ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Fired Coaches Thread

Houston and Indiana both fired their coaches. IU wanted their coach out so bad, they gave a $20 million buyout package. (Note to self: in a future life, be a terrible FBD football head coach)

Will one of our beat writers ask them about coaching changes?
I doubt it.
Here's my thoughts :

I'm ALL for asking the TOUGH questions, but I'm just not sure ASKING the question will actually do good.

If they are going to make changes (HC or staff changes), MT will want to make the announcement. They aren't gonna tell us (or the DNJ) "Hey we're making changes."

At most, we may get a "stay tuned for an announcement about staff..."

Johnathan Smith left Oregon State for Michigan State (along with a reported close to $8m a year).

Houston fired Dana ($14m buyout) hahahaha.
I personally love that one.

There easily will be $200m in buyouts this year counting fired coaches and those poached. Unreal.

Houston and Indiana both fired their coaches. IU wanted their coach out so bad, they gave a $20 million buyout package. (Note to self: in a future life, be a terrible FBD football head coach)

Feel bad for Walt. Hope he can land on his feet. He has admittedly not had good results his last few stops. He's gonna need to do some soul searching.

Last edited:
Here's my thoughts :

I'm ALL for asking the TOUGH questions, but I'm just not sure ASKING the question will actually do good.

If they are going to make changes (HC or staff changes), MT will want to make the announcement. They aren't gonna tell us (or the DNJ) "Hey we're making changes."

At most, we may get a "stay tuned for an announcement about staff..."
At least ask the question. If we get a stay tuned that's more than anytime before.

Can you imagine a REAL newspaper article in the DNJ or Tennessean actually asking questions or writing an editorial questioning M&M?

It'll never happen. The only media outlets that cover and ask questions are a part of their little family. It's actually strategic and smart on their part. If you ask any tough questions or give them a hard time, then they might just pull your credentials and/or remove your access. So the tough questions never come.

At least ask the question. If we get a stay tuned that's more than anytime before.
That’s fair.

Just don’t want you (or others) to get your hopes up that a GoMiddle question leads to change.
Can you imagine a REAL newspaper article in the DNJ or Tennessean actually asking questions or writing an editorial questioning M&M?
We (GoMiddle) have been critical of the program for sometime. This goes back to the pull back the curtain and the various FOIA we’ve done.

But I’ve also tried (perhaps not well enough) to balance it with the good (Lee, Hans, Build Blue and other things).

That’s fair.

Just don’t want you (or others) to get your hopes up that a GoMiddle question leads to change.

We (GoMiddle) have been critical of the program for sometime. This goes back to the pull back the curtain and the various FOIA we’ve done.

But I’ve also tried (perhaps not well enough) to balance it with the good (Lee, Hans, Build Blue and other things).
I have no hope for the current administration.

Michigan St. hired Oregon St.'s HC so Oregon St needs a new coach. Sucks for them since they are out of a P5 spot.

Michigan St. hired Oregon St.'s HC so Oregon St needs a new coach. Sucks for them since they are out of a P5 spot.
Oregon St. 100% did that to themselves. Smith said in an interview he'd known for a while he was leaving. Can't blame him with OSU's future literally up in the air. Horrible on their admin's part.

Would Fisher have to give up the buyout if he took the coaching job? I've seen those types of clauses in contracts before.

Looks like Indiana is close to hiring JMU's coach. They are really going after him.
He has won in DII, 1AA, and now 1A. Finding a coach who has achieved success at a lower level at several different schools is a sign that they are a solid head coach and that their success isn't the result of a great coordinator or a great program already in place when they took the job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT