting paid by the school, but by the football conference that is totally independent.

Not saying I support that at all. Just that if the big $ people want to make it work, they'll find a loophole.

Your whole thoughts on a G5 split have me thinking too. I honestly hadn't factored in general exposure as I'll be a fan regardless.
You’re spot on and explained it better.

That’s what happens at Universities now.

For example, University of Louisville has the main university and there is the separate research UL RBL. The RBL is associated with UL, but a separate entity. PI’s have appointments on main campus and pay for space in the RBL. You wouldn’t realize they are legally 2 different entities, but they are.

There will be entity 1: the university and entity 2: the associated athletic department that hired players.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer

I think CFB might be the best example of how money ruins things.

All that you referenced makes me want to throw up. The one thing that made college football better than the NFL is that it wasn’t the NFL. These people are allowing more than a century’s worth of history and tradition be thrown out the window. What’s next? Will we see stadiums like Neyland, Rose Bowl and the Horseshoe torn down because those schools now need Cowboys style stadium. It really disappoints me so much to see how this is going. I love the fact that college has 40!different offensive philosophies as opposed to the NFLs cookie cutter schemes. Or their cookie cutter stadiums. The parity Wiley mentions creates a homogeneous experience but I like the dichotomy that college football brings. The fact that the players actually have to be students too. And graduate. And that we have student bands. And your average Joe has a class with the schools star QB. All of it are unique experiences this movement to make more money and pay amateur athletes is ultimately going to destroy. They’ll probably eliminate fight songs and other traditions too if they don’t add monetary value. It’s sad..

Weren't the New York Yankees criticized for buying the 2009 World Series? Well that's what the college football "championship" will become now. The "championship" will be bought and paid for each year.

Teams will no longer need "the eye of the tiger" to become champions. They'll just need the biggest payroll.

I think CFB might be the best example of how money ruins things.

All that you referenced makes me want to throw up. The one thing that made college football better than the NFL is that it wasn’t the NFL. These people are allowing more than a century’s worth of history and tradition be thrown out the window. What’s next? Will we see stadiums like Neyland, Rose Bowl and the Horseshoe torn down because those schools now need Cowboys style stadium. It really disappoints me so much to see how this is going. I love the fact that college has 40!different offensive philosophies as opposed to the NFLs cookie cutter schemes. Or their cookie cutter stadiums. The parity Wiley mentions creates a homogeneous experience but I like the dichotomy that college football brings. The fact that the players actually have to be students too. And graduate. And that we have student bands. And your average Joe has a class with the schools star QB. All of it are unique experiences this movement to make more money and pay amateur athletes is ultimately going to destroy. They’ll probably eliminate fight songs and other traditions too if they don’t add monetary value. It’s sad..

Quoted for emphasis.

Weren't the New York Yankees criticized for buying the 2009 World Series? Well that's what the college football "championship" will become now. The "championship" will be bought and paid for each year.

Teams will no longer need "the eye of the tiger" to become champions. They'll just need the biggest payroll.

They did. And there's a huge chunk of sports fans who don't enjoy baseball in the least bit. Me included.

You'll notice when I talked about professional leagues in this post, I always named the NFL and the NBA. Not once did I mention the MLB. Because it's just as boring as college sports has become.

Baseball already sucks and is boring......add in no salary cap rules and all the bogus advantages big market teams get....Yep that's a hard no. I'd rather watch the WNBA.

Somebody make sense of that for me.

Purdy has endorsement deals with the local Toyota and Alaska Airlines. So, he makes more in media earnings (which is what NIL is supposed to be). The thing is about NIL. Aside from freaking Livvy Dunne, I haven't actually see any of these people doing actual endorsement activity. They're just flat out being paid for their name. And not a good use of people's money either. Manning especially. He barely made an appearance anywhere - on the field or off of it - so whoever funded that probably has buyer's remorse.

Purdy has endorsement deals with the local Toyota and Alaska Airlines. So, he makes more in media earnings (which is what NIL is supposed to be). The thing is about NIL. Aside from freaking Livvy Dunne, I haven't actually see any of these people doing actual endorsement activity. They're just flat out being paid for their name. And not a good use of people's money either. Manning especially. He barely made an appearance anywhere - on the field or off of it - so whoever funded that probably has buyer's remorse.
and Purdy will get a performance bonus from the NFL since he is out playing his contract. Brock is not hurting

“College” football and basketball is over as we once knew it. Unless you want to go root for Rhodes or Carson-Newman.

FCS games are now much more appealing. It's more enjoyable to watch the UT Chatts, Austin Peays, North Dakotas, etc

Speaking of college football and basketball being over, I would say the same thing about PRO football and basketball. Check this story out -

And I think one of the reasons the NFL is quickly losing popularity is because of unbelievable stories like this one.

Speaking of college football and basketball being over, I would say the same thing about PRO football and basketball. Check this story out -

The carolina kittens are the worst team in the nfl. Very few people are gonna pay to watch a loser. People support winners.

FCS games are now much more appealing. It's more enjoyable to watch the UT Chatts, Austin Peays, North Dakotas, etc

They got like 3 inches of rain that day, it was 47 degrees with 15mph winds. I wouldn’t go watch a team that was already eliminated from the playoffs either.

Reaction Lol GIF by MOODMAN

I can’t even remember the last Titans home game I attended or when. It’s been years and the skybox tickets were given to me. These days, I might watch a game of interest to me on TV but that’s the extent of my NFL viewership contribution.
Watching Belmont and Ark St. go at it this past week was one of the most enjoyable basketball games I’ve attended in a while. My two tickets, a big box of popcorn and two 16 oz. bottled waters cost me $40.

Reactions: Brew_Raider
I can’t even remember the last Titans home game I attended or when. It’s been years and the skybox tickets were given to me. These days, I might watch a game of interest to me on TV but that’s the extent of my NFL viewership contribution.
Watching Belmont and Ark St. go at it this past week was one of the most enjoyable basketball games I’ve attended in a while. My two tickets, a big box of popcorn and two 16 oz. bottled waters cost me $40.

In comparison to attending NFL, NBA or MLB to college games, college is 10x more enjoyable to watch in person. I know the talent is different, but atmosphere is non-comparable. Give me NCAA super regional game over the Braves in the playoffs, give me Duke - NC St in Cameron Indoor over a NBA finals game in Boston and give me pretty much any rival college football game over Titans or Falcons.

They have a transgender cheerleader on their sidelines, too, so I bet that has a lot to do with the dropoff in attendance too, although they'd never admit it. He's nasty-looking too. U-G-L-Y
So you can tell the difference? If you thought he was hot would you own it? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: RaiderDeez
So you can tell the difference? If you thought he was hot would you own it? 🤣

Haha! Not a chance. I was just pointing out how they picked a VERY ugly transgender dude, even uglier than Bruce Jenner. I miss the days when sports was just sports, but I think them days are long gone unfortunately. I am still hanging on to what little bit is left. For example, I did watch the GT/UCF game earlier tonight and I look forward to the UGA/FSU matchup.

Speaking of college football and basketball being over, I would say the same thing about PRO football and basketball. Check this story out
NDSU is going to be in Johnson City vs ETSU next year. 3rd game of season I think so should still be warm. Only 2hrs away from me and I've got family in Kingsport. Seriously considering going just to watch the Bison. Even with a new coach they never miss a beat.

Reactions: magaraider
NDSU is going to be in Johnson City vs ETSU next year. 3rd game of season I think so should still be warm. Only 2hrs away from me and I've got family in Kingsport. Seriously considering going just to watch the Bison. Even with a new coach they never miss a beat.

If ETSU can be anywhere near competitive, that'd be a game I'd attend. I wouldn't travel to see it unless there was something big on the line, but if it was local to me, I'd go. Those are the types of games I'm attracted to now.

Seriously considering going just to watch the Bison. Even with a new coach they never miss a beat.
We see programs like that in all sports around the country. Boise State was plug-and-play for a long time.

MT has remained strong in men's tennis. Is Dale Short working behind the scenes?

Men's golf is still chugging along after Turnbow stepped down. Is Turnbow working behind the scenes?

Baseball remained strong until a year before John Stanford died. I believe he was the backbone of the program.

Last edited:
The UGA/FSU game was a joke. Currently I'm watching Wisconsin/LSU. On that last Wisconsin TD, two LSU defensive backs put forth such a lackluster effort, I wonder if they're gambling on this game and took Wisconsin and the points.

Bowl games are now nothing more than glorified scrimmages now. NIL has totally demolished what little loyalty was left in the game. It's sad what has happened to college football. I can't believe it's over. It used to be so enjoyable. I can't believe it's over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT