ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee vs FAU, Blackout Game/Hall of Fame, 6PM, Saturday, September 29, 2018

I used one of the complimentary phone charging stations in Floyd. That was cool.

It’s like a safe for your phone while it charges. It’s at different places in the stadium.

I thought the crowd stepped up their game as well. Stayed until the end (well most did) The fans on the "visitor " side next to student section tried to make some noise and get the wave going. Nice to see that. Keep it up. Those Unis were sweet too.
Im going to enjoy this one. I still have questions regarding this staff and AD but this WiN was nice to get and the overall game day experience on Saturday was better. Let's build on that and keep winning
Go Blue

I thought the crowd stepped up their game as well. Stayed until the end (well most did) The fans on the "visitor " side next to student section tried to make some noise and get the wave going. Nice to see that. Keep it up. Those Unis were sweet too.
Im going to enjoy this one. I still have questions regarding this staff and AD but this WiN was nice to get and the overall game day experience on Saturday was better. Let's build on that and keep winning
Go Blue
They weren't doing the wave. They were mocking one of the FAWho strength coaches. He kept throwing his arms up and doing different gestures. 3 entire sections were copying his every move. It was hilarious.

Last edited:
I thought the crowd stepped up their game as well. The fans on the "visitor " side next to student section tried to make some noise and get the wave going. Nice to see that. Keep it up
It did look like our fans were attempting to start the wave but that wasn't the case.

One of the FAU coaches was FIRED UP the whole game. He was constantly bouncing, clapping and throwing his hands in the air. A group of our fans starting mocking him in the 3rd quarter and by the end of the 4th quarter most of the MT fans on the visitor side were mocking him. It was really funny

Reactions: Hop45 and MTOleBlue
It did look like our fans were attempting to start the wave but that wasn't the case.

One of the FAU coaches was FIRED UP the whole game. He was constantly bouncing, clapping and throwing his hands in the air. A group of our fans starting mocking him in the 3rd quarter and by the end of the 4th quarter most of the MT fans on the visitor side were mocking him. It was really funny

I got cha. What ever was going on over there was catchy Loud and made a impact. Looked like you all were having FUN. We need a whole lot more of that. You guys keep it up. Maybe we can get our Blue Hair side to join in.

Last edited:
Something I have NOT seen mentioned as a key to the game was Brad Anderson. He definitely provides a spark to the offense. Super quick, full of energy, plays every play at 100% top speed. Kid plays hard and I think the team feeds off his energy. Need to get him the ball any way we can, as much as we can.

Something I have NOT seen mentioned as a key to the game was Brad Anderson. He definitely provides a spark to the offense. Super quick, full of energy, plays every play at 100% top speed. Kid plays hard and I think the team feeds off his energy. Need to get him the ball any way we can, as much as we can.

I agree, he helps, however, we need to be able to run Thomas much more...Thomas needs to be our #1 back and we should use Anderson in the slot, jet sweep and occasional runs.

Hopefully they were using Thomas sparingly because he was rusty, but if he isn't getting 15-20 carries we typically will not win. He did have 12 carries but 5 of those were at the goal line.

Reactions: Hop45
They weren't doing the wave. They were mocking one of the FAWho strength coaches. He kept throwing his arms up and doing different gestures. 3 entire sections were copying his every move. It was hilarious.

I got cha. What ever was going on over there was catchy Loud and made a impact. Looked like you all were having FUN. We need a whole lot more of that. You guys keep it up. Maybe we can get our Blue Hair side to join in.

That was fun, it was good to have 2HH and The Hayloft back to its old self for a half. Also teasing one of the assistants that had this shield it looked like they made it from materials from a craft store garbage bin. Every time he pointed it wrong the cordinator shoved it and chewed the guy out.

Here's what Lane Kiffin said about the game and the two point play

"...We've found every way possible to lose a game. I mean the film is just mind-blowing and then to lose on the 2-point play. The kid (Middle Tennessee quarterback Brent Stockstill) is basically throwing a Hail Mary. He is not even throwing to the guy that caught it. He doesn't even seem him. He just chucks it up. A very difficult way to lose....."

http://www.fauowlsnest.com/news/view/football/coach-lane-kiffin-2018_6.htm

"...We've found every way possible to lose a game. I mean the film is just mind-blowing and then to lose on the 2-point play. The kid (Middle Tennessee quarterback Brent Stockstill) is basically throwing a Hail Mary. He is not even throwing to the guy that caught it. He doesn't even seem him. He just chucks it up. A very difficult way to lose....."

Hahahaha. Lane can suck it.

Reactions: Hop45

Hahahaha. Lane can suck it.

on wnsr this morning CRS said Kiffin's description of the play was "completely, 100%, inaccurate"

Even some posters here described the play incorrectly...the bottom line it #87 moved to right when everything was covered early in the route's. It worked as designed.

Even some posters here described the play incorrectly...the bottom line it #87 moved to right when everything was covered early in the route's. It worked as designed.

You are the one who described it incorrectly and still continue to do so. I mean seriously you can't say in one sentence the play as designed was completely covered and then say it worked as designed when the two guys who made the play were adlibbing.Go back and listen to Brent in the post game press conference. He even said they got lucky.

I will try to explain the 2-point play again in detail for anyone that wants to read it. Anderson is in the slot closest to the LT. We have three WR to the left (including Anderson). Casey and Lee are to his left on the outside. Smith and Salter on the right side of the formation. They run Smith in motion from the right side of the formation to the left side putting four WR's on the left side of the field at the snap. This - along with the rollout to the left - is all designed to make the defense's eyes and motion move to "their" right and that the play will be in front of Brent on the rollout. When the ball is snapped Anderson chips the DE and is supposed to fall down (he didn't even do that - he stayed on his feet the entire play). By design the defense is supposed to lose Anderson in the fray with all the motion going to their right. Anderson is then supposed to get up and sneak back to the opposite side of the field where he is - ostensibly - supposed to be wide open. Syracuse used to do this so well with the tight ends. Except FAU showed man and then played zone. They also defended the play very well staying at home taking the Anderson option away. Casey initially runs a corner-route toward the back pylon, but the cornerback on that side has the deep or back line dropping all the way back to take the corner away from any slot receiver or a fade by the outside receiver. The other DB and LB on that side stay in the flat taking away Ty Lee who was running Pivot route. This is the perfect goal line route if the defense is in man coverage. Wish we would use it more. Had FAU stayed in man then Brent probably gets Lee wide open before he even has to look back for Anderson. Instead, FAU played zone taking both those two guys away. I'm not sure what route Smith was supposed to run because he basically got held the entire play. He was probably supposed to sit in the zone if that's what the defense played but again he was held by an FAU DB the entire time the play was going on. Salter drags across the back side of the end for two reasons. 1) to make sure there are no DB's lingering for the throwback to Anderson and 2) to sneak into the back of the end zone if Brent can't find anyone else.

Option 1 was Lee most likely on the pivot had they been in man. He was fully covered up by the zone.

Option 2 was Casey on the corner route but where and how he caught it definitely wasn't the play's design. He caught the ball because all routes were covered and they were essentially doing scramble drill. Credit them for doing what they are trained to do in practice when a play breaks down.

Option three was either Smith in zone coverage or Anderson in man. Both were covered. Have to give FAU defense credit aside from the hold on Smith.

Option four was Salter coming across the back line but he never got in the play soon enough.

There were no other options other than Brent buying time and hoping for someone to spring free. Casey realizing his route was covered and Brent was in trouble was able to read Brent's eyes move back toward the center of the field where there was an open space. To say the play worked as designed is ludicrous. Those two guys made a heck of a play when the designed play completely broke down and fell apart. Either way it was a lot of fun!

Reactions: crposton
Ha, remember FAU did this pretty well with the TE against Miami...

Sun Sentinel:

... “It’s been good to get out there and trying to move forward, last closure on that,” FAU coach Lane Kiffin told reporters on Wednesday. “That’s been a very difficult game to deal with it from a player, from a coach standpoint.

“The game can’t come fast enough. … These are the weeks where you can’t wait to get to the next Saturday.”

Middle Tennessee with the Blue Raiders converting a winning 2-point conversion with a wild, floating pass that their receiver came down with in the middle of the end zone.

“There’s a million things, up, 21-3, and then basically everything that could go wrong did go wrong — in [our] control, out of control, crazy referee things, Hail Mary 2-point play,” he said. “That’s been rough to deal with because you can’t get them back.

“All we can do is move forward from that disaster and play better this week against a team that has played really well.” .....

Lane Kiffin: FAU gets 'last closure' on loss as Owls prepare for Old Dominion

I will try to explain the 2-point play again in detail for anyone that wants to read it. Anderson is in the slot closest to the LT. We have three WR to the left (including Anderson). Casey and Lee are to his left on the outside. Smith and Salter on the right side of the formation. They run Smith in motion from the right side of the formation to the left side putting four WR's on the left side of the field at the snap. This - along with the rollout to the left - is all designed to make the defense's eyes and motion move to "their" right and that the play will be in front of Brent on the rollout. When the ball is snapped Anderson chips the DE and is supposed to fall down (he didn't even do that - he stayed on his feet the entire play). By design the defense is supposed to lose Anderson in the fray with all the motion going to their right. Anderson is then supposed to get up and sneak back to the opposite side of the field where he is - ostensibly - supposed to be wide open. Syracuse used to do this so well with the tight ends. Except FAU showed man and then played zone. They also defended the play very well staying at home taking the Anderson option away. Casey initially runs a corner-route toward the back pylon, but the cornerback on that side has the deep or back line dropping all the way back to take the corner away from any slot receiver or a fade by the outside receiver. The other DB and LB on that side stay in the flat taking away Ty Lee who was running Pivot route. This is the perfect goal line route if the defense is in man coverage. Wish we would use it more. Had FAU stayed in man then Brent probably gets Lee wide open before he even has to look back for Anderson. Instead, FAU played zone taking both those two guys away. I'm not sure what route Smith was supposed to run because he basically got held the entire play. He was probably supposed to sit in the zone if that's what the defense played but again he was held by an FAU DB the entire time the play was going on. Salter drags across the back side of the end for two reasons. 1) to make sure there are no DB's lingering for the throwback to Anderson and 2) to sneak into the back of the end zone if Brent can't find anyone else.

Option 1 was Lee most likely on the pivot had they been in man. He was fully covered up by the zone.

Option 2 was Casey on the corner route but where and how he caught it definitely wasn't the play's design. He caught the ball because all routes were covered and they were essentially doing scramble drill. Credit them for doing what they are trained to do in practice when a play breaks down.

Option three was either Smith in zone coverage or Anderson in man. Both were covered. Have to give FAU defense credit aside from the hold on Smith.

Option four was Salter coming across the back line but he never got in the play soon enough.

There were no other options other than Brent buying time and hoping for someone to spring free. Casey realizing his route was covered and Brent was in trouble was able to read Brent's eyes move back toward the center of the field where there was an open space. To say the play worked as designed is ludicrous. Those two guys made a heck of a play when the designed play completely broke down and fell apart. Either way it was a lot of fun!
Perfect description. I could see the play in my mind as I read this.

Great and accurate description. The play was dead. I don't care for Kiffin but he is 100% correct.
I think Kiffin was half correct. He said Brent did not even see Casey and just threw it up. Brent did just throw it up, but I believe he saw Casey going that direction. Either way great play and it does not really matter how it happened. What matters is that it happened.

Stock said that they practiced this 2pt. conversion all week because he knew he would need it. He has film of them running it in practice and said he could provide it to Lane Kiffin if he wants it. Stock was pissed on the radio and I thought it was awesome for him to step up and stand his ground.

Last edited:
I think Kiffin was half correct. He said Brent did not even see Casey and just threw it up. Brent did just throw it up, but I believe he saw Casey going that direction. Either way great play and it does not really matter how it happened. What matters is that it happened.

Brent definitely saw Casey the whole play. If you look at the front view of that play. He led Casey. He may have thrown it a little high but he read Casey on that drift and led him on the outside right. That was a practiced play. You don't just throw that up. You had to have ran that many times. Casey was moving to his left (our right) and the ball was thrown to his upper left shoulder hence being led. That's why Coach Stock was so adamant about it on the radio.

Lee was option 1 but Casey (option 2) had great separation and ran on a straight line in the middle to his left. That's a scripted route. No doubt about it. Stock saw it and released it before he got sacked but he saw it, gave time for it to develop, and threw it to where Casey had the best shot of catching it. It was a little high but Casey was the intended target. Again, he led him.

The side view of the play looks accidental and lucky. The front view looks like it was on purpose and was a scripted play. Again, that's why Stock spoke out the way he did. Kudos to Stock.

Last edited:
Brent definitely saw Casey the whole play. If you look at the front view of that play. He led Casey. He may have thrown it a little high but he read Casey on that drift and led him on the outside right. That was a practiced play. You don't just throw that up. You had to have ran that many times. Casey was moving to his left (our right) and the ball was thrown to his upper left shoulder hence being led. That's why Coach Stock was so adamant about it on the radio.

Lee was option 1 but Casey (option 2) had great separation and ran on a straight line in the middle to his left. That's a scripted route. No doubt about it. Stock saw it and released it before he got sacked but he saw it, gave time for it to develop, and threw it to where Casey had the best shot of catching it. It was a little high but Casey was the intended target. Again, he led him.

The side view of the play looks accidental and lucky. The front view looks like it was on purpose and was a scripted play. Again, that's why Stock spoke out the way he did. Kudos to Stock.
Listen to Brent's post game comments. He saw Casey going the opposite way and knew he had to get rid of the ball. Brent made a good play getting rid of the ball. The play was dead and they executed the scramble drill. GlaD it happeend but there is no way it worked how they drew it up. CRS is full of shite

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT