ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee @ Louisiana Tech (ASN), 2:30PM, Saturday, October 24

It's painful listening to Chip. Sorry, but he is awful. That other dude for color is worse. So ready for this one to be done. Arrrrgh.

I listened until we were about halfway thru the 2nd quarter and had to turn him off. He is so bad. He complains about every little thing.

It's painful listening to Chip. Sorry, but he is awful. That other dude for color is worse. So ready for this one to be done. Arrrrgh.
I hate to compare Chip to Mike Keith, but listening to Chip is miserable. He starts screaming excitedly when the other team makes a big play. He's a nice guy, a true Blue Raider, but is hard to listen to...

I hope he's laughing at us whenever he cashes his paycheck because the joke is certainly on us. 8 more years of this. Over 5 Million in cash on top of what he's already made. You're welcome Stock. Have a happy retirement.

I've tried to remain patient with Busterball, but I think the last few games (and overall performance throughout his time as OC) has shown that it is time to move on from Buster (cause let's be serious, Stock isn't going anywhere with the $5.6 million buyout).

No he's not. His retirement is funded but I will never buy another season ticket for this school ever again til he's gone. I'm no longer putting my money into this program. Why? What do I get out of it? Just tired of the same letdown.

Well actually, on 1/1/19 his base goes to $821,704. Assuming he's still here. He deferred his $100,000 raises for four years......to "help Massaro and McPhee with paying the Cost of Attendance"

I've tried to remain patient with Busterball, but I think the last few games (and overall performance throughout his time as OC) has shown that it is time to move on from Buster
Why do you think Buster is running the offense? The offense has run the same plays (especially bubble screens) Stockstill's entire tenure here with the one year exception of Tony Franklin.

Why do you think Buster is running the offense? The offense has run the same plays (especially bubble screens) Stockstill's entire tenure here with the one year exception of Tony Franklin.
We ran bubble screens under franklin. Every spread offense in the country runs bubble screens. It is an essential part of the spread. La tech ran them today. Wku runs a ton of them. We have a lot to complain about. Bubble screens aren't one of them.

We ran bubble screens under franklin. Every spread offense in the country runs bubble screens. It is an essential part of the spread. La tech ran them today. Wku runs a ton of them. We have a lot to complain about. Bubble screens aren't one of them.
The problem with a bubble screen is when your QB doesn't see or read the defender jump the route and serves up a nasty pick six

Nobody runs sideline screens as often as stuckstill's teams - it's why defenses are waiting on them every game. It has nothing to do with Mangus or Faulkner or anyone other than the head coach because it happens year after year.

Nobody runs sideline screens as often as stuckstill's teams - it's why defenses are waiting on them every game. It has nothing to do with Mangus or Faulkner or anyone other than the head coach because it happens year after year.
Just not true. I went back and watched the first half of these weeks game because you had me doubting myself. We ran 6 and La tech ran 8 in the first half. It's a vital part of the spread.

Reactions: AustinLewis
There's nothing wrong with a bubble screen and it can be quite effective if used correctly. Maybe I'm missing it but there doesn't seem to be a answer for when opposing DBs start cheating up to stop the the bubble.

In the Oregon vs FSU game, Oregon ran the bubble a few times and when the DBs started cheating up too much b/c of tendencies, they did a go route.

Just not true. I went back and watched the first half of these weeks game because you had me doubting myself. We ran 6 and La tech ran 8 in the first half. It's a vital part of the spread.
What? la tech didn't have 8 screens the entire game much less the 1st half. MT ran 5 in the first half and the 4th one with 8:50 left in the 2nd quarter was intercepted for a TD because MT is predictable with the horizontal passes. The announcer even commented on it.

That said, this wasn't a typical offensive game for MT as the run game was abandoned after the interception and the passing game went into vertical 2 minute mode for the remainder of the game.

There's nothing wrong with a bubble screen and it can be quite effective if used correctly.
That can be said for any play.

It's a problem when the offense runs a play so often the defense stops it for a loss, or worse, an interception.

Andy McCollum loved the shuttle pass but the offense ran it so much that it became ineffective as defenses were waiting on it - like Stockstill's sideline bubble screens.

La Tech ran several middle screens against MT with good results. Maybe Stock needs to try a few of those.

Someone said it earlier, we are too predictable in running the offense. Whether it's the bubble screen, draw, reverse, wishbone, shotgun, three yards and a cloud of dust, or run-n-shoot offenses, if a coach doesn't mix it up, it isn't going to matter to a quality team...they figure it out and we eventually lose. Our players, for the most part, have talent and decent skill. It's coaching and execution that is the problem. We're not well coached! Same song, tenth verse. If we don't adjust well and make fewer mistakes, Marshall will come in here and win by 14 or more for our 6th loss. It's down to the point of winning out the regular season or seeing our 2015 season ruined. The report card in the newspaper gave us an overall D- for Saturday's performance at La Tech. That's a pretty generous grade, should have been an F. Just an unacceptable game on both sides of the ball. Our punting did get some better, probably the one glimmer that can be gleaned out of this game, will say C would be about right for special teams. It's not enough to earn a passing grade on a pass/fail score on its own.

Reactions: bigbadjohn45
What? la tech didn't have 8 screens the entire game much less the 1st half. MT ran 5 in the first half and the 4th one with 8:50 left in the 2nd quarter was intercepted for a TD because MT is predictable with the horizontal passes. The announcer even commented on it.

That said, this wasn't a typical offensive game for MT as the run game was abandoned after the interception and the passing game went into vertical 2 minute mode for the remainder of the game.
I don't know what to tell you. I just watched and counted. It was 8-6. If I get bored at some point I will give the play numbers. I have no clue what your watching.

That can be said for any play.

It's a problem when the offense runs a play so often the defense stops it for a loss, or worse, an interception.
Very true. That's why every play should have a counter, a similar looking play to take advantage of overaggressive defenders (this is called the constraint theory of offense in coaching circles).

I don't know what to tell you. I just watched and counted. It was 8-6. If I get bored at some point I will give the play numbers. I have no clue what your watching.
You have a way to share the video? Upload to Youtube? Vimeo?

There's nothing wrong with a bubble screen and it can be quite effective if used correctly. Maybe I'm missing it but there doesn't seem to be a answer for when opposing DBs start cheating up to stop the the bubble.

In the Oregon vs FSU game, Oregon ran the bubble a few times and when the DBs started cheating up too much b/c of tendencies, they did a go route.
Actually we did on the play where James got it to the 5. We pumped the screen and then hit him releasing down the field.

Also we never really know what their being told to do from a play calling standpoint but it looks like to me that Collis or Stock were on the wrong page for on the Interception. Collis needed to be blocking that corner on that play. Instead of stepping right and firing at the corner he steps left and starts shuffling his feet. Not sure who made the wrong read but we had Collis and Batties with basically one corner covering them. I don't know if stock should have thrown to Collis or Collis should have blocked but it should have been a positive play.

How has no one commented on the atrocious tackling by our defense? We were terrible. Their RBs/WRs had a ton of yards after first contact. We don't know how to wrap up. Play calling has been way too predictable for YEARS. I'll be at the Marshall game, but I completely understand why folks re checking out. It's the same old crap, year after year.

Actually we did on the play where James got it to the 5. We pumped the screen and then hit him releasing down the field.

Also we never really know what their being told to do from a play calling standpoint but it looks like to me that Collis or Stock were on the wrong page for on the Interception. Collis needed to be blocking that corner on that play. Instead of stepping right and firing at the corner he steps left and starts shuffling his feet. Not sure who made the wrong read but we had Collis and Batties with basically one corner covering them. I don't know if stock should have thrown to Collis or Collis should have blocked but it should have been a positive play.
Great analysis!

Tackling has been bad for a couple of years. We tend to complain about the screens but the constant attempt at kill-shots as opposed to wrapping up is just as bad

The tackling is bad. Tackling is bad all over.

I read an article that stated that very few teams have full contact practices. There might be something to that.

Rules changes over the past few years have really affected overall play. Targeting, helmet to helmet penalties, ejections and having to sit for another half game, fewer practice reps due to practice limits vs. academics, 95 Schollies cut back to 85. More shoulder tackling without wrapping up. I could go on and on

I'm calling passes that are behind the line of scrimmage or at the line of scrimmage, with blockers in place, a screen.

La tech was throwing the ball 10+ yards down the field. MT started throwing vertically after the 4th bubble screen was picked for a TD.

I think the problem is Coach Stock has MTSU by the balls with his contract and could care less about the won loss. Someone in maybe the Newsless Journal was talking about all the records Little Stock was gonna break passing might be another reason the running game has gone by the wayside. All I know is the play calling is so predictive my wife knows want play the offense will run before the play so if she can call the plays the opposing teams sure as hell can. All I know is I'm ready for Basketball on the hardwood because "Basketball on grass sucks"! Football is over at MT until Stock is gone along with this staff.

I thought the contract took out the automatic raises, did they add a buyout clause?

I thought the contract took out the automatic raises, did they add a buyout clause?

The $100,000 per year raises were delayed until 1/1/19 in exchange for 3 additional guaranteed years. Even using the current base of $721,000, would you forego $400,000 over the next four years to get $2.16M in 3 additional guaranteed years? That math works for me. Sign me up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT