ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee vs Florida Gulf Coast (Stadium), 6:30PM, Tuesday, November 21, 2017

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Round 1:

FLORIDA GULF COAST
Series:
Tied 0-0
Founded: 1997 Enrollment: 14,970
Colors: Emerald Green & Cobalt Blue Nickname: Eagles
Conference: Atlantic Sun
Facility: Alico Arena (4,633)
Head Coach: Joe Dooley George Washington, 1988
FGCU Record: 91-46 (4 seasons) Overall Record: 148-98 (8 seasons)
2016-17 Record: 26-8, 12-2 (1st ASUN) 2017 Postseason: NCAA First Round
Starters R/L: 4/1

Middle Tennessee likes to shoot threes and work the ball inside to their big man Reggie Upshaw.

Reggie is referenced twice in the article...:)!

This will be a very tough game. They have a ton of high-majors transfers on their team.

I will be there. My first MT game in person in several years though I follow them each year. Very excited that I get to bring my dad too. My basketball program gets a week off for thanksgiving so I am taking full advantage. Also a buddy of mine is an assistant at Dunk City. Really cool situation. Can’t wait!

Reactions: C-Bow
So...I'm looking at the channel lineup/guide for Stadium on comcast. For MT/FGCU time slot it has Miami of Ohio at Marshall Football from two months ago..Any explanation here?

fgcuathletics.com:

Perennial Postseason Contenders @FGCU_MBB And Middle Tennessee Clash Tuesday

Matchup: FGCU (2-1) @ Middle Tennessee (3-1)
Ranking: FGCU: #13 – CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Poll
Where: Murfreesboro, Tenn. | Murphy Center (11,520)
When: Tuesday, Nov. 21 | 7:30 PM Eastern (6:30 Local)
TV / Video:Stadium| WatchStadium.com
Talent: Jason Knapp | Tim Scarborough | Rachel Lindsay
Live Stats: SIDEARM Stats
Series: First Meeting
Game Notes: FGCU (Interactive|PDF Printable) | MiddleTennessee
Coaches:Joe Dooley (5th Season @ FGCU – 93-47; 9th Season Overall – 150-99) |Kermit Davis (16th Season @ MT – 310-181; 23rd Season Overall – 447-256)
Twitter:@FGCU_MBB| Snapchat: FGCU_MBB
Facebook:/FGCUMBB| Instagram: @FGCU_MBB

Vegas chose not to put a line up for this one. They've been skipping a lot of games so far this year. Not sure why. They're terrified of one side or the other is usually the reason, so look for a blow out either way maybe

BlackDistortedCamel-max-1mb.gif

Great win. Now let's take the return trip to Florida.

I think this will turn out to be a really good win. FGCU plays in a bad conference and I could honestly see them running the table in it.

Yes, a really good win. For a night just before the kickoff to the holiday with a not so big crowd, the team was aggressive and playing with lots of energy. The guards finally started to really show up and standout. The depth of the team is proving to be an asset.

Who would have thought but MT is an exceptionally good FT shooting team so far this season. That is nice to see especially on nights like this when the refs are blowing the whistles constantly.

On the quality of win, FGCU's roster is loaded with lots of talent and tremendous size. Overall the A-Sun may not be that good, but over time they seem to have one team that stands out way above the rest of the conference. Belmont in the past, and FGCU recently and now.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Ok, excellent win first off. Atmosphere was great, but wasn’t completely packed.

This team could be better than last year’s group by the end of the season. I say “could be” because it all depends on the gelling factor. Nick King is as good as advertised out of high school. You just can’t stop the kid. He is a machine. He sat pretty significant minutes, and still scored at a high clip considering. I love that the staff will jump all over him and really coach him up. You can tell they ride him so he makes smarter decisions so he can be more successful.
We beat a tourney team tonight. I spoke with the buddy of mine who is an assistant at FGCU and he did say the staff feels this is their most talented team they have had. They will win a lot of games this year and have a strong non-conf schedule. They will also have a transfer who is eligible at the end of the semester who is a difference maker.
Giddy is in a tough spot right now. He hasn’t produced the numbers we are used to, but we are seeing more point production from Dixon, Gamble, and Simmons than we expected. Also King is averaging over 20ppg. Giddy will be fine. He hits big shots. It may just be more of the fact that A. He is bringing the ball up more or B. He is forcing shots because he knows his point totals are lower so they aren’t happening inside the rhythm of the offense or C. A combo of A and B.
I am telling you though... IF Walters plays to his potential he is UNSTOPPABLE inside. He manhandled the 2 6-10 240/250 guy’s physically tonight. He really made a couple of silly fouls freshmen tend to make. I believe he is going to get it soon. He is too danged good not to. If Walters does get it, between him, Giddy, and King we could see more than 1 tourney win this year. I’m talking 2nd weekend.
The bench will begin to shorten a bit soon. Shelton-Scmitt is going to be good in the future, but I’m not sure he can physically take the punishment game in and out in the rotation. Gamble has improved SO much since last year which really helps the bench. Sims needs to make the rotation to get Dixon rest, and I think he can do that. I think we have settled on the starters and Hawthorne, Johnson, Simmons, and Gamble as the bench guys. There is a spot for a PG as well off the bench. Right now Shelton-Schmidt has been the other reserve guard.
Let me tell you. This group can be the real deal. We have to figure out each other as a group, but the way this staff manages that has been proven successful.

Reactions: C-Bow
Last night was my first to attend in person this year. Love our depth. And all of our "new" player can play. King scored the quietest 25 points. Potts was more aggressive, I know he missed a bunch early but he will be fine. Dixon scored well in the 2nd Half. Walters is talented but man, he is gonna foul out too much. Sims is a surprise and as someone else stated he needs to be our back up PG.

My only concern is who can spell Walters or Gamble? And we need to get Johnson going.

Thanks Altshauf. Very interesting.... Coach has complimented Gamble some this year which has been rare. I believe his progression is key to having the inside depth we need to make a run. You have definitely pumped up my optimism. Agree that we will be there by the end of the season. If we can get through the preconference schedule at over. 500 then i will be happy.

Solid win against a quality opponent. Not a bad showing for a team that will probably have "double digit losses" this year.

Glad to see the guard play improve. Dixon and Potts were solid. Wish Johnson would stop settling for the long range jumper and drive to the basket. Butler had no answer for that in March. What stuck out to me was Gamble. Getting more physical every game. Worked his butt off on the glass, especially on the offensive end. He and Walters can be a tough 1-2 punch. I will be honest, was expecting more out of Tree this season... Now lets go for the Dunk City sweep.

Wiley- where are you, brother?

If you can overreact based on one game, so can I. It’s a good thing you bookmarked that post. Was last night’s performance more to your liking?

I'm just a guy but from view on the interstate through the FB feed, we look like we have more potential than last year. Kermit has my respect and what he is doing and how he has adapted his game and recruiting is inspiring.

There was an interview with Nick King during halftime that was so good. Such a great ambassador for student athletes.

Speaking of Nick King, he is smooth in scoring a ton of points. Real smooth. He makes it look easy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT