ADVERTISEMENT

CFP approves 5+7 model for playoffs going forward...

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012

The College Football Playoff board of managers unanimously approved a model that will guarantee the five highest-ranked conference champions' inclusion in the expanded 12-team field this fall, along with the next seven highest-ranked teams, the CFP announced Tuesday.

Not exactly sure how this impacts the G5. At first glance, doesn't seem too bad if it stays this way. The problems for schools like us going forward, in my opinion, will be NIL dollars and the transfer portal essentially turning us into a glorified JUCO. This is especially problematic for schools like us that are perennially broke and struggle to pay for things as is, much less additional $$$ for the players.

My guess is in the end there will be the G5 auto bid and possibly one more from the G5. The remaining 5 at large will be SEC or B10.
So 10, maybe 11 every year will be P4.
This ain't progress for us.

• Sad
Reactions: SpaceRaider
What's sad is this required unanimous approval from all 11 (10 plus ND). So the G5 commissioners approved this. But, if they hadn't, most likely we'd be relegated to a new division. Which still may happen anyway but this staves it off for a bit.

I still think the season should drop back to 11 games, then 14 teams in playoffs. 10 conference champs (or 9 depending on P12) champs and 4/5 at large. Every conf champ should make it.

One can dream.

In the mean time, I think the G5 conferences need to get with specific bowls and have the four champs that are left out play. A MAC champ vs SBC champ is much better than random teams.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
In the mean time, I think the G5 conferences need to get with specific bowls and have the four champs that are left out play. A MAC champ vs SBC champ is much better than random teams.

I agree. I think they need to trim some fat with the bowl games and focus more on quality. And really try to get good match ups that people will want to watch and attend. Like you said, a SBC champ vs. MAC champ....AAC runner up vs. CUSA runner up, etc.

I think the new playoff thing is pretty fair honestly. There's nothing super exclusionary towards the G5. It simply says Top 5 ranked Conference Champions + 7 at-larges. There's no language in there that discriminates against us. I'd be willing to bet that in some scenarios in previous years that multiple G5 teams would have qualified.

And then there's actually a chance to win a national title (It'll never happen, but theoretically) if a G5 makes the playoff and wins the whole thing. That was never even a thought previously.

We will have to see how the money shakes out. That's what's hurting schools like us the most. We are broke and players can be paid now + leave whenever they want. This is such a bad combination for someone like us because anyone who can command some $$$ is just going to leave.... So how exactly can we hang on to our best players ? (Answer is we are gonna have to start paying them)

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT