ADVERTISEMENT

BRP interview with Massaro pt. 2 coming this Tuesday

jakeboldenbrp

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2024
Shelbyville, TN
It's that time again. Had anticipated we'd have some news on the basketball front to talk about, but here we are.

As I'm sure that topic is number one on everyone's list, I have some other topics I plan to discuss (in no particular order):

1. New partnership with NIL collective, Raider Rising. Incorporating it with BRAA at any time? How does the middle class fan afford $1,000/yr membership along with BRAA and season ticket spending? Where should my priorities lie?

2. The $10.1mil CUSA distribution to MTSU. Why the large discrepancy compared to the other conference members (2nd highest distributions was $6.1m to WKU)?

3. Lady Raiders' ability to host in NCAAT. How does that bidding process work, and is it good for the game?

4. SAPC progress

5. New Taymar Sales partnership. How does their partnership intend to boost athletic-wide revenue?

6. "Transparency" comment from first interview. Seems to have drawn a lot of attention from the first go around.

7. Blue and White game upcoming.

I appreciate your efforts to bring us more information on all fronts. As a long time season ticket holder to several sports, it is more than a little discouraging to see attendance decline in most sports. I am hopeful for an uptick in football with CDM's efforts, but what's being done in other sports create more interest and ticket sales, and more of a student presence at basketball and baseball games?

Reactions: jakeboldenbrp
FWIW, BRAA members should have an email from Massaro re: MBB.

Massaro highlights the midseason turnaround & McD's plan to move forward.

In short, McD will remain HC.

IMO, McD MUST hit the portal for a few guys who can be day contributors.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Just got CM's email. And well...

While I'd prefer it sooner, I get keeping the focus on the ladies. I'd also prefer he release it not just to BRAA members.

That being said, I will give him credit for saying something. I asked for it, he delivered, and I'll acknowledge him for doing so.

It's that time again. Had anticipated we'd have some news on the basketball front to talk about, but here we are.

As I'm sure that topic is number one on everyone's list, I have some other topics I plan to discuss (in no particular order):

1. New partnership with NIL collective, Raider Rising. Incorporating it with BRAA at any time? How does the middle class fan afford $1,000/yr membership along with BRAA and season ticket spending? Where should my priorities lie?

2. The $10.1mil CUSA distribution to MTSU. Why the large discrepancy compared to the other conference members (2nd highest distributions was $6.1m to WKU)?

3. Lady Raiders' ability to host in NCAAT. How does that bidding process work, and is it good for the game?

4. SAPC progress

5. New Taymar Sales partnership. How does their partnership intend to boost athletic-wide revenue?

6. "Transparency" comment from first interview. Seems to have drawn a lot of attention from the first go around.

7. Blue and White game upcoming.
These are all GREAT topics.
#1 an absolute. I only give at the True Blue level to BRAA so just a few hundred a year. Throw fans like me a bone to support NIL, especially those of us far away that can't make a Saturday practice (not faulting for that though as it is a great start)
Related to that, what are his thoughts on the way things are headed? Unions? Employees? Standard payments? We of course can't match big schools. Where do we fall in the order?

#2 It's been not just this year. Didn't we get more the previous year as well?

#3 Sore spot for me. With the women's being based on seedings to host, does he feel that should change to bid hosting like the men's? McP is on the NCAA committee. What are his thoughts?

#4 Also what is the timeline for Murphy? Loading dock work is first of course. Is the track coming out and what will happen with indoor teams until the IPF is built...will it have a track?
Will football video board be up for this fall?

#5 What is this? The press release was very vague. What will they do? Does this mean the end of us using Ticketmaster? Which is also used for BRAA donations by the way.

#6 The email on McD helps. Contract? Don't need details and not looking for an argument, but just say if he's been extended and leave it at that. Facts. We are a public institution and part of my small donation pays for his salary. I'd like to know when that contract I'm paying on ends.

Mine....
Are there any BRAA events planned for opening weekend? Been a long time since we've opened with a regional FCS team, new coach, holiday weekend, etc. Should be a great crowd.

I noticed when I was there last that the track/soccer stadium was looking rough. Weeds, paint, etc. Has that been fixed? Are there other small athletics projects like that to be done?

We've been told some of the apparel that D Mase wears will be available this summer, by season start. That still on track? (I should probably ask Chelsea that)

Not interested.

Ready for them all to retire so the next generation can give it a go. They have completely and utterly failed our University and alumni for a large portion of the last two decades. And they have zero insight and not an ounce of shame regarding it all.

Actually, ask him when he plans to retire. We're all ready for it.

I noticed the soccer stadium was looking rough as well last time I parked in the Greenland lot.

I would love it if Chris would actually say how many season tickets we’ve sold for football and what our goal is. Also, what will the new capacity be for Floyd stadium.

I would love it if Chris would actually say how many season tickets we’ve sold for football and what our goal is. Also, what will the new capacity be for Floyd stadium.
This.

I've never understood not sharing season ticket numbers. I mean WVU even put bonuses in the new contract for MBB coach Darian Devries. 5k-6k season tickets means $10k, anything above 6k means a $20k bonus. Make the coaches put in the work to build up those numbers besides just wins. Be a marketer and go out and sell the program.

Not interested.

Ready for them all to retire so the next generation can give it a go. They have completely and utterly failed our University and alumni for a large portion of the last two decades. And they have zero insight and not an ounce of shame regarding it all.

Actually, ask him when he plans to retire. We're all ready for it.
A few years back, Georgia State and Dayton really did their homework and dodged a bullet. Just sayin’.

The topic everyone wanted to address is in the first 20 minutes.

It sounds like a lot of emphasis will be put on this off-season and the pressure is applied for next season. Massaro, and I tend to agree with him, that recruiting is what got us from 5 wins to 27, 2 years ago, but the failure of recruiting is why we fell on our face this last season.

Without him giving any objectivity it sounds like this is a make or break season for McDevitt and company.

Reactions: ewglenn
First, thanks @jakeboldenbrp for doing this each week. I'll be giving a shout to CM as well because as you said, a D1 AD doesn't have to do this.

Awesome news on the Floyd video board.
Now while I don't agree with McD staying, I get it. Things can change in a year but if recruting fell off, that is on McD and his staff. There shouldn't be any reason for that. I hope they did learn and some that @OliverLBaltz is interested in do choose us. I hope this becomes a make or break year and the results are good. I get keeping him $ wise. I do.

It does bother me that CM didn't elaborate on a lower Raiders Rising commitment. Yes the events are good, but they do nothing for me being 7hrs away. I know he isn't fully over it but he does have input.

He also knows why we got so much more $ in disbursements, he just isn't saying. But I do understand why as it wouldn't surprise me if Judy said we'll give you $ to stay.

Now the whole Taymar thing makes sense. More of a marketing firm.

And he is right. It is better to have fans fuss and not agree than to not have anyone saying anything.

I don't even listen to these people anymore. Actions speak louder than words. The words, if your actions, decision making, and leadership are in the right place, promote growth and stability. When they are not they are just words that fall on deaf ears.

We have a history here of a lot of words and a lot of inaction. For all the good that making a change in football might have done, retaining McDevitt is indefensible and inexcusable.

I don't know what was said about recruiting, but if that's what was discussed can I just say thanks Captain Obvious? Of course recruiting is important. But it isn't just recruiting. It's also about much more than that which these decision makers clearly haven't figured out yet. Coaching, discipline, and accountability matter too. Rick Barnes doesn't have good teams just because he has good players. He coaches the F out of them.

So, if you go back and look at two years ago when we allegedly had better recruited players on the team, what's the excuse for the fact that McDevitt is absolutely abysmal and atrocious on the road? In that "good season" he was flipping 5-9 in true road games. And that's his best season. Moreover, the schedule was tougher but not by much. How in his "good" season can you simply gloss over the fact that 15 of the 24 wins came from Quad 4 opponents? Or that four of his losses came to Quad 3 opponents? And again this is the "good" season.

And weigh those facts against the totality of the other five years? As for not fussing he already put us through that with football. Apparently he's working on an even worse mistake than he made with Stockstill. I would argue he already has. McDevitt was a far easier call than Stock was and he still didn't make it.

Reactions: jakeboldenbrp
I don't even listen to these people anymore. Actions speak louder than words. The words, if your actions, decision making, and leadership are in the right place, promote growth and stability. When they are not they are just words that fall on deaf ears.

We have a history here of a lot of words and a lot of inaction. For all the good that making a change in football might have done, retaining McDevitt is indefensible and inexcusable.

I don't know what was said about recruiting, but if that's what was discussed can I just say thanks Captain Obvious? Of course recruiting is important. But it isn't just recruiting. It's also about much more than that which these decision makers clearly haven't figured out yet. Coaching, discipline, and accountability matter too. Rick Barnes doesn't have good teams just because he has good players. He coaches the F out of them.

So, if you go back and look at two years ago when we allegedly had better recruited players on the team, what's the excuse for the fact that McDevitt is absolutely abysmal and atrocious on the road? In that "good season" he was flipping 5-9 in true road games. And that's his best season. Moreover, the schedule was tougher but not by much. How in his "good" season can you simply gloss over the fact that 15 of the 24 wins came from Quad 4 opponents? Or that four of his losses came to Quad 3 opponents? And again this is the "good" season.

And weigh those facts against the totality of the other five years? As for not fussing he already put us through that with football. Apparently he's working on an even worse mistake than he made with Stockstill. I would argue he already has. McDevitt was a far easier call than Stock was and he still didn't make it.
I don’t disagree with anything you’re saying. Just saying how I view the decision from his perspective. McDevitt flipped the worst season in MT history to one of its winningest seasons (albeit, a poor schedule) in a matter of an off-season. That is why, in his opinion, it’s worth giving him another season to get it corrected.

I think it’s important to say he wasn’t extended, too. I do believe we’re set up for a potential, and likely, .500 season. At which point I’d say… “now what?”

Baseball, football, and MBB, the three most popular sports historically, have been allowed to wither on the vine. WHY???

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Also I think some people are being snowed with respect to being “extended”. He was given a five year deal. For some inexplicable reason he was given an immediate extension after the first season. And he just finished his sixth year so somewhere along the way whether this year or some other year he was given another extension. Because he’s already used up the five plus one.

Also I think some people are being snowed with respect to being “extended”. He was given a five year deal. For some inexplicable reason he was given an immediate extension after the first season. And he just finished his sixth year so somewhere along the way whether this year or some other year he was given another extension. Because he’s already used up the five plus one.
Details are in the premium folder but his contract is up after next year.

McDevitt was hired in 2018 with a 5 year deal that was to expire in June 30, 2023.

On September 27, 2019 McDevitt signed a new contract amendment that updated his contract to June, 30 2024. This was not announced, but FOIA requested IIRC.

At some point, his contract was amended again to end in 2025. This was also not announced, but FOIA requested and on the premium board. Someone would need to confirm the date it was signed and if the new end date is June 30, 2025.

Whether it’s called an amendment or extension is really just semantics at this point. M&M have twice lengthened McDevitt’s contract.

Last edited:
The whole thing is a terrible look. The optics on it all are horrible. HORRIBLE.

1. We are accepting and rewarding a perennial loser. We are openly admitting we have no standards at MTSU. 4 out of 6 losing seasons and he's coming back for a 7th. WHAT?

2. We are also openly admitting that we are flat broke. What other school lets a coach go into his final season without giving him an extension or firing him? I don't think I've ever seen or heard of that before. These boneheads literally are just going to let his contract expire next year. They won't even technically have to fire him. Just not renew his contract. Insane. They're hamstringing McDevitt for 2025 by not extending him. They're sabotaging the entire season in a small way because McDevitt's contract situation WILL hurt us on the recruiting trail. IDIOTS

And none of it all matters because it is little middle. Nothing to see here. Just terrible, unheard of management style/approach to our athletics department.

I am absolutely convinced Massaro has no pull within this University. The entire situation has complete and total incompetence written all over it. Only a few select people could be so dumb to run things in this fashion (7 wood, Steve Smith, I'm looking at you....)

The whole thing is a terrible look. The optics on it all are horrible. HORRIBLE.

1. We are accepting and rewarding a perennial loser. We are openly admitting we have no standards at MTSU. 4 out of 6 losing seasons and he's coming back for a 7th. WHAT?

2. We are also openly admitting that we are flat broke. What other school lets a coach go into his final season without giving him an extension or firing him? I don't think I've ever seen or heard of that before.
7 wood is probably counting on one more year of kickbacks

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315

2. We are also openly admitting that we are flat broke. What other school lets a coach go into his final season without giving him an extension or firing him? I don't think I've ever seen or heard of that before. These boneheads literally are just going to let his contract expire next year. They won't even technically have to fire him. Just not renew his contract. Insane. They're hamstringing McDevitt for 2025 by not extending him. They're sabotaging the entire season in a small way because McDevitt's contract situation WILL hurt us on the recruiting trail. IDIOTS

And none of it all matters because it is little middle. Nothing to see here. Just terrible, unheard of management style/approach to our athletics department.

I am absolutely convinced Massaro has no pull within this University. The entire situation has complete and total incompetence written all over it. Only a few select people could be so dumb to run things in this fashion (7 wood, Steve Smith, I'm looking at you....)
Not renewing coaches happens quite a bit. While this is FCS, it’s the most recent one that comes to mind.

McDevitt was hired in 2018 with a 5 year deal that was to expire in June 30, 2023.

On September 27, 2019 McDevitt signed a new contract amendment that updated his contract to June, 30 2024. This was not announced, but FOIA requested IIRC.

At some point, his contract was amended again to end in 2025. This was also not announced, but FOIA requested and on the premium board. Someone would need to confirm the date it was signed and if the new end date is June 30, 2025.

Whether it’s called an amendment or extension is really just semantics at this point. M&M have twice lengthened McDevitt’s contract.
The definition of insanity. Keep doing the same things and expecting different results.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I am absolutely convinced Massaro has no pull within this University. The entire situation has complete and total incompetence written all over it.
What makes you think Massaro can’t be completely incompetent? The guy is weird and a loser. Horrible face of our athletics.

How about growing a pair and tell him yourself? He’s at the vast majority of MT sporting events. But sure, ask someone else to do it for you. SMDH.
There’s a manner in which to get the same message across to him without taking it to that level. I’ve met with him twice face to face and he knows full well how I personally feel about the downward direction the Athletics Dept. has gone for many years now under his watch. After the loss to Tech yesterday
I was reading bio of the guy CM promoted to Head Baseball Coach after his other hire “resigned”.
Another South Carolina buddy hire. 🤐

Last edited:
I've given some thought to the Nick McDisappointment situation and since they are keeping him for next year, it's really a No Win Situation.

If he continues on the same path of losing next year, he will be dismissed and it will be another lost year for fans. It also further hurts our chance of a conference change in a very critical timeframe when the college landscape is literally changing before our eyes and probably will not look back.

If he somehow manages to put it together and show success, he will be extended likely 2-3+ years. That sends a message to the Administration they got it right by ignoring years of losing. Future coaches will be measured by that same measuring stick. It will be okay to be a loser for 5-6 years, because it might come together in year 7. But, what if next year is good enough for them to extend him and it was a fluke season. He has just one good season during a contract year and then it's back to losing again. Then we are stuck again, but this time for the rest of the contract.

It seems like it's all headed toward make or break next year, but then that means he gets an extension based solely on putting it together when his job is on the line. I would prefer at least 2 seasons in a row proving he can actually put together a winning team, but that's not where we are heading.

This is a No Win Situation by retaining him in my mind.

I've given some thought to the Nick McDisappointment situation and since they are keeping him for next year, it's really a No Win Situation.

If he continues on the same path of losing next year, he will be dismissed and it will be another lost year for fans. It also further hurts our chance of a conference change in a very critical timeframe when the college landscape is literally changing before our eyes and probably will not look back.

If he somehow manages to put it together and show success, he will be extended likely 2-3+ years. That sends a message to the Administration they got it right by ignoring years of losing. Future coaches will be measured by that same measuring stick. It will be okay to be a loser for 5-6 years, because it might come together in year 7. But, what if next year is good enough for them to extend him and it was a fluke season. He has just one good season during a contract year and then it's back to losing again. Then we are stuck again, but this time for the rest of the contract.

It seems like it's all headed toward make or break next year, but then that means he gets an extension based solely on putting it together when his job is on the line. I would prefer at least 2 seasons in a row proving he can actually put together a winning team, but that's not where we are heading.

This is a No Win Situation by retaining him in my mind.
I agree. The only way to save face is if he does have a good year and they do extend him, do it no more than 2yrs with a super low buyout. I mean if he had a good year with 1yr remaining on his contract then he should be fine with a short contract. He already is paid high for a CUSA coach. So make the buyout school friendly, like $200k friendly.

I 100% think he should be gone though.

Honestly, buyouts are stupid but especially stupid for underperforming coaches. At least Stock earned his buyout (At the time that it was signed)

Reactions: Hop45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT