ADVERTISEMENT

Minor League Baseball

1) The area barely supports MTSU athletics, so this will only hurt the programs

2) How about a couple ice sheets instead? I'm sure MTSU club hockey would love local games and the high schools could have a couple of joint teams.

3) "Non Allifiated AA Team" isn't a thing since all MiLB teams must have parent clubs. There are several independent baseball circuits but none have footprints in the south. There are some summer collegiate leagues nearby, but they could easily play at Reese Field.

Would rather be a Single A affiliate as compared to AA independent. Murfreesboro may get it, but I don't anticipate much interest without a branded affiliation with a major league franchise.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
1) The area barely supports MTSU athletics, so this will only hurt the programs

2) How about a couple ice sheets instead? I'm sure MTSU club hockey would love local games and the high schools could have a couple of joint teams.

3) "Non Allifiated AA Team" isn't a thing since all MiLB teams must have parent clubs. There are several independent baseball circuits but none have footprints in the south. There are some summer collegiate leagues nearby, but they could easily play at Reese Field.
With the Preds building so many rinks, I'm shocked MT / city / Preds haven't joined forces for a rink.

I have ... reservations if the city can legitimate support MT AND AA baseball.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
I share that concern.

If they're going to do it, I'd rather see that baseball facility across the interstate, maybe near 840 and 24 for access purposes and away from the campus. But will the PTBs show any real concern about MT, somehow I think that won't be a factor. Just as with the university, not real thrilled about the power structures' decision making.

I share that concern.

If they're going to do it, I'd rather see that baseball facility across the interstate, maybe near 840 and 24 for access purposes and away from the campus. But will the PTBs show any real concern about MT, somehow I think that won't be a factor. Just as with the university, not real thrilled about the power structures' decision making.
FWIW, I like putting it downtown / near downtown. Should help with downtown life.

I'm curious if city / university / minor league club ownership could strike a deal that would allow MT to play there or renovate / expand existing MT baseball stadium to make it a minor league stadium.

An "on-campus" minor league stadium (5-6k seats) with ~60 AA games & 20 MT BB games could help with campus life / off campus life (especially if they could get some private investment in the MT Blvd / Greenland side of campus.

Did a quick read up on independent minor league baseball for those interested. Was wondering about sustainability, & the possibility of a franchise folding after a couple of years.

There are currently 77 independent baseball teams throughout the US, & 8 independent baseball leagues. There are varying numbers of teams per league. Most independent baseball players earn between $550 - $1,000 a month. Rosters are approximately 25-28 players. Many MiLB parks have seating capacity in the 2,000 - 3,000 seat range. However seating capacity depending upon the venue can vary for some parks as low as 1,000 seats to a few larger parks in the 6,000 - 8,000 seat range.
These are leagues for young men while having a fairly long shot of playing major league baseball still have the dream. They usually rely on secondary jobs or foster families in the vicinity willing to take them in who can render needed assistance. The families are not paid. Their benefit is to know they may have assisted an unknown young man one summer who may possibly become a major league baseball player or star.
A franchise's success is strongly based on the ownership group's financial strength. There traditionally are no television or media contracts. And of course a team's viability relies greatly upon the community interest based on ticket & merchandise sales.
Interesting little article.

Would this be an affiliate or independent? Shane said both in his clarification statement.

The way I read it is that it's an affiliated minor league team that's independent, aka not owned by parent club. For reference, atlanta braves own all their minor league clubs except the low-a team.

Would rather be a Single A affiliate as compared to AA independent. Murfreesboro may get it, but I don't anticipate much interest without a branded affiliation with a major league franchise.
So, it wouldn't be affiliated with any MLB team? If that is the case, I'd prefer any level of baseball, just be affiliated.

Reactions: Hop45
With the Preds building so many rinks, I'm shocked MT / city / Preds haven't joined forces for a rink.

I have ... reservations if the city can legitimate support MT AND AA baseball.
I still would like to see MT have a sponsored Ice Hockey team, men's and women's for title 9; don't they have to have equal number of teams for each? Only school in south with a women's hockey team.

Does anyone have an update on the Legacy Sports Complex that was announced for Broad and 840?
The Legacy Sports Complex plan unfortunately folded. Murfreesboro was to be the 2nd complex opened after the original in Arizona began operation.
The Arizona complex was unfortunately a financial failure causing the company to go belly up, & allowing no subsequent funding for the Murfreesboro complex. No word on what's to become of the land. Imagine it's still retained by original owner awaiting for the next offer.

The Legacy Sports Complex plan unfortunately folded. Murfreesboro was to be the 2nd complex opened after the original in Arizona began operation.
The Arizona complex was unfortunately a financial failure causing the company to go belly up, & allowing no subsequent funding for the Murfreesboro complex. No word on what's to become of the land. Imagine it's still retained by original owner awaiting for the next offer.
It’s not completely dead. They are still working on financials but it’s 75% not going to happen. The Hord family still owns the property so they would be the ones to decide on the future of the land if Legacy Sports falls through.

I'm as big a baseball fan as anyone, but the draw in the minor leagues for me is the fact that you get to see the up and coming prospects. I usually go and fry at the Smokies stadium a couple of times a year if a big time top 100 prospect is going to play there.

I'm not sure I get the appeal of independent ball. There's some interesting college leagues that happen every so often (Cape Cod league), if they can do something like that it might be worth watching.

This is an affiliate. They would be affiliated with a MLB team but they would not be owned by the team.

Where would they slot in in the traditional A-AA-AAA tiers?

MLB used to have a ton of cool leagues - rookie leagues, short season leagues, leagues for draftees, etc. They got rid of all of them.

That is correct, it’s a AA team.

I could see that happening if Nashville gets a MLB team.

They like to have their minor leagues relatively close - i.e. the Braves have Gwinnett and Augusta. The Clevelands have Columbus and Akron as their AAA and AA affiliates.

So what will happen to the Sounds if Nashville does get the Stars? I mean they've got a new stadium, so what haooens to it? From what I've read the Stars will build across from TSU.

Just saw a WKRN article. Investor is a developer from Arizona named Jason Rose. He doesn't want to destroy or move Cannonsburgh. He wants to build a 4,500 seat AA baseball stadium adjacent to Cannonsburgh incorporating the antiquity of the village to the park. He does not want to spend money on a parking lot. Fans would have to find their own parking down town & make their way to the park. He wants to create an ownership group of investors out of Murfreesboro & from apparently anywhere else who is willing to put in some money. Oh by the way, since the property is city owned Rose wants the city to build the Park out of city funds. And from there the group would pay a monthly lease to use the park for the AA team.
I didn't read if he wanted the city to pay for the team uniforms. Hahaha

Just saw a WKRN article. Investor is a developer from Arizona named Jason Rose. He doesn't want to destroy or move Cannonsburgh. He wants to build a 4,500 seat AA baseball stadium adjacent to Cannonsburgh incorporating the antiquity of the village to the park. He does not want to spend money on a parking lot. Fans would have to find their own parking down town & make their way to the park. He wants to create an ownership group of investors out of Murfreesboro & from apparently anywhere else who is willing to put in some money. Oh by the way, since the property is city owned Rose wants the city to build the Park out of city funds. And from there the group would pay a monthly lease to use the park for the AA team.
I didn't read if he wanted the city to pay for the team uniforms. Hahaha
Thanks for that info. Since this all came about, there has been a huge public outcry to keep Cannonsburg in place. All along, I wondered why move it? Instead, incorporate it! Glad to hear this is an idea and theoretically, there is still room for parking (lot or garage) if they took the whole block to Church Steet as part of this project, which is what I understand they (the city) plan to do. In fact, I believe the city has already been buying up property in "The Bottoms" area as it was so named years ago because the flood waters collected there. Because of this, which includes the unearthing of a creek that runs from the Discovery Center to Cannonsburg, I think this is a plan that has been hatched well before the public announcement. With the development across the road that includes walkways over Broad Street, I have a hard time believing they didn't already have this in the works.

Reactions: MTFAN61
From today's meeting before any decision can be made a memorandum of understanding must be approved. City council is hoping the memorandum will be approved within the next couple of weeks with a goal of having a team & park by April 2026.

From my experience working in scouting and player development and both spring training, high A and AA ballparks, I would say AA is better than AAA particularly if you're interested in prospects and seeing the next greats before they're great.

A lot of prospects actually get the call from AA and don't necessarily have to go to AAA. That's always nothing more than roster management with respect to what level they're at before they get the call to the Show.

AAA is used a lot more for players who could fill a roster spot - as needed on the big league club - if the need arises due to injury, suspension, etc. So, you get a lot a journeyman B-level talents that get optioned to AAA and or shuttle back and forth. Generally, if you want the best shot at seeing the star before the stat it's in AA ball.

Winning is an irrelevant factor - which unfortunately is the worst thing about minor league baseball.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
From my experience working in scouting and player development and both spring training, high A and AA ballparks, I would say AA is better than AAA particularly if you're interested in prospects and seeing the next greats before they're great.

A lot of prospects actually get the call from AA and don't necessarily have to go to AAA. That's always nothing more than roster management with respect to what level they're at before they get the call to the Show.

AAA is used a lot more for players who could fill a roster spot - as needed on the big league club - if the need arises due to injury, suspension, etc. So, you get a lot a journeyman B-level talents that get optioned to AAA and or shuttle back and forth. Generally, if you want the best shot at seeing the star before the stat it's in AA ball.

Winning is an irrelevant factor - which unfortunately is the worst thing about minor league baseball.
Very true. If memory serves right a couple of great AA players with the Sounds were Willie McGee & Don Mattingly. The Sounds most electric up & coming talent was definitely during the original AA days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT