ADVERTISEMENT

What else can we do to grow exposure..

I think - and don't quote me here - because it's been a LONG time here's why MT has the Pegasus :

1) Horse : Connection to MT's Ag program and the local horse industry
2) Wings : Connection to MT's Aerospace program
3) Lightning (by nostrils) : Connection to MT's Comm program

Additionally, located just outside the "Athens of the South", MT's use of a Greek mythological figure makes sense.

Honestly, I don't have a HUGE issue with Blue Raiders or Pegesus, but the logo looks OLD. Dated. Needs an update IMO. University and AD need to rebrand to use the same font in ALL material, the same letterhead, and the same terminology.

MT needs to be the University of Middle Tennessee.
Austin, or anyone else, correct me if I'm wrong. But, when the push to rename to UMT was on, TSU was upset that MT would become "The" University of Middle Tennessee. The main school in the area, which it passed TSU long ago and has become the primary university locally. Anyway, something along those lines.

Is anyone or the school considering pushing the name change again in the near future? I totally agree and would like to see the school rebrand to the UMT name. It would probably create some new buzz from that alone, IMO.

Does anyone know the process to make the change since we no longer fall under the TBR?

Reactions: ewglenn
I think - and don't quote me here - because it's been a LONG time here's why MT has the Pegasus :

1) Horse : Connection to MT's Ag program and the local horse industry
2) Wings : Connection to MT's Aerospace program
3) Lightning (by nostrils) : Connection to MT's Comm program

Additionally, located just outside the "Athens of the South", MT's use of a Greek mythological figure makes sense.

Honestly, I don't have a HUGE issue with Blue Raiders or Pegesus, but the logo looks OLD. Dated. Needs an update IMO. University and AD need to rebrand to use the same font in ALL material, the same letterhead, and the same terminology.

MT needs to be the University of Middle Tennessee.

Not bad. To be honest though, I think we need to pick one and go all in. If it's a horse due to the Ag - lean into it. If you want it to be the aviation links - that's cool as well. Personally, i'd go with the aviation link - everyone has an Ag school and a comm school. Not everyone has it's own FAA recognized flight training program with its own fleet of airplanes. But whatever it is, a re-brand is essential.

Most programs, both college and pro, are changing things up from time to time (unless you have a history like an Alabama or something like that). I can't remember any new MT logo gear, or anything new with MT branding since I was a student back in '05.

Want more exposure? - Complete a full-rebrand:

1. MTSU needs to be UMT. I know there's some politics here, but make it happen.
2. New coaching staff - yeah, yeah, I know. But one of the reasons we have no exposure is the fact that it's literally been the same thing for almost two decades. The fans aren't even paying attention anymore, there's no reason for the media, the casuals, or anyone to pay attention at this point. Something, anything different is needed to pique interest.
3. New logos, new mascot, new helmets, new unis, new everything. They need a complete break from the last two decades of mind-numbing mediocrity.

Sell all new everything.

Not bad. To be honest though, I think we need to pick one and go all in. If it's a horse due to the Ag - lean into it. If you want it to be the aviation links - that's cool as well. Personally, i'd go with the aviation link - everyone has an Ag school and a comm school. Not everyone has it's own FAA recognized flight training program with its own fleet of airplanes. But whatever it is, a re-brand is essential.

Most programs, both college and pro, are changing things up from time to time (unless you have a history like an Alabama or something like that). I can't remember any new MT logo gear, or anything new with MT branding since I was a student back in '05.

Want more exposure? - Complete a full-rebrand:

1. MTSU needs to be UMT. I know there's some politics here, but make it happen.
2. New coaching staff - yeah, yeah, I know. But one of the reasons we have no exposure is the fact that it's literally been the same thing for almost two decades. The fans aren't even paying attention anymore, there's no reason for the media, the casuals, or anyone to pay attention at this point. Something, anything different is needed to pique interest.
3. New logos, new mascot, new helmets, new unis, new everything. They need a complete break from the last two decades of mind-numbing mediocrity.

Sell all new everything.
I'm all for the above, except for the block MT as I've said before. And not just because I like it.

I'd really prefer my tattoo to never go out of date. 🤣

Reactions: MT Glenn
If football is "the front porch of the university" we really need to clean our front porch. That would help more than anything.
This would require MT to have a president that understands that football is the front porch to the university and an opportunity to engage students, alumni, fans, and the community & not just a really expensive exercise science department

Austin, or anyone else, correct me if I'm wrong. But, when the push to rename to UMT was on, TSU was upset that MT would become "The" University of Middle Tennessee. The main school in the area, which it passed TSU long ago and has become the primary university locally. Anyway, something along those lines.

Is anyone or the school considering pushing the name change again in the near future? I totally agree and would like to see the school rebrand to the UMT name. It would probably create some new buzz from that alone, IMO.

Does anyone know the process to make the change since we no longer fall under the TBR?
I'll bite : I don't know.

But, from what I understand, I don't expect a rebranding / renaming under the current administration.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Having separate athletic and academic logos is common, just look at Virginia Tech. But also, look at WVU. Tennessee. Especially with us being G5, I agree. We need a constant.

What is ironic speaking of the horse looking dated is that according to the branding guide, the horse over the old endzone Blue Raiders font is retired. Yet we still have it on gates going in to the locker room. I think that is the entrance they are on.

MT with pegasus on field (primary logo) without it on back of scoreboard (branding guide secondary logo).

Like you said, no consistency.

The "secondary" logo should be the only one used.
And to add to the inconsistency, the font for the endzone lettering doesn't match the logo. Just weird man. Inconsistent.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
The University of Middle Tennessee was chosen as the new name by a student body vote when I was a student (1988 or 1989). Not long after, a well-known alumnus told me that they had gathered enough money to buy the Nashville School of Law.

Of course, here we are, more than thirty years later, with neither and a school president who is preoccupied with his pecker and inventing undergraduate programs for tsu.

An explanation from Goblueraiders.com

Legend of Lightning

In Greek mythology, the winged horse possessed superior cunning and speed. The thundering horse of the gods was entrusted to carry awesome lightning bolts and could only be harnessed by a noble being with a pure heart. Character, talent, and strength were required to mount and ride the fabled winged horse.

Today, this winged horse is a fitting symbol of a university that has earned its wings and excels in many academic arenas, including historic preservation, teacher training, aerospace, political science, horse science, and recording industry.

But the winged horse is more than a symbol of physical accomplishment; it's also a symbol of character and the responsible wielding of power.

The challenge of all great universities and university athletic departments is to help student-athletes build character as well as strength. This winged horse, Lightning, is a symbol to Middle Tennessee students, athletes, and alumni of the soaring school spirit they experience at sporting events.

For its nobility and character, the winged horse was immortalized in the stars. Now, with breathtaking speed and thundering, unbridled power, Lightning strikes, forevermore, fear in the hearts of Blue Raider opponents and leads Middle Tennessee to victory!

The mascot itself looks pathetic roaming around. Makes me think a 100lb soak and wet person is in it and can barely keep that damn head on.

I'm all for a complete rebranding. I like the idea of having it tied to the aerospace program, entirely.

Have they ever thought of having seniors do a fly-by in the Diamonds. A few select few seniors get to do it each year. Kind of like yell leaders or something at A&M. Have some experienced IP's in with them.
I don't necessarily hate the pegasus being our mascot but the current mascot looks sad. The various versions of the head have been horrible in recent years, and at some point they removed the wings and put a jersey on it so now we just have a blue horse.

It was particularly sad yesterday when the horse helped lead the team out of the tunnel in front of 1,000 fans with the American flag and went down for the count tumbling on the turf. I keep thinking we'll see a video of it.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Only monkey wrench for Liberty is a possible bidding war with Auburn for their coaches services. Depends on his loyalty if Auburn comes calling. If so, he would be wise to stay put

Hugh Freeze is hardly unique. $5M a year can attract a lot of quality coaches that could do really well with the budget Liberty would give them to go out and dominate.

I hate that we share a conference with them, but facts are facts.

Hugh Freeze is hardly unique. $5M a year can attract a lot of quality coaches that could do really well with the budget Liberty would give them to go out and dominate.

I hate that we share a conference with them, but facts are facts.
Liberty would never handcuff themselves to a career .500 Head Football Coach for over a million a year for 20 years. I will never understand it.

Liberty would never handcuff themselves to a career .500 Head Football Coach for over a million a year for 20 years. I will never understand it.
No school would. Oh, well wait. Yeah. Us.

WVU just fired their AD this morning which means Brown is gone too. At least one of my schools doesn't accept .500 or less. Or giving extensions for .500 with huge buyouts.

Hint hint wink wink nudge nudge.

FWIW, Turner Gill was there 6 years & won 54% of his games. Got canned after 3 straight seasons of 6 wins.
He wasn’t “canned”. They actually moved him into another role within the AD before he left LU. Liberty really was torn over what to do with him. It was also 7 seasons if we’re nitpicking.

He wasn’t “canned”. They actually moved him into another role within the AD before he left LU. Liberty really was torn over what to do with him. It was also 7 seasons if we’re nitpicking.
Gill was the Executive Director of Student-Athlete and Staff Development at Arkansas. This would be perfect for stuckstill.

It was particularly sad yesterday when the horse helped lead the team out of the tunnel in front of 1,000 fans with the American flag and went down for the count tumbling on the turf. I keep thinking we'll see a video of it.
Well, it wasn't the mascot against FAU. Instead, the Tee Shirt Cannon took a spill. In the second half the ATV came out of the tunnel pulling the trailer that had the cannon and two operators on it. Unfortunately, as it made the turn to face the crowd, the trailer disconnected from the ATV and flipped over. The cannon and two trailer occupants all went tumbling. One of the men layed on the turf for a bit before he walked off the field holding his head. Hope he wasn't seriously hurt.

Well, it wasn't the mascot against FAU. Instead, the Tee Shirt Cannon took a spill. In the second half the ATV came out of the tunnel pulling the trailer that had the cannon and two operators on it. Unfortunately, as it made the turn to face the crowd, the trailer disconnected from the ATV and flipped over. The cannon and two trailer occupants all went tumbling. One of the men layed on the turf for a bit before he walked off the field holding his head. Hope he wasn't seriously hurt.
I think he was okay. What worried me was after the game. Got blocked walked out the stadium as the team was leaving the field. They spread us out for an emergency on the field then an ambulance showed up. Don't know what happened.

I can add to this. In addition to what Lynn noted about the student body vote and the then President's (Walker) vision, there was renewed grass roots efforts to bring this back to the forefront if you go back 10 to 12 years. I know, because I led a lot of it.

I conducted thesis level research that was posted to this board on whether it would matter, pro and cons, value, etc. I wrote a couple of Op Eds about it in the DNJ. I created a petition for it. I created a Facebook page for it, and I met with McPhee a couple of times about. Which I quickly learned was nothing but an attempt to placate me, because he wasn't liking the attention on it, so I stopped communicating with him and wrote him off.

McPhee - in his not so infinite wisdom - believes there are just as many people who support MTxx as do U of MT. But the problem is that even if it were true he focuses on that at the detriment to all other factors. He apparently doesn't have the mental acumen to realize that just because some people support something doesn't mean it is in fact in the best interest of the school. This is not to demean people who support keeping the name the same as there certainly are some, but those people are unfortunately misguided on this. As I really dug into it, none of them had reasoning or rationale that had anything to do with making the value of the degree better, enhancing the prestige of the university, or improving name recognition. All things that would have measurable benefits to the university. Instead, do you know what I found out why most people who supported keeping the name the same felt that way? It's because either a) they didn't want the name to be different than what was on their diploma b) thought it would cost too much or c) thought the name was just fine the way it was (with nothing to base that on other than personal preference and certainly no insight into its benefits). That's who McPhee sided with on this. What I like to call the "Just Because" crowd on the issue. He certainly doesn't understand or care about the importance and relevance of brand. This university is so behind in terms of creating an identity that we just continue to plod along and the only people who know who we are include gamblers and the people we share a conference with us. This issue is more important than facilities, but this President doesn't understand this.

Bottom line is as Space said. The name change is never going to happen as long as McPhee remains on campus. And it's a shame too, because this is one way he could have left a legacy at MT in more than just about any other. Uniting our brand and actually enhancing the profile of the university. That and bringing the law school to MT, but he failed on both of those accounts. Instead, we'll all just be rejoicing when he's finally gone and hoping we don't get stuck with another puppet.

I can add to this. In addition to what Lynn noted about the student body vote and the then President's (Walker) vision, there was renewed grass roots efforts to bring this back to the forefront if you go back 10 to 12 years. I know, because I led a lot of it.

I conducted thesis level research that was posted to this board on whether it would matter, pro and cons, value, etc. I wrote a couple of Op Eds about it in the DNJ. I created a petition for it. I created a Facebook page for it, and I met with McPhee a couple of times about. Which I quickly learned was nothing but an attempt to placate me, because he wasn't liking the attention on it, so I stopped communicating with him and wrote him off.
I remember the grassroots effort, the facebook group, etc. And vaguely remember you posting some data about it.

I'd love to read masters-level thesis paper you wrote (I'm a higher ed geek that watches Board meetings for kicks and reads accreditation manuals for fun).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT