ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Final tally on the top 128 football teams this past season...

I think the actual ranking is pretty spot on when you consider we are the 3rd lowest ranked 8 win team and shortly after us you see a bunch of 5-6 win teams

For everything good that you could give them an A for (MIzzou, bowl trip, beating LA-Tech, 8 wins), there was a corresponding bad that came with an F (crushed in bowl, losses to bad teams, loss to rival WKU, didn't even sniff a conference title).

When you have a bunch of A's and and equal # of F's, you end up with a C.

That's what you get with Rick Stockstill - the bare minimum.

Reactions: MTTim
I feel like we need to give the Stock bashing a rest, at least for a bit. We wanted a change on defense an we got it. Don't know who it is yet or if it will be any better, but he at least is making the effort to get better. Our offense is in great shape. If the D can improve, we should look forward to a fantastic next couple of years. Had we not made the change on D, I would agree, but I think he has earned the right, for now, to see how it goes.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
I feel like we need to give the Stock bashing a rest, at least for a bit. We wanted a change on defense an we got it. Don't know who it is yet or if it will be any better, but he at least is making the effort to get better. Our offense is in great shape. If the D can improve, we should look forward to a fantastic next couple of years. Had we not made the change on D, I would agree, but I think he has earned the right, for now, to see how it goes.

I think bashing is a strong word for above posts. In my opinion, it is ok to be opinionated on the coach. We are stuck with him because of a rare contract stipulation that our own CM put into place. He can change everything under his purview but he should be held accountable for everything. There are a lot of people who keep saying that "...we should be good in the next couple of years". Personally, I don't buy it.

I think a C- should be the grade. Our offense was good but the D was just terrible. As for Stock bashing, I do believe we may be better next year. My problem is he did not take action until after the season. He had good reason to fire him 4-5 games into the season but my redline was the Marshall game. That was no doubt the worst defensive effort and Nix should have been fired on the spot. That told me Stock needed to grow a pair and hold his staff accountable.

I think bashing is a strong word for above posts. In my opinion, it is ok to be opinionated on the coach. We are stuck with him because of a rare contract stipulation that our own CM put into place. He can change everything under his purview but he should be held accountable for everything. There are a lot of people who keep saying that "...we should be good in the next couple of years". Personally, I don't buy it.
I've been critical myself. Maybe bashing wasn't the best word. My only point was that he is making a major change at this point, so maybe just chill a bit until we see whether or not the changes are effective. I like Stock, but this program has squandered many opportunities under his watch. First step is to tighten up this defense and he seems to be working on it.

MT a little high, IMO. Defense was a freaking disaster.

Here is my report card for 2016 for Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders (8-5):
Quality wins: Louisiana Tech, Missouri (only due to a Southeastern Conference win)
Respectable loss: Western Kentucky (let this one slip away!)
Bad losses: Vanderbilt (62) and UTEP (77, borderline embarrassing)
Embarrassing losses: Hawaii (94, only FBS game on TV on Christmas Eve) and Marshall (122)
Interesting: FAU (school all time record in points).

Categories
Passing Offense: A = 93/100
Running Offense: C = 75/100
Running Defense: F = 50/100 (note: can't rate defensive coaches higher due to termination)
Passing Defense: F = 50/100
Special Teams: B = 86/100
Coaching: C = 73/100
Game Strategy: D = 65/100, defense way too predictable; slow adjustments.

Total score 492/700: 70.29. Add bonus points for the following: Quality wins (2), school record game in points scored with FAU (1), Hawaii bowl date (1), and winning 8 games (1). 5 bonus points.

Season = C (75).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT