ADVERTISEMENT

MT Football COULD surprise this year

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
Just reviewing the roster, we did lose a lot to the portal/graduation. Most notably, 4 of 5 starting OL players plus some talented reserves. On defense, Jurriente Davis was a man and Gregory Grate was an all CUSA kind of guy.

With that being said, we've actually done OK in the portal and return plenty of talent. I believe the defense is gonna be there in championship form for us. Scott always has his guys ready to play, and we are as strong as anyone on the defensive line led by one of the best in the conference Jordan Ferguson. We picked up some very athletic guys at the LB position from Louisville & Miss St. in Zay Peterson and Timar Rogers. Jonathan Butler returns as well at LB and we have a lot of young talent competing for playing time like Raquon Hartley who should be all over the field for us. I really feel like Scott is gonna have this defense ready to play and potentially be a top 3 defense in the conference IF the offense doesn't leave them out there on the field the whole game. It's very possible the offense goes 3 and out way too many times or we score too fast and our D gets tossed back out there for 10+ series a game. In that kind of scenario it would be difficult to be top 3 in conference but if the offense keeps things balanced I really think our D will be there. Key to a successful season for us is going to be balance. Both on offense and defense.

Special teams should be fine with Kyle Ulbrich returning for punt duties (3rd best in CUSA last year) and Zeke Rankin back with placekicking duties. Special teams should be top half of the league if not top 3 as well.

The big enigma is going to be the offense. This season will be determined by new offensive coordinator Mitch Stewart and our new OL. I suspect Chase will win the job at QB for us and Ervin/Sparrow/Peasant will push for the starting RB job. WR position for us will continue to be one of the best and deepest in CUSA led by Jaylin Lane. OL will be a big mystery. Jordan Palmer will be at Center for sure but it's tough to tell who wins the guard and tackle jobs. We've got a big influx of transfers, recruits, and back up's from last season that will push for time. With regards to the OL, I actually believe the talent is there but I really worry from a coaching standpoint. I have little to no faith in our OL coaches. But, I think the OL unit has the potential to be more than serviceable and might be running people over in the second half of the season once we've ironed out the starting 5 and key back ups and they have some experience under their belt. Just looking at GBR, the pedigree and size is certainly there for us at the OL. Just gotta get the right guys at the right positions and play down hill.

Sadly, I think this will be a classic Rick Stockstill team that starts poorly but finishes strong. My heart wants to believe we can push for the East, but my brain is telling me this is just another 6-6 season that starts poorly and ends with a whimper. A traditional view says this is a team that will need 3-4 games under their belt before they really iron things out with so many new faces and a new OC. It sucks because every game on the schedule is winnable outside of Miami. If we could just find a way to start the season 2-1 before we head down to Miami I would feel really good about things. That would put us back at home 2-2 with conference play opening up Week 5 against UTSA. I know for Rick the season doesn't start until Week 5 when we play UTSA at home but that's just bullshit in my opinion. Week's 1 and 2 are super important when it comes to having people respect your program and showing people you know what you're doing. Losing at both JMU and Colorado State would just affirm what everyone else mostly suspects, that this program is weak and doesn't strive for greatness. We have looked pathetic lately in OOC play (The 42-0 Army game nightmare comes to mind...over and over and over and over again....) and it's time to change that.

Last edited:
I like your thinking, but looking at this season just screams 4-8 to me. There's a few bright spots but not enough to get this team to post season, IMO. I believe it is more likely to be worse than it is to be closer to .500 ball. I hope I am wrong, but am not betting on it. I suspect there will be at least a couple of home games where I'm ready to get up and leave before the halftime.

Last edited:
Reactions: ewglenn
It's the new offense that worries me. Essentially new QB since this will be either of their first full season. It always takes CRS teams a few games to get in a groove. New OC and several position coach changes. We could be 3-3 heading in to WKU, or easily 1-5. I've said it before, I see 5-7 and I think 6-6 is the cap for the team this year.

I'd love for 11-1, win a bowl, let Stock retire at 113-99 but then I wake up from my dream.

This team should be 3-0 heading to Miami. JMU is about to get a wake up call with the transition. They haven't been that dominate team for 3 years. They have lost the best weapons to the portal and graduation. Colorado state has just worse than MT, and TSU is FCS. anything less than 3-0 to start, Rick should feel the heat

This team should be 3-0 heading to Miami. JMU is about to get a wake up call with the transition. They haven't been that dominate team for 3 years. They have lost the best weapons to the portal and graduation. Colorado state has just worse than MT, and TSU is FCS. anything less than 3-0 to start, Rick should feel the heat
100% agree here. We are so conditioned to expect suck that looking at two FCS schools and a down Co St seems daunting. 3-0 heading to Miami.

It's the new offense that worries me. Essentially new QB since this will be either of their first full season. It always takes CRS teams a few games to get in a groove. New OC and several position coach changes. We could be 3-3 heading in to WKU, or easily 1-5. I've said it before, I see 5-7 and I think 6-6 is the cap for the team this year.

I'd love for 11-1, win a bowl, let Stock retire at 113-99 but then I wake up from my dream.
CRS early season struggles (I'd love to figure out the reason) are a huge concern, but I'm not overly concerned about a new OC / learning a new offense.

New OC brought Air Raid back so formations, concepts, etc should be similar to the offense under TF.

CRS early season struggles (I'd love to figure out the reason) are a huge concern, but I'm not overly concerned about a new OC / learning a new offense.

New OC brought Air Raid back so formations, concepts, etc should be similar to the offense under TF.

Good point. And it is an offense Lil Stock knows in and out, and he is now the QB coach helping those young guys.

Very good point.

I talked with a O-Line player in the grocery recently and he was very upbeat about the new OC... My major concern is the O-Line...

The key will obviously be OL. We have the talent at WR & QB IMO. I'll believe the RB talent when I see it. Really hoping the Sparrow kid gets utilized properly. He can straight up fly.

Here are my too early predictions:

RT - Joseph Stone (best of the transfers from 22' class)
RG - Very difficult to project. I think one of the freshmen could standout and take this spot, like a Rutledge or Guevara, or maybe the under the radar transfer Justice Spates
C - Jordan Palmer
LG - Jahlil Ryles
LT - Jacqui Graham

Looking at our OL, we are very young at the position. Reminds me a bit of last year and the year before where we were young but had talent and played better as the season rolled on. Then that talent played a year or two and transferred out.....

Hopefully these guys will stick around. I think we will see G5 coaches focusing more on transfers now so that kids will have burned that 1 free transfer by the time they get to MT.

Does anyone know if transferring from JUCO to FBS burns the 1 free transfer ? I'm guessing it doesn't, but I sure wish it did.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
The key will obviously be OL. We have the talent at WR & QB IMO. I'll believe the RB talent when I see it. Really hoping the Sparrow kid gets utilized properly. He can straight up fly.

Here are my too early predictions:

RT - Joseph Stone (best of the transfers from 22' class)
RG - Very difficult to project. I think one of the freshmen could standout and take this spot, like a Rutledge or Guevara, or maybe the under the radar transfer Justice Spates
C - Jordan Palmer
LG - Jahlil Ryles
LT - Jacqui Graham

Looking at our OL, we are very young at the position. Reminds me a bit of last year and the year before where we were young but had talent and played better as the season rolled on. Then that talent played a year or two and transferred out.....

Hopefully these guys will stick around. I think we will see G5 coaches focusing more on transfers now so that kids will have burned that 1 free transfer by the time they get to MT.

Does anyone know if transferring from JUCO to FBS burns the 1 free transfer ? I'm guessing it doesn't, but I sure wish it did.
It doesn't, and transferring down a level doesn't either

Good point. And it is an offense Lil Stock knows in and out, and he is now the QB coach helping those young guys.

Very good point.
Brent is also the passing game coordinator. He will have Chase and Nick ready. He also knows the WR's extremely well. The new OC is the run game coordinator so he will focus on the line. It will be different. Who knows how different but Stock did shuffle the line coaches because he knew he had to. It can't hurt at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT