ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee @ Syracuse (ACC Extra), 2:30 PM, Saturday, September 9, 2017

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
thread is a work in progress:

visitnew.jpg

Syracuse University
Founded: 1870 Enrollment: 21,970 (Undergraduates 15,097, Postgraduates 6.170)
Colors: Orange Nickname: Orange Fight Song: Down the Field
Series: First Meeting
Stadium:
Carrier Dome (49,262) Surface: Field Turf
Head Coach: Dino Babers (Hawai’i, 1984) Record at SU: 5-8 (.385) (2nd) Overall: 42-24 (.636) (6th)
2016 Record: 4-8 (2-6) Bowl: None
Starters Ret./Lost: 21/3 Lettermen R/L: 42/18

Weather Forecast:

Where: Carrier Dome, Irving Avenue, Syracuse, NY 13244

Stadium Policies: Guest Services A-Z

Parking Guide: Parking Lot Guide A-Z

Television: Television: ACC Network Extra - Play-by-Play: Doug Sherman, Analyst: Doug Graber

Radio: PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Wes Counts, WMOT FM 89.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS AM 1450 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 100.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 101.9 (Murfreesboro), WPRT FM 102.5 (Nashville), National: Sirius: 118, XM: 203, TuneIn App: Search Middle Tennessee

Streaming: Audio, Video (Live Video: WatchESPN)

Live Stats: live stats

Newspapers: syracuse.com, The Daily Orange,

Message Boards: Syracusefan.com, ...

Blogs: Syracuse SBNation, Orange Fizz, Inside The Loud House, orange44, , , ,

Athletic site:
Cuse.com, GoBlueRaiders.com

Media Guides:
Syracuse, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: Syracuse 2017 SBNation, Syracuse (Orlando Sentinel #76), Middle Tennessee 2017 SBNation Preview, Middle Tennessee (Orlando Sentinel #73),

Game Notes:
Syracuse Game Notes, MT game notes

Roster: Orange , Blue Raiders

Game Previews:
Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders vs. Syracuse Orange Preview and Prediction, ...

Twitter: @Cuse, @CuseFootball, @CoachBabersCuse, @LoudHouseFS, @CuseEndZone, @CuseOrangeFans, @DOsports, @OrangeFizz, @loudhousefs, @JohnCassillo, , , ,

Hashtags:
#OITNF, #OrangeNation, #Cuse, #OrangePride, #BlueRaiders,..,

Facebook: Syracuse Orange, Syracuse Football,

Youtube: Syracuse Orange

Instagram:
CusePics

Last edited:
excerpt:

...Middle Tennessee comes into this game with an 0-1 record so far following a season-opening loss to Vanderbilt 28-6. In that game, Brent Stockstill tallied 166 yards, one TD and one pick, while Richie James had a nice outing on 10 receptions for 112 yards and a TD.

Last season, Middle Tennessee went 8-5 overall and 5-3 in Conference USA play. That record was good enough for a Hawaii Bowl invitation, where the Blue Raiders lost 35-52.

Over on the Syracuse side, they came into Week 1 with a dominant win over Central Connecticut State 50-7. The Orange racked up 586 yards in that one, including 155 in the running game. Eric Dungey managed to go 28-for-36 on the day with 328 yards and three touchdowns, and was also the Orange’s leading rusher with nine carries for 51 yards and two TDs. Steve Ishmael had a monster game for Syracuse with his 12 receptions and 134 yards.

In the 2016 campaign, Syracuse went 4-8 overall and 2-6 in the ACC. It was the first season for Dino Babers and his staff, who return this year.

Middle Tennessee is 7-2 ATS in their last nine games in September and 4-12-1 ATS in the last 17 games on fieldturf. The over is also 7-1 in the Blue Raiders’ last eight games overall.

Meanwhile, Syracuse is 2-6 ATS in their last eight games on field turf and 1-4 ATS in their last five home games. The under is 5-0 in the Orange’s last five games on field turf, 4-0 in the Orange’s last four home games and 6-1 in the Orange’s last seven games overall.

Middle Tennessee started things off on a sour note in a game that should have been a lot closer than it was. Syracuse, meanwhile, beat up on an overmatched opponent, pretty much as everyone expected would happen. The Orange have some real talent on offense, and if they can dial in a running game that doesn’t rely completely on Dungey they’ll do very well....

No offense, CCSU allowed as many points to be scored on them by teams in their own conference so that first game is not an indication of dominance. I don't think we will win so I won't say that but we will play better than we did vs. Vandy. We just will. The matchup is better than Vandy.

Last edited:
Given our offensive line's matador style of play, I just want our quarterback to come out of the game unharmed...

I think ESPN is correct about the probability of this game being a syracuse victory at nearly 90%.

If we'd stop calling empty back sets, the kid would have more time to throw the ball. He needs an extra back blocking back there. He also left the pocket way early at times too which opened him up to getting sacked. He even said that in the press conference. Cuse is not Vandy on D. No way.

If we'd stop calling empty back sets, the kid would have more time to throw the ball. He needs an extra back blocking back there. He also left the pocket way early at times too which opened him up to getting sacked. He even said that in the press conference. Cuse is not Vandy on D. No way.
I don't know if an extra blocker would have helped. Seems like they had 15 linemen in our backfield all night. My thought was to roll Brent out away from the pursuit. I know it narrows the field but crap you had to do something for him.
I'm not a big fan of TF's system. It works sometimes at this level but he found out it doesn't hold water in the SEC.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
I don't know if an extra blocker would have helped. Seems like they had 15 linemen in our backfield all night. My thought was to roll Brent out away from the pursuit. I know it narrows the field but crap you had to do something for him.
I'm not a big fan of TF's system. It works sometimes at this level but he found out it doesn't hold water in the SEC.

I agree. I also think it's about matchups too and Mason knows TF's system. They faced off once when TF was at Cal I believe and Mason whipped him. I do think the extra back or big TE would have helped or a WR that could be a safety valve player as they rolled out more. More backfield options. This empty back crap didn't even work on Hawaii so why would it work on Vandy?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Idk about you guys but.....

Yes, the vandy game pissed me off.
No, not jumping off the cliff just yet.

Will always support my school BUT...
Only way ill be happy with this season is a BOWL WIN or CUSA championship, anything short of that is a failure.

I have a good feeling about this game a VERY CAUTIOUS feeling but a decent feeling about it.

If they dont at least show some fight in this one and make it close ill be really worried but i think they play better.

Ill say MT wins 34-31, i dont think cuse is that good and maybe the D plays inspired for shafer and offense takes step forward.

Game will be more competitive, but disappointing nonetheless. Our OL makes Syracuse look like Alabama in this one. TF will adjust and throw in more protection packages, but it won't be enough. Syracuse's superior athletes on the front 7 will continue to expose our OL for what they are, and our offense (any offense for that matter) doesn't work when the OL gets crushed on nearly every play.

Offense will struggle to get 24-28 points, Stockstill will throw 2 INT's. 1 batted ball and the other into triple coverage because he's being hurried. (Throw the ball away dude, not to the other team)

Blue Raider D will continue to play hard and improve while holding Syracuse to less than expected, but the outcome will never be in doubt due to continued offensive struggles. Blue Raider D actually holds Syracuse to 21-24 points through 3 quarters but will give up some late garbage TD's.

Syracuse 34-38
MT 24-28

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT