ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee vs Western Kentucky (ESPN3), Homecoming, 1:30PM, Saturday, October 15, 2016

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
game thread, links are a work in progress:

Western Kentucky University
Founded: 1906 Enrollment: 20,171 Undergrad Postgrad
Acceptance rate:
93.3%
Colors: Red and White Nickname: Hilltoppers Mascot: Big Red
Fight song: "Stand up and Cheer" (Fight song of Ohio, WKU, Montana St. and SEMOST)
Series: MT leads 34-30-1
Stadium: Houchens-Smith Stadium (22,113)
Head Coach: Jeff Brohm (Louisville, 1994) Record at WKU: 20-7 (3rd)
2015 Record: 12-2 (8-0) Bowl: Miami Beach
Starters Ret./Lost: 13/12 Lettermen R/L: 55/21

Weather Forecast: Sunny/Clear, 82°/ 10% precip SSW 8 mph

Where: Johnny Red Floyd Stadium, 1500 Greenland Drive, Murfreesboro, TN 37130

Stadium Policies: All bags 14-by-14-by-10 inches and smaller will be allowed into the stadium, and every bag will be checked before patrons are allowed to enter. There will also be separate lines for those without bags.

Television: ESPN3 Play-by-Play: Jake Rose Color, Analyst: Alex Myers, Sideline: Sara Cardona

Radio: PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Wes Counts, WMOT FM 89.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS AM 1450 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 100.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 101.9 (Murfreesboro), WPRT FM 102.5 (Nashville), (TuneIn app)

Streaming: Audio, Video

Live Stats: Sidearm

Newspapers: Daily News, wku Herald, , , ,

Message Boards: HilltopperHaven, wkuInsider,

Blogs: Hilltopper Focus,

Athletic site:
wkusports.com, goblueraiders.com, gameday central

Media Guides:
Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: Western Kentucky 2016 SBNation Preview, 2016 CUSA Football Preview: Western Kentucky Hilltoppers, Western Kentucky 2016 Sports Chat Place College Football Preview, Western Kentucky (Orlando Sentinel #31), Middle Tennessee 2016 SBNation Preview, Middle Tennessee (Orlando Sentinel #63), Middle Tennessee 2016 Season Preview

Game Notes:
WKU game notes, Conference USA Notes, MT game notes

Game Previews: , Western Kentucky vs Middle Tennessee Preview,

Roster: Hilltoppers, Blue Raiders

Twitter: @WKUFootball, @WKUSports, @WKUSportsPics, @zach_greenwell, @MrChadBishop, @WKU_HAF, @BrohmSquad, @ToddStewartWKU, @WKURedWave, @WKUTickets, @JakeWBKO, @TheTowelRackWKU,

Hashtags:
, #BlueRaiders, #MTvsWKU, #BeatWKU, #BTHOWKU, #TrueBlue, #100MilesOfHate

Facebook:
WKUAthletics, WKUFootball

Youtube:
WKUSports,

Instagram:
WKUSports, wku_football

2015 Game Thread: Middle Tennessee @ Western Ky, 11AM, Saturday, October 10, 2015

Last edited:
Too bad this can't be a premier game on a Thursday/Friday night. That was a great game and great exposure for La Tech and WKU last night

As much as it pains me to say it, I have a hard time seeing us win this one. We just never seem to grab the bull by the horns. This is a do-or-die game for WKU and I just don't know if we are going to approach it that way as well.

I hope we can get this "big game" monkey off of our back. I think everyone on this board knows our history with the huge games. Lets hope history doesn't repeat itself.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I hope we can get this "big game" monkey off of our back. I think everyone on this board knows our history with the huge games. Lets hope history doesn't repeat itself.

The curse is bound to break sometime... right!?

The turnovers for WKU are even worse of an issue with them than it is for us and they've done it in just about every game. Miami of Ohio really illustrated that. They are a 0-4 team and WKU barely beats them. Look at the Vandy and LaTech game. They shot themselves in the foot repeatedly.

Defensively, they can defend for a while but after the 3rd quarter, they break down. This has been a constant in every game they've played except Houston Baptist and Rice which are horrible teams.

They are good. Make no mistake. However, they are not last year's team just as last year's Marshall was a far cry from Cato's best season.

It's up to us. LaTech had them beat by a mile and their O and defense let them back into it. If we did get a lead like that, we wouldn't let them back. Our problem is that we haven't had a game except Alabama A&M where we started fast. We just have to hold them in check long enough to heat up and adjust to what they are doing.

Make no mistake. This is going to be a war. We will be a short favorite (3-4 points) at best. It's a must-win game for WKU and Brohm is going to have them ready to go. If we do not match their intensity and commitment to win this game, we will lose.

excerpt:

...The Western Kentucky Hilltoppers will travel to play the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders in a C-USA college football game on Saturday.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders are 4-1 (2-0) this season after beating North Texas by a score of 30-13 in their last game. Middle Tennessee gained over 470 total yards and was able to fight off a pesky North Texas team for the win. The Middle Tennessee offense is averaging 37.6 points per game with 175.8 rushing yards and 352.6 passing yards per game. Brent Stockstill is completing 61.7% of his passes for 1657 yards, 15 touchdowns, and 4 interceptions for Middle Tennessee. I’Tavius Mathers has rushed for 582 yards and 8 touchdowns, while Terelle West has added 119 yards for the Blue Raiders. Richie James has caught 41 passes for 553 yards and 3 scores, while Ty Lee has caught 22 passes for 229 yards and 4 touchdowns for Middle Tennessee. The Middle Tennessee defense is giving up 23 points per game with 150 rushing yards and 220.6 passing yards per game. Darius Harris has led the Middle Tennessee defense with 42 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, and .5 sacks, while Shaq Huff has added 18 tackles, 5 tackles for loss, and 2 sacks. Canon Rooker has gone 7-9 on field goals for Middle Tennessee, with a long of 46 yards.

The Western Kentucky Hilltoppers are 3-3 (1-1) this season after losing to Louisiana Tech by a score of 55-52 in their last game. Western Kentucky allowed over 550 total yards and wasn’t able to complete the 4th quarter comeback. The Western Kentucky offense is averaging 36.5 points per game with 133.3 rushing yards and 325 passing yards per game. Mike White is completing 65.8% of his passes for 1707 yards, 14 touchdowns, and 3 interceptions for Western Kentucky. Anthony Wales has rushed for 424 yards and 6 touchdowns, while Quinton Baker has added 233 yards and 1 touchdown for the Hilltoppers. Taywan Taylor has caught 42 passes for 673 yards and 4 touchdowns, while Nicholas Norris has caught 36 passes for 560 yards and 8 scores for Western Kentucky. The WKU defense is giving up 27.5 points per game with 102.8 rushing yards and 291.2 passing yards per game. Keith Brown has led the Western Kentucky defense with 58 tackles, 6 tackles for loss, and 2.5 sacks, while Joey Iyiegbuniwe has added 28 tackles, 7 tackles for loss, and 3.5 sacks. Skyler Simcox has gone 3-4 on field goals, with a long of 50 yards.

Western Kentucky is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 conference games and 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games. The over is 6-2 in Western Kentucky’s last 8 road games. Middle Tennessee is 0-4-1 ATS in their last 5 October games and 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 conference games. The under is 6-1 in Middle Tennessee’s last 7 conference games. The over is 4-0 in these two teams last 4 meetings.

This should be a very entertaining game to watch, as both teams can score a lot of points. Both teams average over 35 points per game on offense, so which defense will step up? Middle Tennessee has allowed fewer points per game this season, while Western Kentucky gave up 55 points in their last game.....

I just can't stress enough how big of a war this is going to be. The fact that WKU's season is on the line + it's a rivalry game means they're going to give EVERYTHING. I'm deathly afraid we won't match their intensity and pay dearly for it. We better be having our best week of practice this year and be ready to play a full 4 quarters or else it's not going to be a favorable outcome. This game has me very, very worried.

Well if you go read the CUSA board it appears some Western fans don't view us as a rivalry, more of "the next game". These people consider Marshall their big rival

Look for WKU to come out in man and play an almost Manny Diaz-like defense. They're going to pressure us hard, try to throw us off our route timings, and force us into mistakes. If we cannot complete the vertical pass, we are gonna be having fits, but if we can complete that vertical pass, they'll have to back off and we should be able to put them on tilt.

Look for WKU to come out in man and play an almost Manny Diaz-like defense. They're going to pressure us hard, try to throw us off our route timings, and force us into mistakes. If we cannot complete the vertical pass, we are gonna be having fits, but if we can complete that vertical pass, they'll have to back off and we should be able to put them on tilt.
Disagree. If Holt elects to blitz, Franklin will use the screen game and screen game to attack vacated areas of the defense.
I see Holt using stunts to throw off the OL and dropping guys into coverage to eliminate the big play and to force MT to march down the field

Our offense will score points. That WKU defense is not impressive.

But can we stop their offense?

This might be one of those games like 2 years ago where the last team with the ball wins.

Disagree. If Holt elects to blitz, Franklin will use the screen game and screen game to attack vacated areas of the defense.
I see Holt using stunts to throw off the OL and dropping guys into coverage to eliminate the big play and to force MT to march down the field

I don't know why, but this made me think that Kez McCorvey has been the unsung hero this season. Dealing with the injuries we've had at WR he has done a hell of a job. But also, in years past our offense struggled with man under 2 coverage, but we are getting separation from defenders for once. I know folks are high on Franklin, but Kez has been a difference maker this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT