ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Fired Coaches Thread

He has won in DII, 1AA, and now 1A. Finding a coach who has achieved success at a lower level at several different schools is a sign that they are a solid head coach and that their success isn't the result of a great coordinator or a great program already in place when they took the job.

I can buy into this. Is there a guy out there like this right now?

I can buy into this. Is there a guy out there like this right now?
I don't think so. I think we have to be realistic now. We do not have the facilities yet. We are building them. You need a young guy who has constantly improved his situation despite his resources. This is why I like Scotty Walden for the job. He has grown a culture there in 3 seasons and has improved the record each season. He has brought fans there to watch games as well. More than us frankly. Mack also can be that guy because he had even less resources at NCCU and was dominant in that league. Mack is about 10 years older than Walden but both are dynamic and get results with little. We need that right now frankly. No coach we get is gonna be perfect but both are experienced HC's which was 100% more than what Stock had in HC experience when he first got here.

Craddock has had a lot of success with Troy but it's Troy's DC that has been the hero there. Craddock has not been a HC and being a HC is different. I don't know if he's ready plus he played for Stock. He may feel like a traitor for taking that gig. Massaro knows him which is why he went down there to talk with him which is what I heard. That one would be ok maybe but a lazier hire too. I'd love a guy with zero to little connection to Stock.

I like Pete Shinnick

Good coach but at 58, does he have the ability to connect with this generation? Technology, NIL, Portal. We know Walden and Mack do because of their recruiting ability. Massaro said himself that he wants an over the top ra ra guy who works the portal and can help with NIL. All of that points to a younger out of the box guy. Some of these older dudes that haven't been called up yet just don't resonate with that in my mind.

Jason Simpson is another guy people have mentioned. I'm a no because he's been at Martin about as long as Stock was here and he's not really propelled them. He's not hungry like we need. Walden has already out performed him in 1/8th of the time.

Good coach but at 58, does he have the ability to connect with this generation? Technology, NIL, Portal. We know Walden and Mack do because of their recruiting ability. Massaro said himself that he wants an over the top ra ra guy who works the portal and can help with NIL. All of that points to a younger out of the box guy. Some of these older dudes that haven't been called up yet just don't resonate with that in my mind.

Jason Simpson is another guy people have mentioned. I'm a no because he's been at Martin about as long as Stock was here and he's not really propelled them. He's not hungry like we need. Walden has already out performed him in 1/8th of the time.
Here is one... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Furrey

I like Pete Shinnick

My concern in this situation is age. He will be 59 by the start of the season. I think that's too old to come into FBS. I realize he's the same age as Cignetti was at JMU, but JMU was in a better position having been in two FCS title games in the prior three years with a solid fan base in tact.

Our situation is different. We would need to find a guy like this who started HC early - like 34 or 35 and was in his mid 40s with a decade of proven success. Bottom line is he's older than Scott Shafer. Unfortunately, because of the way the program has been eviscerated through perpetual mediocrity and the apathy that ensued, we do need someone who has more energy than they know what to do with. I don't think you're going to find that in a 60 year old.

But if you can find me someone like this in that age group, I would be for it.

The MT Union is a winning program, the program is very successful, the previous coach was something like 95-6 and now is the DC at Toledo.
I was going to mention precious coach. 95-6 at Mount Union and DC on 11-1 Toledo

Another extremely successful head coach is Brad Spencer.

He has been but they haven’t lost more than 3 games in a season since 2002 (6-4). They’ve only lost 3 games in a season 5 times since then with a lot of 1 loss seasons and national championships with two different coaches. He wins but that culture was already in place way before he got there. Also D3 is no scholarships so I doubt his recruiting is where it needs to be.

Nevada and Fresno St. Now need new coaches.

So just in this week the G5 spots are....

JMU
MTSU
Nevada
Fresno
UTEP
UTSA???? - Traylor fired a warning shot yesterday about the Houston job. He told UTSA to get him more money for assistant coaches and NIL money for the players or he has to go because he can't keep up. If Houston offers, he may go bye bye.

The week before....
Boise St.

Tulane is going to try to keep their HC by throwing money at him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT