ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Season Wrap

kingaling42

True Blue
Mar 24, 2018
Avl
Now that we've had some time to vent frustrations to how the season ended, thought it'd be good for a quick wrap up to the season that was and a slight look forward.. it was the first season that MT had consistent guard depth and the difference was significant. The team played really hard and for each other and it was a fun group to root for as fans.

26-11 overall, 24-11 vs D1s, 13-5 in CUSA regular season- East Division Champs, 7-4 non-conf, 4-2 postseason
13-0 at home, 5-9 on road, 6-2 at neutral sites- current streak of 17 home wins is T-7th best in the nation.

Final Rankings: NET 95, RPI 60

Like many young teams MT struggled early in the year to find offensive flow and really took a little longer than I hoped to figure out what good perimeter shots were- but eventually they found overall confidence in the outside shooting.. had the COVID break which coincided with the start of CUSA play but the team responded in a big way reeling off wins in 13 of the next 14 games after that 3 game losing skid.. momentum obviously shifted some when Jefferson went down late.

The teams identified was established on the defensive side of the ball- advanced stats show:
#78th team in defensive ratings (opp points/100 possessions)
#47 in steal %
#45 in block %
#46 in 3pt % allowed
#88 in 2pt % allowed
#58 in overall FG% allowed
Worst defensive stat: #229 in defensive rebounding- some is the scheme (gambling for steals/help/recover/out of position) and some is not boxing out or guys leaking out before the board is secured.

Team was #307 in fouls.. we all knew this was an issue and MT will need improvement/smarter situational play in this area going forward.

Offensively the team ended up figuring things out shooting wise- despite the poor OOC shooting..
#62 in the country in 2 pt %, #125 overall FG %- but #205 in 3 pt % bit the team in a few games, especially that Ole Miss game..
#49 in FT %
#109 in Offensive Rebounding

Major areas for improvement aside from the 3 pt shooting is in the assists area:
#188 in assists/gm
#215 in assist/TO ratio
#220 TO/game
#307 in fouls
I'd like to see more growth/consistency in true road games.

Some roster questions still to be answered with 1 or 2 scholarships in play:
Seniors: Dishman, Jordan
Juniors: Weston, Lawrence, King, Millin, Coleman-Jones
Sophs: Buford, Lenard, Fussell- new additions Jestin Porter, TreVon Smith
Freshmen:

From a position breakdown (in no particular order)
PG: Weston, Porter
SG: Jordan, Smith, King
Wings: Lawrence, Buford, Lenard
BIGS: Dishman, Fussell, Millin, Coleman-Jones

I won't post yet on individual areas for improvement with each player but if Lawrence and King are any indications then the staff and players are doing well in these areas and know what they need to do..

Looking forward to our upcoming posts on player development and perhaps a rundown on the incoming players. If I am correct we have one more to give after Porter and Smith and would like any info on who we are "in on".

I wish Dishman would consider coming back for 1 more year

We desperately need a solid post player that can contribute immediately. Dishman was ok but her was undersized.

Looking forward to our upcoming posts on player development and perhaps a rundown on the incoming players. If I am correct we have one more to give after Porter and Smith and would like any info on who we are "in on".
I don't think we will get much info on who we are in on. This staff keeps things pretty tight lipped and we usually only get an idea if the player tweets they were offered or when they commit. I am sure they are looking at the portal to see who is out there. Especially if Dish does leave.

Early in the season, I thought the injuries might be too much for Dish to return to full form. Who knows, he may have battled through the whole season. Whatever the case, it appeared that around mid-season Dish really overcame those injuries and returned to form. We may never know Dish's personal struggle with his injuries to get back to the top of his game, but count me incredibly impressed whatever the case.

Down the stretch of the season, it appeared to me that Dish was the glue and grit of the team. With Dish seemingly returning to form, it sort of puzzled me why he might end his career with a year of eligibility still remaining. I can only speculate, but it crossed my mind that he may be still battling after effects of the injuries. You know, the extra pain and stiffness after every game that he might have to constantly battle. Most of us older folks know what I'm describing. The type of aches, pains, and stiffness that never even crosses your mind when you are healthy, young, and in your prime. It's merely my speculation, you know, that and a quarter might get you a cup of coffee.

I'm sort of hoping that after tasting some success with this generally young team, some much needed rest and healing, and a few months off that Dish might get that hunger to come back for another year. The chance that this team might even have another even better run this upcoming season just might add to that possible hunger. Also, with other players getting healthy and the possible addition of another post player, Dish could likely play a PF role rather than the C role he played all last season. He would also likely get a few more minutes on the bench resting each game and keeping fresh if there were more help in the frontcourt. With as good as Dish was this past season, imagine what his game would be like if he wasn't facing opposing team's 6-11 post players every game. Then throw in a more fresh 24 mins/game vs the 30+ mins/game he has been playing. The potential is there for one whale of a final season.

I'll respect him if he hangs up the gym shoes, but I am hoping that he returns for what turns out to be a great run next year.

Reactions: Hop45
Couple notes on next year:

1. At the beginning of the 2020-21 season, I was told Dishman would not be interested in returning for a fifth year of playing. The injuries, the fact it would be his SEVENTH year taking classes in college, it made sense. I assumed that was still the case after he participated in senior night.

However, I reached out last week and was told it is not “a stone cold lock” that he would forgo his final year of eligibility, so nothing could be confirmed or denied. I do think his health is going to be factored into the decision. We shall see. I’d still bet on him not returning just on the side of caution, but I am with Duke in thinking he hit his stride in the final weeks of the season and now may hope to prolong it since he got a taste.

2. Porter’s and Smith’s JuCo numbers a very impressive (to me at least). Porter was 9th in PPG in all of NJCAA in the 2021 season. Volume went down but the percentages went up his sophomore year. Smith shot 39% from 3 on almost 150 attempts. I think between them two and Jalen Jordan you have decent replacements for the voids Jefferson and Sims are leaving, and with an improved Cam Weston, I’m pretty satisfied with that guard rotation.

3. Which leads me to say I would not expect anyone special to be filled with the last scholarship spot if all eligible to return do return. Transfer portal is STILL open for 21 days. Glad to see no one has left yet but there’s still time for things to trickle down everywhere and more dominos to fall. So in the event everyone eligible returns... (knocking hard on some wood) I mentioned the guards are in a good spot. Wings/forwards are in a good spot with Lawrence, Lenard, Bufford, Millin, and King. Dish, JCJ, and Fussell is a fine place to be in at center.

Weston being the only natural creator at guard concerns me slightly. Maybe that’s what you look for, but I search almost daily “Middle Tennessee offer” and “MTSU offer” on twitter and see nothing but football stuff. My inclination is the staff is mostly content with trying to run it back with most of the guys from last year, and I think we can agree that’s pretty sound logic.

If Dish does leave I would think they would go to the portal to replace him? When will they know and do they have targets in mind for if he does leave?

My guess (and these are all educated guesses) is center becomes a priority if Dish were to graduate, but a couple things there: 1. It all depends on how sold they are on JCJ and Fussell. 2. This staff doesn’t seem to have interest in traditional centers, and those don’t exactly grow on trees. More likely they bring in a guy to compete instead of take the starting job outright, but anything is possible.

I do think they would have a feel on Dishman soon if not already internally.

Last edited:
... Weston being the only natural creator at guard concerns me slightly. Maybe that’s what you look for, but I search almost daily “Middle Tennessee offer” and “MTSU offer” on twitter and see nothing but football stuff. My inclination is the staff is mostly content with trying to run it back with most of the guys from last year, and I think we can agree that’s pretty sound logic.
This is a good mindset..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT