ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Has this already been posted? Brent Stockstill now at FAU?

Brent on the sidelines or in the press box to steal signals when MT and FAU play?

I would not say the FAU program “knows how to win championships.” I will say he is going to be learning under one of the best offensive coaches in the game.

didn't they just win it 2 years ago? more than MT has...dang

I would not say the FAU program “knows how to win championships.” I will say he is going to be learning under one of the best offensive coaches in the game.

Yes sir. FAU Owls were champions of C-USA in 2017. They won Sun Belt in 2007 with Howard Schnellenberger as coach and Rusty Smith as QB. Howard guided the Owls to 1-AA playoffs in 2003 making it to Semifinals (same round as ever for MT in 1984) and lost to Colgate Red Raiders (Colgate lost to Delaware in CG in Chattanooga). FAU Owls picked up three bowl wins along the way, too.

FAU Owls is far from Alabama, USC Trojans, or Notre Dame in historic success, but believe it or not they have scored more championship history than MT over last 15 years. I’d say Brent is in good hands of learning fine offenses and program winning history (albeit short) under Lane.

MT Blue Raiders, on the other hand, needs to show improvement in bringing home championships. Perhaps Dad can get it done, but last year was a big disappointment and this is looking like more of a rebuilding year. Time will tell.

We were getting drubbed by lane last year before we turned it on and they had a couple of mistakes.

I don't think that is going to be the case this year.

Saying a program knows how to win championships implies a culture of winning championships. 2 since 2003 or whenever is not that. Saying it is more than us means nothing.

Regardless of record, Boca Raton isn't the worst place to coach football. I've always wondered why 18 year old kids don't factor in locations like that when planning to spend next four years.
Yea if I am a kid with no ties to either I choose Boca Raton over Murfreesboro.

It means nothing? It means a lot to me. It means we haven’t won a championship with the same coach in 13 years.

Saying a program knows how to win championships implies a culture of winning championships. 2 since 2003 or whenever is not that. Saying it is more than us means nothing.

Last edited:
2 since 2003 or whenever is not that. Saying it is more than us means nothing.

Then, what is the reason we have athletics in the first place from the context of these sentences: Football or any sport? If it means nothing, we could save considerable money in budgets, still have coaches as HPER teachers (at least most of them) and extra money can be put to work in the University endowment for things like medical, dental, and law schools. The sad part would be loss of scholarships and ticket revenue from being FBS or D-1 in lost opportunities and fellowship that athletics draw on Saturdays on a larger scale.

If that be true, by all means, let’s apply at once to be D-3 or NAIA since it truly means nothing! We could have school spirit competing against Cumberland or Lindsey Wilson (the other Blue Raiders) and be champions of character as the NAIA moniker exclaims. Or, we could strive to eventually become Sweet Briar College and mirror their inter murals sports program featuring Lacrosse, Riding, Tennis, and Field Hockey. Their enrollment at last report was something like 319 (and school almost closed a couple years ago, but got a financial reprieve).

Bottom line is the game is played to be won and win championships. Athletics teaches character, poise, determination, sportsmanship, overcoming adversity, and unites the student body into having common school spirit for the place they matriculate or live. For better or worse, championships mean something special to the players, coaches, alumni, and fans in the community. Many have forgotten what the meaning of school spirit in Murfreesboro...sigh.

Last edited:
I was saying that it is not an accomplishment to have more championships than us.

Then, what is the reason we have athletics in the first place from the context of these sentences: Football or any sport? If it means nothing, we could save considerable money in budgets, still have coaches as HPER teachers (at least most of them) and extra money can be put to work in the University endowment for things like medical, dental, and law schools. The sad part would be loss of scholarships and ticket revenue from being FBS or D-1 in lost opportunities and fellowship that athletics draw on Saturdays on a larger scale.

If that be true, by all means, let’s apply at once to be D-3 or NAIA since it truly means nothing! We could have school spirit competing against Cumberland or Lindsey Wilson (the other Blue Raiders) and be champions of character as the NAIA moniker exclaims. Or, we could strive to eventually become Sweet Briar College and mirror their inter murals sports program featuring Lacrosse, Riding, Tennis, and Field Hockey. Their enrollment at last report was something like 319 (and school almost closed a couple years ago, but got a financial reprieve).

Bottom line is the game is played to be won and win championships. Athletics teaches character, poise, determination, sportsmanship, overcoming adversity, and unites the student body into having common school spirit for the place they matriculate or live. For better or worse, championships mean something special to the players, coaches, alumni, and fans in the community. Many have forgotten what the meaning of school spirit in Murfreesboro...sigh.
You overreacted. I have school spirit. Unlike many on this board I still give money and go to games. I could not agree more that the game is played to win championships. If you all could pick up on context clues I was arguing against FAU being a “program that knows how to win championships” not that winning them does not matter. On the note of winning them being why you play we should drop down to FCS where we would have a shot to win National Championships. Will not do that at the FBS level because we will never be chosen to compete for one no matter what we do.

Also only replying to two sentences is purposely taking my words out of context. We technically have two championships in the same amount of time.

You’re trying really hard to prove an impossible point, I’m sorry to say. We just aren’t as good of a football program as FAU. That sucks to say, but it’s true.

Where did I say we were? What point do you think I am trying to make?

As you say, I will make a commentary based on your whole original quote:

FAU Owls has been playing NCAA football since 2001. That means twenty years ago, they did not have a football or semblance of organization (perhaps there was a club or inter mural team that I may not know about—that’s beside the point). They started from zero. They hired a National Championship coach in Howard Schnellenberger who was proven with the Miami Hurricanes. I remember very well their showdown with Nebraska and Tom Osborne and their first NC; watched it on WSMV 4. On the other hand, MT has been playing football officially since 1913 (think it was against Fitzgerald and Clark—not 100% sure but Mutt Webber was coach back then). We have over 100 years of institutional recognition in the sport.

In their time, the FAU Owls has already matched us in championships in their short FBS history and already matched us in depth in the FCS/1AA round within their first five years of existence. We have three years on them in 1A/FBS. Our championships are co-championships earned in 2001 and 2006 and we lost the bowl tiebreaker on both of them. We got waxed in Jonesboro 0-45 when we were contending for another on December 1, 2012. FAU Owls is outright. Our last outright football championship is in the OVC back 1992. We did go bowling in 2006 in Motor City Bowl against CMU, thanks to good fortune. FAU’s bowl record is 3-0, ours is 2-6 in the FBS era (4-8 overall dating from 1956). I could even go on and introduce other migratory FCS teams, like Western, Marshall, UL Monroe who are our peers that have won FCS/1-AA titles, but those aren’t direct comparisons with FAU. Taking that into consideration would illustrate even more missed opportunities for MT that we should have won.

All that said, our football records seem comparable from a history standpoint. However, the FAU Owls would seem have a better edge because of their bowl record in fewer losses and one more win and their championship is outright and they accomplished in slightly less time. We share our two with Troy and North Texas. To say that we are superior would require inclusion of Boots Donnelly’s record and Charles M Murphy’s records of what’s now yesteryear. Part of that time, FAU wasn’t even a institution of higher learning!!! Twenty seven years from an outright football championship...I submit this is Substandard at best, and at worst irresponsible by our athletics leadership in stewardship.

Championships legacies matter. Fan engagement is important to fill the stands. And, revenue is important to improve our facilities and our academics. It’s later than one thinks: the world is passing us by and schools like Florida Atlantic University are on the rise with their alumni. The true test may be to compare us in 2036 when MT is 125 years old: where are the two universities standing then? Don’t be surprised to see more professional programs, football championships, and larger endowments at FAU while we are languishing to get a few dollars and 15 seconds on the weekend sportscast/podcast/ or whatever media technology exists then.

Just where are we going in the years ahead? That’s the big question. I consider it a fair one.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTOleBlue
As you say, I will make a commentary based on your whole original quote:

FAU Owls has been playing NCAA football since 2001. That means twenty years ago, they did not have a football or semblance of organization (perhaps there was a club or inter mural team that I may not know about—that’s beside the point). They started from zero. They hired a National Championship coach in Howard Schnellenberger who was proven with the Miami Hurricanes. I remember very well their showdown with Nebraska and Tom Osborne and their first NC; watched it on WSMV 4. On the other hand, MT has been playing football officially since 1913 (think it was against Fitzgerald and Clark—not 100% sure but Mutt Webber was coach back then). We have over 100 years of institutional recognition in the sport.

In their time, the FAU Owls has already matched us in championships in their short FBS history and already matched us in depth in the FCS/1AA round within their first five years of existence. We have three years on them in 1A/FBS. Our championships are co-championships earned in 2001 and 2006 and we lost the bowl tiebreaker on both of them. We got waxed in Jonesboro 0-45 when we were contending for another on December 1, 2012. FAU Owls is outright. Our last outright football championship is in the OVC back 1992. We did go bowling in 2006 in Motor City Bowl against CMU, thanks to good fortune. FAU’s bowl record is 3-0, ours is 2-6 in the FBS era (4-8 overall dating from 1956). I could even go on and introduce other FCS teams, like Western, Marshall, UL Monroe who are our peers that have won FCS/1-AA titles, but those aren’t direct comparisons with FAU. Taking that into consideration would illustrate more missed opportunities for MT that we should have won.

All that said, our football records seem comparable from a history standpoint. However, the FAU Owls would seem have a better edge because of their bowl record in fewer losses and one more win and their championship is outright and they accomplished in less time. We share our two with Troy and North Texas. To say that we are superior would require inclusion of Boots Donnelly’s record and Charles M Murphy’s records of what’s now yesteryear. Part of that time, FAU wasn’t even a institution of higher learning!!! Twenty seven years from an outright football championship...I submit this is Substandard at best, and at worst irresponsible by our athletics leadership in stewardship.

Championships matter. Fan engagement is important to fill the stands. And, revenue is important to improve our facilities and our academics. It’s later than one thinks: the world is passing us by and schools like Florida Atlantic University are on the rise with their alumni. The true test may be to compare us in 2036 when MT is 125 years old: where are the two universities standing then? Don’t be surprised to see more professional programs, football championships, and larger endowments while we are languishing to get a few dollars and 15 seconds on the weekend sportscast/podcast/ or whatever media technology exists then.

Just where are we going in the years ahead? That’s the big question. I consider it a fair one.
I do not understand why this is hard to understand, but I was not saying we are better or we aren't originally. I was saying I would not consider FAU "a program that knows how to win championships." I did say I think we are a better program, but I can understand why people would disagree. My original comment questioned implying they are a championship caliber program. They have championship caliber talent, but I consider "a program that knows how to win championships" one like UCF. Me saying they are not a program that knows how to win championships does not mean I am saying we are. After 20 years of FBS football it does not matter if you started from scratch or came from a lower level. What is ahead I have no idea. The thread was about Brent being at FAU. It was not about us vs. them. I think Brent is in a great place learning under Lane, but I do not think FAU as a program is a ton better to be at than us as a young coach.

They won a championship in 07? They shared that with Troy. We shared one with Troy the year prior. They won one under Lane but now they lost the best RB they've ever had and was their entire offense. Good luck to em. LOL. FAU also sucked a lot over the last 14 years too. We weren't too envious of them during those 1-3 win seasons.

Lane Kiffin is still a question mark in my mind. His first year is always his best then he fizzles out hard. It's been that way everywhere he's been an HC at. First year is really good. After he gets his team in there and his first year staff bolts, it's a different world. He had roughly the same team last year as he did in 17 and what happens? 5 wins. Briles and the DC took off after year 1. There you go.

Lane probably got Brent so he can beat us. It sounds crazy but Kiffin would do something stupid like that.

If Brent being hired at FAU was what it was (all?) about, as you say, then the question of why FAU is attractive to a young coach is a corollary question. Why: Lane Kiffin? Probably. Weather and Climate? Yes. Facilities? Perhaps. How did FAU Owls get the caliber coach of Lane Kiffin? Opportunity earned by Howard Schnellenberger as he was the architect to the FAU Owls Football program and likely the athletics as it’s known today. And, Lane Kiffin needing a FBS job at the time given his coaching credentials and credibility (good and the bad). Further, sufficient money was there to facilitate the hire. When MTSC won its Tangerine Bowl against Presbyterian College, FAU wasn’t an institution of higher learning. FAU has come a long way in a generation, institutionally. MT has over 100 years in its football and academics and it’s been a much slower climb—too slow at times. We caught up to the 21st century with our facilities. We have richer history and opportunities to build upon, but a lot of greatness and visibility cachet got flushed down the toilet by status quo leadership (see law school). Although we do have our players with flashes of excellence, such as Mr Byard getting a fabulous paycheck, but he is naturally reflecting success as a Titan rather than a Blue Raider in the eyes of the National media (Kudos)! Brent recognizes a good career opportunity when he sees it and he is gaining learning experience in a rising program. Kudos and Congratulations to Brent. Hope he performs well in his endeavors (but not so well in the games against the Blue Raiders)...farewell and hail as they say to a great alumnus!

In twenty years, think looking at FAU Owls (or any migratory FCS to FBS program) is wise to see how we are progressing and what can we do better to bring championships home. What works, what doesn’t, and fix problems that that exist today while preventing problems from sneaking up on us. Will say we have our hands full in a rebuilding year and the many needs to fulfill over the next few years. Many of us will see the results in 2036: I hope we are the rising star of our conference (C-USA or somewhere else), but if things stay the way they are, it doesn’t look as promising as the future that FAU Owls exhibit or likewise with several of our conference mates. One or two might have a chance at the AAC or something promising towards the highest level (BC$, P5 or whatever).

Our leadership should be more proactive and innovative to get consistent high success we need and not be satisfied with mere bowl eligibility or by having just minimums in academic opportunities. I’m not envious of FAU Owls; It is I don’t want MT to be passed by every newbie FBS program that hangs a shingle and builds a new stadium.

I hear you but FAU didn't "pass" us last year. LOL

Lane probably got Brent so he can beat us. It sounds crazy but Kiffin would do something stupid like that.

Or...Lane hired him because Brent is a student of the game, and has made it very clear he wants to coach. Or...maybe Brent wanted to live in Boca for his first coaching gig. Even if, and it is a big if, Kiffin hired him to get inside info for when they play us, I wouldn't call that stupid. People love to hate on Kiffin, but there is more excitement in their program right now than ours, and he is the reason why. Personal stuff aside, you aren't going to be head coach at UT or USC and OC for Nick Saban if you aren't a smart coach.

I am definitely in the minority in these parts, but assuming he as matured in his personal life, I would take Lane Kiffin as head coach right now. Injecting instant life into a stale program, instead of just "competing" or taking solace that we are only +31 pt dogs instead of +41.

Kiffin is already following a pattern that he's established in the past. He's also burned about every bridge there is in the game which is why he didn't get snatched up after the 11 win year and championship. He's toxic and pissed Saban off while exiting out of Bama too. Brent will be a great coach. That's a given. No slight to him.

How is there more excitement at FAU? They won 5 games and no bowl last year. The attendance dropped off. If he doesn't pick it up this year, the Lane train is gonna de-rail. How's he gonna pick it up without Singletary and a 25 year old OC who was clearly in over his last year? You can fawn over him if you want but longevity ain't his strong suit. He's hit and run. Always has been and always will be.

I just hope injuries are at minimum. This will not be pretty. Who knows stock may have more aggressive play calling with the QB.

Good point. What does Brent do when they play MT? He has to know every sign/signal/tendency that Franklin has. Does he just sit in the press box with a direct line to the D Coordinator?

It's not like Franklin is super innovative anymore. Probably the exact same gameplan. :)

Reactions: blueraiderJT
Good point. What does Brent do when they play MT? He has to know every sign/signal/tendency that Franklin has. Does he just sit in the press box with a direct line to the D Coordinator?

It's not like Franklin is super innovative anymore. Probably the exact same gameplan. :)

We could use what he thinks he knows to our advantage. I'm not worried from a scheme standpoint. I'm more worried about what he knows in terms of each players individual weaknesses, especially on the offensive line. (ie. Amir Luckett folds against outside pressure, Ty Lee is easily flustered with press coverage or bracketing, etc. Individual weaknesses, especially at the college level, can really be taken advantage of)

I would really hope that there was an agreement/understanding that when Brent was hired, he would not give any type of inside info to FAU. He seems like a good kid and I would hope he wouldn't do that to his father.

Last edited:
Reactions: playersu12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT