ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL Schedule released

Brew_Raider

True Blue
Oct 31, 2015
2024 Schedule released. Honestly, a pretty terrible schedule. Definitely not trying to get fans by playing interesting non-conference games. Got one game at Vandy, at Bama and at Indiana. No Memphis or Tennessee. No interesting weekend series, no money series of note. For the athletic department folks that read: do better.

Anyone hear how we are looking in the fall? I saw nothing about the scrimmages - maybe missed it if we did post something. Going on 8 years since we won 30+ in a season & 15 since we made the NCAA. I really miss Coach Pete.

Reactions: TRUEBLUE73
Yeah the schedule appears to be very weak, but it doesn't really matter. The program has slid into oblivion the last decade plus. Pete wasn't setting the woods on fire his last few years and no coach can be called a success since then. We've settled for mediocrity and seem to wallow around near .500 and rarely even reach that. Baseball is one example where improving facilities did not work.

Hopefully they do well with who they play. I may renew tickets for the Hell of it. Not interested in sitting in cold weather so I probably won't make any February or early March game.

I mean…way to challenge yourself. Bowling Green, Miami Ohio, UT Martin, St Bonnie and a home/home with Binghamton are our weekend nonconference series?

Looking at their records from last year - just an embarrassing effort of scheduling. I am guessing Motlow State and Columbia State were unavailable? We don’t even bother with the Mule Mix anymore? No effort to play in one of the hundreds of Florida/Carolina tournaments? Don’t even both playing a P5 or major west coast team for a little money?

if we don’t get to 30+ wins with this schedule we can just end the Coach Jerry Meyers experiment this year.

if we don’t get to 30+ wins with this schedule...
That may be the point. When was the last time this program had 30 wins in a season? Eight or nine years? You'd think with a former baseball player/alum as the BoT chair, there would be some progress. I mean it seems like every season the schedule gets lighter/weaker

Last edited:
Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
That may be the point. When was the last time this program had 30 wins in a season? Eight or nine years? You'd think with a former baseball player/alum as the BoT chair, there would be some progress. I mean it seems like every season the schedule gets lighter/weaker

What does that tell you about the quality, or lack thereof, of our Board?
Between McPhee and the fledgling existence of this new board I’m trying to recall a single thing he and Smith have led where I feel like the status, perception, or effectiveness of this institution has improved. I guess firing Stock was something but it’s really hard to find much of anything.

That said you hit the nail on the head. The OOC schedule is week probably designed purposefully by the new coach to get him some early wins. But there won’t be any contending in conference. I expect that to be pretty ugly. Not a bad league so just about everyone will being better than us. With baseball be my primary love it’s as disappointing to me as football has been. There’s a part of me that still regrets going east and not playing for Pete and Mags.

It goes back to people want a winner. We should win a lot of games with that schedule. Maybe they use this year to help build. I’m trying to be positive but that screams they put together a soft schedule to make sure we post a good record. If we don’t then everyone involved should be fired.

Probably. If they can get to 20-12 in the non conf he only has to go 10-14 in conference to get to 30. Getting 10 wins in conference is going to be tough to come by though. And winning 62% non conf seems like a stretch even with the weak schedule. If we win more than 25 total I will be surprised. I’m as disappointed with the easy button hire they did here as I was with McDevitts hire. It feels like they didn’t really put much of an effort to go get one of young dynamic coaches at a smaller school.

Reactions: MTLynn
It feels like they didn’t really put much of an effort to go get one of young dynamic coaches at a smaller school.

It would be laughable if I didn’t care about the school. The fact Jerry Meyers is our HC given his resume / how he got the job, and to release that schedule, is embarrassing.

I’m sure he’s a nice guy though.

I thought Binghamton was a solid program especially the money they spend on the program.... https://bubearcats.com/sports/2021/12/23/baseball-complex.aspx
They were good pre-Covid. They were awful 2 years ago, but won their conference tournament to get an auto bid.

I honestly don’t have an issue with the road trip given it’s mid conference play and can be difficult scheduling a non-conference weekend series in April/May.

It’s just the home/home and non-conference collectively that is pretty terrible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT