ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Macie Phifer Commits

jakeboldenbrp

Blue Raider
Silver Member
Jan 2, 2024
Shelbyville, TN

Lady Raiders get a commitment out of '25 5'11" Wing Macie Phifer!

Phifer was just awarded Gatorade's Mississippi Player of the Year award after leading Ingomar to the third state title in four years. SHe averaged over 20 points, 6 rebounds in her junior season.

That totals 2 signees in the '25 signing class with the addition of Carsyn Swaney from Heritage HS (TN). Great class so far, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear from one more this summer!

Didn’t seem like many big time offers for someone with her apparent skills
Neither did Gregory, Wheeler, Boldyreva, Scott, or Whitson. “Big time offers” doesn’t equate to level of skill.

I’d take the counterpoint a step further, the highest rated commitment the Lady Raiders have ever had, Amiya Payne, played 5 games here and is currently a benchwarmer at UAB.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Neither did Gregory, Wheeler, Boldyreva, Scott, or Whitson. “Big time offers” doesn’t equate to level of skill.

I’d take the counterpoint a step further, the highest rated commitment the Lady Raiders have ever had, Amiya Payne, played 5 games here and is currently a benchwarmer at UAB.
Phifer's recruitment appears similar to Blair Baugus. Recruited by Middle Tennessee, UAB, Belmont, etc thus far for 2025 class. Doesn't appear to be in any hurry though. Speculating she's holding out for a P4 offer. 2025 opportunities are filling up here at MT. Was hoping she would have committed already, but looking more & more like she's willing to risk a great opportunity for what she may consider a higher caliber school.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
The best thing these girls can do is commit early. They can still hold out for a better offer but if your uncommitted, you risk having to settle for a lesser program. The list of schools that would offer her that are better than Middle is not a big list.

Most successful recruitments for MT are gonna look similar to Swaney, Phifer or Jada Harrison, who was a legit 4 star signee whose first offer was MT. We need to get longer in the backcourt our 2 commits for 2025 are a good start

If was MT's volleyball coach, I'd gauge her interest in playing 2 sports

I think Ricks first class had the highest rated recruits, followed by Amber the next year

I think Ricks first class had the highest rated recruits, followed by Amber the next year
Not sure that parallels to today's player ranking services like ESPN/HoopGurlz, etc. with what they had in 2005. I know Holt was a Junior College All-American before transferring to MT. That's why I say that all means nothing to me. Payne was a unanimous 4-star and #89 in the country according to ESPN and couldn't get PT behind these girls you're concerned don't have bigger offers. Same argument could be said for Rellah Boothe who was a McDonald's All-American and transferred in from Texas. Point is -- regardless of where your offers are from or where you're ranked is irrelevant. Lady Raiders have done pretty well for themselves with their scouting philosophy.
I thought I was the only one thinking this. We are her best offer.
Being the first team to the best players in Tennessee and it's surrounding states has worked pretty well for the last 19 years. I'm not going to challenge it now. CRI is really good at identifying that talent and getting that verbal before the bigger offer comes. I'm sure the local "bigger offers" were upset they missed Krystal Horton, Alysha Clark (went to Belmont first), Anne Marie Lanning, Ty Petty, Alex Johnson, Courtney Whitson, Jaylyn Gregory, Ta'Mia Scott.

I don't think it should be ridiculed that they chose MTSU because they didn't have anywhere better to go. It's apart of the recruiting process to lock those players down early before that secret gets out, just like everyone I mentioned above.

I don't think you mean it this way, but it's not good optics to recruits/their parents who may stumble upon these forums (they are free to the public to view) when they search their name and someone is concerned "Where are the bigger offers?"

Phifer's recruitment appears similar to Blair Baugus. Recruited by Middle Tennessee, UAB, Belmont, etc thus far for 2025 class. Doesn't appear to be in any hurry though. Speculating she's holding out for a P4 offer. 2025 opportunities are filling up here at MT. Was hoping she would have committed already, but looking more & more like she's willing to risk a great opportunity for what she may consider a higher caliber school.
Her being from Wayne County is probably why she's so well hidden (same as Savannah Davis at 1A McKenzie). However, her AAU team, AL Southern Starz, is legit. They've produced quite a few Top 100 ESPN/HoopGurlz recruits over the years.

Know who else is on that AAU team with Baugus?

I agree that especially the last 3-4 years MT's women's recruiting has been excellent.
Middle Tennessee is one of G5's top 3-5 women's basketball recruiting schools in America. As long as we keep Matt around that recruiting ability will continue to only get higher & higher. We already recruit better than a large portion of the power schools.

I agree that especially the last 3-4 years MT's women's recruiting has been excellent.
Middle Tennessee is one of G5's top 3-5 women's basketball recruiting schools in America. As long as we keep Matt around that recruiting ability will continue to only get higher & higher. We already recruit better than a large portion of the power schools.
Good for our future prospects if, indeed, he is hired as next HC after Rick. Very few coaches with SEC head coaching experience out there and he's one of them.

I think it's been obvious the last few years that Rick has been preparing Matt to take over, he does as much during TO's as CRI. I'd say naming him CRI's successor should be a slam dunk, but nothing ever is with this administration

Reactions: MTOleBlue and Hop45
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT