ADVERTISEMENT

The Nashville Big 5?

ewglenn

Oct 6, 2021
I saw this and thought about if we would ever do something like this. Bridgestone would host, and the teams could be MTSU, Vandy, Belmont, Lipscomb, and TSU. It could be a fun tournament and provide a lot of local coverage.

Example in Philly:

Why not? Vandy might not be totally in love with it, but throw in Austin Peay and... there you go

Take vandy out and make it a mini tournament and make a weekend out of. I say take vandy out because I doubt they'd participate anyway. Winners play each other for city crown ala boston beancup in college hockey.

If you remember the last time we beat down Vandy in Bridgestone we sold 7.5k tickets and Vandy brought maybe 500 fans. Not sure I would even give them a chance to say no way.
I think this is a great idea in Dec when school is out and home crowds are down everywhere. You could call it Music City Madness!

Another possible alternative to consider happening for such an event. If Nashville politics is allowed greater intervention could easily see where they opt-out either MT or Austin Peay's inclusion. I think the Nashville elites would probably go more for a Nashville 4 tourney. Could be wrong, but I could see a 4 team tourney of Vandy, Belmont, Lipscomb, & TSU only as something that Vanderbilt would be more receptive to if we were left out. Politically they could play the "just Nashville schools only" gambit if you want us involved. A Games format being Belmont vs Lipscomb in game 1, followed by Vandy & TSU game 2. Just saying that traditionally the Nashville sports media is more anti vs pro coverage of anything MT or AP compared to those other 4. Combining the fact that private schools such as the above listed schools are typically more chummy with each other while state schools such as MT or AP are probably considered more on the outlier side in comparison. However if I'm wrong in my opinion about the folks to the slight north, I think it would be a great idea for a tourney!

With the lower amount of games we are going to have with the conference getting smaller I think it would be a great event. Local coverage would be great for everyone involved. It would add at least 2-3 games to everyone’s schedule that doesn’t involve traveling all over the place. If Vandy said no we could add APSU and possibly TN Tech if we wanted an even amount of teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTFAN61
or do a battle for TN, Thanksgiving weekend West TN( Tn Tech, UT, ETSU,Chatt) Middle (TSU, Lipscomb, MTSU, Belmont) West(Vandy, Memphis, Peay and UTM) and the winners face off in Christmas week instead of paying them naia or d2 teams.

Reactions: MTFAN61
I think it’s a great idea! It would seem the Nashville Sports Council, a non-profit charged with driving sporting events and generating economic impact, would be the logical first step. Which would be beneficial for MT, as you aren’t relying on Comatose Chris to get this off the ground.
As others have correctly pointed out, there is no shortage of iterations a tournament of this type could look like. I always believed in making people/organizations say no to opportunities. If Vandy said no, Memphis might jump at the chance.
Given what their website says is their main reasons to be in existence, a little disappointing they haven’t tried putting their collective weight behind something like this. I don’t live in TN, so no idea how active/effective the NSC is?
Great idea, just needs leadership from people/organizations that can get the right people engaged to bring it from idea to reality.

The fact Vandy and/or Memphis might scoff at this really shows how out of touch they are. Villanova has multiple national championships in MBB and they play ball. It just makes sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT