ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Where does this season rank?

blueraiderJT

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2006
Ok, so this is actually a serious question.It has to be in the top 3 since we won the bowl game right?

We've had 8 win seasons with us crapping the bed in bowl games. When we win a bowl game, is it a better season than an 8 win season with us losing in the bowl game? Where does a bowl win rank? It's the highest level we can go except winning a conference title.

1. 2009 - 10 wins and a bowl win
2. 2017 - 7-6 but we won the bowl game in Montgomery. We beat Syracuse which is why it's no.2.
3. 2021 - 7-6 and we won the Bahamas Bowl
4. 2018 - 8-5 - Won the east but lost the title game and got destroyed in the bowl game.
5. 2001 - 8-3 - Won a share of the title and got left out of a bowl. We beat Vandy the first time.
6. 2006 - Won a share of the title but hammered in our bowl game.
7. 2012 - Beat GT, played for the title but didn't get a bowl that year.
8. 2016 - Beat Mizzou, won 8 games and got embarrassed by Hawaii
9. 2013 - Beat Marshall but got hammered by Navy in the bowl game
10. 2015 - Won 7 but lost to WMU in the Bahamas bowl.

Never been the type to rank seasons but this one stands out. This team faced a ton of adversity with all the drama at the QB position. Close loss at Charlotte was extremely frustrating, and it was difficult watching our team get manhandled at UTSA because I knew we were better than that. I was very angry after those two games because you really cannot afford to start a season 0-2 in conference. It basically ends your season. ODU loss shouldn't have happened.

As always hate losing to WKU, another very frustrating loss, but that was Vattiato's first game and they've got a guy that will play on Sundays at QB for them. I believe Zappe is done though and they lose their OC, so they're much more likely to come back down to earth next year.

Team really persevered though. Defense and special teams was lights out in most games outside of FG kicking. Rankin has to improve there or he might find himself without a scholarship. The bowl win was a great way to send these seniors off and great experience for the younger guys.

Lots of question marks next year. Will we get any staff changes? Will Shafer be hired away? Is the SBC defections leaving early and thus taking themselves off our football schedule for next year?

We lose some key players on defense but return a ton of starters and talent next season. If we can plug some holes with transfers/junior college players we could potentially make a push.

I was thinking the same thing.
I was ranking in my head going … man, these guys are right.

We went 7-6, had to win on the last day to even make a bowl, didn't even sniff a title, got blown out by our rival.

And it's arguably the 3 best season in Stock's 16 year tenure.

OMG this is so sad.

Reactions: Predarat
k, so this is actually a serious question.It has to be in the top 3 since we won the bowl game right?

We've had 8 win seasons with us crapping the bed in bowl games. When we win a bowl game, is it a better season than an 8 win season with us losing in the bowl game? Where does a bowl win rank? It's the highest level we can go except winning a conference title.

1. 2009 - 10 wins and a bowl win
2. 2017 - 7-6 but we won the bowl game in Montgomery. We beat Syracuse which is why it's no.2.
3. 2021 - 7-6 and we won the Bahamas Bowl
4. 2018 - 8-5 - Won the east but lost the title game and got destroyed in the bowl game.
5. 2001 - 8-3 - Won a share of the title and got left out of a bowl. We beat Vandy the first time.
6. 2006 - Won a share of the title but hammered in our bowl game.
7. 2012 - Beat GT, played for the title but didn't get a bowl that year.
8. 2016 - Beat Mizzou, won 8 games and got embarrassed by Hawaii
9. 2013 - Beat Marshall but got hammered by Navy in the bowl game
10. 2015 - Won 7 but lost to WMU in the Bahamas bowl.

This is a fair assessment of MT Football in the FBS era. Cannot fault this ranking.

A footnote to consider: The 2001 season was the Inaugural Sun Belt Conference year. There was no place for anyone except for the conference champion to go to a bowl. MT was tied with North Texas in Sun Belt Conference standings but lost head-to-head---thus our "co-championship" had no real fanfare. North Texas had to get a NCAA waiver to play in New Orleans Bowl since their record was 5-6 and 5-1 in conference play. The Sun Belt Conference administration left a sour taste because of this anomaly taking a 5-6 non eligible team vs 8-3 team and not placing us in a bowl. Unbalanced scheduling had us wrapping up our Sun Belt slate early while North Texas played New Mexico State, Lafayette, and Idaho and won them all (to their credit). It should be noted North Texas lost to Troy (counted as nonconference opponent for 2001, but Troy joined the Sun Belt later).

In my mind, 2001, 2018, and 2021 are very close and can be ranked interchangeably. Given the 8-3 anomaly above, being first season in conference, along with a Vanderbilt ($EC) win (which carries weight in the community engagement department), I would value 2001 season at #3 and trade 2021 at #5. In most years, 8-3 in an 11-game season would have been enough for earning a championship and that performance coming so soon after moving up from 1-AA/FCS.

Will say the 2021 is a testament to determination and effort. We closed out the season successfully, which is exceedingly rare in the Blue Raiders culture of the FBS era. I'm satisfied and happy for our coaches and team for coming through adversity this year. They did their jobs very well!

Reactions: Predarat
Nailed it! 09 team was head and shoulders da best ever. Dasher is the man! Be fun if they did a charity poker tournament next year during the bowl game festivities with some past players. I’m all in!

I'm extremely happy with our bowl win but overall this year has been very frustrating and I wouldn't put this 4 - 4 in conference play team in the top 10. Now if the other cusa teams win their bowl games then that will tell me that our conference was tough this year and I will change my mind.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Celebrating a .500 regular season and a "Bahamas Bowl Championship" reminds me of the time my 8U coach pitch team got the 3rd place trophy in the bronze division.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I want more from my school. At least M&M got a nice Christmas vacation...again.

That's exactly it. I want more than 7 win seasons and bowl wins. Philip Tanner posted after we won something along the lines of take that fire Stock crowd. That leans exactly in to why I want him gone. I want more than what we got yesterday and Stock has shown he isn't the man to do it. He did an AMAZING job of getting us out of the Andy Mac mess. Took us up a level. Now it is time for someone else to take us up yet another level.

Im beyond happy for everyone involved. Proudly wore blue all week leading to it. But still. I just can't be ok with a 7-6 season being a top 5 season in a 16 year coaching regime.

I checked out this season. Still watched when I could, but did not donate and did not renew my blue chair back season tix. ODU turd was the only game I went to ($18 GA ticket). However, the FAU game and the bowl game won me back. Gonna buy the cheapest season ticket and get back to going to games. The players deserve butts in seats. Even when they played crappy, they still played hard.

Can't disagree with the OP or most of any that follow.

The last two games, especially the Bowl win are the deciding factor in my renewing season tickets for next year. Otherwise I would have decided not to renew, unless we got a new head coach.

It is immensely important to have the OC and DC return so there's some momentum to the program, if indeed CRS continues to be the head coach. Not sure what is the coordinators' contracts, but IMO, those guys deserve bigger bonuses for this season ending with a bowl win than CRS.

I checked out this season. Still watched when I could, but did not donate and did not renew my blue chair back season tix. ODU turd was the only game I went to ($18 GA ticket). However, the FAU game and the bowl game won me back. Gonna buy the cheapest season ticket and get back to going to games. The players deserve butts in seats. Even when they played crappy, they still played hard.

I was the same this season, except I didn't make it to any Home games.

Like you, I'm going to get Season Tickets for 2022. Looking forward to next September.

Celebrating a .500 regular season and a "Bahamas Bowl Championship" reminds me of the time my 8U coach pitch team got the 3rd place trophy in the bronze division.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I want more from my school. At least M&M got a nice Christmas vacation...again.
Exactly. I’m not going to let one irrelevant bowl win that we backed into sway me in my opinion that we are where we are in all the realignment mess because many of us accepted these results (and less) for 16 years. Happy for the players, yes. It’s not their fault. Meanwhile the newbie Charlottes, UTSAs and Liberty U’s pass us by. Also while UAB rises from the ashes after being burned to the ground and even the SunBelt snubbed us.
I’m not being a Debbie Downer, I’m thinking of where this program will be in another 3-5 years if things don’t change. I’m not talking about a couple of Assistant Coaches, I’m talking about real change all the way to the top.
That’s my opinion so shoot me.

First of all, no one on here is accepting anything. We are stuck with this. This post is merely asking the question of where does a bowl winning team rank in our short history.

If we go 8-4 and get murdered in a bowl game, is that successful? If we go 8-4, win our division but lose the championship game and get destroyed in the bowl, is that better than a 7-6 team with a bowl win? Personally, I'm saying no. The bowl win is on a national stage. We automatically look better than other more successful teams who lose. BYU lost yesterday and was heavily favored. Are we better than them? LOL. no. However, we won our game and we have the better spotlight for now. Who feels better right now? Marshall is not feeling like winners right now. WKU fans are.

If we lost to FAU, we would have been pissed so now we win a bowl and some people are still pissed. It's the Stockstill factor so I get it but this team did not back into a bowl game. They had to fight to get it. They were down 17-3 to FAU. That ain't backing in. That's scratching and clawing their way to a victory. To that, I give this team props. We should have lost to FAU and we should have lost to Toledo. The players deserve some shine for that.

Last edited:
First of all, no one on here is accepting anything. We are stuck with this. This post is merely asking the question of where does a bowl winning team rank in our short history.

If we go 8-4 and get murdered in a bowl game, is that successful? If we go 8-4, win our division but lose the championship game and get destroyed in the bowl, is that better than a 7-6 team with a bowl win?

Here is the comparison. Was this a successful season for WKU? Finish 8-4. Win division. Lose champ game, win bowl to finish 9-5. That's .643 winning percentage.

Is that more successful than UAB? Finishing 8-4, win bowl to finish 9-4 and .692?

We finished 7-6. But first winning season in 3 years. So I can see it both ways. Successful on that front, yes. End on a high note, yes. But I still expect more. I think even a division title without double digit wins isn't truly 'successful" overall, but that's just me.

Ironically on this note I just read this

SDS lost in the semifinal game and Montana State went on to the championship game. Players were asked if it was a successful season, and many said no. Their expectation was championship and they failed, so no it was not successful. They finished the year 11-4.

To me, that speaks volumes that our administration....not Stock.....have set the expectation to be "successful" at 7-6 and a bowl win.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
That's exactly it. I want more than 7 win seasons and bowl wins. Philip Tanner posted after we won something along the lines of take that fire Stock crowd. That leans exactly in to why I want him gone. I want more than what we got yesterday and Stock has shown he isn't the man to do it. He did an AMAZING job of getting us out of the Andy Mac mess. Took us up a level. Now it is time for someone else to take us up yet another level.

Im beyond happy for everyone involved. Proudly wore blue all week leading to it. But still. I just can't be ok with a 7-6 season being a top 5 season in a 16 year coaching regime.

I responded to him. Predictably he and the other former players blame everything on facilities. Nick Saban himself couldn’t do better.

Compare us to Western, Louisiana Lafayette , and Coastal Carolina. Not even close. This is a fine season but not when you are 15 years into a “rebuild.”

Its hard to get wrapped up in the good since it’s always one step forward two steps back with the program.

WKU had a great day yesterday. Too bad they're still in CUSA. MT and WKU were short-sighted when they decided to leave the SBC. Didn't like the move then and dislike it even more today. MT and WKU jumped aboard a sinking ship. Foolish.
I say dance with the one who brought ya and steady wins the race, my friend. As long as MT remains in CUSA there will never be any excitement around the program. Depressing. At least they didn't move to the MAC. I know everybody likes to talk about TV games and crap, but if you ain't got butts in the seats, you ain't got nothing. Trying to build tradition through televised games is like trying to live life in front of a computer screen. The real world will always always be better and richer than the virtual world.

Here is the comparison. Was this a successful season for WKU? Finish 8-4. Win division. Lose champ game, win bowl to finish 9-5. That's .643 winning percentage.

Is that more successful than UAB? Finishing 8-4, win bowl to finish 9-4 and .692?

We finished 7-6. But first winning season in 3 years. So I can see it both ways. Successful on that front, yes. End on a high note, yes. But I still expect more. I think even a division title without double digit wins isn't truly 'successful" overall, but that's just me.
Who doesn't expect more? LOL.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Both schools on each end of I-65 from us win their bowl games, WKU hangs 59 on Appy and Bill Clark’s UAB QB sets an Independence Bowl completion record on BYU. THAT’s progress AND success.
We aren’t even close.
So WKU got waxed in the championship game after buzzsawing everyone else in the east. UAB didn't even play in the championship game but they are progressing and we aren't. Got it. Why? Because they won their bowl games. A bowl win means more than other wins. That would put this year's team ahead of other teams we had with better records.

WKU and UAB finished the same and thus have the same result. They have winning seasons so yes they are succussful. We have finished 8-4 before plenty of times but didn't win our bowl games and no one on here thought we were successful. I remember all of those posts. My point. Bowl wins matter. They just do. If you get to a bowl game and lose it, you just feel like it was all for nothing. Hence my ranking. BYU fans aren't feeling like winners right now even after winnign 10 games and beating the Pac12 basically including the team that won the Pac12.

So WKU got waxed in the championship game after buzzsawing everyone else in the east. UAB didn't even play in the championship game but they are progressing and we aren't. Got it. Why? Because they won their bowl games. A bowl win means more than other wins. That would put this year's team ahead of other teams we had with better records.
I would trade places and seasons with both of those schools in a heartbeat just to win a conference title and maybe, just maybe convince most of the fanbase and potential walk-up locals to come back to Floyd Stadium on Saturdays. So far nothing has changed from where we were in 2010. Nothing.

The goal at this level is a conference championship. All seasons that fall short of that goal are less than successful seasons.

That's sometimes ok. If you program is rebuilding. If you've got a young team, or a new staff, or any variety of mitigating factors.

We're 16 years into this staff. This program should be rolling, the foundation should be built, we should be re-loading every year, and we should be contending for championships and winning one every few years. 7-6 and a bowl win should be a "down" year.

The way this is being celebrated is the whole problem with the program. I don't think anyone is pissed at this individual season - in a vacuum, with all the QB injuries, it's not half bad.

We're all fed up with the fact that this is the best we can come to expect, and if this is the best (and by the celebrations coming out, you'd think we won the super bowl), then frankly this is not good enough.

Last edited:
I would trade places and seasons with both of those schools in a heartbeat just to win a conference title and maybe, just maybe convince most of the fanbase and potential walk-up locals to come back to Floyd Stadium on Saturdays. So far nothing has changed from where we were in 2010. Nothing.
I was at the WKU game in BG this year and they didn't have a big crowd at all. It was on par with our crowds. It is what it is. When Stock dies, we can get a new coach and then we'll see. At least we won in the postseason. Gotta take the positives where you can get them.

The goal at this level is a conference championship. All seasons that fall short of that goal are less than successful seasons.

That's sometimes ok. If you program is rebuilding. If you've got a young team, or a new staff, or any variety of mitigating factors.

We're 16 years into this staff. This program should be rolling, the foundation should be built, we should be re-loading every year, and we should be contending for championships and winning one every few years. 7-6 and a bowl win should be a "down" year.

The way this is being celebrated is the whole problem with the program. I don't think anyone is pissed at this individual season - in a vacuum, with all the QB injuries, it's not half bad.

We're all fed up with the fact that this is the best we can come to expect, and if this is the best (and by the celebrations coming out, you'd think we won the super bowl), then frankly this is not good enough.
Thank you, Sir! My feelings exactly. 👍👏👏

I was at the WKU game in BG this year and they didn't have a big crowd at all. It was on par with our crowds. It is what it is. When Stock dies, we can get a new coach and then we'll see. At least we won in the postseason. Gotta take the positives where you can get them.
Not to change the subject but did y’all watch what WKU did to Louisville yesterday? And Louisville agreed to play it in Diddle.

Reactions: ewglenn
Can't disagree with the OP or most of any that follow.

The last two games, especially the Bowl win are the deciding factor in my renewing season tickets for next year. Otherwise I would have decided not to renew, unless we got a new head coach.

It is immensely important to have the OC and DC return so there's some momentum to the program, if indeed CRS continues to be the head coach. Not sure what is the coordinators' contracts, but IMO, those guys deserve bigger bonuses for this season ending with a bowl win than CRS.

I'm with you, but I'm still not sitting foot on that campus until there are significant changes made and someone comes out and publicly says we are here to win championships in all sports. I appreciate the players so much but when you have your own school that trolls the people who are most invested in it then why should I give two shits more than I do to spend my time and my money to support that nonsense. I hate it for the kids, because I have so, so much respect for what these guys did this year. And I'm even going to throw some love to the coaching staff for the last two games. But it's mostly the kids on the team this is for...

I did not watch the FAU game, because I figured I would know the outcome, but I went back and watched the replay a few days later. I only saw the first half of the bowl game because I decided my time was far better used going to take my daughter to the matinee of the new Spiderman moving but went back and watched some of what I missed.

What I want to say is that if we had teams that brought the type of desire, attitude, and fire to what I watched in the FAU game and then again in the second half of the bowl game makes me believe if we had that type of mentality in some of the other seasons we would have actually won a couple of conference titles. Let's be honest. This was not a very good team from a talent perspective, but I'm not sure we've had a team with more heart. In that FAU game, our guys simply wanted it more than the Owls players did. Whether that's the senior leadership on the team or the coaches or both, I just had a lot of respect for them in what I watched play out that day. Actually the second half of both of those games was something special we have rarely seen at MT. A double digit comeback and then basically shutting out a team in the second half in Toledo that was obviously more talented, bigger, faster, and stronger than us. Watching the defense lock down the opponent and only give up those 10 points in the final four quarters of the season was just really fun to see. I really appreciate the intensity and effort they showed in both those games. For once...no twice we actually did compete and it was a sight to behold. I hope we not only get better and secure more talent but carry that mindset into the next season. For a change, it was pretty awesome to see a winning mentality and I will even dare say culture-esque type of winning mindset on the field.

It wasn't the season we wanted but was probably a lot better than what it should have been. For that, Bravo Zulu to the team and the coaches.

I'm with you, but I'm still not sitting foot on that campus until there are significant changes made and someone comes out and publicly says we are here to win championships in all sports. I appreciate the players so much but when you have your own school that trolls the people who are most invested in it then why should I give two shits more than I do to spend my time and my money to support that nonsense. I hate it for the kids, because I have so, so much respect for what these guys did this year. And I'm even going to throw some love to the coaching staff for the last two games. But it's mostly the kids on the team this is for...

I did not watch the FAU game, because I figured I would know the outcome, but I went back and watched the replay a few days later. I only saw the first half of the bowl game because I decided my time was far better used going to take my daughter to the matinee of the new Spiderman moving but went back and watched some of what I missed.

What I want to say is that if we had teams that brought the type of desire, attitude, and fire to what I watched in the FAU game and then again in the second half of the bowl game makes me believe if we had that type of mentality in some of the other seasons we would have actually won a couple of conference titles. Let's be honest. This was not a very good team from a talent perspective, but I'm not sure we've had a team with more heart. In that FAU game, our guys simply wanted it more than the Owls players did. Whether that's the senior leadership on the team or the coaches or both, I just had a lot of respect for them in what I watched play out that day. Actually the second half of both of those games was something special we have rarely seen at MT. A double digit comeback and then basically shutting out a team in the second half in Toledo that was obviously more talented, bigger, faster, and stronger than us. Watching the defense lock down the opponent and only give up those 10 points in the final four quarters of the season was just really fun to see. I really appreciate the intensity and effort they showed in both those games. For once...no twice we actually did compete and it was a sight to behold. I hope we not only get better and secure more talent but carry that mindset into the next season. For a change, it was pretty awesome to see a winning mentality and I will even dare say culture-esque type of winning mindset on the field.

It wasn't the season we wanted but was probably a lot better than what it should have been. For that, Bravo Zulu to the team and the coaches.
I agree with everything you said. Great post. I don't applaud the coaches but I do applaud and celebrate the players. Those kids fought their tails off in the last 2 games.

Reactions: Hop45
I agree with everything you said. Great post. I don't applaud the coaches but I do applaud and celebrate the players. Those kids fought their tails off in the last 2 games.

That's exactly why I donated to Build Blue. I know many of you won't agree. I totally see your reasons why and infact that's why I haven't kept up BRAA. But with this, I feel we need it for the players no matter who the Pres, AD, or coach is. And for the players, I 100% want them to succeed.

Reactions: Hop45
That's exactly why I donated to Build Blue. I know many of you won't agree. I totally see your reasons why and infact that's why I haven't kept up BRAA. But with this, I feel we need it for the players no matter who the Pres, AD, or coach is. And for the players, I 100% want them to succeed.

I'm assuming Build Blue is the new facilities funding? That's the one thing I do think is worth donating to. Building new facilities for our program is what we need and directly benefits the university regardless of who the coach, AD, or president is. It is a lasting investment and a tangible thing that we can benefit from. I'm hoping to donate myself after I see where I stand after the new year and I encourage everyone else that is considering donating to donate to the new facilities.

Stopping BRAA donations etc. is understandable, especially if you want to force a coaching change. But donating to facilities helps the university and doesn't support the current admin though I'm sure they'll take credit for the donations.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
This was a tough list with some close calls. I only bothered ranking the top 5, the others kind of blend in as one big Mediocre Nightmare.

1. 2009 - 10-3 New Orleans Bowl winner. Great season all around, 1 blemish the very bad Troy loss, other losses At Clemson and Miss State. Won at Maryland. A fun team to watch, never knew what Dasher was going to do. Wish he had kept his head on straight, the year after could have been in this list.
2. 2001 - 8-3 One of the best teams to take the field for MT, sometimes I wonder if it was THE best. So fun to watch. Deserved much better, if the bowl set up was like today I have a feeling they would have throttled somebody in a bowl game. Two road losses to Ole Miss and LSU, and the horrible fluky road North Texas loss. Beat Vandy!
3. 2021 - 7-6 team that faced a lot of issues, especially having to use 4 QBs. Gutsy clutch finish to the season and an upset bowl win.
4. 2017 - 7-6 Won a bowl game and beat Syracuse on the road. Very good team all around.
5. 2018 - 8-5 Won the East, from there it went downhill fast. Heartbreaking loss in CUSA final and took a bludgeoning in a Bowl Game. Win one of those two this jumps a few spots, win both likely beast season ever.

I see A&M dropped out of the Gator Bowl. Given the short notice games Massaro pulled off last year, Chris could get Stockstill in a second bowl game in a season, a major bowl game and he can be sure Stock will still finish at least .500.

Two bowl games in one season. That’s gotta be worth an 8 yr extension for Stock….

I see A&M dropped out of the Gator Bowl. Given the short notice games Massaro pulled off last year, Chris could get Stockstill in a second bowl game in a season, a major bowl game and he can be sure Stock will still finish at least .500.

Two bowl games in one season. That’s gotta be worth an 8 yr extension for Stock….

That's a huge risk for whoever does it. Win, and you look great. Lose and you are an idiot.

Supposedly it'll be Illinois. Highest 5-7 APR and the owner of the Jags where the Gator Bowl is, is a Illinois grad so he's pushing for it too.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT